• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cuenne

Cuenne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Hello , I started to play guild wars 2 one week ago and my necromancer just hit level 20. Leveling is fun also does the events. I Got 2 questions that I'd like to ask.
  • At what level does leveling gets faster ?
  • I was also wondering , when will I start to see better loots and equipments ?
Thank you
-Cuenne

#2 Arduin

Arduin

Q&A King

• Site Contributors
  • 4284 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

1. Each level roughly takes you 1-1,5 hours. It doesn't get faster later on. You could speed up levelling by using xp boosters or crafting, but all in all, levels are pretty easy to come by in GW2.

2. Depends on what you mean by better loot and equipment. Most karma vendors (which come available after you complete a heart) sell masterwork items which should be usable for 10 levels. You can also craft yourself, or simply buy items form the Trading Post. Every sub-80 item is pretty cheap. Equipment only starts to be important after you've hit 80, in my experience. Keeping your items on par with your level isn't a must, it just makes the experience a bit easier in PvE.

Welcome to Guru :)

Edited by Arduin, 13 February 2013 - 09:41 PM.

Feeling your post got wrongfully deleted? Thread locked? Want to chat? Send me a PM. I won't bite :eek:

Be wary of expressing your opinion as fact; facts can be proven wrong.

#3 Cuenne

Cuenne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Seems good,
So should I craft myself my own pieces of armor using tailoring ? if its worth it or I should continue to use what storyline quest and loots gives me ??

And thanks for the welcome :)

#4 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

I definitely recommend crafting, especially in the early levels. You'll gain a lot of experience, too. And a lot of the armor you can craft has a unique appearance, and you can choose which stats are applied to each item (you might want to look up a crafting starter guide on Youtube).

#5 Yui San

Yui San

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostCuenne, on 13 February 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

Hello , I started to play guild wars 2 one week ago and my necromancer just hit level 20. Leveling is fun also does the events. I Got 2 questions that I'd like to ask.
  • At what level does leveling gets faster ?

• I was also wondering , when will I start to see better loots and equipments ?
Thank you
-Cuenne

First of all welcome to Tyria. :-)

A nice way to get some extra experience is to do the daily achievement on the character you are working on. You can do that mostly as you explore maps. So it doesn't take much extra time. And events also give a very nice amount of experience. Crafting helps of course but you gotta have the mats. Jewellery is one of the easiest and cheapest crafts and it's useful for all professions. For the mats it's also easy since you get almost everything you need if you contstantly keep mining ore as you travel around. Also make sure that you complete maps a 100% since you get an extra amount of exp when you are done. You can also explore all the major towns like Rata Sum, The Grove etc. That one isn't really for fast exp but it's a nice amount that you can get with no problem.

Edited by Yui San, 14 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#6 NELiXERY

NELiXERY

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[TS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Just do the dailies every day, then when you're done doing that, focus on the monthlies. This way, you'll rip through the game in just a couple of months. It only took me five months to get to level 80.

#7 escada_assassin

escada_assassin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

In my experience, the faster leveling is at low levels, since I'm now on my necro at level 66 and it goes so slooooow that almost feels like not advancing at all. Up to this level it was almost too fast. For fast leveling I'd recommend you to do a lot of event chains that respawn at a higher pace, something like the chain event in Harathi, which a lot of people know about. And better loot? If by better loot you mean something that's actually worth selling and returning some nice gold - like rares and / or exotics - that should be the case of high level areas or, after reaching level 80 - even (they say, I couldn't swear about it) in low level areas. But I got nice rares that came in handy even when I was level 35-40 in areas like Harathi or Gendarran. You could also just gather materials and sell them - materials like Ori Ore / Mithril Ore (for higher level), ancient wood, T5 & T6 materials etc. - that should net you some nice cash every day, but that's for higher level chars.

Edited by escada_assassin, 14 February 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#8 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Play the story, you get nice XP for it. Also do the dailies, you don't get too much XP for them, but ti's still worth it. Crafting is the fastest way to level, but it's expensive, so you can only do that effectively, if you have enough gold. Crafting is nice for leveling alts, once you have a lvl 80 character, that can earn money by running dungeons (for example), but for your first characer it's not that important, though you can still get a few XP that way.

Besides that the fastest way to level is to complete areas. Every heart quest you complete and every Poi, vista and waypoint you discover is rewarded with XP. And once you have completed an area, you get a nice reward, some XP and some other stuff. For completing lvl 60+ areas (Fireheart Rise, Mount Maelstrom and everything above) that reward includes 2 exotics.

