• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JBEC

JBEC

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hey guys! So I made a sylvari mesmer a few weeks back and staying true to the mesmer color scheme, I wanted to have a touch of pink or purple somewhere in my character. Needless to say, I went for pink, and now I'm having trouble coming up with a color scheme to match my sylvari's skin and hair color.

Posted Image

Here is my sylvari mesmer in a masquerade armor preview. Tried to combine ash and midnight rose dyes, but it looks a bit lackluster. Looks kinda off with cultural armor too.

Anyone mind helping me out with this? Or could anyone give me some inspiration so that I could try and make things work with what I currently have?

#2 timidshadow

timidshadow

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[SOVR]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

The armor and purple used on the armor looks very nice. My only tip would be to stay true to the color's purpose. WHat I mean by that is if you go to the dye window and then click on the cog near the top, organize your colors by materials. Make sure that you dye metals and cloths with their respective colors to have a armor that "makes sense". It gives your pieces a believable tone in my opinion. After that just make sure to stick to a theme depending on the armor you choose to wear. If you color cloth pieces parts of your armor purple try to stay in that range for the other pieces. Hope this helps in ironing out your pallete choices.

Post what you come up with as a reply, I'd love to see it!

#3 JBEC

JBEC

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hey timidshadow! Thanks for the advice!

All right, so I really did not want to try and use Abyss since it's so hard to get, but I figured, what the hell. Previewed some T3 armor and dyed it with black to contrast with the white skin tone and added a little Peach Ice to compliment the hair color. What do you guys think?

Posted Image

I was actually thinking of remaking my mesmer into a black sylvari with a purple/violet or pink-ish glow if I can't seem to be satisfied with the look I have now.

Edited by JBEC, 12 February 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#4 JBEC

JBEC

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

And here with some Rose and Primrose dyes.

Posted Image

#5 ArcSenex

ArcSenex

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Purr]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

You're starting to look like my mesmer:
Posted Image

If you're shooting for the T3 armor, here's what you should know: the veins on the leaves takes color after your skin color (except the gloves that are bugged and gives you all 4 color boxes to freely choose)

Also, the first picture is better imo because of the contrast... all pale looks bland to me, I like a splash of contrast!

Edit: The idea of going black and purple is not bad, you could have black skin and black veins in the leaves, and use a brighter purple as a contrast, I think it could look amazing. and then find the right glow to go with it. I would get the armor first and try the colors before getting the make-over, since you might need to tweek some colors in there to make it perfect. At least I had to use another make-over kit to make it just right.

Edited by ArcSenex, 13 February 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#6 Evans

Evans

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

To be honest he's rather bland to me. Either you take a light skin tone and a bright leaf tone, or the other way around. Taking both light will make him look pale and bland.

I would suggest you make his skin tone darker, somewhere in the natural brown/green/bluish range. It will do wonders on your cultural armor too. Your skin tone is VERY defining for your cultural armor look, and it's not something you can just change. Oh and don't underestimate the power of two more typical Sylvari traits, your eyes and your glow. Your glow can be tricky. If you decide on keeping the soft pink hair, I suggest a soft white glow or very soft version of your skin tone. Your eyes on the other hand are a wild card. Personally I like them very bright. If reflects the naivity and innocense of the Sylvari. Bright white or white blue would fit well. You don't have to follow your leaf colours there.

Give it a go and experiment. They can have the most unique look in Tyria if you want it :)

Edited by Evans, 13 February 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#7 JBEC

JBEC

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

@ArcSenex:

Oh wow, I didn't realize that I was starting to look like your Sylvari. Sorry 'bout that. I agree, it does seem to be bland without the contrast. Will keep the advice about colors in mind.

@Evans:

Thanks for the detailed suggestions! Hmmm. Now that I look at it, my Sylvari does look kind of bland because of the color combination. Didn't turn out as intended. I did intend for my Sylvari to be sort of unique (I think everyone has this goal in mind really). I really like the natural brown/green/blue idea. I played around with it a bit, and came up with this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The hair color is sapphire.

In the first outfit preview, the dyes are a mix between sapphire, starry night, and midnight blue or sky.

Second is a mix between sapphire and umbra.

Third is a mix between sapphire and white.

Fourth is a mix between sapphire, white, and umbra.

What do you guys think? I think I've made him a bit more appealing now, although I'm afraid he isn't mesmer-y enough. Apologies if it seems like I'm anal about this, I just find the Sylvari character customization really fun!

Edited by JBEC, 13 February 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#8 Evans

Evans

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think he looks tremendously good now! I love the contrast in the 3th one.
Don't worry about feeling mesmery. Weapon sets will help a lot in that. And hey, what's better than one good looking mesmer? Four of you of course!

#9 JBEC

JBEC

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hey Evans! I'm happy you like what I've done with my Sylvari! Although, I'm not sure the hair color (sapphire) goes well with the skin color, as mahogany is sort of an unfamiliar color to me. Any suggestions about what I should compliment mahogany with? Or is the current setup great as it is?

Edited by JBEC, 15 February 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#10 Xephyr

Xephyr

Fashion Addict

• Members
  • 428 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[Syn]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostJBEC, on 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

And here with some Rose and Primrose dyes.

Posted Image

This one is my favorite ^^ I dont think it looks bland at all. The colors are matching nicely.

#11 JBEC

JBEC

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

So I saw a flower today (no joke) and it inspired me to make this:

Posted Image

I can honestly say that I'm reaaaally happy with this, since I can practically go blue,red,black, or  whatever dark color with it.

Thoughts?

#12 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

T3 Light Armor really needs some re-doing. I barely found a way to work with my Sylvari

#13 ArcSenex

ArcSenex

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Purr]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostJBEC, on 16 February 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

I can honestly say that I'm reaaaally happy with this, since I can practically go blue,red,black, or  whatever dark color with it.

Thoughts?

I like it a lot, and it looks rather unique! Two thumbs up!

View PostNabuko Darayon, on 16 February 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

T3 Light Armor really needs some re-doing. I barely found a way to work with my Sylvari

In what way? I like the light T3 a lot and found it easy to work with compared to a lot of the other culture/TA armors in terms of color.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users