What a load of crap, nikephoros.
@Thorfinnr: I don't think we are beating the horse enough at this point. The initial statement of nikephoros is wrong. It's been discussed why it's wrong, but even then, he won't change his opinion (and also claim it to be the most rational, optimized, and overall better point of view, just because he doesn't care about claiming such things, because he expect others to give him so much attention that they will try to prove him wrong.)
back at nikephoros.
Again, what a huge load of crap.
You find insulting to tell people that plays casually to run, what you call, "crap builds"? Well, those "crap builds", you call, and your pet chullster likes to repeat, are in most cases, what normal players call "balanced builds", whether is the sonic boon build or any other that tries to give something else/different from raw DPS, do not spend their traits in the "garbage line, that will give you nothing, and will suck your points", no, they spend those trait points on other benefits, you may consider ones better than others, I give you that, since it's an opinion, but the claim that just moving trait points from what you imply, the """""optimal""""" build, makes a build garbage, is pure crap. Just like your initial claim (this thread).
But to this point, this is just blabbering about what is good and what is garbage.
The only conclusion I see in this thread, is that some blindly believe in what Nikephoros say, and others not. And to this point, most of the ones that do not believe him (myself included), think that way because of in game experience, and consideration of circumstances.
- You wont always run a 3 warriors, 1 guardian, 1 mesmer setup if you PUGs, unless you keep kicking people or reject other classes (shit)
- You wont always have an anchor on your party if you run PUGs, or play with friends that don't like that setup, etc.
- "Better party-wide buffs" do not depend on the build or the gear (expect healing and boon duration), but of your utilities. Even a shout based build can carry a banner.
- The term casual has not been used to imply less playing skill (so no insults here), but about the lack of an organized group, that will agree on running certain builds with certain classes.
- Different party setups require different build setups to be optimal. There is no such thing as an optimal build that works optimal with any combination of classes/builds/communication methods/targets. If anyone claims that that is the case, then this game has been reduced to Tetris, with no depth at all.
@Thorfinnr: Hammer/Longbow is a common setup in builds for WvW that focus on blast finishers. Even if you deal less DPS with that setup, with good coordination, the blast finishers compensate that. At least in WvW it gives incredible results, that let you run more tanky/supportive builds, and succeed. I don't see why that can't be applied to the PvE content, I've been playing with my second warrior (built for WvW) around that build, and it works good on bounty missions, and some guildmates have used it on fractals (30+) with good results. The build should focus on banners too. But requires constant (and useful) combo fields.
Edited by Epitaph_Blade, 04 April 2013 - 09:53 PM.