The loot, you get depends on your and your opponent's level. Enemies, that have a higher level, than you drop better loot, so make sure to fight slightly stronger opponents, if you can, but don't fight too strong ones, or you're not doing enough damage to kill them in a reasonable time. You can start working on the completion of Fireheart Rise or Mount Maelstrom before reaching lvl 60. Being in a group also helps a lot, because it makes everything go faster.
And as already mentioned, do as much events, as you can.

When I leveled my first char, I was always running around with 1-2 friends and it took me about a week to reach lvl 80.

#9 Cuenne

Cuenne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thank you everyone :) all of these feedbacks and suggestions gave me a good base of what to do and what to forus on, I'll try to focus on these and see how its going. I might also start tailoring since I will be able to craft some nice armor for my necro and I saved some mats.

For the above poster, I wish I had friends in gw2 like you do , It would be pretty fun and easier :P

#10 Maxtofunator

Maxtofunator

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Unlike what other people have said, I feel like the leveling is pretty slow from 1-20, as it seems a lot harder to fight something 3 or 4 levels above you at that time due to not being in full gear or having access to at least all your utility slots.
I feel like you level the fastest from 40+, and definitely from 60+, but my first 80 was a thief and I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do with him for a while, and my second was a mesmer, which is obviously weak at lower levels.
However, I rarely ever get good drops unless it is from an event chest, so I do a bit of shopping on the TP, orelse I craft it, or get it from karma vendors.

#11 Khrushchev

Khrushchev

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[GT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Personally, I leveled my Mesmer almost exclusively in dungeons past level 35. Each one gives about 2/3 of a level per path compete.

#12 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

Tailor is one of the more expensive crafts, though. Chef is the cheapest one, followed by Jeweler and Artificer, so I would choose two of these. All the others are pretty expensive.

Here's a list, that shows, how much it costs to level any crafting profession to lvl 400:
http://gw2crafts.sal....net/total.html
These are the cheapest possible ways to reach the max level and the prices apply only, if you follow these guides. Even if you don't follow them, the tendancy is the same.

Chef, Jeweler and Artificer can be useful for a Necro as well. Chef and Jeweler are useful for every class. Artificer doesn't only make Staves and Scepters (which can be used by a necro), but also portions.

Btw: My first character is also a necro, awesome class :)

I kind of agree with Maxtofunator, I'd say at lvl 55 you can go to a lvl 60+ area and start to work on completing these, so it gets a lot faster there. I usually start leveling by crafting 1-2 professions to 400, before leveling the normal way. After that the next 5-10 levels are pretty easy an fast, because it's so much fun to walk around and just do stuff with the new created character. Then I play my personal story to catch up to my character level. When I'm done with this, my character is around lvl 25 or 35, depending if I started with chef only or spend the mony on a second crafting profession. This is, where it gets boring and slow until lvl 55, where it starts to be fun again.

#13 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

WARNING:  HUGE WALL OF TEXT INFO DUMP OF THINGS I WISH SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME MONTHS AGO WITH SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS AND SOME RAMBLING.

1.  Leveling in this game is actually pretty linear but your first character is the hardest.  The best I can do is give you my ideas about how to level faster.  The baseline is about 1.5 hours per level, but if you do all this, you can average a little better, I tend to average an hour or so now.  Bear in mind some levels will be super fast, others will seem to drag.

For what it's worth I think you're in the slowest part of leveling right now, and your first character is the slowest because you don't have a level 80 to feed you resources.  But it gets better, I'm a very casual player who doesn't even play every day and I have three level 80 characters within 5 months, and the last two were way easier than the first one.  My first character was way harder than the others but it still wasn't bad compared to the usual MMO.

Since you are trying to craft and level up at the same time, here's my advice.  You may have done some of these already:

A) Get all the vistas, waypoints and other things on the map in the large cities.  Do this now, you need to learn where this stuff is, and while it's not a lot of XP it helps get you along.  You'll also have all the waypoints in the cities which is useful and you'll get a few transumation stones to play with.  They're kind of worthless but they're fun, it's something.

B) On subsequent characters I don't know I'd do this as much, but on your first character complete entire zones of the map.  The reason you want to do this is you'll get boosters and other general utility items that help out a bit, plus this leads to you combing the whole zone pretty extensively so you'll hit all the resource nodes on the way.

If you ever do go for World Completion it's good to have at least one character who explores all zones completely just so you can start that process and not have to worry about going back and getting missing things later.  Some people do the whole thing on all characters though (not me!).

C) Most new people find at some point that they can't actually complete an entire zone at a time.  What I mean by that is they'll start a 25-35 zone, get to about level 31 or so, and they'll have just a few things left they can't do because the enemies are four levels above them but most of the map will be complete.  They won't have anything left to level on to get to the highest level possible to finish the last few things.

