4 replies to this topic

#1 Blade_Dancer1

Blade_Dancer1

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hello all.

I am working on my first legendary weapon. I have accumulated almost every piece except map completion and badge of honor, those two will come in time for sure.
But the problem is: I will probably be broke after I actually craft it. And I really really don't want to be with nothing but a legendary on hand. Nor do I intend to do the gold farming any more. ( God, I am already amazed by, and sick of :] , myself farming 400+ gold and earning another 400+ from market flipping.)
So after a night of thinking, I came out with a plan, to eventually have a legendary for my own without going broke. It still require a lot of time and grinding, but I personally find the task list more interesting than, let's say, "running COF 1000 times".
I hope you guys can help me judge whether it makes sense or not.

My plan in short: craft 4 legendary weapons one by one, sell each to fund the next and leave the last one or two for myself.

Details of this plan:
  • Money.

Since I sell each one to fund the mats and precursor for the next one, the biggest challenge - gold is solved. Checking the info on gw2spidy, I figure if I craft the most profitable ones (for now, dust or dawn) to sell, I will make 500+ gold each time. so after selling the first 3 I will end up with 2500-3000 gold, well enough for me to keep the forth for my own and still have 1500 gold to live like a king.
TL;DR: gold is not an issue.

• Toons.

Create 4 toons and speed-level them to 80 by the least time consuming ways. This seems awkward at first sight, but you will see this is absolutely necessary for my plan to work.

• 300+ Mystic Clover & 1000 Obsidian Shards

I actually only need half of that amount, because I still have a ton of Karma and skill points left. But still, this have been almost impossible until this month, when the life-saving Super Adventure Box came!!! Farming it gives me on average 40+ BB in the first two hours everyday. And if I continue with Zone 2 digging, it still gives me about 18 BB an hour. I expect I can easily get enough BB to cover 80% of both by the end of April. To be fair, it is still a farming, but if you think about it, it's 19-20 Obsidian Shard per hour, which equals 40K karma or 300 fractal relics. I think nothing else in this game is even comparable. I hate repetition, but I just can't ignore this extreme efficiency. Also, this is the only farming required in my plan.
TL;DR: Farm SAB for Mystic Clover & Obsidian Shards

• 2 x Map completion

Nothing special here. But I think the second map completion should take much less time than the first. In fact I plan to do map completion for two toons at the same time, to minimize the time I would spend in figuring out those frustrating vistas and hidden POIs. I expect this would only take 50% time of your first time.

• Another 3 Bloodstone Shard (each = 200 sp) ??!!

I thought this part is impossibly hard, until last night. The key is you need SP only, not 200 level-ups. Having charted the map twice, you should have a good idea of locations of easy Skill Points. That's why we create new toons to visit those Skill Points, ignoring everything else on map. You only need to visit about 130 (choose easy ones), since you have earned 80 via leveling. I personally tested and proven that visiting Skill Points alone in low-level area with lv80 toon is completely different from doing map completion. It took me only 1 hours to get 15 - 20 skill points. I think it's safe to say that it should take less than 15 hour for each Bloodstone Shard (soulbound won't be a problem since everything else is account bound). And it just occurred to me that using this method to gain crystal might be more efficient than SAB farming.

TL;DR: Keep creating toons, speed-leveing them to lv70-80, and then visiting all easy SP on map. Doing this should give you a Bloodstone Shard in 15 hours, provided that you should have done map-completion twice and thus know which easy SPs to pick.

• Dungeon Tokens and WvW badges

Not much to say here. Just know that with 5 lv80 toon, it's much more efficient to get WvW badges from JP. 2000 badge = about 25 days (about an hour each day). While getting 500 badges with 1 lv80 charr takes 1/4 of the time, you still need the same number of days. Same applies to dungeon.

Summary: this plan takes advantage of SAB and the increasing efficiency from gaining SP from familiar maps. Instead of crafting 1 legendary weapon, we craft 4. You will still have your legendary at last, with much more gold. I expect the total time invested for that extra gold is only 200-250 hours. Not bad for 1500 extra gold, right?

Welcome any comment or suggestion. Please do let me know if you like or dislike this idea.
I posted on reddit first. Just want to get as many comments as possible. Hopefully it's not a problem.

#2 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

Doesn't seem remotely worth it to me. Once you have your legendary, what else is there to buy that doesn't use tokens or some such?

You an altaholic? If so then I suppose doing this is justified, barely.

#3 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ARM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

By the time you get that done there will be noone ingame to sell them too :(

#4 Blade_Dancer1

Blade_Dancer1

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostCalypso589, on 11 April 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

Doesn't seem remotely worth it to me. Once you have your legendary, what else is there to buy that doesn't use tokens or some such?

You an altaholic? If so then I suppose doing this is justified, barely.

No I am not altoholic, but creating a few new toons and adventure on open map is far more interesting than COF1 farming to me.

#5 Digilodger

Digilodger

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostBlade_Dancer1, on 10 April 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

Summary: this plan takes advantage of SAB and the increasing efficiency from gaining SP from familiar maps. Instead of crafting 1 legendary weapon, we craft 4. You will still have your legendary at last, with much more gold. I expect the total time invested for that extra gold is only 200-250 hours. Not bad for 1500 extra gold, right?

Welcome any comment or suggestion. Please do let me know if you like or dislike this idea.

But GW2's trade post has a 15% "tax" to items you sell.  When you put your legendary on trade post to sell, you have to pay 5% of the item's cost, then 10% more upon successful sale.

That means for every 1000 golds, you're paying 150 golds in tax alone.  That's ~300+ golds in tax for popular legendaries like Twilight, Sunrise, Bifrost, Incinerator, etc. at their current standard price of ~2000+ golds right now.

I'm not sure how often people buy them.  But if you're unlucky and couldn't sell yours fast, you might never get your final legendary until the end of the year. :mellow:

Edited by Digilodger, 11 April 2013 - 03:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users