_Breakage_

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[FUN]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

People of Tyria! I come to you today posing a challenge!

A challenge that will turn your name into legend. Villagers and Nobles alike will whisper your name and stare as you pass.

I call upon all able bodied adventures to undertake this challenge!

THE IRON MAN CHALLENGE!

---------------------------------------------

So i posed this to my guild and they seemed into the idea. A Guild Wars 2 Iron Man challenge.

You create a fresh character and go from 1 to 80.

The rules are as follows;

White gear only - By this i mean the White Named equipment that you can buy from weapon and armor vendors and which occasionally drops from mobs. NO OTHER GEAR IS ALLOWED.

No Crafting - The idea is you take on the the challenges that Tyria throws at you. Not just sitting at an anvil or spinning will crafting your self to 80.

No Traits - Real adventurers don't need traits - Don't even buy the books the Silver would be better spent.

No Dungeons/Fractals - I feel they would give to much experience and they can be grinded.

No grouping with any other players that are NOT involved in the challenge - The Challenges you face will be extreme and not for the faint of heart. Bring a buddy. Please only group with others involved in the challenge to avoid being boosted. Remember though, this is a race to 80.

No Story Missions - A lot of these give tonnes of exp for minor things. Please don't do them.

No using items aquired by a main - For those that have an 80 and a bank filled with wonderfully magical items please do not use them.

No food, potions, or any other on use item that effects your charater - A lot of food and potions increase your exp gain. Don't use them.

No Cheating - At the end of the day, this is for fun and to show your skills. Remember folks, cheaters never prosper.

And the last​(that i can think of right now)one. If you die your delete your toon and restart - Your life is precious and you only have one. Plan your battles and don't charge headlong into a  battle you wont win.

-------------------------------------------------------
So there we are, for the time being there is no Gold reward etc for hitting 80 and it is purely for bragging rights and to test if it can be done. If its successful and enough people seem interested there may be rewards for First, Second and Third place.

If there are any rules or loopholes you feel i may have missed please PM me on here or ingame at Breakage.6428.

To all challengers, I wish you could luck, May your swords strike true and your dodge finger be quick.

Edited by _Breakage_, 19 February 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#2 _Breakage_

_Breakage_

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

My First attempt. Here we have Tony Shieldstark.

Feel free to post your attempts, screenshots of your attempts.

#3 Siva

Siva

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Let the legend of legendary heroes begin!

#4 _Breakage_

_Breakage_

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Ok so a few updates/Changes to rules.

No waypointing within zone - To increase risk of death Waypointing within zone is not allowed. You can still waypoint to a different map so for example from Frostgorge to Lions Arch but just not interally.

WvW if you have the balls for it - I've been informed Dolyaks no longer give rewards, If you have the balls for it and think you can handle it then WvW away.

You must progress through the zone - No staying in Shaemoor for 80 levels. The ingame map shows level ranges for example Shaemoor is 1-17, Once you hit 17 you progress to the next zone.

Edited by _Breakage_, 17 February 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#5 _Breakage_

_Breakage_

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:27 AM

So far from tonight there have been 0 deaths. We had to tackle the champ mob to get a vista which nearly killed a few of us but luckily all escaped unscaved.

Currently highest is a level 7 Guardian.

#6 Keaghan

Keaghan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Kest]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

My friends and I have been doing something similar, we would love a 4th person to join us! Here are some screen shots.

[Working as a team and stacking 1m of swiftness!]

Posted Image

[Wrecking some bad apples]

Posted Image

We called it Hero Mode, and we only play it when the 3 of us get on, we have...

Veska Shadowstriker [Charr, Ash Legion, Thief]
Garo Grimmrecht [Charr, Iron Legion, Engineer]
Trxxi , The Slayer [Asura, Statics Krewe, Elementalist]

So far we are doing alright, we are trying NOT to die, but some really silly unfortunate incidents has caused us 2 deaths each.

1] This guy pulled me and instantly K'O'd be, was only trying to say hi...