This can be mitigated somewhat by constantly mining resources in the zone and doing every event you come across too, but it still happens.  What you may have to do at some points if you get stuck is go to another zone that's below your level, complete it, and then come back.  It's a little annoying but you shouldn't have to do it too much.

D) Food.  Eat it.  Use it.  If you don't level Cooking don't worry because most guild vaults are full of free food, because people level cooking and make so much low level food no one wants.  Join some mega guild that invites everyone if you have to and see what you can score.

You don't give two cares what food it is or what level it is as long as you can use it at your level, because the XP boost is the same for all food.  The other bonuses are nice but you're not worried about that yet at this point.

E) Crafting.  Here's what works for me.  There's lots of other ways to do it.

First some research will help, once you learn how GW2 crafting works you won't need a guide, but maybe check out a crafting guide or two for your first attempt at it.  The short version is, always make discoveries at the upper limit of your current ability rather than try to discover all possilbe items.

Pick your two crafts, and don't do what I did and pick two that use the same kinds of resources.  My first character did Armorsmithing and Weaponsmithing and that was a big mistake (it's fine now but at the time it sucked).

If you're doing Tailor, which uses a lot of cloth and leather, probably pick something like Artificer that uses mostly wood, or Weaponsmith which will use mostly ore and some wood.  Avoid any of the other armor making skills.  Jeweler and Cooking wouldn't overlap too much either.

As commented before, some crafts are cheaper than others.  Cooking is probably the least expensive by a good margin.  I personally pick what's most useful to me but that makes life harder.

Anyway, what I like to do is I keep both my crafts at 5 times my level until I hit level 60.  So if I'm level 30, I strive to keep both crafts at 150 each.

Now this is important:  I would only farm materials for crafting on your first character, I wouldn't buy them just yet.  This has a triple bonus because you save money, you learn what you are willing to pay other people to get materials for you, and you get XP farming up the mats.

Even if you don't finish the crafts by level 80 I think not buying any mats until you get to a certain point in the process is a good idea, because you can make so much more money at level 80 than you will right now.

Now once I get both skills to 300, what I will do is gather a big hunk of the mats I need to finish to 400, I will actually buy them if I have to, and I will make sure I have enough karma for recipes.

I will then set everything up, pop a Crafting Booster, and have an epic crafting hour and work on one craft at a time and push it to 400.  I just go for broke, and I try to do this before I'm level 80 but past level 60.

I find this method gives you a little XP boost consistently through the lower to mid levels, it gives you gear that's on your level, and it gives you a nice jump ahead at the higher levels.  It also represents a good compromise between saving time and saving money.

You can get these crafting boosters for free if you complete entire zones and:

F) Do your personal quest, keep it within 5 levels of your level. The first time you do the quest it isn't quite as boring but I've never liked it.  However if you can endure it gives nice XP.
Some people like to do them ahead of sequence and that does work, but me personally, I try to do them on the reccommended level and just keep on it.  Lots of XP here and a few useful trinkets here and there.  I hate the quest story but it's a good leveling tool.

G) Some people do dungeons to level, I personally don't bother I only do them at level 80 for money but it's a viable strategy if you want to try it.

H) I've played a lot of MMOs where the way you leveled was you chain killed the same monsters over and over again many time.  GW2 is very much not like that.  Random mob killing won't get you very far very fast experience points wise.

HOWEVER bear in mind GW2 rewards some pretty large bonus XP if you kill mobs no one else has killed for a long time.

- Underwater PvE kind of sucks, but if you like easy XP, most underwater mobs aren't killed very often.  It happens more often now due to the dailies, but these areas are often passed over.  As a result, the underwater mobs can be worth a lot of bonus XP.
- Yellow mobs (neutral ones) are often not killed either, so they can be worth some pretty sweet XP.
- You can get some crazy XP if you go out to WvW late in the week (got at a time when it's not busy and no one cares, don't interrupt real WvW to do this please) and kill the mobs, they often are left untouched for extended periods so the bonus XP can be huge.  An enemy player might kill you, but if you go at a dull time and stay close to the entrance portal, this usually won't happen.
- For that matter if WvW is active, run with a big group (a zerg) that is taking over objectives on the map.  This can be pretty fast XP and for me it's a lot more fun than most other methods.  You don't have to be high level to carry supplies and help build and repair.  Just be forewarned this is a PvP suggestion, other players will kill you and will do so easily because you're underleveled, and I don't know how you feel about that.  For me this is the most fun leveling by far.

I) Grab up lots of skill points, the sooner you unlock everything the better off you'll be.

J) And this is an easy one:  do as much of your daily and monthly as you can.  Even if you cannot finish the daily or monthly, each part you complete gives you a little bonus XP chunk.

