Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Maingear any good?


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8020 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

Looking to buy a decent computer from US builder.

I looked at Asus, and from there found a company called Maingear, but the more I researched, the better they sounded.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking of:


http://www.maingear....&idproduct=1163


Customizations:
Special Promotions: [Radeon 7900 Series GPU REQUIRED] AMD™ Never Settle Reloaded: FREE BioShock Infinite and Crysis 3!

Chassis: F131 with VRTX Cooling Technology
Included
Exterior Finish: Black Brushed Aluminum
Included
Motherboard: Intel® DH77EB Featuring USB 3.0, SATA 6G, Lucid Virtu
Included
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 3.4GHz/3.8GHz Turbo 8MB L3 Cache HD 4000
$220.00
Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR Certified Intel® Retail Cooler
Included
MAINGEAR Redline Overclocking Service: Intel® Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Included
Memory: 16GB Corsair® Vengeance™ DDR3-1600 1.5V (2x8GB)
$97.00
Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: AMD® Radeon™ HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 w/Eyefinity [ENTHUSIAST]
$336.00
Hard Drive Bay One: 1TB Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200rpm 64MB Cache SATA 6G
Included
Power Supply: 600W Corsair® Builder Series 80 Plus Certified PSU
$28.00
Optical Drive One: 8X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive Slot Loading SATA
Included
Audio: 5.1+2 Channel High Definition Surround Sound (Intel DP55WB)
Included
Ethernet Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet
Included
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Included
The Final Finesse: Designed, Manufactured, and Supported in the USA - Flawless Craftsmanship and Wire Management
Included
Angelic Service Warranty: Lifetime Angelic Service Labor and Phone Support with 1 Year Comprehensive Warranty
Included

Price:  $1,780


Anybody ever buy something from these guys?

#2 Running4Cover

Running4Cover

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania (USA)
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

Just a couple thoughts, and by all means don't take my word as law:

1) - Processor Cooling - I'm not positive from the description what the cooler is, but I'd definitely make sure they mean an aftermarket cooler, as with an overclocked CPU running high end games, big fans are kind of a must (I have 2 120mm fans attached to my i7 3820 to keep it happy, and I don't even overclock for the most part).  That said, there's a reasonable chance that they do mean aftermarket fans to begin with (do i7's ever come with their own fans?) so may not be a problem.

2) - Overclocking Service - Again, I'm not sure exactly what the description means, but just make sure they aren't charging you to overclock your card for you.

3) - Hard Drive - 1TB is fine (although it's not a lot to get a 2TB), but it's kind of a shame to buy such a nice computer without an SSD.  I would personally get a small SSD (64/128/256gb) for the OS and depending on space your most used games (*cough*Guild Wars 2*cough*)

4) - Optical Drive - 8x is absurdly slow (assuming it's the read speed).  A low end DVD drive ( <$20) is often 18x (a little over 20mbps read speed).  I would definitely clarify that that is the read speed and not the write speed, and if it IS the read speed, get a better one (unless you never install from discs or rip CD's).

5) - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - This is just a side note for your future plans; Windows 7 Home Premium supports up to exactly 16gb of RAM (which is what you're ordering).  Without looking up your motherboard I'd guess it supports up to 64gb of RAM (MAYBE only 32gb, but probably 64).  If you ever intend to utilize that upgrade potential (which you should if you're buying 8gb sticks), you'll need a new OS.  The easy solution is to buy the business edition (I forget what it's called) of Windows 7 x64 for a couple extra bucks (100?) now.  But, if you don;t care at all, by all means don't.

6) - Stupid Question, but worth asking; is this all you need?  Do you need cables?  A monitor?  Mouse and keyboard?  Also DO YOU NEED WIFI ACCESS?  If so, have them install a network card too (or buy a USB plugin for it).  It never hurts to be careful, heh :P


...that's about all I thought of, and as usual it amounts to a list of ways you could spend more money.  That said, it looks like a decent build, and for a price not much higher than building it yourself.  I'm curious as to how you started on the Asus website, and wound up with 0 Asus parts (no love for an Asus mobo?  the x79 Sabretooth is a beast :D), but otherwise good luck!

EDIT: With regards to your title question, I have literally no idea if Maingear is any good.  So much for being helpful!

