Leaf on the Wind

• Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4182 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Posted Image

If you recall, we were recently told that there was going to be a WvW ratings reset at the beginning of the month. If you're wondering what happened to that, ArenaNet has decided to not implement the reset. Here's an update from Habib Loew:

Update 2/7/2013:
We’ve been keeping a very close watch on this week’s matchups and, despite our concerns regarding the recent population shifts, it seems that many of the games are quite competitive. At the same time we’ve been evaluating some possible changes to the math we use to calculate ratings. After examining a number of new methodologies for weighting the outcomes of matches we have found that our existing formulas already do pretty much what we want them to do. Certainly none of the candidates that we tried yielded better results.

In light of the strong community response to the idea of a WvW ratings reset, the results of our ratings formula investigations, and our data on the current matchups we have decided not to reset the WvW ratings at this time. All existing WvW ratings will be preserved and the rating calculation methodology will remain unchanged. Any existing mismatches should be corrected by the system in relatively short order. Now that there is less volatility in the player base for each world we expect the quality of matches to improve more quickly. This is both because the rating system is operating in a less unpredictable environment and because more stable teams tend to produce better results.

Thank you all for your feedback on this matter, and for your patience while we explored the various options. The community response was a key element in our decision making process. [Source]

#2 Obscure One

Obscure One

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Could not agree more. Doing nothing, in this case, does vastly more than doing something. The ranking system was only a problem when entire alliances of top tier guilds abandoned their servers for lower tier play *cough*kaineng*cough*warmachine*cough*teamlegacy*cough*

At any rate the irreparable damage done to the WvW community will at least be able to scar over now that whole sever populations aren't playing sever hopscotch anymore.

But anyhow, doing nothing is everything I wanted them to do with sever rankings .

#3 Saul Spotter

Saul Spotter

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1105 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Uh, my server was actually counting on the retiering.  We've ben playing the same two servers for the past 3-4 months.  And its gotten ridiculously bitter.  One side will sabatoge us or the third group even against their own interest just for the sake of ruining things.

#4 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

• Members
  • 3101 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostSaul Spotter, on 07 February 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Uh, my server was actually counting on the retiering.  We've ben playing the same two servers for the past 3-4 months.  And its gotten ridiculously bitter.  One side will sabatoge us or the third group even against their own interest just for the sake of ruining things.

Competitive rivals are a bad thing now?

#5 infisio

infisio

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostSaul Spotter, on 07 February 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

I was looking forward to retiering as well.  This is making Map Completion nearly impossible.  Our server's score is vastly higher than the other two servers, yet we never seem to capture their garrisons, so I continue to play and wait until maybe the maps switch around.  

I really enjoy playing WvW, but I'd rather my first thought upon entering be, "Where's the action?" rather than, "Can I get that vista today??"

#6 Ship Soo

Ship Soo

Ship Sooey

• Moderators
  • 459 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[ZPM]

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

View Postinfisio, on 08 February 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

I was looking forward to retiering as well.  This is making Map Completion nearly impossible.  Our server's score is vastly higher than the other two servers, yet we never seem to capture their garrisons, so I continue to play and wait until maybe the maps switch around.  

I really enjoy playing WvW, but I'd rather my first thought upon entering be, "Where's the action?" rather than, "Can I get that vista today??"

This ^

Same server, same problem. I have everything  but one vista and a POI in one darn garrison...that is in the heart of the rival servers homebase....

With no tier reset, I'm very unlikely to ever get map completion. What are we going to do? Dominate more?

And think of the 4th place team (second tier from the top). Nope, you can never get back into 1st place. Sorry.

Now I know they said " for now ", but things have a way of becoming permanent. I happen to like the idea of changing things around and clawing our way up the server rankings.

Now we just have to stay put...bah, stagnation
Misses the Dervish in the Worst Way

Want to chat or have a question? Feel free to PM me.

#7 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3975 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

I was looking forward to retiering as well.  This is making Map Completion nearly impossible.

It's pretty damn backwards to want a retiering just for map completion. But then, putting map completion behind inaccessible walls was pretty bone-headed in the first place.

#8 infisio

infisio

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostFoxBat, on 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

It's pretty damn backwards to want a retiering just for map completion. But then, putting map completion behind inaccessible walls was pretty bone-headed in the first place.

And I agree with you completely.  I don't want to be having this mindset - I just want to play.

#9 Ship Soo

Ship Soo

Ship Sooey

• Moderators
  • 459 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[ZPM]

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostFoxBat, on 08 February 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

Well, its a temporary mindset. You only need to get it ONCE...and then never again. Then you can go ahead and enjoy WvW as it was meant to be.

I mean, its a challenging goal...but its not something one person can get ....you need a really favorable set of circumstances to get that garrison.

It's NEVER been ours. N E V E R in months of looking everyday...playing and actively trying to get it...various times...

That to me is pretty unfair.

Then again, they are never going to get what they need from our server either !  :)

Edit: it's also not fair now that you can't easily switch servers...before, I'm sure a ton of people got to the same spot as me and said " hmm, which garrison do I need? Ah Gate of madness, I'll just switch servers for a week"

I call BS

Edited by Ship Soo, 08 February 2013 - 12:18 AM.

Misses the Dervish in the Worst Way

Want to chat or have a question? Feel free to PM me.

#10 MeltyLotus

MeltyLotus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

Imo they really should remove WvW from map completion. It's unfair to WvW players and it's unfair to PvE players. 500 tokens is bad enough but at least that can get done playing the game for what it is or just doing the JP daily.

Use Sunsouth and a few new maps to fill the void if they need too. Hell it would make going to those heartless maps wroth it.

#11 Volkon

Volkon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2934 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

If Garrison is the only thing you need then go take Garrison. It's simple... this implies that you've taken at some point the NE and NW towers on the map. A couple trebs set up and you're eating away at the wall. Supply starve Garrison, keep hitting the walls, they'll go down soon enough. Then work on inner. Seriously, if you can take the rest of the map than you can take Garrison. A determined siege will get it over time.

#12 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

This was the best thing to do.  Throwing us all into new tiers would lead to weeks of terrible mismatches and generally frustrating experiences solely for the sake of arriving back at square 1.

#13 ilr

ilr

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2726 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Well that's a pleasant surprise.... I'm glad they came to their senses on this one.   It probably has nothing to do with the reasons I argued**, but I'm glad they can keep pulling back from the Rift (pun intended) and then really start analyzing HOW the basic Mathematical Metrics might actually stem from a well-disguised Mechanics problem instead. (& then be solved that way).

**- (http://www.guildwars...#entry2154818...set off a mini shyt storm on its own...oh well, no one ever said any of this stuff was going to be easy, just look at how terribly S.O.E. if failing with theirs...)

Edited by ilr, 08 February 2013 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users