2.  GW2 is not really a "loot" game like some others; there's not too many tiers of it and it doesn't drop very often (which can be a problem for new players).  Here's my general advice for loot.

Here's where some people might not agree with me, but I think a low level character in a guild especially could get a pretty good amount of free items besides food.

And at the low levels, I say take only what you can get for free.  Only buy training manuals, repairs, and necessary Waypoint fees.

Don't ever beg because it's not necessary and it's annoying, but I think it's okay to politely ask if anyone is willing to part with low level gear they don't want or need.  Some people are actually nice and will throw you a proverbial bone because it represents no appreciable cost to them to do so.

People who craft up anything will make so much low level gear that isn't worth any gold at all on the trading post and most of it just gets salvaged or vendored.  I can't speak for everyone but I'd much rather have given more of this unwanted gear to new players than just throw it away, once it's made you can't recoup what you spent on it in any meaningful way.  I think there's potentially a lot of "stuff" to be had for the asking if you are very polite.

Asking people for surplus or unwanted items ONE TIME (especially in a guild chat) isn't wrong, for instance you could say something like "Hey everyone, I'm a noob and I really need a level 35 axe.  If anyone just happens to have one they are willing to part with that'd be awesome but don't worry about it. Thanks for your consideration."

But don't repeat yourself, don't beg, thank anyone who ever gives you anything, and never ask for money.  I am convinced however you could get a few things this way around level 40ish and below.  Past that stuff starts to get a bit too expensive to be generous with and it's better not to ask any more.

But back on topic...

Loot does get better as you keep going.  At first all the magic loot you find has only one modifier, later on you'll get 2 modifiers, and finally 3.  Also around level 60 something or so you start to see Exotic gear for the first time.

That's the good stuff, but I never had anything better than masterwork (green) with most of it being blue until I got to level 80 and I was just fine.

Be cheap and frugal until you get to level 80.

My advice is, save your money as much as you can, don't buy anything but repairs and the books from your class trainer, try not to use waypoints too often, and just don't buy anything.

At level 80 you may then be able to make or buy (it's often cheaper to buy, always check) rare gear.  Buy rare gear and use it until you can get Exotic or Ascended gear.  You won't be at much of a disadvantage this way and Rare gear is pretty cheap.

Then get your Exotic gear one piece at a time by whatever method is easiest at your leisure.
In fact you can PVP in Rare gear and be fine.  There's not a huge difference between one tier and the next, you have to go at least 2 tiers apart before it seems noticeable and even then it's not mathematically a big difference.

Most people in WvW who are running a level 80 will usually have some kind of Exotic gear, it's uncommon to find players who also do enough Fractals to have Ascended stuff and do WvW too.  They exist but it's not most people. Your Rare gear is only 1 tier behind so you aren't at some big disadvantage that way.

Anyway sorry that was long and a bit off topic, but this is an info dump I would have appreciated back when I only had one character that was only level 20.

#14 Thaddeuz

Thaddeuz

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRAP]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I got 5 level 80 and 2 level 60+.  This is where I found the more reward/time.

1) Daily and Monthly. Doing 1 daily is almost half a level. If you found some nice spot for doing events (like in queendales) you can pretty much doing that in 15-25min while getting xp from the events themselves. I never really check what the monthly give me in XP since i do it in a range of about 10-15 days.
2) Gathering give you really good XP in a real small amount of time. Don't run after it, run farm all the nodes that you see in your path while playing. The other reason for gathering is my point 3).
3) Crafting. Leveling a crafting profession to level 400 will give you 10 level exactly. So in theory you could get a character to level 80 with crafting only. Since its your first character you should simply craft with the material you got from gathering and buy some when you need just a small number of some particular material. The easiest to level up (cheapest) are Chef, Artificer and Jeweler (pick your choice but Chef and Jeweler are good for everybody and the two crafting profession that you will probably always use). Great crafting guide exist on the net so you could use the minimal amount of material (so minimum time and money) to level up these profession.
4) After you reach level 35 learn to do the dungeon AC. Each path (once you know how to do it right) can take you about 30min with a normal medium level group (take 15min with a level 80 group). Each run give you about 2/3 of a level to if you do all three path its gonna be about 2 levels in 1,5 hours. In bonus AC will give you really good amount of money and token to buy exotic gear. But not all the dungeon are great for that. CM (lvl 45) used to be fast, but they fixed most of the old tricks. TA (Lvl 55) is not bad either, it don't give you as much money but give you more events (allow you to complete you daily while doing your dungeon).

If you do these 4 things you gonna level up really fast. The good thing is you can do points 1 and 2 while questing like always, crafting is fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users