Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Q&A with Colin Johanson, Part III


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Killyox

Killyox

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3117 posts
  • Location:Poland
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

Is it me or Colin totally did NOT understand the question about Dual Pistol mesmers?

View PostMenehune, on 24 February 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Amazing! Absolutely amazing! Out of all that, people chose to jump all over Collin for a perceived lack of knowledge when his answer makes it seem more likely that he misunderstood the question. The question itself wasn't even quoted, just gven as "Question about dual pistol mesmers."

<walks away shaking head>

To anyone who has an idea about mesmers, it's pretty simple it is a question whether or not there is a chance mesmers will be able to use dual pistols. Then Colin starts talking as if they already had it and about power balance between weapon sets.

Edited by Killyox, 25 February 2013 - 10:05 AM.


#32 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5337 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostKillyox, on 25 February 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

Is it me or Colin totally did NOT understand the question about Dual Pistol mesmers?



To anyone who has an idea about mesmers, it's pretty simple it is a question whether or not there is a chance mesmers will be able to use dual pistols. Then Colin starts talking as if they already had it and about power balance between weapon sets.

Keep in mind that we have NO IDEA about what the actual question was though.

#33 Killyox

Killyox

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3117 posts
  • Location:Poland
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostLordkrall, on 25 February 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Keep in mind that we have NO IDEA about what the actual question was though.

But we know for sure what the question was not. It was certainly not a question about buffing DP since there is no DP and thus his answer makes no real sense.

#34 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

    Mesmer of Death

  • Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Location:Inside your GPU, ohaidar
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

So many cynical people in this thread.  Geeze, how terribly jaded of you guys.

He answered it off the cuff... maybe he wasn't thinking about it or misread the question.  Perhaps he just had a brain fart moment.  Give the man a teensy break, he has a lot on his plate these days.  God forbid an ANET member speaks a bit off topic or is mistaken in something they say.  At this rate, they'll need to hire the White House Press Secretary to clean up for them!  

On a lighter note:  Most of what he said gives me confidence that GW2 is going to be a great game going into the future.  Seems they're very committed to a lot of the game and have unique teams working on unique solutions to issues with a great content design team going forward.

#35 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

    Seraph Guardian

  • Content Writers
  • 1271 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

The DP mesmer comment was'nt even a question. It was (if I remember rightly) part of a wider conversation about the possibility of adding more weapons and skills for the future instead of increasing stats, as in 'what kinda stuff would you like to see added IF we do this'

#36 Colin Johanson

Colin Johanson

    ArenaNet

  • ArenaNet
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Yeah just for clarity, someone asked about balancing various under-used weapons and said something about "dual pistol mesmer" as an example, I figured that's what he calls off-hand pistol and answered using the same verbiage asked. I've found travelling abroad, as well as across the fan base everyone uses different terms for part of the game, people still ask me all the time about our quest system for example, it's easier to just respond with the terms they use so they understand.

I'm well aware mesmers can't dual-wield pistols, we've only been working on it for 6 years now ;) If there was double-pistols, my Mesmer would whoop you in PvP with them though, just sayin.

As for some of the other questions, I'm sorry we can't provide the exact details folks want to know on every single question, but on many of them we simply haven't decided yet what we're going to do, or we're currently working on it but may massively change direction due to the outcome of play tests and don't want to get locked into one plan/expectation. If we say literally anything, we're held to it as the law forever, so we have to try and be very careful not to promise anything. As an example, someone asked about commander book and I mentioned we'd love to have it get more functionality, a day later I read on the forums we're in the middle of making commander book better, which we aren't working on yet. It's really tough, sort of a no-win situation but we do our best and will keep delivering content every month that hopefully, eventually makes most folks happy with what they get.

Off to play to my dual-pistol warrior!

#37 Strawberry Nubcake

Strawberry Nubcake

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 683 posts
  • Location:On a boat!
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[ssss]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Pfft!  Who needs dual pistols when you've got a cast iron frying pan of doom?  Oh wait... we don't have frying pans... FIX THAT!  :P

Edited by Strawberry Nubcake, 25 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.


#38 Trei

Trei

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2911 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

What a wonderful opportunity to quote an Anet dev totally out of context to make him look bad!
Here goes...

View PostColin Johanson, on 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Off to play to my dual-pistol warrior!
Noob anet dev don't even know his own game... warrior can't use pistols!

#39 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4909 posts
  • Location:ArenaNet's Pantry
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Just you wait, some blog /forum somewhere is going to  quote that and says Anet is making pistol available for warrior.

#40 Traveller

Traveller

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Location:Finland
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I understand your point about not wanting to pigeonhole yourself into a "promise" which then gets broken in peoples' minds. But on the other hand you must understand that it can be frustrating having many questions answered with the whole "it's an interesting idea" template. Maybe the questions just need to be more generic, so there's even no expectations to get information about a specific part of the game, unless it's really solid info you guys can give out.

#41 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5337 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

View Postpumpkin pie, on 25 February 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Just you wait, some blog /forum somewhere is going to  quote that and says Anet is making pistol available for warrior.

