• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

A week or two ago, when I tried updating my Windows 8, after the update, I could no longer switch to my other GPU (I have laptop with HD 3000 and HD6770m).

I uninstalled my old drivers (both Intel and AMD) and tried installing latest drivers available (Leshcat) , yet i still could not switch to my HD6770. I tried the whole process for than two times with 2 different driver versions, but in the end decided to simply make a System restore.

Everything was working again, that is until i notices temperature increase.
Usually when I'm was using my HD3000 and PC for just web browsing, temperatures were around 43-47C, currently they go all way up to 60c for no reason.

Here's an example.
CPU usage 8% in Task Manager.

I tried changing my power setting, but nothing changed.

So what might be the cause? Messed up drivers?

#2 soistheman

soistheman

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

I use desktop and still use vista despite my pc is only 1 year old.  With vista I cannot use Virtu from Lucidlogix, so I am not completely understanding this program came with my mortherboard, but if your PC has their program, maybe you should look into your PC's manufacture to download the lastest version of Virtu as well.  This program essenseally switchs Intel's HD and GPU automatially.

#3 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Here's another one.
I am literally just browsing the web.
Makes no sense...

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3169 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

You mean GPU temperatures I suppose. I can see it as being:
1: The GPU is no longer downclocking like it used to at idle or when browsing the web making it run hotter.
2: There is dust in the system and it needs a good shot of canned air.
3: You have something that is making your GPU run at higher clocks, youtube video and such.

Does your laptop have switchable graphics by the way?

Edited by tijo, 06 February 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#5 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, switchable.
I've noticed that Chrome(The browser I use) recently have been acting weird too. Sometimes I can't launch it or it will crash/ fail to load pages and connect to the internet.
When I close it though, the temperatures go down to 43-46c.
Really weird issue. I always keep my laptop in well ventilated rooms and on a self made ""cooling pad"".

And one more thing, I've noticed that my battery also runs out faster then before.
It's as if I was using my HD6770 instead of HD3000.

#6 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3169 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

It does look like you are using your 6770, chrome uses hardware acceleration and it looks like your 6770 is kicking in as a result, try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome.

Did you try getting the drivers from the laptop's manufacturer or directly from the AMD site. If it's the latter, I would try the stock drivers from the manufacturer and see what happens.

Edited by tijo, 07 February 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#7 soistheman

soistheman

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

maybe something to do with the latest flash as it uses hardware acceleration by default. (i don't know if this means GPU though) you can disable it. see here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Edited by soistheman, 08 February 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#8 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Unchecked, nothing changed. I usually have to switch the GPU manually.

CPU temperatures keep increasing, right now, when I have only 2 windows open in chrome(no videos or flash) and no other programs, I get Max 71c/average 61c and fan is pretty loud.
When i have fully charged battery, it takes around 45minutes for it to run out.
And yesterday PC randomly shut down while showing i have around 50% battery, had to plug in the charger to start up pc.

Here's what I tried - Made a full PC scan for viruses - nothing, Got latest Intel Drivers - Nothing. Again re installed HD6770m drivers - nothing.

Will try Windows 8 Refresh or whatever was it called later, perhaps it resets everything.

Really vague problem, I've never had anything like this. I dont even use the laptop for gaming.

EDIT
After thinking about it for a while, im fairly sure I somehow messed up all the intel and amd drivers.
I'm pretty convinced my pc is constantly hopping beteween HD6770m and HD3000 without asking me it, this would explain drastic battery and the temperatures changes.

EDIT:2
After removing Intel and AMD display drivers and doing a clean instal, everything seems to be working more or less fine again, but I think i'll still change thermal paste just to be sure.

Edited by Perm Shadow Form, 08 February 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#9 Scorch Raven

Scorch Raven

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

You can change the thermal paste if you want, but make sure you use acryllic paste and not the conductive stuff. you dont want that spilling inside your laptop when it liquidifies when your CPU heats up.

The switching graphics has been an issue for quite some time, the 12.10 drivers finally resolved most of the issues I was having with my DV6, but the 13.10 seem to break it again.

I was going to suggest resetting the drivers and make sure you are using 12.10 on top of your Intel iGPU Drivers. But seems you got it working again.

View PostPerm Shadow Form, on 08 February 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Unchecked, nothing changed. I usually have to switch the GPU manually.

CPU temperatures keep increasing, right now, when I have only 2 windows open in chrome(no videos or flash) and no other programs, I get Max 71c/average 61c and fan is pretty loud.
When i have fully charged battery, it takes around 45minutes for it to run out.
And yesterday PC randomly shut down while showing i have around 50% battery, had to plug in the charger to start up pc.

Here's what I tried - Made a full PC scan for viruses - nothing, Got latest Intel Drivers - Nothing. Again re installed HD6770m drivers - nothing.

Will try Windows 8 Refresh or whatever was it called later, perhaps it resets everything.

Really vague problem, I've never had anything like this. I dont even use the laptop for gaming.

EDIT
After thinking about it for a while, im fairly sure I somehow messed up all the intel and amd drivers.
I'm pretty convinced my pc is constantly hopping beteween HD6770m and HD3000 without asking me it, this would explain drastic battery and the temperatures changes.

EDIT:2
After removing Intel and AMD display drivers and doing a clean instal, everything seems to be working more or less fine again, but I think i'll still change thermal paste just to be sure.

#10 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Won't apply it myself, will go to local pc service.

I used these drivers.
Currently have only 43-45c when watching 720p videos.
Just make sure to follow instructions, I ignored them and that's probably why I messed up everything so badly.

Edited by Perm Shadow Form, 08 February 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#11 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3169 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostScorch Raven, on 08 February 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

You can change the thermal paste if you want, but make sure you use acryllic paste and not the conductive stuff. you dont want that spilling inside your laptop when it liquidifies when your CPU heats up.

Sorry, but I haven't seen conductive paste in forever, some are slightly capacitive which isn't the same thing. also, paste don't go and spill when things heat up, if there is paste that isn't on the CPU die, it is because there was more than needed and when pressure was applied to the heatsink it spread outside of the CPU die area.

I also have never seen paste move from where it was once once applied, it won't loose enough viscosity when hot for that and what's more likely to happen with cheap paste is the solvent evaporating and the paste drying.

I have used silver based paste in laptops, diamond based paste and whatever they put in MX-2 and the behavior your described never happened and I've had temperatures in the 80s-90s as well. The only problem I ever encountered with paste due to heat was cheap stuff drying.

Edited by tijo, 09 February 2013 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users