Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Legendary friendly builds


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Location:Anywhere I can find loot.
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

So I’ll be brief. My engineer is the first character I’ve leveled to max and completed the personal story and dungeons with, and I absolutely love the profession. However I’ve recently come to see a problem; I’ve got no endgame. I dislike PvP and have no interest in Fractals so ascended gear is meaningless, and already strutting around in full exotic basically means the only thing I have left to do in the game is go for a legendary. The problem of course is that as an engineer the vast majority of my time is spent with a kit, and I am not going to grind for months to get a legendary I’ll hardly ever see, let alone use. As I said, from my perspective I’ve got no endgame. It has less to do with the game itself, and more to do with the profession being….well shafted.

So my question here is simple; does anyone have a build they are willing to share that is a bit more legendary friendly? Ideally something using a rifle (I hate the legendry pistol and the legendary shield doesn’t suit a technology based profession) and suited with Rabid gear. I really don’t want to have to go for another exotic set, not only do I lack the karma for that, I spent a week wiki-ing the various temple sets and bouncing between locations to actually have a full rabid set, so I do not want to change it. Oh, also I dislike immobile pets, so no turrets. I realize that is a lot of restrictions, so anyone that offers an idea gets extra thanks.

TLDR; I need suggestions for a rifle based engineer build suited for rabid (condition damage/precision/toughness) gear and that doesn’t use kits or turrets so that I can justify the grind for a legendary by actually using it. Thank you.

Edited by Arkham Creed, 28 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.


#2 Kurosov

Kurosov

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 593 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[TAC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Other than the fact that turrets kind of suck i don't see your reason for added them to the do not use list with the reason of "actually usin the rifle".

I'm going for the rifle myself without having a specially created rifle build. If you're playing rifle and kits then you'll likely be swapping to rifle often for net shot so you do get use out of it. I'm also confident they'll eventually get around to skinning toolbelt/kit animations while not wielding the rifle even it if it just like grenade barrages particle grenades.

#3 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Location:Anywhere I can find loot.
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostKurosov, on 28 February 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Other than the fact that turrets kind of suck i don't see your reason for added them to the do not use list with the reason of "actually usin the rifle".

I just don’t like turrets. With how much I run around in this game, and how rapidly most PvE battles can end or at the very least change location, having a skill bound to a single area feels rather restrictive. More so when you need to wait for an extended recharge every ten steps. In my mind turrets have this big sign on them that reads “only worth it in boss battles when you have a tank so they don’t get instantly destroyed.” They are much the same as signets really, something you just stick on your bar and forget about except under specific circumstances.

#4 Sagramor

Sagramor

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Rifle is predominantly a Power weapon, which I'm sure you're aware of, so you're kinda SOL unless you wanna change your gear.

The only build that comes to mind that spends the majority of time in Rifle is Static Discharge; a burst build which wouldn't cater to your current gear stats.

#5 Thaddeuz

Thaddeuz

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 561 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[TRAP]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I don't think that a Rifle build with Rabid gear can be made. At least a good one. Your rifle only give a small (0-4 normaly, you can probably reach 5-10 bleed with certain build). You gonna do AWFUL amount of damage. I mean you don't have power and your condition damage will do nothing.

Its easy to get Berserker gear. Do CoF path 1 and 2 (take between 30-40min with a pug) for 139 tokens. It gonna have to do this only 10 times to get your 6 pieces of gear.

#6 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Location:Anywhere I can find loot.
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

So then equipping all the on-crit condition traits and a sigil of earth wouldn't help? I knew the rifle wasn't a condition heavy weapon, that's why I currently use pistol/shield (I like knock-back better than cripple for CC) but I had hoped there was some way to make it work.

Edited by Arkham Creed, 28 February 2013 - 06:27 PM.


#7 coglin

coglin

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Elixir builds are ideal for this. B.U.S builds are great damage. Allow you to buff your party. Have excellent condition removal. Elixir R is also ideal for its benefits of stun breaking, refilling endurance, condition removal, and AoE reviving.

In WvW lately, I have been using 0/30/20/0/20 build with full soldiers gear, P/S, with slick shoes, PBR and rocket boots. Let me tell you, that level ov control is great. I would just walk backwards as a melee came at me and hit slick shoes and it would do 2 knockdowns back to back, all the while I am shooting the crap out of them. When all of my utilities are on cool down, I simply use shield 4 or put up shield 5 and let them hit me and stun themselves.

Do not worry. Gadget builds have condition removal. Bowl of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup gives +70 Healing power and 100% Chance to remove a condition on heal. So I simply use med kit and all I have to do to remove conditions is to swap in and out of med kit instantly and viola, a condition is removed each time. All the while everyone gets to see my great looking shield and pistol the whole time.

#8 Yski

Yski

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

By the time you are able to craft a legendary getting one set of exotic armor shouldn't be too difficult. Just take your time and swap when you have everything you need to, it's not like you want to be bored of your build before you even get the super expensive weapon you can only use with it!

#9 Sagramor

Sagramor

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

View Postcoglin, on 28 February 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Elixir builds are ideal for this. B.U.S builds are great damage. Allow you to buff your party. Have excellent condition removal. Elixir R is also ideal for its benefits of stun breaking, refilling endurance, condition removal, and AoE reviving.

In WvW lately, I have been using 0/30/20/0/20 build with full soldiers gear, P/S, with slick shoes, PBR and rocket boots. Let me tell you, that level ov control is great. I would just walk backwards as a melee came at me and hit slick shoes and it would do 2 knockdowns back to back, all the while I am shooting the crap out of them. When all of my utilities are on cool down, I simply use shield 4 or put up shield 5 and let them hit me and stun themselves.

