Leaf on the Wind

• Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4176 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

Posted Image

Tyler Bearce has just posted a new blog article on the official site about some big changes to PvP. As the title suggests, Paid Tournaments will be replaced by Free Tournaments in tomorrow's big patch.

One of the reasons we initially introduced Paid Tournaments was to create a place for hyper-competitive, highly skilled players to find matches with other players of comparable skill, leaving the Free Tournament system available for more casual competitive play. However, now that we have a ratings and matchmaking system in-place that matches players of similar skill levels, we’ve decided that the ticket cost barrier-to-entry of Paid Tournaments is no longer necessary.

Instead, we’ll have 1-round Free Tournaments and 3-round Free Tournaments. Both of these tournament types will use a separate rating for the purposes of matchmaking.

Those with left-over tickets can exchange them for gold, silver, and copper Tournament Reward Chests at a new Ticket Merchant NPC in the Mists.

Not only that, but how players are rewarded will be updated as well. Winners of the 1-round Free Tournaments will receive a new Match Win Chest while the losing team will no longer receive a chest.

Another big change coming tomorrow is that Qualifying Points will be removed as a reward system. Tyler mentions that in the future, high ranked QP earners will receive a valuable in-game prize instead, but that we won't know more until later in a blog post.

Posted Image  Posted Image

#2 Moxtidus

Moxtidus

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

Good news.

Would be great to have a solo Q with MMR

Then you separate solo/premade.

Game saved, money for Anet, fun for players.

Edited by Moxtidus, 26 February 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#3 Howl

Howl

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1457 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Cool change, now we just need another game mode worth playing, oh, and people to play it.

#4 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • Curse Premium
  • 1616 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

I'm so glad I didn't invest so much time into QPs. Still not the changes I wanted to see in GW2.

This just makes pvp more of a casual fest, which was needed, but now there is no real realm for competitive players to play, even with this bonker matchmaking system in place with low populations.

Custom Arena, needs to be a focus.

#5 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1252 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

I'm interested in what this reward for the QP earners will be.  If it ends up being a sort of one-time account-bound reward, that will make me both displeased at not having chased more after QPs and hopeful that such types of limited rewards would be available in the future for other things.

#6 omar316

omar316

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BRG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

[quote name='Aodan' timestamp='1361845692' post='2170650']
I'm so glad I didn't invest so much time into QPs. Still not the changes I wanted to see in GW2.

This just makes pvp more of a casual fest, which was needed, but now there is no real realm for competitive players to play, even with this bonker matchmaking system in place with low populations.

Custom Arena, needs to be a focus.
[/quote]

I think we need to focus on the casual content/player base before implementing a gating/requirement system honestly.

Custom Arena would just diversify and divide the already poor population further.
They should have implemented a proper system in the 1st place instead now we're getting scraps.

#7 Dirame

Dirame

Golem Rider

• Community Contributors
  • 2248 posts
  • Server:Vabbi

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

Lol, I couldn't even chase QPs if I wanted to. Bugged to heaven and back.

Anyway, I'm glad this system is in place now. Let's see where things go from here.

#8 scaur

scaur

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

is solo Q included?

#9 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3247 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

[quote]We’re also updating the rewards for the 1-round Free Tournaments. A new Match Win Chest will be awarded to the winning team. The losing team will no longer get a chest.[/quote]

Happy RR!??!?!?
Make it so GW2-communality, MAKE IT SO!

Slightly more on-topic:
No shit, Sherlock!

#10 Shiren

Shiren

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hopefully the valuable prize awarded for PvP will have nothing to do with the PvE economy.

#11 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3247 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

[quote name='Shiren' timestamp='1361863072' post='2170730']
Hopefully the valuable prize awarded for PvP will have nothing to do with the PvE economy.
[/quote]

Given how GW2 is almost completely a PvE game, handing out PvE crap might just be the easiest way to entice folks to play PvP.

#12 Shiren

Shiren

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

[quote name='Ritualist' timestamp='1361865390' post='2170742']
Given how GW2 is almost completely a PvE game, handing out PvE crap might just be the easiest way to entice folks to play PvP.
[/quote]

Doing it for the wrong reasons. Players showed contempt for having to earn ascended gear from FotM and that's a PvE dungeon. People hate needing WvW kills for monthlies or map completion. Can you imagine how unhappy they would be if ArenaNet forced them to do PvP to acces some kind of PvE reward? The two formats are already separate, and for good reason. They should stay that way.

If ArenaNet wants to entice people to do more PvP, they need to make the actual PvP more entertaining, not add a carrot at the end.

#13 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3247 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

[quote name='Shiren' timestamp='1361865931' post='2170745']
If ArenaNet wants to entice people to do more PvP, they need to make the actual PvP more entertaining, not add a carrot at the end.
[/quote]

But that would require actual work! ;)

#14 Korra

Korra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

[quote name='Shiren' timestamp='1361863072' post='2170730']
[/quote]

Zaishen keys worked juust fine! It was a great incentive to go pvp, knowing that you were earning Zkeys which could be sold for money and i honestly wouldn't mind that system back.

#15 ICESpider

ICESpider

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

[quote name='Korra' timestamp='1361867777' post='2170756']
Zaishen keys worked juust fine! It was a great incentive to go pvp, knowing that you were earning Zkeys which could be sold for money and i honestly wouldn't mind that system back.
[/quote]
Very true, I think Anet could take a lot more inspiration from their original game, than they are currently doing. Also by completely seperating PvP and PvE it will limit the use of both. HA in GW1 inspired people to play it because of the extremely rare rewards and those kept people coming back, it wasn't for everyone but those who did play it had something to aim for.

