Corsair

Is trivia

• Super Moderators
  • 5471 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostAzure Skye, on 22 March 2013 - 07:06 AM, said:

I'm lost, who are they? o.O
GW1 dinosaurs. Simply put, they didn't like GW2. I don't know much more than that since I don't know them personally. Billiard has retained some activity on QQ, though not much.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.

Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!

#4 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

They probably decided to grow up and leave instead of spamming a forum of a game they hate.

#5 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

Seraph Guardian

• Content Writers
  • 1275 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostLordkrall, on 22 March 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

They probably decided to grow up and leave instead of spamming a forum of a game they hate.

The growing up part is almost certainly true. GW1 was over 7 years ago. If you played it at college at 20 you'd be 28 by now, probably in a full time job, maybe with kids and a mortgage and very little time for those 20 hour a day playing marathons you used to do. Also, tastes change. 8 years ago I loved FPS's. Now they are just boring,

Changing tastes IMHO accounts for a fair bit if the GW1 was better feelings and that's ok too. It's just the passage of time

I forget the real demographic figures Anet released ages ago, but I do remember being surprised at how high the average age of the GW1 player was. Add 7 years on to that and and the reason why so many GW1 players aren't around is pretty clear.

Things have moved on, and for me that's entirely fine :)

Edited by shanaeri rynale, 22 March 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#6 Shiren

Shiren

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

They were big in the GW1 PvP scene. I know Ensign had an NPC boss named after him, I think Izzy (Isiah Cartwright, at the time he was one of the lead devs for skill balance) even used a post from Ensign as an example of constructive PvP feedback.

But yeah, I suspect if they don't like the game (the PvP in GW2 is very different from GW1) they probably just moved on. There are plenty of other games that offer polished, fun and competitive PvP, no point sticking around for something inferior when LoL is free.

#7 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

oh, I'm not that old with GW1 and yea, people do change and move on. >.<

#8 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3265 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

http://guild-hall.cz...a-2-ast?start=1

#9 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yea, I know they moved on. I was just wondering if someone knew what they were doing now. Billiard had a site contributor tag and ensign has a few posts as well.

Oh well...

View PostLordkrall, on 22 March 2013 - 07:27 AM, said:

Ah c'mon without a little conflict things get boring, eh?

View PostCorsair, on 22 March 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

GW1 dinosaurs. Simply put, they didn't like GW2. I don't know much more than that since I don't know them personally. Billiard has retained some activity on QQ, though not much.

They were also ambassadors between GW players and ANet. Has anyone really filled that role yet?

#10 Shiren

Shiren

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 22 March 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

They were also ambassadors between GW players and ANet. Has anyone really filled that role yet?

ArenaNet have an alpha testing team. There was a leaked audio recording of a PvP balance discussion they were having that was made public a while back. They also have the official forums - where your suggestions and idea belong to ArenaNet. Why do they need ambassadors when they have direct contact with the players through their own forums? I personally never spoke to Ensign, I've had developers post in the same threads I post in and even directly respond to things I've said. We all fill that role now.

#11 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2248 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostShiren, on 22 March 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

ArenaNet have an alpha testing team. There was a leaked audio recording of a PvP balance discussion they were having that was made public a while back. They also have the official forums - where your suggestions and idea belong to ArenaNet. Why do they need ambassadors when they have direct contact with the players through their own forums? I personally never spoke to Ensign, I've had developers post in the same threads I post in and even directly respond to things I've said. We all fill that role now.

I think there is quite a difference between having a forum where chances are unlikely that you will get a response from a developer versus opposed to an ambassador who speaks and asks questions on behalf of the players and can expect an answer to their question.

If the developers answered all the questions, or even more than half, of the question on the forums, then it would be a different story. However, that is really impractical. So, doesn't it also seem important to have a few select people who can speak for the community and expect to get a response?

#12 Shiren

Shiren

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Still no. The developers are going to answer the quetions they want to answer and ignore the ones they want to ignore. They have been candid on a few issues  numerous times on the forums (which has caused some trouble - Colin just recently commented on conditions while touring away from the studio and the situation had changed in that time, this information was made public which shows how up to date they can be). Even when interviewed by fanblogs or even gaming journalists ArenaNet is more than happy to give the usual "we aren't talking about that yet" or "when it's ready" or "there is nothing in the works". It wouldn't matter if there was someone representing the community or not, an issue they aren't going to talk about is an issue they won't talk about. I think we've seen far more dialogue from the developers via the official forums than we ever saw from ambassadors. We also have community projects like GW2Guru's state of the game which involves the balance devs.

People like Ensign were never elected to represent the community (that's not what they did), ArenaNet talked to them because they understood the PvP meta and they understood how to give feedback. They didn't provide journalistic value to the community. I'm sure ArenaNet is more than happy to talk with sPvP players who they think might be able to help them with balance.

I personally don't believe there is anyone out there who represents my interests. I don't post on the official forums hoping or expecting to get a developer response, but I do post there knowing they read it and the discussing it's a part of. I don't think an "ambassador" will fill a role that's any different from what we already have. I believe the developers are already answering the questions they want to answer and sharing the information they want to share.

#13 Age

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

Who can blame them for doing so.

#14 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2248 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostAge, on 22 March 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Who can blame them for doing so.

Where did you come from? I like you! :)

#15 Kattar

Kattar

Your Shoulder to Cry On

• Administrators
  • 2214 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:20 PM

Ensign still posts occasionally. Here in fact.

Billiard is still teaching, I'm sure.

