• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Model size & Kiting (Enemy AI not our hitbox)

model hitbox size

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vulture

Vulture

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

I know the hitbox is the same size but is it just me or do melee enemies try for your actual model when deciding if they need to move closer before swinging?

I have a Charr Engineer and an Asura Engineer. The Charr takes much more damage when kiting. Enemies that chase my zippy lil' Asura trying to hit her just stand there swinging away at my fat Charr not needing to chase him.

(Yes I know they would hit both from the same spot when attacking because of the hitbox being equal, I'm talking about them deciding between attacking or moving closer. The AI )

My mad art skillz:
Posted Image

#2 lolevy

lolevy

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

I seem to think enemies gotta be right on top of me as an Asura to hit me but i don't play the other races so I'm not sure how close those gotta be.

#3 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I feel like it's relative because of the camera zoom and model size.  it's probably about the same but because the asura has a smaller model and different camera zoom on it over a norn or charr it seems closer.

Honestly I feel the same way about my norn characters but it's not noticeable because of how large the character model is.

#4 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

• Members
  • 3100 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

View Postmatsif, on 12 February 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

I feel like it's relative because of the camera zoom and model size.  it's probably about the same but because the asura has a smaller model and different camera zoom on it over a norn or charr it seems closer.

Honestly I feel the same way about my norn characters but it's not noticeable because of how large the character model is.

Probably this.  Just like how you feel like you are running slower as a big character.

#5 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

I expect the mobs only "see" the hit box, not the character model. It may be simply that the Charr feels more sluggish in movement than your Asura. I noticed my Asura guardian appears to move much faster than my Norn warrior. This apparent difference may make an actual difference if it changes the way you play.

#6 Menehune

Menehune

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

TBH I've never really paid attention and never noticed such a difference. If there truely is a difference, it could be caused by the AI measuring the distance to the center of the hit box rather than the surface. Actually, from a performance PoV, using a single point, the center, rather than scanning the hit box or model surface for the closest point would be much more efficient and save a ton of CPU cycles.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: model hitbox size

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users