128 replies to this topic

#121 Volkon

Volkon

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2934 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

GW2 is best socially done in Team Speak or the like. When you're fighting you don't have the time to stop and type out a chat. Last night I took a break from WvW and worked my elementalist up a bit in the 55 - 65 zone (mountainous one, along the story line towards Orr). I actually decided to see how difficult it would be to do the daily without being in WvW, which is where I normally do most of it. Anyhow, every event I came across there wound up three or four different people helping out. The lowest was the one where you gather ettins for the Asura researcher... one other person was helping out with that. He joined me as we brought them back, then we took out the Veteran in the last step of the chain. We didn't need to chat... just naturally worked together then went our respective directions. It was enjoyable.

View PostEl Duderino, on 24 February 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Back to on topic a bit more:

ANet should consolidate the servers a bit and maybe it wouldn't feel so "dead" sometimes.

Also, I woke up at 4:00 AM and played today and there were more people playing than I had seen in a while. I was seriously surprised.

WvW could make that problematic though... at least we have queues there throughout the day (sometimes longer than others). Although there are those rare moments where we'll see an outmanned buff... but even then within half an hour people are in queue again. If there ever were a consolidation WvW would have to play a large factor in that.

#122 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 25 February 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

Or, you know, using the game as a game rather than a chat program.
The activeness of GW2s combat does make chatting while fighting rather hard.

If that were the case, we should at least bump in to players while playing.

Oh, that's right, that doesn't happen much anymore, which is what the OP is referring to.

Kinda like these forums. Why do they feel so quiet? Maybe because they are a reflection of the game's population?

#123 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 25 February 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

If that were the case, we should at least bump in to players while playing.

Oh, that's right, that doesn't happen much anymore, which is what the OP is referring to.

Kinda like these forums. Why do they feel so quiet? Maybe because they are a reflection of the game's population?

Well, try leaving the cities and you will find people quite frequently, or stop playing in the middle of the night.

I have yet to see a single day (or area for that matter) where I have not met people.

Actually I would say the "inactivity" of these forums is because of people actually enjoying the game.
It is after all mostly people that don't like the game that spend their time whining about it on fan-forums.

#124 infisio

infisio

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

In Darkhaven there is always plenty of people out in the explorable areas.  There is almost always someone (or more) there doing events and skill points alongside me.  I don't know about 3am, but around lunchtime and in the evenings I run into lots of other players. Sometimes the crowd in WvW is a little sparse, but I can usually find a 20+ group doing something there.

#125 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 25 February 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Well, try leaving the cities and you will find people quite frequently, or stop playing in the middle of the night.

I have yet to see a single day (or area for that matter) where I have not met people.

Actually I would say the "inactivity" of these forums is because of people actually enjoying the game.
It is after all mostly people that don't like the game that spend their time whining about it on fan-forums.

Here are some facts that I think you should know. I am interested to see your fanboy reaction to these. I assume you will dismiss then with your normal un-proveable rhetoric, such as "people aren't on the forums because they are playing the game."

Guild Wars 2 Sales in the first 6 months: At least 3 million copies. (See: http://www.ign.com/a...-plans-revealed)

Guild Wars Prophecies Sales as of Sept. 22, 2005 (5 months after release): 1 million copies. (See: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/NCsoft)

Approximate Number of threads posted in the "Tyrian Assembly" Section of GW2 Guru site since GW2's release (Aug. 28, 2012 - Feb 25, 2013): 3,150 (see: this site)

Approximate Number of threads posted in the "Riverside Inn" section of the GW1 Guru site in the first 6 months of GW1's release (April. 28, 2005 - Oct. 25, 2005): 4,220 (see. guildwarsguru.com - page #'s are around 1,125 to 914, 20 threads per page.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do I post these numbers? Because, I think we can take at least some information from them.

First, let's look at the number of posts vs. the number of copies sold:

1. GW2: 3,150 posts / 3 million copies = 0.1%
2. GW1: 4,220 posts / 1 million copies = 0.4%

That is a 400% increase in the amount of threads made based on the number of copies sold!

Second, let's look at the difference in the amount of threads made:

4,220 (GW1) - 3,150 (GW2) = 1,070 threads

That is about 25% less threads in the same amount of time from one site to the other.

I never took statistics, but I would be willing to bet that if you accounted for the amount of games sold vs. the difference in the amount of threads made, it would be a fairly shocking number.

The question, is why is this happening? Perhaps people don't use Guru as the #1 forums to go to, it could be that people don't post on forums anymore, it could be that people are too busy playing the game...

...Or, it could be that there are less people playing this game, especially relative to the amount of people that bought the game, and that is directly related to the fact that the game isn't as good as everyone thought it would be when their expectations were based on how good GW1 was.

The last thing I would point out, is that if you get a chance to look at the guildwarsguru.com forums, you will see that there is much much less pessimism about the game mechanics - and much more talk about the game itself.

Unfortunately, I could not look at the site wide statistics, as it would have taken much more time. But, I think the evidence is certainly startling to say the least.

In fact, I am going to use this info for a new thread.

Edited by El Duderino, 25 February 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#126 TastySlop

TastySlop

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 25 February 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

The question, is why is this happening? Perhaps people don't use Guru as the #1 forums to go to, it could be that people don't post on forums anymore, it could be that people are too busy playing the game...
Posts on GW2 official forums: XXX,XXX,XXX
Posts on GW1 official forums: 0

#127 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostTastySlop, on 25 February 2013 - 08:47 PM, said:

Posts on GW2 official forums: XXX,XXX,XXX
Posts on GW1 official forums: 0

That could be it too...

#128 Kymeric

Kymeric

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1961 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

I've been running into people regularly on Sanctum of Rall in mid-level zones over the last week.  Between 5am and 7am Eastern Time.

There aren't enough to keep the events coming thick, but I am definitely still seeing people.

#129 Asha2012

Asha2012

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SL]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostWordsworth, on 25 February 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

The fact that 99% of the items on the TP sell is just confusing more than anything. People buy weird stuff.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users