You are fooling yourself, user. Nothing here is what it seems. ANet is not the plucky hero, Guru is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.

Questions about moderation? For the love of Balthazar ask them here!

#16 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2248 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostKattar, on 22 March 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

Ensign still posts occasionally. Here in fact.

Billiard is still teaching, I'm sure.

Thanks!

#17 Bi11iard

Bi11iard

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Just came across this between classes - sorry for the necro. Yes I am teaching and I managed to convince Ensign to go get his PhD. Small world as we both are in the same area now! Hope all is well in Guild Wars land.

#18 snograt

snograt

rattus rattus

• Site Contributors
  • Curse Premium
  • 410 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[wiki]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

"Who are Billiard and Ensign?"

Gods from a bygone age.

We shall never see their like again.

#19 Kattar

Kattar

Your Shoulder to Cry On

• Administrators
  • 2214 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

View Postsnograt, on 02 April 2014 - 09:00 PM, said:

"Who are Billiard and Ensign?"

Gods from a bygone age.

We shall never see their like again.
P sure we just saw one. :P

Glad things are going well Billiard!

You are fooling yourself, user. Nothing here is what it seems. ANet is not the plucky hero, Guru is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.

#20 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators
  • 3836 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AWWW]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

IT'S A GHOST!!!! RUN AWAY!

Little Mabel won't be able to be here it's our worst fear. She's busy working on her garden that she's growing up in space.

Why hello there forumite. Would you like me to review some moderation you did not agree with? Never fear! PM is here! Want to be a better poster? Check on this link! And this one!

#21 Bi11iard

Bi11iard

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Its funny because one of my students was asking me how I knew so much about video games and I told him I used to play a lot, so he wanted to know my in game name.  I googled to make sure nothing weird would come up if he did a search that is how I found this page!

#22 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators
  • 3836 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AWWW]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostBi11iard, on 05 April 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

Its funny because one of my students was asking me how I knew so much about video games and I told him I used to play a lot, so he wanted to know my in game name.  I googled to make sure nothing weird would come up if he did a search that is how I found this page!

Have had to do the same thing myself. :P

Little Mabel won't be able to be here it's our worst fear. She's busy working on her garden that she's growing up in space.

Why hello there forumite. Would you like me to review some moderation you did not agree with? Never fear! PM is here! Want to be a better poster? Check on this link! And this one!

#23 moriz0

moriz0

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

what happened to them?

all of the above as mentioned by everybody else, and probably also decided that the signal to noise ratio on gw2guru is now abysmally bad. simply put, there are better resources out there, ones with less trolls and idiots that waste your time.

maybe it's a case of rose-tinted glasses, but i remember that gwguru and gw2guru used to be a lot better. or maybe because that as i get older myself, i have less time and patience for forum troll nonsense.

#24 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1266 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

View Postmoriz0, on 21 April 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

maybe it's a case of rose-tinted glasses, but i remember that gwguru and gw2guru used to be a lot better.

I remember a time when Guild Wars was better too.

You think full-damage-control official forums and hugbox reddit are the way to go?

#25 moriz0

moriz0

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

official forums are irrelevant for game discussions. they're for official anet communications and little else.

reddit is where i'd go if i have gameplay questions. the SnR there is better, and what questions i have get answered. i have no idea what you mean by "hugbox reddit".

as for guild wars being better, i disagree. GW2 is better than GW1 in many regards, and i have no idea if GW2 now is better than GW2 at launch. there are numerous quality of life changes added since launch, which i really appreciate. so in a way, GW2 now is better than GW2 at launch.

#26 Kattar

Kattar

Your Shoulder to Cry On

• Administrators
  • 2214 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Reddit is a hugbox because everyone there loves GW2 and have almost nothing but good to say about it. To be fair, that should be the nature of the subreddit though. It should be a place where everyone loves GW2. If you don't really enjoy the game you're not going to be posting there.

People on a forum are different though because a lot of them have been here for a long time. It's easier to have a sense of community on a forum, I think, which is why people stay here long after their enthusiasm has waned. Whereas with reddit you're probably still using the site for other things and if you don't want to read about GW2 or participate in the discussion anymore, you don't bother with the subreddit. This behavior is demonstrated by the behavior of posters outside the sub - when a GW2 thread is posted in gaming for instance. The responses vary widely from positive to negative, while the tone of the GW2 is positive.

Reddit is a hugbox because of the nature of reddit basically. This community is the way it is because the vocal minority won't leave even though most of them have stopped playing the game like they used to, if at all. Truthfully this place should be more like reddit.

Anyway, this is all tangential.

#27 Faer

Faer

King of Guild Wars

• Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • 1882 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HKIA]

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

Ensign still plays GW2. We run into each other occasionally when I can be bothered to get on.

Actually it's like, every time I can be bothered to get on, I guess.

#28 Xenomortis

Xenomortis

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

https://forum-en.gui...ers/Ensign-2189
If you feel like stalking, you creepy people.

#29 ben911993

ben911993

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Guild Tag:[YAAR]

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

This thread gives me such nostalgia of hanging out around the GW1 guru forums. Particularly the off topic, where Faer was the undisputed lord of threads for quite some time. I think I even recall some kind of mock feud between him and Arkantos at one point.

Ah, good times.

#30 Lemming

Lemming

casuals are terrible

• Site Contributors
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:03 PM

View PostFaer, on 17 May 2014 - 06:13 AM, said:

Ensign still plays GW2. We run into each other occasionally when I can be bothered to get on.

Actually it's like, every time I can be bothered to get on, I guess.
You should be bothered with getting on IRC more than once every two months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users