• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Berserker better with Staff than condition?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:14 AM

I finally tried out GS/Staff at LvL80, and iWarlock does indeed seem to be amazing against bosses, but I noticed that having increased condition damage does not seem helpful with it.  I read on the wiki that illusions are affected by your stats such as power and precision.  And the description for iWarlock states that it does more damage based on how many conditions are on the enemy, not for how much condition damage you do.

Right now, I'm running:  10/15/0/25/20 for maximum illusion damage.  There is the 15% more illusion damage in Domination at 10, and there is the 15% more illusion damage in Inspiration at 25, so 30% total.  20 in illusions for 20% phantam recharge.  But would 30/30/0/0/10 be better than the 15% more illusion damage I get with 25% inspiration?  And likewise for the Staff, would 30/30/0/0/10 and Berserker staff be better than higher condition damage?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Gregor Sabetin

Gregor Sabetin

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah Staff doesn't benefit from condition damage as much as we would think because only 2 out of 3 Winds of Chaos, 1 out of 3 hits of Chaos armor, 1 out of 3 hits of Chaos storm inflict poison, bleed, confusion or burning while iWarlock, retaliation and shatters are power based. In my opinion going for +condition damage with a staff build is a loss of DPS

However +condition duration is an excellent stat for Staff and ... we get it with the Domination (Power) tree.

If you don't invest 30 pts in Illusion (Illusionary Persona) maybe it's better to stay at 10 pts. Clones don't benefit from Illusionary Elasticity so I don't find useful to go higher than 5 or 10 pts (in a non shatter build of course).

And last thing: why 30 pts in Dueling? I don't find the Grandmaster traits worth it...

Edited by Gregor Sabetin, 27 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#3 Bloodreaver

Bloodreaver

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostGregor Sabetin, on 27 February 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

And last thing: why 30 pts in Dueling? I don't find the Grandmaster traits worth it...

I thought Precision would be great on a Mesmer, doesn't it increase your damage?  Also, with the "4% more damage for each readied mantra" trait and having 4 mantras equipped, isn't that 16% more damage (or does that just apply to your damage and not your illusions?  Although again, wouldn't the 300 precision benefit the illusions and the 16% more damage benefit your damage?

Also, is 300 Power better than 300 Precision?

#4 jpg1

jpg1

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LOA]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostBloodreaver, on 28 February 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I thought Precision would be great on a Mesmer, doesn't it increase your damage?  Also, with the "4% more damage for each readied mantra" trait and having 4 mantras equipped, isn't that 16% more damage (or does that just apply to your damage and not your illusions?  Although again, wouldn't the 300 precision benefit the illusions and the 16% more damage benefit your damage?

Also, is 300 Power better than 300 Precision?

You can't look at 300 Precision without including the 30% increase in Critical Damage that goes along with it. (That is if you are talking about the bonuses coming from the Dueling Tree) The 300 bonus to Power increases your overall base but Power can be obtained through gears. I think the deciding factor would really be is the traits that you need to access if you're considering a 30 to either Domination or Dueling.

Personally, there are more useful traits for me going into the Dueling tree but that's left to personal taste really.

Edited by jpg1, 28 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#5 Coren

Coren

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[DRK]

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Peronally I run with 20 precision and still manage a critical of 8-9k damage on (mostly) beserker gear with iwarlock. The extra 10 points are better spent elsewhere in my experience.

#6 Wardi

Wardi

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

If not staff, what weapon benefits the most from condition damage then? Except scepter ofc :P
I thought about sword/focus, where iWarden deals nice bleeding and sword skills with proper runes (60% chance for bleeding on crit) too. Maybe greatsword?

Edited by Wardi, 28 February 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#7 Cataca

Cataca

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostWardi, on 28 February 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

If not staff, what weapon benefits the most from condition damage then? Except scepter ofc :P
I thought about sword/focus, where iWarden deals nice bleeding and sword skills with proper runes (60% chance for bleeding on crit) too. Maybe greatsword?

Imho. Mesmer is terrible for bleeds. It works nicely as a condition alongside damage if you are alone, but bleed duration doesnt apply on clones so their bleeds will allways be a bit lackluster, compared to any other bleed stacking class. Condition damage/duration really only fully applies to staff and its random procs.

Tho that bleed is nice aditional damage, you shouldnt mainly rely on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users