Phadde

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[SWE]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm looking for the third and last class to level up to 80. I tried out the Engineer today and looked through all the Traits and skills.

I love the kinetic feel of the rifle and it looks like there's a lot more where that came from in the form of Utility Skills.

I really like the amount of abilities that are actually available at a given time, i.e. if you chose the Flame Turret as an Utility Skill you get:

An AoE on the Toolbelt
The Ability to deploy the Turret - and then you get...
... The Ability to create a Smoke Field...
... And then your Toolbelt ability gets swapped to the ability to blow the turret up, which makes a combo finisher in the Smoke Field, cloaking nearby allies.

I feel like this encourages just the playstyle that I like the most: To be successful, you've top be on your toes, reading the situation on the fly and doing a lot of actions based on the information gathered . If you perform well, you get rewarded by being helpful to the group. I.e. this is something that I get to do a lot more on my squishy Elementalist and less on my Zerker-Warrior.

I get bored on my Warrior because of the straightforward combat but it evens out when you look at the damage.

I really enjoy my Bunker Elementalist because of the complex combat and I bring ALOT of support. Doing lousy damage sucks, but by going full out damage in the attributes I can do enough damage to feel like I'm pushing the bars just as good as anyone else while I have to be even more on my toes since I can't take too may hits.

My question is: do you think that the Engineer will prove to be a class to my liking? I've read a lot of Doom & Gloom and a lot of people saying that it's "the most fun profession to play". Is the Engineer something similar to how I explained my Elementalist?

Thanks in Advance.

#2 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

I love my Engineer. It's very much like how Elementalist was designed in GW1. Unlike in GW2, where you're intended to swap between attunements, in GW1 the Elementalist was about specialization and chaining between one or two specific attunements.

Because of its multi-faceted style of play, I naturally gravitated toward the class as my main. I could specialize in one thing and yet swap around my points and specialize in something else, playing a totally different role in groups. I couldn't heal/battery as well as a Monk or Ritualist nor could I hex as well as a Mesmer. Instead I would often just fill out whatever was most needed in a group.

And I feel the Engineer works much the same way, at least in my experience. I can specialize around Explosives and stack Vulnerability dishing out great DPS. I can specialize around Inventions and Alchemy and focus on support. Or I can specialize around Firearms and get a hybrid of both.

As for the "doom and gloom," I was frustrated by the change to Kit Refinement just like everybody else was. But a lot of the complaints on the official forums really come from people who used gimmick builds like 100nades as a crutch and never actually learned to play the Engineer.

Edited by Phineas_Poe, 11 April 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#3 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

Engineer is fun and dynamic, to a point.  Synergy is pretty lacking though.

Generally Gadgets are gimmicks, and their trait line is bad.

Elixirs are currently popular because of the synergy traits give them.  Remove conditions, Might stacking.  A lot of traits work for Elixirs.

Turrets are meh, especially if you pick up the Tool Kit, which takes up a utility slot that could be used for a third offensive turret.

Our Elite skills are lacking due to their overall randomness.

Mortar - it's okay, but Elite Supplies is bugged so it doesn't affect it all.

Elixir X - random

Supply Drop - probably the one you use most.  It's okay too.

Build viability will drive you mad.  Your damage (especially in a damage-focused PVE world) is lacking.  You are very much utilitarian.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#4 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 11 April 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Your damage (especially in a damage-focused PVE world) is lacking.

I really have to disagree with this. Specializing around the Bomb Kit or Grenade Kit, your DPS will be more than satisfactory if not better than most. The only class that will consistently outdamage an Engineer regardless of what you do is the Axe/Mace + GS Warrior. Which also outdamages everybody else, and is why you see CoF p1 runs focusing on 4 Warriors with 1 Mesmer.

When specialized for it, we offer top-tier AoE DPS. To the point where Retaliation can kill us alone in WvW.

Edited by Phineas_Poe, 11 April 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#5 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TyE]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Engineer is fun and dynamic, to a point.  Synergy is pretty lacking though.

Generally Gadgets are gimmicks, and their trait line is bad.

Elixirs are currently popular because of the synergy traits give them.  Remove conditions, Might stacking.  A lot of traits work for Elixirs.