Edited by Running4Cover, 26 February 2013 - 04:48 AM.


#3 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8020 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the quick response, and some good questions I will have to consider.  I knew there would be no monitor, keyboard or mouse, but I didn't even think of WiFi!  Duh.

I'll also consider getting an SSD.  Good idea.

#4 typographie

typographie

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

View PostRunning4Cover, on 26 February 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

1) - Processor Cooling - I'm not positive from the description what the cooler is, but I'd definitely make sure they mean an aftermarket cooler, as with an overclocked CPU running high end games, big fans are kind of a must (I have 2 120mm fans attached to my i7 3820 to keep it happy, and I don't even overclock for the most part).  That said, there's a reasonable chance that they do mean aftermarket fans to begin with (do i7's ever come with their own fans?) so may not be a problem.

All consumer-level Intel processors, to the best of my knowledge, come with an Intel cooler (not sure about Xeons and Sandy Bridge-E chips). Its pretty loud and not very effective, but its technically enough to get you through their warranty period. The one picked out for this build is definitely the stock cooler, not aftermarket.

This site has almost no options for cooling, though, so it might be smart to just stick with the stock cooler and pick out a better one for about $25 later.

I second the SSD suggestion. Just make sure you pick it from the "Hard drive bay one" list, rather than the caching drives because that's where you want them to install Windows. I'd recommend the Crucial M4 128 GB or Samsung 840 256 GB depending on your budget. By the way, do you really need an i7 for some sort of work you do? If not, get an i5-3550 and put that money towards your SSD.

I've never heard of Maingear either, but the components look fine at least. Glad to see name-brand power supplies.

Edited by typographie, 26 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.


#5 Quaker

Quaker

    Technician

  • Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostMordakai, on 26 February 2013 - 04:08 AM, said:

The Final Finesse: Designed, Manufactured, and Supported in the USA - Flawless Craftsmanship and Wire Management
This made me laugh. This is as much "made in the USA" as any Dell, iBuypower, Cyberpower, etc, or DIY project - in other words, assembled in the USA from "made in China" parts.

From the look of it, it uses a Small Form Factor (SFF) case, which would limit the cooling options. I'm not sure if you could add any fans or coolers afterwards.

Overall, it's a good system. A 3570 would work just as well for gaming as a 3770, and 16Gigs of RAM is overkill, but that config is very common these days.

To the best of my knowledge, Maingear has a good reputation as a boutique system builder. You may want to look into reviews of the system, and particularly, the case, before you decide, especially if you think you may want to upgrade/modify the system later.

http://www.digitaltr...ar-f131-review/

Edited by Quaker, 26 February 2013 - 03:21 PM.


#6 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

That's over priced and it's not a overclocking 3770K chip. If it's for gaming you could do better for about $1300.

$1284 if I can get it to link right. 3570K pre overclocked, 8 GB memory 7950 video card with the same free games, quality power supply, and a nice case. For a wireless adapter you can buy a USB one almost anywhere.
Comes with  cheap but usable mouse, keyboard, and speakers. This is perrty much the %$@# will play the game the best it can be played.
http://www.ibuypower...n_D827/w/160131

Cheaper like $961 will play the game just fine but not the performance as the above.
http://www.ibuypower...n_D857/w/160149


EDIT on the first build I missed checking the box for the free wifi expansion card.
Posted Image


iBUYPOWER Special
[FREE] - Gigabyte GC-WB300D Bluetooth 4.0 / Dual Band WiFi Expansion Card Free with purchase of selected Gigabyte Motherboard

Edited by Zerk2012, 27 February 2013 - 02:16 AM.


#7 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8020 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Any problems with ibuypower? Are they pretty reliable?  

I'm not familiar with gigabyte brand motherboards and wifi cards.  Reliable?

Also, what's the difference between the Paladin D827 and a Paladin E810?

Thanks so much for the advice and help.

