Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 2 votes

So quiet now...


  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 Wordsworth

Wordsworth

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

I played again after a couple weeks (last time I really played must have been late November/early December) and it was so, so quiet everywhere I went.

Lion's Arch, despite having a short overflow, was extremely quiet. No one talking, no LFG's for anything, no Guild Ads (I mean there are, but very, very few) and not even any spam bots. I don't miss the spammers, though. Are people not playing, or are they just grouping differently now? Perhaps everyone has jumped on board Gw2LFG?

WvW is almost the same thing (BL). The most "conversation" I've seen since returning was a troll and his feeders. Commanders talk, but that means like 3 - 5 people talking at once.

Chat is so empty seemingly everywhere that I'm curious if that many people have just left or if GW2 is simply not a social game. I was legitimately startled at how quiet chat was when I returned. Has anyone who's been playing noticed this?

#2 Juanele

Juanele

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1736 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Everyone is hunting wabbits

and Guild Wars 2 gameplay is not really conductive to the verbal social scene that you see in other mmos.

Edited by Juanele, 17 February 2013 - 12:48 AM.


#3 lmaonade

lmaonade

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1121 posts
  • Location:That one place with the thing
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

GW2 is a "social" game in the sense that you don't actually have to be directly interacting with other ppl to interact with other ppl, you could all be zombies and GW2 would still play the same

#4 Aidunno

Aidunno

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Surprised at how many people suddenly turned up to rez me having fell of a wall. Didn't realize they were around until I needed help. Often lots of people around for certain events. World is populated even in low/middle zones. Only really have guild/say displayed on my chat so not very vocal. Doesn't mean I'm not around.

#5 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Go to Queensdale.
On Sea of Sorrows Queensdale is permanently active because its the designated Dailies zone. (I would assume on other servers as well).

That is where everyone who used to hang out in LA is.

#6 Dasviidonja

Dasviidonja

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostWordsworth, on 17 February 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I played again after a couple weeks (last time I really played must have been late November/early December) and it was so, so quiet everywhere I went.

Lion's Arch, despite having a short overflow, was extremely quiet. No one talking, no LFG's for anything, no Guild Ads (I mean there are, but very, very few) and not even any spam bots. I don't miss the spammers, though. Are people not playing, or are they just grouping differently now? Perhaps everyone has jumped on board Gw2LFG?

WvW is almost the same thing (BL). The most "conversation" I've seen since returning was a troll and his feeders. Commanders talk, but that means like 3 - 5 people talking at once.

Chat is so empty seemingly everywhere that I'm curious if that many people have just left or if GW2 is simply not a social game. I was legitimately startled at how quiet chat was when I returned. Has anyone who's been playing noticed this?

People quit playing once they found out there was nothing really to do post level 80 or found the cosmetic items worth getting post 80 just took too damn long. This game just isn't as much fun as GW1 was or is and many left back for the ole carrot in front of the horse games like WOW and RIFT. The ride to lvl 80 was fun enough but that only lasts so long and then pffft the game is over for many. Only the diehards will remain and think this is the greatest MMO ever made but of course the majority of gamers who still play WOW and RIFT and other older MMO's prove that wrong.

#7 heatrr

heatrr

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

View PostDasviidonja, on 17 February 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

People quit playing once they found out there was nothing really to do post level 80 or found the cosmetic items worth getting post 80 just took too damn long. This game just isn't as much fun as GW1 was or is and many left back for the ole carrot in front of the horse games like WOW and RIFT. The ride to lvl 80 was fun enough but that only lasts so long and then pffft the game is over for many. Only the diehards will remain and think this is the greatest MMO ever made but of course the majority of gamers who still play WOW and RIFT and other older MMO's prove that wrong.

I see your still playing......

#8 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7953 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

I was just playing today in Queensdale and everywhere I went there were two or three people.  I started doing the queen wasp event and then 10 players ran up from nowhere. Plenty of players in the game.

#9 Fernling306

Fernling306

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1471 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostKrazzar, on 17 February 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

I was just playing today in Queensdale and everywhere I went there were two or three people.  I started doing the queen wasp event and then 10 players ran up from nowhere. Plenty of players in the game.

Unfortunately its one of the only active zones. I play on arguably the most populated server and queensdale seems to be the only zone with a healthy population. I am in belief that it is due to the dailies being done there.

#10 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7953 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostFernling306, on 17 February 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

Unfortunately its one of the only active zones. I play on arguably the most populated server and queensdale seems to be the only zone with a healthy population. I am in belief that it is due to the dailies being done there.

The day before I was in Malcor's Leap and there were the most players I've seen in the area, almost as many as in Queensdale.  Before that I was in Lornar's Pass with an "abnormally high" population wherever I went too. From personal experience it isn't just Queensdale. Might be a surge from guesting that allows more people to more easily play together.

Also, I remade my ele and invited two brand new players into my party that joined.  We talked and played together for about half of Queensdale.

#11 Atticus

Atticus

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostWordsworth, on 17 February 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

I played again after a couple weeks (last time I really played must have been late November/early December) and it was so, so quiet everywhere I went.