Do not worry. Gadget builds have condition removal. Bowl of Saffron-scented Poultry Soup gives +70 Healing power and 100% Chance to remove a condition on heal. So I simply use med kit and all I have to do to remove conditions is to swap in and out of med kit instantly and viola, a condition is removed each time. All the while everyone gets to see my great looking shield and pistol the whole time.

I used to run an Elixir Rifle build as well in WvW, but sadly that doesn't cater to his existing Rabid gear as requested.

#10 ohyo

ohyo

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostArkham Creed, on 28 February 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

TLDR; I need suggestions for a rifle based engineer build suited for rabid (condition damage/precision/toughness) gear and that doesn’t use kits or turrets so that I can justify the grind for a legendary by actually using it. Thank you.

Try going for this: http://wiki.guildwar...ki/The_Predator
Then bring Grenade Kit. It'll make your grenade barrage funky and continues a red glow even while kits are in use.

#11 coglin

coglin

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostSagramor, on 28 February 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I used to run an Elixir Rifle build as well in WvW, but sadly that doesn't cater to his existing Rabid gear as requested.
It doesn't matter what you do, nothing will cater to rabid gear with a rifle in nearly the same way it will for P/P or P/S.

Edited by coglin, 28 February 2013 - 08:31 PM.


#12 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Location:Anywhere I can find loot.
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

View Postcoglin, on 28 February 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

It doesn't matter what you do, nothing will cater to rabid gear with a rifle in nearly the same way it will for P/P or P/S.

That is what I was afraid of. Oh well, I could complain about how the only legendary an engineer can use that doesn't look like a child's toy and/or look too magical for the profession also happens to be meaningless with more than three quarters of our available builds, but that wouldn't be productive. Heck, kits are the only reason I started an engineer in the first place. I guess if I want to actually have something to do at endgame I need to make an alt.

#13 coglin

coglin

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

I use
http://dulfy.net/wp-...ning-shield.jpg
with
http://wiki.guildwar...ya_(weapon).jpg

So I have no desire to have a legendary, I like the looks of what I got. To me, most of the pistols need to be larger when wielding them.

#14 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2244 posts
  • Location:Anywhere I can find loot.
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

View Postcoglin, on 28 February 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

I use
http://dulfy.net/wp-...ning-shield.jpg
with
http://wiki.guildwar...ya_(weapon).jpg

So I have no desire to have a legendary, I like the looks of what I got. To me, most of the pistols need to be larger when wielding them.

The problem with both of those is they look way too magical for a technology based profession.

#15 coglin

coglin

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

View PostArkham Creed, on 28 February 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

The problem with both of those is they look way too magical for a technology based profession.
Well that is where we get into a matter of opinion. The way I see it, Jump shot is too magical for the profession. But I get your point.

#16 Cures

Cures

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 118 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FCoL]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

from what i read here and your reasons to play, i dont think you will be in this game long enough to see a legendary tbh. you're the carrot-on-the-stick kind of player imo (no insult at all, thats fine) - those players have hard times in GW2. if you categorically cross out fractals, which are in fact the carrot on the stick (levels, gear tiers, rewards, difficulty, ...) or enjoy dungeons for the fun they are, you'll run against the high wall that is a legendary and give up soon. Or you will spend 2k € and never look back.
either way i give my wiseasserish hint like always: find a guild that you enjoy playing with. in a matter of seconds things like "endgame" and "grind" will vanish. imo.

#17 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostArkham Creed, on 28 February 2013 - 05:42 PM, said:

I really don’t want to have to go for another exotic set, not only do I lack the karma for that, I spent a week wiki-ing the various temple sets and bouncing between locations to actually have a full rabid set, so I do not want to change it.

I'm not sure you have any perspective on just how much effort this legendary thing is going to take.

#18 Thaddeuz

Thaddeuz

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 561 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[TRAP]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 01 March 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure you have any perspective on just how much effort this legendary thing is going to take.

Ya, if you don't want to get another set of exotic armor, you gonna give up on the Legendary. To get a new set of exotic armor it about 10 hours of game, legendary its about 300 hours of game depending if your lucky with your Precursor or if you buy it

#19 bowens1987

bowens1987

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Sorry for the late post but i have a build you may like, it will require different gear but that's to be expected (i have 5 exotic sets i use for different builds) and compared to your legendary a set of gear is nothing.

Build:
http://www.gw2build....97.0.20.0.20.30

Its a static discharge build using Pow/Vit/tough gear this is my pvp spec but there are some things you can tweak.

with your skills rifle turret is a must have (your rarely drop the turret but your tool belt skill is on an 8s cool down so you use it to proc static discharge as much as possible) the PBR is a choice you could use goggles for the extra stun break and vuln (it also procs SD nicely) you could also throw in a net turret for more control (once again using this for the tool belt skill not the turret) or you could use an elixer.

trait wise firearms is kinda duh i just took the best traits for rifle.
30 in tools for static discharge and endurance regain the 20 slot skill could be swapped for something different but i like speedy kits.
and last but not least why take alchemy w/o using elixirs? well putt simple it gives more def than any other tree for 20 points.

This build is hard to handle it has a lot of burst and utility great for PvE and PvP but you have to know your stuff or you will just die.

There isnt really any class i cant take 1v1 with this build and if i get the jump on them i can usually take skilled players on 2v1 (have some 3v1 vids but the players were scrubs so it doesn't count)

Hope this helps (Engis freakin rock!)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users