Turrets are meh, especially if you pick up the Tool Kit, which takes up a utility slot that could be used for a third offensive turret.

Our Elite skills are lacking due to their overall randomness.

Mortar - it's okay, but Elite Supplies is bugged so it doesn't affect it all.

Elixir X - random

Supply Drop - probably the one you use most.  It's okay too.

Build viability will drive you mad.  Your damage (especially in a damage-focused PVE world) is lacking.  You are very much utilitarian.

honestly, have you played engineer? everything you say here is completely based in either having never played the class or never have actually tried to build the class.

engineer depends completely on changing to fight your specific targets knowing their weaknesses and altering your utility skills to overcome them. i change my utility skills in almost every situation on a minute by minute basis. you can't successfully play engineer as you would play a banner warrior, you HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR TRAITS. not how fair into each tree, but alter the numbers in them. for example if you are playing WvW in a Zerg situation you are going to trait for some kind of trait AoE damage and recharge, however using that same distance into the trees you can retrait for AoE condition removal, physical damage, or CC.

its all about know which skills to use when and where to use them. if you truely learn to play engineer you will dominate in PvE, and be one of the most valued members in many dungeons especially since you have a greater rez power (without any form of HP) than a guardian fully built for HP. likewise in WvW you will be impossible to gank and near impossible to kill in open field or siege until the last few deaths.

my engineer has soloed every dungeon possible with only one person as well as the possible one person fractals. work on it and you will love it, play it like a warrior and you will hate it. simple as that.

#6 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Your damage (especially in a damage-focused PVE world) is lacking.  You are very much utilitarian.

I bring up rampager grenade engy when you are in a party where no one else is applying a lot of bleeds.  potential dps is right up there with the heavy hitters (guardian and warrior), from 1500 range and all aoe.  Has a bit of a ramp-up time because of the bleed stacking, but you also put out 20+ vuln stacks that increase the dps of your warriors by 20%, the best CC in the game with freeze, blind on the trash mobs, and poison on self-healing mobs/bosses with 100% uptime easily.

Engy is solidly the best long range dps in the game right now if you bother to play it.  Bombs can also put out some big numbers in close.

Really your whole post is pretty awful and shows that you have never been able to full grasp engineer.  

Gadgets - rocket boots is a wonderful "oh shi-" button if you need to get out of an area and don't mind the knockdown time.  2 of them provide blast finishers (mine and rocket boots) which is probably the best finisher in the game given a fire or water field (might stacks/heal).  the other 2 are gimmicky but have their uses.

Turrets - still kinda bad but some of the toolbelt skills are nice.  Net turret is awesome CC and provides a net on the toolbelt, the toolbelt rocket has pretty good spike damage to end off a combo.  Not the best options engy has, but they aren't entirely horrible in non-dungeon PvE either.  And no one is saying you have to take tool kit to use turrets either.

Elites - you have a point, but supply drop can work wonders when timed right. Mortar is fun in WvW.  Elixir X I don't like either due to it's randomness, but can still have its uses if you don't want supply drop for whatever reason.

Build Viability - grenades are top tier, sure, but I've been entirely viable in dungeons with a might stacking flamethrower/e-gun build, bomb heals, static discharge rifle, and other things.  If anything, engy has the most viable builds in the game from my experience.  You can use every weapon and kit they offer and make something effective at what it needs to do.  I can't say the same for mesmer's scepter or torch, warrior mace main hand or either ranged option, any bow on ranger, etc.

Edited by matsif, 11 April 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#7 Den Spie

Den Spie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I was very sceptical but I tried engineer because a friend advised me to try it.
The long range dps was amazing he said, and I can't play/level any other class anymore :)

#8 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

elixer X is good for dungeons assuming you dont need the extra 5K health from the supply crate. the "randomness" doesnt much matter both are melee and both are excellent in most PvE situations though you will pretty much always carry supply crate.

#9 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostThirstyturtle, on 11 April 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

engineer depends completely on changing to fight your specific targets knowing their weaknesses and altering your utility skills to overcome them. i change my utility skills in almost every situation on a minute by minute basis.