Lion's Arch, despite having a short overflow, was extremely quiet. No one talking, no LFG's for anything, no Guild Ads (I mean there are, but very, very few) and not even any spam bots. I don't miss the spammers, though. Are people not playing, or are they just grouping differently now? Perhaps everyone has jumped on board Gw2LFG?

WvW is almost the same thing (BL). The most "conversation" I've seen since returning was a troll and his feeders. Commanders talk, but that means like 3 - 5 people talking at once.

Chat is so empty seemingly everywhere that I'm curious if that many people have just left or if GW2 is simply not a social game. I was legitimately startled at how quiet chat was when I returned. Has anyone who's been playing noticed this?

Both, tons and tons of people have left because once you hit max level and plateau there is only so many times you can rinse and repeat the same thing AND because the social integration of this game was so poorly implemented people haven't connected enough to keep each other playing. This all goes back to the crux of Guild Wars 2, its built on a solid foundation of good ideas but seems to have floundered dramatically in the little things that keep a game going in the long run (I think due to a lack of testing (both player and internal) that would have shown in the first 5 sec what does work and what is clumsy and doesn't).

#12 Trei

Trei

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2910 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

Almost agreed with OP... then I realise I was in an overflow.

Again.

#13 Elysen

Elysen

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 410 posts
  • Location:England.
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

In response to the comments about Queensdale being populated...

The starter zone being populated is both worrying, but encouraging at the same time. In essence, it is proof that people are still purchasing the game. On the contrary, a starter zone being the only real populous area means more experienced players are "giving up" the game, or run out of things to do (i.e. don't find cosmetics an appropriate reward) so start the grind again on another profession.

All other zones are just a few players who are doing 2 things. Firstly, either leveling there, or secondly players attempting for 100% world completion .

There is no real reason to go back to some zones - I am currently close to my first 100% character (93% so far) and I most certainly will not return to a zone such as Sparkfly Den or Iron Marches for things that are not achievement relate (queue the "achievement whore" comments). There is just no real reason to go back.

Hence why people just LOL about in Lion's Arch, or mess about in WvW and perhaps falls asleep outside COF waiting for a farm group.

I'd like to reiterrate - other zones are dead as there is very little to no reason to return to them.

#14 chefwaffle

chefwaffle

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I think this is more of a server issue more than anything. If you want more people to talk to, then switch. From my experience, TC is a good choice if you want a talkative server.

As for people who are in overflow not talking, they are probably in voice chat or just not in the mood to talk. Why not start the conversation yourself? I'm sure someone will bite the bait.

#15 Polaris

Polaris

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

Queensdale,Kessex Hills,Harathi Hinterlands,Cursed Shore and Divinity's Edge are VERY populated on Tarnished Coast,and pretty much all areas have some players pinging (wp) events on map chat and etc.

I'd say you should transfer to Tarnished Coast or another high population server :P

#16 ShezuTsukai

ShezuTsukai

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 481 posts
  • Location:Coast of Nebraska
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Soul]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

Over the past week I have been mapping like a mad man hitting nearly all of the zones at some point and time. No matter where or time of day when an event started people came out of the woodwork.

Granted the chat was barren. But if people play like I do with guildies in the room or on vent and hands superglued to mouse/wasdv; there isn't much need nor opportunity to type in chat more than the occasional "gj", "ty" or "yw".

Guess it might come down to play style.

#17 Mystika

Mystika

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DWM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

View PostXephenon, on 17 February 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

In response to the comments about Queensdale being populated...

The starter zone being populated is both worrying, but encouraging at the same time. In essence, it is proof that people are still purchasing the game. On the contrary, a starter zone being the only real populous area means more experienced players are "giving up" the game, or run out of things to do (i.e. don't find cosmetics an appropriate reward) so start the grind again on another profession.


It's not just low levels hanging out in Queensdale........a lot of high levels hang out there too, some doing dailies and some the level 40 dungeon or working on 100% completion.
If you need help for an event post it in map chat with the waypoint link. More often than not, there will be a ton of people show up.

#18 Wordsworth

Wordsworth

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

View Postchefwaffle, on 17 February 2013 - 03:36 AM, said:

I think this is more of a server issue more than anything. If you want more people to talk to, then switch. From my experience, TC is a good choice if you want a talkative server.

As for people who are in overflow not talking, they are probably in voice chat or just not in the mood to talk. Why not start the conversation yourself? I'm sure someone will bite the bait.

It's not that I'm looking for conversation, really. I've just noticed a surprising decrease in chatter since returning that made me curious (and hoping that it wasn't indicative of the state of the player base). I would have thought LA was a ghost town if not for the fact that I'd just transferred in from overflow. The first thing I did after I noticed the eerie silence was check the server pop. and it was still "Very High".

Out of curiosity, is there a reason people prefer to do Daily's in Queensdale? I've only gotten two of these Laurel's.

Edited by Wordsworth, 17 February 2013 - 05:08 AM.


#19 Juanele

Juanele

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1736 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostWordsworth, on 17 February 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, is there a reason people prefer to do Daily's in Queensdale? I've only gotten two of these Laurel's.