#16 DeConstruct

DeConstruct

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Good, because I was having trouble finding the "hyper-competitive, highly skilled" matches described. The game just doesn't have the depth for that.

#17 Korra

Korra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Imo separating so drastically pvp and pve was a huge mistake.

#18 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

[quote name='Korra' timestamp='1361904890' post='2171097']
Imo separating so drastically pvp and pve was a huge mistake.
[/quote]

why isn't pvp supposed to be about skill and not if you have the spent the time to get the better gear?

#19 Korra

Korra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

[quote name='tfckmk988' timestamp='1361905210' post='2171104']
why isn't pvp supposed to be about skill and not if you have the spent the time to get the better gear?
[/quote]

You obviously never played gw1, look it up.

#20 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

i played gw1 but not pvp it isn't my thing really but that seemed to be ANETs whole point in GW2

#21 Jump_N_Move

Jump_N_Move

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

The problem with PvP is two fold: lack of rewards and lack of depth. The rewards are all vanity items. Vanity items which can't even be used in PvE.
Since there's little to actually accomplish in PvP besides watching the glory bar fill up, it should be all about skill right? True, except for the fact that anyone with a resemblance of a 'hyper-competetive' nature realized that this game has no actual depth to its combat. Which is why there was a mass exodus of players shortly after release.

Zaishen quests are the precursors to the current daily/monthly system. So we kinda already do have that system back.

Honestly, the PvE items for PvP rewards was one of the pillars keeping PvP alive. They weren't given out like candy like they are in GW1 and they were actually usable in ALL parts of the game. Now you get chests just for losing, and everything good is account/soulbound.

EDIT - @tfckmk988 - they may of said they wanted GW2 to be an esport. But the mouth keeps talking, while the body goes in the other direction.

Edited by Jump_N_Move, 26 February 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#22 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

• Members
  • 3101 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

You need grassroots popularity.  You can't impose high end play from the top down.  Ie, the reason profession sports exists is because athletes play these games their entire lives growing up.  You can't just create a "professional glitenball league" without first having 20-30 years of glitenball little league to ingrain the game into popular culture and build up a talent pool.

Paid tournaments failed for the same reason professional soccer hasn't had enough time to develop in the US.

#23 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostJump_N_Move, on 26 February 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

The problem with PvP is two fold: lack of rewards and lack of depth. The rewards are all vanity items. Vanity items which can't even be used in PvE.
Since there's little to actually accomplish in PvP besides watching the glory bar fill up, it should be all about skill right? True, except for the fact that anyone with a resemblance of a 'hyper-competetive' nature realized that this game has no actual depth to its combat. Which is why there was a mass exodus of players shortly after release.

Zaishen quests are the precursors to the current daily/monthly system. So we kinda already do have that system back.

Honestly, the PvE items for PvP rewards was one of the pillars keeping PvP alive. They weren't given out like candy like they are in GW1 and they were actually usable in ALL parts of the game. Now you get chests just for losing, and everything good is account/soulbound.

EDIT - @tfckmk988 - they may of said they wanted GW2 to be an esport. But the mouth keeps talking, while the body goes in the other direction.

i don't see why pvp and pve being separate has anything to do with being an esport... they just wanted people to be able to try /do pvp when they initially roll their characters and not have to level up if they don't want to if all they want is pvp

#24 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3247 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

View Posttfckmk988, on 27 February 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

i don't see why pvp and pve being separate has anything to do with being an esport... they just wanted people to be able to try /do pvp when they initially roll their characters and not have to level up if they don't want to if all they want is pvp

GW1 allowed players to create a PvP max-character out of the box. The only problem, as noted since the game's release was the lack of UAX. GW2 solves this problem.
Yet, players could still take their PvE characters (with their PvE pretty) into PvP and PvP also gave out rewards that could be used in PvE.

That's the point of GW1 comparisons - you can easily make the game about skill rather than time without needing to completely cut all ties between the two formats.

Edited by Ritualist, 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#25 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

View PostRitualist, on 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

GW1 allowed players to create a PvP max-character out of the box. The only problem, as noted since the game's release was the lack of UAX. GW2 solves this problem.
Yet, players could still take their PvE characters (with their PvE pretty) into PvP and PvP also gave out rewards that could be used in PvE.

That's the point of GW1 comparisons - you can easily make the game about skill rather than time without needing to completely cut all ties between the two formats.

i think i understand but what is UAX?

#26 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3247 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

View Posttfckmk988, on 27 February 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

i think i understand but what is UAX?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/UAX
As noted above, the lack of UAX (=each player having everything unlocked once they enter PvP) was an issue in GW1 and GW2 solves this quite nicely.

So from this side, GW2 is a step forward, but the rewards were unnecessary limited.

#27 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostRitualist, on 27 February 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/UAX
As noted above, the lack of UAX (=each player having everything unlocked once they enter PvP) was an issue in GW1 and GW2 solves this quite nicely.

So from this side, GW2 is a step forward, but the rewards were unnecessary limited.

right is a good change

sounds like u'd be happy if they put in an option to get a pvp version of items recieved in pve?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users