10 replies to this topic

#1 The Black Lion

The Black Lion

Pale Tree Seedling

• Community Contributors
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hey!

Last week I asked the readers of my blog to vote on what gold making guide they would like to see next, with over 190 participants and a lot of competition flipping was eventually declared the winner with 32% of the votes.

With the original guide hitting over 3000 characters in text and formatting I had to take the decision to split the content into three separate guide, an Introduction to the very basics of flipping, a step to step guide for beginners and an "advanced" guide covering watchlists, Market exploration and diversification.

I spent a lot of work on them, so I hope you guys enjoy and go on to make a lot of gold!

Flipping is the “bread and butter” technique for making gold on the Guild Wars 2 Trading Post. Not only is it the fastest way to turn a profit but it is also one of  the easiest. In this guide I will answer several questions about flipping and share with you the basic knowledge required to successfully get started in the competitive trading post scene in Guild Wars 2.

Introduction to Flipping

Flipping in Guild Wars 2 is one of the easiest methods available for making gold on the Trading Post, however to new players the terminology, graphs and market changes can quickly become confusing. In this guide we will share all the knowledge required for a new player to successfully purchase, list and sell and item for a profit.

Flipping for Beginners

The Advanced Flipping Guide is for players who are now comfortable with buying and selling items in their chosen niche and who are looking for help tracking their purchases and diversifying into new markets.

Advanced Flipping

Edited by The Black Lion, 18 March 2013 - 02:35 PM.

#2 IzHaN_GW2GuRu

IzHaN_GW2GuRu

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for this guide. I am learning the basics with this :)

#3 ScorpioSpork

ScorpioSpork

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FoW]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

I'm also using these to learn the basics! Thanks for posting this. I particularly liked your 7 Tools and Resources.

#4 Nicholas Deathguard

Nicholas Deathguard

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:31 AM

Wow, this really made the learning curve not so steep. THANK YOU

#5 The Black Lion

The Black Lion

Pale Tree Seedling

• Community Contributors
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostScorpioSpork, on 24 March 2013 - 10:30 PM, said:

I'm also using these to learn the basics! Thanks for posting this. I particularly liked your 7 Tools and Resources.

No problem,

The 7 tools and resources article is a bit outdated now, so I may create an update list in the future!

#6 zwft

zwft

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

The guys behind goldwars are making the profit here. I find it very strange that they can post there progapanda here.
Flipping is not simple. Making gold takes time and effort.

#7 entropy3

entropy3

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

View Postzwft, on 13 June 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

The guys behind goldwars are making the profit here. I find it very strange that they can post there progapanda here.
Flipping is not simple. Making gold takes time and effort.

I mean, have you used the tool? It sounds like you haven't used it, both because you sound disgusted by it (or at least the price) and because you sound like you don't play the TP much. But it really does simplify things.

Furthermore, "propaganda" seems unnecessarily mean. This guy writing his blogs is advertising a tool that he uses as a part of the blog, that's it. He also advertises the use of alternative (read, "free") TP tools. I find it extremely hard to believe that there is an ulterior motive in here somewhere on the part of Gold Wars 2.

To be brutally honest, by bashing Gold Wars 2, you make it seem like either you have some ulterior motive that involves making them look bad, or you're just cranky :P.

#8 zwft

zwft

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi entyropy3

Thanks for your reply.
I am Dutch so maybe my English isn't that good all the time.
The part i like the most of GW2 is the TP. A couple of good free tools on the internet are enough to make profit and have fun.
Flipping items to make a profit is, in my opinion a simplification. Another thing i read a lot is that one has to look for items with a big spread (otherwise you can't flip it). Why does an item has a big spread? Mostly because the market of that item is inactive.
If a the item's market is active and still flippable, the profit is very low.

I hate running dungeons so i make gold only by the TP. I just made 300 gold profit with buying/selling (not flipping) one item. In my opinion it's just stupid to pay real money for a tool that does the same as some free tools on the internet.  

If one is not interested in the TP and the economy of GW2, i would say: pay real money and go flip yourselp a couple of copper coins.

That really sounds like fun......

#9 entropy3

entropy3

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postzwft, on 14 June 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

/snip
Thank you for your reply as well sir.

In response: Eh, your prerogative I suppose. Here are some confusions/counterarguments I would put forward:

I hate running dungeons so i make gold only by the TP. I just made 300 gold profit with buying/selling (not flipping) one item. In my opinion it's just stupid to pay real money for a tool that does the same as some free tools on the internet.  
1: A few things here.

First, I don't know if there is a difference between buying/selling and "flipping". As far as my vocabulary goes, "flipping" is buying low, selling high. Unless "flipping" is specifically using buy orders and sell orders as opposed to buying at the listed price and selling at the listed price, I know of no difference.

Second, I personally find your 300 gold claim hard to believe. Using buy orders and sell orders... Ok, sure. But since you specifically claimed you weren't "flipping", its harder to believe. I'll leave that one aside though since I wouldn't know.

Finally, I agree that it would be stupid to pay for something that is free somewhere else, but that's not the case. Gold Wars 2 has, from my personal experience with it, a much more advanced, clean, tool rich environment. The idea and rationale behind paying for it is that the time that you save by using Gold Wars 2 over other sites could be used to make real money, thereby paying for itself. If you would rather not pay for it, that's your choice, but bashing a legitimate tool just because you don't like that you would have to pay for it is dishonest. Now if you've payed for it before, and you find it to be no more helpful than free tools, then go on making statements, but support them with comparisons at least. It is your job to prove a claim, not for anyone else to disprove it.

If one is not interested in the TP and the economy of GW2, i would say: pay real money and go flip yourselp a couple of copper coins.

That really sounds like fun......

2: If one was not interested in the TP and the economy of GW2, I highly doubt that they would even know such tools existed, let alone use them or pay for one. If by this you mean to say that if you use this tool, then you must not be truely interested in the economy of Guild Wars 2, then you are over generalizing things. As an analogy, a normal person and a stock broker can both be interested and invested in the stock market, but since the normal person only understands the general principles to making money (buy low, sell high), they use tools to help them out. However, even though the stock broker could manually look through all the stocks every day, he too could benefit from using a stock market tool. The same applies to the TP in game, to a point where the analogy is almost exact. Both newbies and experts of the TP can benefit from this tool, perhaps the experts most of all since they can better interpret the data.

#10 zwft

zwft

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Flipping is: buy low and sell high immediately in items with a large spread.
Otherwise it wouldn't be called flipping, but just trading. A large spread mostly is a dead market.

How come i often craft an item and sell it directly to the highest bidder with profit?
I know the answer.

And yes, i put 600 gold in ...... and made a profit of 300 gold in 2 weeks time. 2 weeks time is no flipping.
It's just reading the market.

But it's okey, the TP is just a very marginal tool compared to the market in the real world and lots of players don't care about the economy. It's just a game.

Does the goldwars tool gives you real information about a spread? Have they made an algorithm that gives you a realistic view of the value of all the buy orders? Lot of 1 copper cents buy orders make false data. If the GW2 market would be really interesting, i would program a tool myself. But it's not worth the time and effort. It's not about the amount of gold, but the fun of making gold. If i could trade the gold for real money, that would be something else :-)

#11 zwft

zwft

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

So first time i bought for 600 g karka shells and made 300 profit.
After that i bought karka shells again for 800 gold with a profit of 200.
Flipping items directly to me is still for people who like some copper coins.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users