High density of Dynamic Events I imagine.

#20 Mystika

Mystika

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DWM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:21 AM

Queensdale is popular for dailies because it is fairly quick and easy to do....lots of quick spawning events, lots of enemy variety, lots of gathering nodes, etc.

#21 Loperdos

Loperdos

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[THF]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:39 AM

One of the issues, and one that has been mentioned previously is that while you are in the midst of playing, it is not really conducive (with the active nature of combat) to stop to type chat with those around you.  This doesn't really explain the whole lack of chat in LA on your server, but in other areas it does.

That being said, just recently I have had no lack of players on Sanctum of Rall, much like this:

View PostShezuTsukai, on 17 February 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

Over the past week I have been mapping like a mad man hitting nearly all of the zones at some point and time. No matter where or time of day when an event started people came out of the woodwork.

Granted the chat was barren. But if people play like I do with guildies in the room or on vent and hands superglued to mouse/wasdv; there isn't much need nor opportunity to type in chat more than the occasional "gj", "ty" or "yw".

Guess it might come down to play style.


....I have been running around on lower level characters completing maps left and right and running into lots of people, comparably.  Just the other day I ran both Kessex and Gendarren and had quite the group running around doing DEs, hearts and other various things throughout the map.  It was kinda nice to see a bunch of people, especially since my RL schedule usually dictates that I am able to play at very odd hours (IE, 5am until 7am CST) when there are very few people around on NA servers.

Part of it may be perception, part of it may be the time that people are playing....without solid, concrete numbers from Anet, which ones of us really know one way or the other?  Has the population dropped from the very beginning at launch? Of course, most online games nowadays have that same phenomenon where people play for the first week, or month or whatever and then leave.  Its not surprising.

#22 Bryant Again

Bryant Again

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 859 posts
  • Location:Michigan
  • Profession:Warrior

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

I see random spikes of activity now and again, but nothing that really makes me feel that the game is empty.

But it certainly is quiet. Sans LA and occasionally the starting zones, people are pretty much silent like 95% of the time.

Edited by Bryant Again, 17 February 2013 - 08:03 AM.


#23 Dasviidonja

Dasviidonja

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postheatrr, on 17 February 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

I see your still playing......

Nope, I just visit the forums and talk about the good old days. So, go buy yourself some glasses. lol

#24 Dasviidonja

Dasviidonja

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

You do realize that a ton of people at 200lb per person is only 10 people? But, I'll be fair and give an avg weight of 150lbs and that still would only be 13 people. Hardly a huge population of players. lol

It's the ole hardcore syndrome and belief that just because there are 10, 20 even 30 people playing where I'm playin then there must be the same on every server and place in the game. haha Which as we know there aren't.

Edited by Khalija, 18 February 2013 - 08:08 PM.
Font abuse


#25 malevolence

malevolence

    Vanguard Scout

  • Community Contributors
  • 422 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LMBO]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

I don't know, in the Underworld server I find people everywhere I go, it is always populated.

#26 Heart Collector

Heart Collector

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 932 posts
  • Location:Athens, Greece

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostMystika, on 17 February 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

Queensdale is popular for dailies because it is fairly quick and easy to do....lots of quick spawning events, lots of enemy variety, lots of gathering nodes, etc.

Also, NO RISEN! I'm sick of them and so are many others. Wayfarer Foothills also has lots of people and a lively map chat.

On topic, no the game is still quite lively and vibrant - at least my server is. Mostly in starter and end game zones, the mid-level areas are a bit more desolate. And LA is, as usual, always on overflow (though that's probably because of the Fractals).

#27 Dasviidonja

Dasviidonja

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postmalevolence, on 17 February 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

I don't know, in the Underworld server I find people everywhere I go, it is always populated.

I went there and couldn't find anyone in the 20-40 zones.

#28 Cures

Cures

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FCoL]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

the game is obviously dying. only 10 min queue to LA and about 1k people at every event. so sad :P

#29 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5337 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostDasviidonja, on 17 February 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

I went there and couldn't find anyone in the 20-40 zones.

Did you try it in the middle of the night or in the middle of a workday?

I have yet to find a single zone on Underworld that don't have quite a few people running around at more or less all times.

#30 Loperdos

Loperdos

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[THF]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostDasviidonja, on 17 February 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

You do realize that a ton of people at 200lb per person is only 10 people? But, I'll be fair and give an avg weight of 150lbs and that still would only be 13 people. Hardly a huge population of players. lol

It's the ole hardcore syndrome and belief that just because there are 10, 20 even 30 people playing where I'm playin then there must be the same on every server and place in the game. haha Which as we know there aren't.

This argument can be applied to both sides of the issue. It's just as easy to say "I see no one where I am, it must be like that everywhere, so therefore this game must be dying."

A lot of this particular discussion comes down to perception and how well it is generalized to the greater population. Let's face it, no one really knows beyond a shadow of a doubt what sort of numbers are still playing the game, and until Anet releases that info, we won't know one way or the other and it is all based on subjective, anecdotal "evidence" that is circumstantial at best.

Edited by Loperdos, 17 February 2013 - 05:34 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users