#1 GypsyBreath

GypsyBreath

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi Guys -

Quick question on runes.

Im staff healy build, generic 0-10-0-30-30.
Im wondering what runes to get??

Was thinking 4 Dwayna and and maybe 2 Monks (for the +15% boon)
Or maybe 6x Dwayna??

Does the 6x Dwayna cause regen if i use a cantrip and get the regen? (from traits)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 jthamind

jthamind

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

when i was a healing ele i used a mixture of monk and water, then switched to a mixture of monk and altruism. boon duration is always a good thing, and extra regen time isn't really necessary since you should be swapping attunements enough to keep it up 100% of the time or close to it. plus boon duration includes regen as well as other boons, so you're still getting what you want.

#3 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

There will be several opinions to this. Personally I run with 2X Superior Rune of the Monk, 2X Superior Rune of Water and 2X Major Rune of Sanctuary. IMHO the tiny bit of healing power from your rune set will not make a huge difference to your ability to heal allies (hence why I chose Major Rune of Sanctuary instead of Major Rune of the Monk which also has the same boon duration bonus but adds healing power instead of vitality), but the reason behind this choice was actually for boon duration. IMHO again, the reason for a staff elementalist's existence is not for as much healing power as possible, but for the provision of combo fields and useful boons also.

Increasing boon duration would certainly improve the duration of regeneration of course. Stacking lots of healing power would come at a cost to damage which can also be detrimental to the party. I think that because of the mechanics of this game, it's very difficult to be a dedicated healer and play the role of keeping your allies alive even if they don't play properly with dodging and using their own heal skills. Think of the healing from an elementalist as a supplement to team survivability, but not the only role. The second bonus from a set of Dwayna runes should help with regen from cantrips (via traits) but I've never tried it myself. Personally I still prefer a bonus across the board for all boons you produce, rather than just regeneration alone.

#4 killay

killay

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

So I suppose a full AC healing armor build with Monk runes ain't advisable? As I'm trying to do several runs a day to get that build :)

#5 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

View Postkillay, on 11 February 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

So I suppose a full AC healing armor build with Monk runes ain't advisable? As I'm trying to do several runs a day to get that build :)

Well there's nothing inherently wrong with a full set of Superior Monk of the Rune, but the question I would ask myself is: are other rune sets or combinations more suitable? The sixth bonus from that set is actually quite useful but we need to have an elite skill with a sufficiently low cooldown to take better advantage of that bonus. During initial theory crafting I had considered a full set of these runes considering they would come 'free' with AC armor which I was already aiming for with the Soldier's stats. Later I considered 3X Superior Rune of the Monk and 3X Superior Rune of Water for an added 15% boon duration and a loss of only 15 healing power. Eventually before even getting to that point I decided against that option and went for 2X Superior Rune of the Monk, 2X Superior Rune of Water and 2X Major Rune of Sanctuary. It reduced my healing power by a further 75 points but returned 15 vitality and 10% more boon duration.

TBH I didn't go entirely mathy over it, but I reasoned that healing power scaled very poorly with our water fields and also with the regeneration boon. If we stacked a boatload of it we might see a reasonable difference, but I decided to play a general role of 'support' rather than just be an outright healer which would be too much of a compromise to my own damage output.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: runes, healing, elementalist, staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users