• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Greyn Lycane

Greyn Lycane

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Couldn't Find any recent topics mentioning this so ill ask it here.

Im currently running a tanky build in wvw that uses mostly knights gear, Trinkets are a bit mix matched for variety and some damage. I'm pretty happy with where my damage is now so I'm just trying to boost my ability to stay alive. I've been using runes of melandru because they sounded like a great thing to have in WvW since conditions and stuns are everywhere. I can't help but wonder though if 25% shorter duration's are actually worth it. It seems that most conditions are reapplied so often that the shorter duration might not matter at all. As for the stuns, 25% less time of 1 or 2 seconds only amounts to .25 or .5 seconds. In life or death situations where you have a sliver of health i can see it helping if all your stun breaks are on cooldown.

I guess really what I want to know is that if i want to keep my toughness and surviveability up, would it be better to switch to something like dolyak runes where im getting a straight up hp bonus instead?

Any Input is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 Mitch

Mitch

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I'm a big fan of runes of lyssa on warriors, in pvp at least, not sure about wvw.

#3 Buran_Grey

Buran_Grey

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

The main Warrior from my guild uses a tanky build with near 32k HP and the Melandru Runes,  paired with hammer, axe, warhorn and banners in WvW; He seems hapy with it, but He told me that for PvE he likes a lot to change towards berserk gear and more offensive runes. Can't talk for myself: my Warrior uses boon duration runes and my Guardian Soldier runes.

#4 zp3dd4

zp3dd4

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

I don't think its worth it. If you get caught by conditions, chances are if you can't remove them you'll die anyways.

#5 ProfGast

ProfGast

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I don't run Melandru on my warrior personally because I feel that Warriors actually have sufficient condition removal options.  However I *do* run them on my Ranger who runs a regen-toughness tanky melee build and they work fine, as long as I supplement them with food.  By that I mean I'm using either Loaves of Saffron Bread or Bowls of Lemongrass Poultry Soup which add an additional -20% or -40% duration each.  25% may not seem like much but 45-65% is pretty hefty.  With both runes and food buff running, only the longest duration conditions last for an appreciable amount of time and I can say that if you ARE running a build with little condition removal it will make a noticable difference.

Edited by ProfGast, 25 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#6 scaur

scaur

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

There is no diminishing return in GW2(i wish they have). In WvW you are fighting more than 5 or 8 people so let say you got stunned by person #1 for 1 sec, after 0.5 sec person #2 cast another CC on you (fear, daze, stun) and when the stun is about to be over, person #3 comes along stun you again.... It goes on and on. is best  you use something that will grand you stability,  Lyssa seems to be the best

#7 ProfGast

ProfGast

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postscaur, on 25 February 2013 - 09:43 PM, said:

There is no diminishing return in GW2(i wish they have). In WvW you are fighting more than 5 or 8 people so let say you got stunned by person #1 for 1 sec, after 0.5 sec person #2 cast another CC on you (fear, daze, stun) and when the stun is about to be over, person #3 comes along stun you again.... It goes on and on. is best  you use something that will grand you stability,  Lyssa seems to be the best
Honestly, in a case like that illustrated Runes of Lyssa won't help you much either.  If there's a case where people are repeatedly stunning you, Lyssa runes might get you stability on heal (1 sec casting time) or Signet of Rage (Also 1 second casting time) neither of which will have much a chance against chain-stunning.  That's where stunbreakers come into play, such as the lovely balanced stance which both breaks a stun and gives you further immunity.

In fact, in the example above, Melandru runes may actually be superior given that if they're timing the stun drops, they may not expect you to recover that fast, giving you an opening to roll out of their reach.  Either way neither rune can completely eliminate the need for a stunbreaker, though Lyssa has its own perks as a condition removal tool as well.

#8 scaur

scaur

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

True, but you can cast it before engaging. save balance stand ,shake it off to break stun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users