#8 Elder III

Elder III

    Technician

  • Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Location:OH
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

GAMING PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 2-way SLI® / CrossFireX™ Custom Gaming System $1360.43 Posted Image $1360.43
  • INTEL Core™ i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-x XD, Retail
  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler, Socket 1155/1156/1366/775/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum, Retail
  • ASUS P8Z77-V LK, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /1+1*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, DP + HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /6, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail
  • CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL10 (10-10-10-27) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC
  • MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC, Radeon™ HD 7950 880MHz, 3GB GDDR5 5000MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI + HDMI + 2x mini-DP, Retail
  • SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda®, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
  • RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives
  • SABRENT CRW-UINB Black 65-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive, 3.5" Bay, Internal USB
  • LITE-ON iHAS124 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 912 (RC-912-KKN1) Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, SECC/Plastic
  • CUSTOM WIRING Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down
  • OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V v2.2 2x EPS12V, 4x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail
  • MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM
  • WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)
  • SERVICE Standard Shipping (UPS or Fedex)



To get the above go to this link and customize it to match.



http://www.avadirect....asp?PRID=24249

Avadirect has an excellent inventory of options (best that I know of) and while they may run more than IBuyPower or CyberPowerPC they have many more options and better warranty/support.  SInce you were willing to spend $1700 from a company most of us have never heard of, I'd rather have you spend a few hundred less for the same gaming performance from a known, reputable company. :)

#9 typographie

typographie

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostMordakai, on 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Any problems with ibuypower? Are they pretty reliable?  

I'm not familiar with gigabyte brand motherboards and wifi cards.  Reliable?

I've never heard anything particularly bad about iBuyPower, but I believe their default RAM and PSU choices are just mystery brands. Thats a bad idea in general but particularly risky when it comes to power supplies. Its worth it to spend a little more for a Corsair PSU (or whatever they offer).

Gigabyte is, at least in my opinion, one of the better brands on par with Asus, Asrock, MSI, etc. My last two motherboards have been Gigabyte, though that's been more coincidence than loyalty.

Edited by typographie, 27 February 2013 - 08:12 PM.


#10 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

View PostMordakai, on 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Any problems with ibuypower? Are they pretty reliable?  

I'm not familiar with gigabyte brand motherboards and wifi cards.  Reliable?

Also, what's the difference between the Paladin D827 and a Paladin E810?

Thanks so much for the advice and help.
The differance is in the hardware that I picked with each build. The higher cost build comes with better cooling in both the case and the processor cooler, the processor will already be overclocked to about 4.2 GHz this will help alot during WVW zergs, better video card, and a larger power supply. The lower priced one has a non overclocking processor so it will go up to turbo speed wich is 3.8, lesser video card but should be fine running a single 1080p monitor, and has a decent case with adaquate cooling. I use a Gigabyte Mother Board for the wifi not a clue I plug straight into the cable.


View PostElder III, on 27 February 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

GAMING PC Core™ i5 / i7 Z77 2-way SLI® / CrossFireX™ Custom Gaming System $1360.43 Posted Image $1360.43
  • INTEL Core™ i5-3570K Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 4000, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-x XD, Retail

  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler, Socket 1155/1156/1366/775/AM3/AM2, Copper/Aluminum, Retail

  • ASUS P8Z77-V LK, LGA1155, Intel® Z77, DDR3-2400 (O.C.) 32GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI CF /1+1*, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, DP + HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /6, HDA, GbLAN, ATX, Retail

  • CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8GB) Vengeance™ Black PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL10 (10-10-10-27) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

  • MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC, Radeon™ HD 7950 880MHz, 3GB GDDR5 5000MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI + HDMI + 2x mini-DP, Retail

  • SEAGATE 1TB Barracuda®, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache

  • RAID No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

  • SABRENT CRW-UINB Black 65-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive, 3.5" Bay, Internal USB

  • LITE-ON iHAS124 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, OEM

  • COOLER MASTER HAF 912 (RC-912-KKN1) Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, SECC/Plastic

  • CUSTOM WIRING Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down

  • OCZ Fatal1ty 750W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V v2.2 2x EPS12V, 4x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail

  • MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM

  • WARRANTY Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

  • SERVICE Standard Shipping (UPS or Fedex)

To get the above go to this link and customize it to match.



http://www.avadirect....asp?PRID=24249

Avadirect has an excellent inventory of options (best that I know of) and while they may run more than IBuyPower or CyberPowerPC they have many more options and better warranty/support.  SInce you were willing to spend $1700 from a company most of us have never heard of, I'd rather have you spend a few hundred less for the same gaming performance from a known, reputable company. :)
Ibuypower has a standard 3 year labor and 1 parts warranty with very good phone support.

