6 replies to this topic

#1 Vulture

Vulture

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I know the hitbox is the same size but is it just me or do melee enemies try for your actual model when deciding if they need to move closer before swinging?

I have a Charr Engineer and an Asura Engineer. The Charr takes much more damage when kiting. Enemies that chase my zippy lil' Asura trying to hit her just stand there swinging away at my fat Charr not needing to chase him.

(Yes I know they would hit both from the same spot when attacking because of the hitbox being equal, I'm talking about them deciding between attacking or moving closer. The AI )

Posted Image

Edited by Vulture, 12 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#2 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2218 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Is this something you've actually tested or just speculation?  I'm pretty sure the game doesn't even take model into account.

#3 Vulture

Vulture

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

It's something I noticed hence me saying I have 2 characters of the same class and different races with differing results.

#4 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Interesting. Would love to know if it is true or not.

#5 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3266 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

I find that the reason why I am taking more hits on bigger characters is because of the size of said characters and how they completely warp my perception of space around them: I do not see foes as well as I see them on my tiny guys and I make more mistakes.

#6 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

While I could be wrong, I'm betting that the differences noted are down to perception of the individual rather than how the game actually works. With Asura I find myself needing to have a wider berth when kiting/ circle strafting in order not to get hit. This is obviously a result of the hit box being of the same size regardless of the size of the toon. So sometimes a foe can be some distance away when it takes a swing and I still get hit. Likewise it seems humorous when I get a massive cleave coming from Hundred Blades and a very small greatsword. It's not been a major issue for me however, just a matter of adjustment.

#7 Calebrus

Calebrus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Character model is meaningless.  It's just a description of which pixels get filled in which colors.
It's your imagination, or a playstyle difference (because of the different look) that you didn't take into account.
Mobs attack your designated physical hitbox, not the key to a map of pixels.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model hitbox size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users