Posted Image

2] Pulled a whole bunch of mobs in Plains of Ashford doing a skill point, 3 events spawned around us, AKA more mobs, couldn't get away, fought to the last man standing... really pitiful death, we were using a choke point, but sooo MANY mages spawned from the event, the aoe over whelmed us.

We are standing at level 22 each, and going strong, last death was at lvl 11-13.

We play similar, no waypoints, no help form other characters we have, no "nifty" useful features like depositing collectibles, waypoints, and what not, TRYING NOT TO DIE, SURVIVAL IS THE NAME OF THE GAME. We play with AoE fields turned off.

The goal is 0 Deaths, no more then 1 death per 10 levels, 100% map completion, level 80.

Its alot of fun, after we reach our goal, we want to restart and do it with 0 Deaths, this time picking a perfect team composition and hopefully a full group of 5. :]!

Edited by Keaghan, 18 February 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#7 _Breakage_

_Breakage_

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

That sounds awesome fun. A lot of my guild are joining in and i think after i got off we had our first death. A level 2 ran into a level 6 without realising and it destroyed him.

I think the guys im playing with are mainly going to play together. Although its a competition so i may at one point set out on my own.

Having a lot of fun with it at the moment. Makes every encounter so much more nerve racking.

Edited by _Breakage_, 18 February 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#8 _Breakage_

_Breakage_

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

So i decided to switch from Guardian. Felt there were to many and not enough variety of classes. Hunter's were strong in the WoW version so i figured Ranger might be fun. Screenshots will follow when i get home.

#9 Reverse Ghost

Reverse Ghost

Horrors Persist

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 201 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostKeaghan, on 18 February 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

Its alot of fun, after we reach our goal, we want to restart and do it with 0 Deaths, this time picking a perfect team composition and hopefully a full group of 5. :]!

Let me know when you start going for the 0-deaths one, I'd be interested in a spot in the group B)

View Post_Breakage_, on 19 February 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

So i decided to switch from Guardian. Felt there were to many and not enough variety of classes. Hunter's were strong in the WoW version so i figured Ranger might be fun. Screenshots will follow when i get home.

I was also thinking Ranger would be the way to go. When dealing with white gear and soloing, having a Bear to tank for you will surely be a huge help. Less so than in WoW because GW2 has dodging and the active combat, but still very helpful.

Edited by Reverse Ghost, 19 February 2013 - 09:27 AM.

Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.

#10 Serendipity6510

Serendipity6510

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I was exploring what profession would be best suited, on its own, to complete this challenge... or  get the survivor title, as well.

For elementalists, does the equipped weapon affect spell damage?

also, Necromancers may be difficult to keep alive at the very beginning... but the death shrowd ability could certainly be useful, in that you're quite invincible for its duration.

warrior and guardian, i suppose its a debate between outliving your opponent, or speed killing the opponent . Since guardians are obviously regarded for their survivability and warriors for their DPS.

mesmer seems like it would be one of the least likely to complete the title or challlenge, though the decoys do help keep damage away from yourself.

ranger, as previously stated, is nice because you have a pet to tank for you... but longbow could be a setback given its low damage...

thief is nice in that it has the blinding...and dodges. Plus the shortbow skills aren't half bad. But, when shortbow gets tiring and boring, youre put in fairly high danger given your low armor ratings.

engineer could be a good class, given you always set up your turrets prior to fights, and are vigilant and careful about your aggro-ing.

any thoughts?

#11 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

A true iron man challenge - given my memories of such from Diablo and Diablo II - would have it that even money would be worthless given you could not repair gear or buy gear - the gear you wore would be simply that gear you found within maps/dungeons - and when you died, you started over, period.

Edited by heatrr, 25 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#12 elloa

elloa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIST]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

Heya guys!

We are doing a sort of Ironman challenge (Called IronAngel, because of our guild name), that can be followed on 3 simultaneous stream every friday, starting 12 april! You can check the thread concerning this event in this forum. There is a trailer. Tell me what you think about it!  ;)

Edited by elloa, 05 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users