10 replies to this topic

#1 Babylon

Babylon

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

So the new guild rush quests reminded me of something I tried a while ago, where I made an elementalist that traded damage for movement speed (partly because I'm an impatient sonofabitch).

Firstly I'm wondering: just how fast can one get their character to move (I mean average speed)? As I said, my profession of choice for this was an air-attuned elementalist - it had several passive speed boosts if wielding daggers, or swiftness if wielding a staff. Then there's the engineer who, with a certain trait, can have permanent swiftness if you can live with having to switch out a kit every 5 seconds.

The second thing I'm wondering is: is it actually worth using as many speed boosts as possible to reduce travel time while levelling? Does the speed cancel out the extra time taken to kill mobs due to the abandonment of damage-dealing traits?

And no, this isn't a serious suggestion about trait builds, nor is it a long-term plan of mine to trade damage for speed - it's just something I do for fun while levelling.

#2 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

ive always felt like the characters moved too slow i nthe game, its almost likea casual jog is the fatest you go.

ive recently rolleda ranger and rangers have the signet of the hunt where youre movement speed is increased by 25% permanently and i feel much more natural when im running around and it really makes a difference.

but other than that i dont use anything else to boost my speed.

#3 brokerib

brokerib

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HOWL]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:19 AM

Thief and necro also have signets for a +25% increase, with the necro one being available from level 5.  Thief signet is tier 3, so it takes a while longer to get.

Max speed boost is +33%, and most professions can maintain that constantly (or near constantly) with some effort (correct traits, utilities and weapon sets, rotating skills on cool down, etc).  There's a couple of threads floating around on building for continuous speed, but I find the +25% is good enough for me, particularly as it's a passive ability.  Also there's also no particular affect on damage from using the signet and the activation effects are reasonable in a pinch.

But yeah, the normal run speed is to slow, don't know if the extra speed helps with my levelling but it certainly makes me feel better about it!
After levelling my thief to 80 with signet of shadows equipped for most of it, I haven't been able to bring myself to level an alt until the necro signet boost was raised to +25% :P

Edited by brokerib, 06 March 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#4 Limbolein

Limbolein

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Warrior can be quite fast using GS and sword/warhorn. Perma swiftness, Rush for 1200 range, Savage leap and Bull's charge for both 600, Whirlwind attack for 450, Tsunami slash for 600 range under water and several ways to remove slow effects. I use this for my daily orichalcum farm runs.

#5 d_fens

d_fens

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WAR]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

My warrior - signet mastery trait, signet of rage skill, boon duration runes on armor, 30 points in tactics. 48 seconds boots on 48 second recharge. I can live with 1 second downtime for casting signet.

#6 Millimidget

Millimidget

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Perma swiftness is nothing special; my boon duration warrior could stack infinite amounts of swiftness using only half of the warrior's swiftness sources (highest I got it to was 5m, but it's not like I was trying).

What you're looking for, and I believe the elementalist might be the best for this, are mods which enhance overall movespeed or enhance swiftness. There's a rune set which increases the swiftness buff from 33% to 40%, or something like that. Elementalist, if I recall, has one or two similar buffs.

With regards to leveling, you're probably right in assuming that at some point you'll be trading killing speed for movespeed. Overall, you won't be hitting anything impressive like perma swiftness, or even be able to use the rune set I mention above, and you'd probably benefit from periodically respecing your traits in order to pull it off (ie sometimes it'll be more effective to use a damage oriented build, while for other level ranges you might get away with being nominally damage oriented while still also picking up a key movespeed trait).

Edited by Millimidget, 06 March 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#7 Jump_N_Move

Jump_N_Move

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

In beta movement speed was at least ~15% faster. They had to tone it down, because people whined they ran through people in melee too much and kite dodging was actually viable.

I personally think in combat movement speed is too slow, but with lots of runes of pack and other traits, near party perma-swiftness brings that back up to normal level.

#8 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Centaur runes and temporal curtain on my mesmer = love.

#9 ShezuTsukai

ShezuTsukai

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Soul]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

If movement speed is capped at +33% why do thieves have Fleet Shadow trait moving 50% faster when stealthed?

And thieves speed +25% sig, 50% while stealthed, quickness on dodge, and shadow steps make them pretty fast all the time with negligible loss of killing power.

#10 Jump_N_Move

Jump_N_Move

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

It's capped at +33% for stacking speed boosts. But if a single trait is more than +33% it ignores that restriction.

#11 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

View Postd_fens, on 06 March 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

My warrior - signet mastery trait, signet of rage skill, boon duration runes on armor, 30 points in tactics. 48 seconds boots on 48 second recharge. I can live with 1 second downtime for casting signet.

warhorn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users