#1 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

So it's been a while since I played Ranger, and I thought switching my build would help me get back into it. I was running Axe/Torch and Sword/Dagger with Appothecary gear for a while, but I miss Shortbow. I'm thinking of switching to this:

My Build - 20/30/5/0/15
It's pretty standard. I really like all of those utilities, too. I swap Flame Trap for Viper's Nest whenever I'm fighting something fire-resistant or if my group doesn't apply much poison. I would love to put at least 15 points into Wilderness Survival, but I don't think I want to take points from anywhere else.

My Gear -  Rampager Armor and Weapons, Thief Runes, Carrion Trinkets
I've planned it out so that I have exactly 50% crit so I can take defensive trinkets. I really don't like playing a glass cannon, not that I'm expecting this build to be tanky. And I'm not building any crit damage, but at least I can make use of the +30% crit damage I get from Skirmishing.

Torch is an obvious choice. But I chose Sword as my secondary weapon instead of Axe because I like having an evade/poison and that awesome leap backwards. I don't expect I would use Sword much unless I needed space. But with a Superior Sigil of Earth on it, at least I could cause some bleeding if I had to auto-attack with it.

Thief Runes seem like they match Shortbow really well. Ranger would also work. It's hard to say which would provide more dps. Knowing me, I'll probably go with whichever is cheaper (unless someone gives me a good reason as to why a certain rune set is better).

So before I spend gold gearing up, I figured I'd post here to see if anyone had some input. Thanks in advance!

#2 Mjölner

Mjölner

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Your avatar makes me smile =)

My first thought that comes to mind is the poison: you've got a lot of it. Shortbow #2, Sword #3, (Dagger #4) and Viper's Nest+Trap Potency - that's a lot, considering Poison can only be refreshed, not stacked. Not saying Poison is bad (it's great), but you've got many of them and you probably won't get to use them all. I'm also not sure about Lightning Reflexes - you've got a back leap from the sword and the evade, and then an evade from the Shortbow... plus your own dodging (that's got +50% regeneration from traits). Like with the Poison, this looks like it's a wee bit much. Too much pink frosting, you know. 'Course, this is personal preference... I like taking a few blows ;)

Traits: I would've gone for Sharpened Edges over Pet's Prowess, as with your crit chance (and assuming Fury), you'll be critting a whole lot, therefore bleeding a whole lot - taking advantage of Condition damage.

Your choice of runes is really solid, actually. The shortbow is a positional weapon, so this would just enhance that.

#3 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostMjölner, on 11 February 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

Your avatar makes me smile =)
Thank you! I maked it myself. :3
And by "maked" I mean I Googled some images and slapped them together... Go Photoshop!

View PostMjölner, on 11 February 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

My first thought that comes to mind is the poison: you've got a lot of it. Shortbow #2, Sword #3, (Dagger #4) and Viper's Nest+Trap Potency - that's a lot, considering Poison can only be refreshed, not stacked. Not saying Poison is bad (it's great), but you've got many of them and you probably won't get to use them all. I'm also not sure about Lightning Reflexes - you've got a back leap from the sword and the evade, and then an evade from the Shortbow... plus your own dodging (that's got +50% regeneration from traits). Like with the Poison, this looks like it's a wee bit much. Too much pink frosting, you know. 'Course, this is personal preference... I like taking a few blows ;)

Traits: I would've gone for Sharpened Edges over Pet's Prowess, as with your crit chance (and assuming Fury), you'll be critting a whole lot, therefore bleeding a whole lot - taking advantage of Condition damage.

Your choice of runes is really solid, actually. The shortbow is a positional weapon, so this would just enhance that.
I like having poison available on both of my weapon sets, but I don't really need Viper's Nest. I was just using it against Destroyers and Flame Elementals. I'm not sure what I'd use for AoE damage instead against fire-resistant mobs (other than Spike Trap).

I guess I got in the habit of carrying Lightning Reflexes after playing around in WvW. It's a handy escape/gap-closer, and it breaks stun. I guess it's the closest thing to an "oh shit!" button I can equip with Ranger. What would you recommend instead?

I swapped out for Sharpened Edges like you suggested, and I like it. I also swapped to Drakes instead of Birds, so I wouldn't really make use of Pet's Prowess now anyway. So thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by ScorpioSpork, 11 February 2013 - 03:59 AM.

#4 Mjölner

Mjölner

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

The joys of Photoshop =)

Yeah, I can understand using Poison against fire-resistant mobs (Flame Trap is pretty awesome)... hm, now that I think about it, aside from Entangle, there isn't another AoE we can use with this setup. So Viper's Nest away, I guess =)

For an "Oh shit!", Lightning is pretty good, I agree. Personally, I might've gone with Quickening Zephyr (not to be used while taking hits, of course, but before the mob gets to you - it turns the shortbow into a machine gun) or Frost Trap if survival is on the agenda: it's an Ice Field, so any projectiles (shortbow), leaps (Hornet's sting) and whirls (Whirling Defense) will apply Chill, making any mobs hit in slow motion.

Happy to help =)

#5 Dragonhawke

Dragonhawke

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

Depending on what your focus is going to be I would move some trait boints around some.  You can boost your condition damage considerably if you move points out of BM and into WS.  Going 20/30/20/0/0 will boost your own damage considerably.  If you are going to focus on dungeons and WvW zergs then that is probably your best bet since pets die rediculusly fast in both (even with 30 in BM).  Thief is a good choice for runes and Earth is a good sigil for that build.

If you are planning on focusing more on farming and roaming in WvW then you might want to consider a 0/0/30/10/30 build.  Its low on crit but has great survivability and really nice condition damage.  The best Rune for this build is the Undead set, for a sigil I might swap earth for Minor Corruption since you have lower crit with this build.  Weapon choices for both I like short bow and axe/torch.  Both keep you at range most of the time and provide a good mix of condition damage types (bleed, poison, chill & burning), but sword/torch is also viable.

Edited by Dragonhawke, 13 February 2013 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users