View Posttypographie, on 27 February 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

I've never heard anything particularly bad about iBuyPower, but I believe their default RAM and PSU choices are just mystery brands. Thats a bad idea in general but particularly risky when it comes to power supplies. Its worth it to spend a little more for a Corsair PSU (or whatever they offer).

Gigabyte is, at least in my opinion, one of the better brands on par with Asus, Asrock, MSI, etc. My last two motherboards have been Gigabyte, though that's been more coincidence than loyalty.

This is true I'm very leary of their no name ram and power supplies. Both builds I sugested use either Corsair or Kingston Ram and a Corsair PSU.

Edited by Zerk2012, 27 February 2013 - 11:56 PM.


#11 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8020 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

For future proofing, is 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory (G. Skill Ripjaws X or Corsair Vengeance) worth it?

It's $100 more.

#12 typographie

typographie

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostMordakai, on 28 February 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

For future proofing, is 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory (G. Skill Ripjaws X or Corsair Vengeance) worth it?

It's $100 more.

16 GB is already extremely future-proof, whether 4x4 GB or 2x8 GB. Its very unlikely you'd ever need 16 GB as a gamer, let alone the upgrade option for 32 GB, unless you're also doing some kind of crazy workstation stuff with this machine. Even just 8 GB should carry you through the useful lifetime of this machine.

Basically any of the PC builds mentioned in this thread are about as "future-proof" as can reasonably be expected these days in terms of connectivity and upgradeability.

#13 Elder III

Elder III

    Technician

  • Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Location:OH
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 27 February 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:



Ibuypower has a standard 3 year labor and 1 parts warranty with very good phone support.



This is true, I don't have  a problem with IBUyPower or CyberPowerPC for that matter.  Yet if one shows that they have the room in their budget, it's worth checking out AvaDirect since they have by far a better selection of components (it's really not even comparable).

#14 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8020 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

No, I wasn't going to upgrade to 32, I'm just reconsidering the 16.  Any difference between Ripjaw or Corsair?  I think the Skill Ripjaw is like $10 cheaper.

#15 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8020 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostElder III, on 28 February 2013 - 05:33 PM, said:



This is true, I don't have  a problem with IBUyPower or CyberPowerPC for that matter.  Yet if one shows that they have the room in their budget, it's worth checking out AvaDirect since they have by far a better selection of components (it's really not even comparable).

Almost TOO many options.  :).

I will say ipower has one of the easier websites to use...  except I can't figure out how to save my builds.  Even if I add it to cart, next time I log in, it's gone.


Sorry for double post, doing this from phone.

Edited by Mordakai, 28 February 2013 - 05:44 PM.


#16 typographie

typographie

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1806 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostMordakai, on 28 February 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

No, I wasn't going to upgrade to 32, I'm just reconsidering the 16.  Any difference between Ripjaw or Corsair?  I think the Skill Ripjaw is like $10 cheaper.

G.skill and Corsair are both very good, safe choices for RAM. If G.skill is cheaper, just go with that. Ripjaws kits are what everyone recommends these days anyway.

Besides, if the Corsair kits are the Vengeance series, they may have obnoxiously tall heatsinks that may interfere with some CPU coolers.

#17 Elder III

Elder III

    Technician

  • Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Location:OH
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:16 AM

View PostMordakai, on 28 February 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Almost TOO many options.  :).

I will say ipower has one of the easier websites to use...  except I can't figure out how to save my builds.  Even if I add it to cart, next time I log in, it's gone.


Sorry for double post, doing this from phone.

Between IBuyPower and CyberPowerPC I usually use the latter since it has a nice "Save Configuration" link on the left side that you can use for yourself or to send to friends etc...

#18 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

View PostMordakai, on 28 February 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Almost TOO many options.  :).

I will say ipower has one of the easier websites to use...  except I can't figure out how to save my builds.  Even if I add it to cart, next time I log in, it's gone.


Sorry for double post, doing this from phone.
Hard to save it on their best way is to pick the build, go to share, Digg, then copy the link it gives and paste it somewhere like here. You see both of the builds that I did are still their using the links.

Edited by Zerk2012, 01 March 2013 - 12:51 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users