Indeed, sadly that is something that is almost guaranteed to happen.
Either that or someone shouting about how ArenaNet themselves don't even know how their game works ^^

#42 Strawberry Nubcake

Strawberry Nubcake

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 683 posts
  • Location:On a boat!
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[ssss]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Wait... he wasn't hinting that dual-pistol warriors would be possible soon?  Grr!!  First I find out that the frying pan with the chef outfit is just a decoration and then I find out they aren't really working on dual-pistol warriors?  What's next?  You're going to tell me that Nutella isn't a healthy way to start the day?  Is my whole life a lie?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edited by Strawberry Nubcake, 25 February 2013 - 04:14 PM.


#43 Gruunz

Gruunz

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 152 posts
  • Location:Great England Britain Kingdom
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's confirmed, double rifle warriors are in the making. Double Kill shot! The extra shot is for when they get downed by the first shot. Otherwise it's not really a kill shot.

#44 heatrr

heatrr

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostKurosov, on 23 February 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Dual pistol mesmer? his response seems like he doesn't actually know what weapons they can and cannot use.

You do realize we have an iduelist phantasm/illusion, right?
So why not a DP mesmer?

#45 Kovares

Kovares

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

I don't think dual wielding pistols should be right out for the mesmer because of flavor reasons, it would depend on what he actually did with it. Remember when you didn't know about the profession at all, if somebody had told you the "illusionist" profession would wield a greatsword that would have sounded pretty wierd, and now it has become standard already. Also, a single target main hand ranged weapon would fit in nicely, the scepter being complete garbage and all.

Besides, could we please stop calling dual pistol mesmer dp mesmer?

#46 Kurosov

Kurosov

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 593 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[TAC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

View Postheatrr, on 25 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:



You do realize we have an iduelist phantasm/illusion, right?
So why not a DP mesmer?

Your post makes no sense in relation to mine. I'm not argued g against having a main hand pistol for Mesmer, in fact I'd actually like it. That doesn't mean it's currently in the game though.

And I did say "his response SEEMS".  Wether thet was on his part or to do with the way the q&a post was structured is to blame is another matter, the response shown here currently makes very little sense.

#47 Killyox

Killyox

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3117 posts
  • Location:Poland
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostColin Johanson, on 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Yeah just for clarity, someone asked about balancing various under-used weapons and said something about "dual pistol mesmer" as an example, I figured that's what he calls off-hand pistol and answered using the same verbiage asked. I've found travelling abroad, as well as across the fan base everyone uses different terms for part of the game, people still ask me all the time about our quest system for example, it's easier to just respond with the terms they use so they understand.

I'm well aware mesmers can't dual-wield pistols, we've only been working on it for 6 years now ;) If there was double-pistols, my Mesmer would whoop you in PvP with them though, just sayin.

As for some of the other questions, I'm sorry we can't provide the exact details folks want to know on every single question, but on many of them we simply haven't decided yet what we're going to do, or we're currently working on it but may massively change direction due to the outcome of play tests and don't want to get locked into one plan/expectation. If we say literally anything, we're held to it as the law forever, so we have to try and be very careful not to promise anything. As an example, someone asked about commander book and I mentioned we'd love to have it get more functionality, a day later I read on the forums we're in the middle of making commander book better, which we aren't working on yet. It's really tough, sort of a no-win situation but we do our best and will keep delivering content every month that hopefully, eventually makes most folks happy with what they get.

Off to play to my dual-pistol warrior!

Well Colin, it certainly doesn't help when interview's questions are so unclear. I don't know on whose side it was that it became so chaotic and pretty much "take a guess at my question" but in many cases it ends up creating more further questions. It may also cause uneeded confusion due to unclear nature of questions-answers relation in this "interview".

On a side note, what kind of an interview it is with questions being only half asked?

PS

give engies their own interesting Elite skills.
kkthxbb

Edited by Killyox, 25 February 2013 - 08:01 PM.


#48 Khalija

Khalija

    Leaf on the Wind

  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4154 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostKillyox, on 25 February 2013 - 08:01 PM, said:

Well Colin, it certainly doesn't help when interview's questions are so unclear. I don't know on whose side it was that it became so chaotic and pretty much "take a guess at my question" but in many cases it ends up creating more further questions. It may also cause uneeded confusion due to unclear nature of questions-answers relation in this "interview".

On a side note, what kind of an interview it is with questions being only half asked?

PS

give engies their own interesting Elite skills.
kkthxbb

They were at lunch in a really loud restaurant with a lot of background talking and clinking going on. Not only that, but the table they had was long and a lot of people were too far away from the recording device for us to hear what they were saying. Based on a few key words we did hear, and the answers Colin gave, we had to guess on the questions.

Feel free to PM me if you have a question regarding moderation, want to leave some feedback, or just want to chat!


#49 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

    If you hate MMOs....

  • Members
  • 5188 posts
  • Location:Austin, TX
  • Guild Tag:[MOA]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

I hope they do implement build templates.  Those were really very convenient in GW1 and they would be a great help in GW2.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users