4 replies to this topic

#1 Tyraedir

Tyraedir

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hello Gurus,

First time poster here, hoping for a some advice!

Really enjoying my human thief so far (around lvl 65), and I'll be leveling to 80 shortly. In past MMOs & builds of my thief, I've tended to try to "play the field" too much instead of specializing in one role, ending up with a character who is okay at everything instead of great at something. With this in mind, here's my current projected build:

http://www.gw2db.com...80|21080|21080|
(Hopefully y'all's can access the link).

Reasoning: mostly for dungeons, aiming for high crit-based DPS with a secondary focus on support.
- Shortbow for mobs, D/D for single targets
- Utility skills: Shadow Refuge (support), Agility Signet (prec.), Caltrops (support/cond. dmg.)
- Traits: 25/30/0/0/15; instead of putting points into Acrobatics for survival, Trickery (Thrill of the Crime -- support) & Practiced Tolerance in Critical Strikes tree (+ Vitality)
- Eagle runes, berserker amulet/jewelry, Earth Sigils... pretty standard

So, this build offers crit/cond. dmg., but is it too squishy?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

#2 da KunG

da KunG

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi there,

also a first poster here, just my humble opinion on this topic.

The team and support spirit is always a welcome mind set but I think you should move the 15 points into acrobatics.
Simply it gives you the mobility (ok 150 vitality is also nice) and so to say more room for mistakes, or the enhanced ability for kiting.
(swiftness + 3rd dodge is really a gift, add the endurance refill of agility signet for more kiting action).

There are some encounters, well at least for me, I don't wanna stay in melee range.
Always have a Plan B, a dead thief deals no dps :)

#3 Vysander

Vysander

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[UNS]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostTyraedir, on 13 February 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

*snip*

Well, your link is giving me a re-direct issue (something i've been getting from curse while at work recently)

The build looks like it would be solid. What armor set are you looking to use?

Currently for general PvE (dungeons, fractals lvl 18-30) im running 0/30/0/25/15. Looks like this- http://gw2skills.net...qxWjrGZNLLGjMhA

Im running full berserker armor with divinty runes. Im using what i would call the "bunch of stats" jewelry, the triforge pendant, solar and lunar ascended rings and the karaka earing with the other earing being a bersekers. I typically run eith D/D & SB or P/P & SB but will also run D/D & P/P. All depending on what dungeon or fractal im in.

This setup is, to me, the best balance of dmg and survive-ability i've come across. This is kind of an expensive build, or otherwise hard to obtain, but similar effect can be obtain by mixing defensive and offensive focused jewelry/armor. The main reason i enjoy the bunch of stat variety of equipment because you end up with alot more survive-ability, while only taking a mild hit to raw dmg and crit chance, but maintaining the crit dmg you would get from having full berserkers armor and jewelry. I believe with my setup im at 100% crit dmg with crit chance in the 52%-55% range.

The reason for 15 in trickery is purely for the extra initiative.

Utility skills are situational as well. I will often swap out signet of shadows for either signet of agility, smoke screen, blinding powder (only fr dredge for extra stealth time), and more rarely scorpion wire or haste.

To comment again on your build. You will always be squishy, an you'll find it hard to be able to balance condition dmg and power/precision to where you'd be as usefull as if you focused on either one and some survivability. Not to say it cant be done, but i never felt good about hybrid on thief. (ive tried combinations of rampagers, carion, berserkers, and knights, and nothing seems to feel as good as a full on condition or power/prec build).

I'm sitting at aroun 1.2k armor with ~18k HP and i can typically survive longer then anyone in the party apart from full heal or tank gaurdians.

#4 Tyraedir

Tyraedir

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Perfect guys/gals, thanks for the tips.

Looks like I've ended up building for a "glass cannon" without having mastered the art of dodging, so either of the suggestions made would give me some "wiggle room", which would be good too.

#5 Jules L

Jules L

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

Hullo!

I can't seem to access your build from work, but it sounds like you're thinking in the right area. Like Vysander said, however, I think it's more practical to specialize in either condition dmg or pow/prec/crit, rather than both. You might enjoy a crit build more if you like to use D/D for single-target damage, but it's really all up to you.

I run a build similar to what Vysander posted, 0/30/0/20/20, with Thrill of the Crime and Bountiful Theft in the Trickery line for a smidge more group support. My gear is full Berserkers with ruby orbs (would love Divinity runes but they're more than I can afford at the moment) including jewelry, and I occasionally switch out some armor pieces for Valkyrie stats. I use any combination of SB, D/D, S/P, D/P, or P/P depending on the situation.

I really enjoy having 15 in acrobatics for the extra dodge, but it's not really necessary if you time your dodges well.  I just like having it. :P The extra vitality is a nice plus, too.

Edited by Jules L, 15 February 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thief, build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users