8 replies to this topic

#1 Relyt

Relyt

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Hello,
So I’ve seen a few polls on PvP and the questions never seem to be about specifics. What about so and so class needs to be nerfed/buffed? What about spvp is bad? This poll primary focuses on s/tPvP and WvW, so most of these questions about balance are centered around PVP not PVE.
I’d appreciate people to answerPosted Image.
https://docs.google....Rc58kE/viewform
If you feel the need to expand on a question you answered in the poll, simply respond to this in the following format
“On question that ask the question “_”, I answered _ because _."
Thanks

#2 Larsen

Larsen

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

The reason people aren't discussing PvP is because this game's PvP was dead on arrival. There's almost nobody there. No competitive scene ever sprang up, no guilds ever made names for themselves, no metagame ever developed. It was stillborn and never became anything because the developers neglected most of the fundamental features that make a healthy PvP environment (most of which were in GW1, which makes their absence in GW2 all the more bizarre and tragic). Don't expect much discussion about GW2 PvP -- there's nobody around to talk about it, and there hasn't been any meaningful PvP to talk about. In fact, the best period for GW2 PvP was the beta weekends leading up to release. That was the peak of competitive PvP and the only time when anybody was remotely serious about it.

#3 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostLarsen, on 31 March 2013 - 03:40 AM, said:

It was stillborn and never became anything because the developers neglected most of the fundamental features that make a healthy PvP environment

care to elaborate in detail?  id really like to know why GW2 PvP didnt catch on.  im not a serious pvper so from the untrained eye, things seemed to be in place to provide a competitive environment

#4 Cereal

Cereal

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

The most enjoyment I ever got with this game's pvp was in Beta weekends 2 and 3.

Here's to hoping an expansion will bring light to what I looked forward most.

Edited by Cereal, 31 March 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#5 Larsen

Larsen

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

View PostDasryn, on 31 March 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

care to elaborate in detail?  id really like to know why GW2 PvP didnt catch on.  im not a serious pvper so from the untrained eye, things seemed to be in place to provide a competitive environment

It was just too primitive to support a competitive scene. No observer mode, no real tournament structure, no sensible rank or rating system, no matchmaking, and the total separation between the two sides of the game (PvP and PvE) meant there was little incentive to dabble in both. GW1 allowed you to use your PvE character in PvP, and there was a lot of prestige in doing so because you could use items with rare skins where most others had the standard issue PvP sets.

#6 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

I for one would love to play a little sPvP just to see how much I could stink at it.  I answered the poll with ideas that might make the mode more enticing.

The problem is I'm not dedicated enough to be really into it enough to have a team all set up and stuff.  It'd be all pick up games (hotjoin) for me, which isn't really the way it's meant to be done apparently.  It'd be great for waiting for queues to pop.

The other problem is that I have to weigh doing that against leveling up more guys for WvW.  Although soon enough I won't be doing that any more, so maybe then I'll give it a try.

#7 General Typhus

General Typhus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GanK]

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Alliance Battles need to happen

#8 DanteGalileo

DanteGalileo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AO]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Nothing about the bleed cap on that survey.  I think there should be.

#9 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[TyE]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

the current PvP system eliminates any actual skill from the equation, its all about how much damage can my glass cannon deal and take, the system is an absolute fail which shocked me with how wonderful PvP was in GW1.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pvp, poll, wvw, spvp, tpvp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users