First of all I'm loving the attitude, I've put aside GW2 for a long time and recently picked it back up got my engi to 80 and geared him.
Currently playing a mostly zerker build with rifle SD and tool kit and am having a ton of fun, now I'm planning to gather some more sets of armor so I can change up my style frequently (I was thinking Rampager and probably Cleric, any feedback on this is welcome). So I'm not the most experienced engineer but I'm feeling a ton of potential in this one and there's no doubt in my mind that I wish to master it and keep it as my main.

Now you mention HAVING to change up utilities a lot, as of yet I've only done this for condition removal, speeding up a res and Elixir U. I'd love to get your insight on this but don't many builds kind of force you to keep your utilities, the effectiveness of Static Discharge is hugely dependant on toolbelt skills and if you play an HGH build you'll have to have elixirs though there's 5 utility ones so you could do some swapping in there. In terms of Traits i usually swap between speedy kits and scope all the time, please enlighten me in the ways of the engineer :)

my engineer has soloed every dungeon possible with only one person as well as the possible one person fractals. work on it and you will love it, play it like a warrior and you will hate it. simple as that.

Tell me everything you're willing to reveal!
Coming from the SC2 community I've been a tad bit disapointed on the amount of information I could find on PVE engineer so far (and the tons of complaining) so any straight up information/links/ingame advice is very much welcome.
As a long long time GW1 player I've developed a taste for something I refer to as "challenge farming" in which I attempted to solo content for profit that was easily crushed by the popular farms just for the fun and challenge of it. I was unaware dungeons had been soloed in this game.

#10 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Just curious, but what is the SC2 community?

#11 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostPhineas_Poe, on 11 April 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Just curious, but what is the SC2 community?

Starcraft 2 community, I was trying to say that information for PVE in GW2 is more scarce than I expected if you try to substract actual useful information from the official forums and the like. Though that's to be expected from PVE MMO versus an RTS with a big proscene, I guess I got used to it so much that I expected similar obsession here :P

#12 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1188 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Ha! That's what I figured but I wanted to be sure.

I'll be honest: we Engineers could probably do better. You look at other class folders, both on the official forums and Guru, and they're full of exceptionally written/recorded guides. I'd argue those classes are far easier to do it with, but still. I've been intending to make a few video guides to the FT/EG build specifically but laziness is a powerful thing.

#13 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostPhineas_Poe, on 11 April 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

I'll be honest: we Engineers could probably do better. You look at other class folders, both on the official forums and Guru, and they're full of exceptionally written/recorded guides. I'd argue those classes are far easier to do it with, but still. I've been intending to make a few video guides to the FT/EG build specifically but laziness is a powerful thing.

I'm fairly certain between a few of us we could write up some pretty extensive guides.  I personally just don't have the time to put to it right now.

#14 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

View Postmatsif, on 12 April 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

I'm fairly certain between a few of us we could write up some pretty extensive guides.  I personally just don't have the time to put to it right now.

I'm certainly willing to chip in, be it making my own guide for a build I made or providing feedback to another. Godda kick the engineer community into gear man!

I've also been wanting to join an all engineer guild but have only run into an NA guild and I'm EU, so if you know anything or want to start one hit me up.

#15 Coren

Coren

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DRK]

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

The engineer player community is very dispersed on how useful it is, but most who hate just don't like the playstyle or just can't play them.

Engineers offer a lot more flexibility than any other profession, but also demand more work, and the way to get similar results from an easier class, like a warrior, demands more thinking and willing to play strangely, but more fun.

One role.the engineer does better than anyone else IMO, is conditions spammer (my engineer is a conditions damager and spreader, which works wonders in PvP and WvW). Engineers have every condition except fear, but stack bleeds and vulnerability better than anyone.

#16 Phadde

Phadde

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[SWE]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

This all sounds very positive! What build is it that allows you to change around your Major Traits that successfully? Also, the playstyle of the Nade-Kit seems very dull - Sure, there's a lot of conditions, but still... It seems like a semi-mindless spamming.

It looks like you can go full out zerker in one fight and cleric support in the next one and that sound really fun. Will it still be as deep and complex combat? The high amount of combos that seems to be present should provide a lot of that complexity to the combat - Which means fun!

If I manage to use this class to the fullest, will I be one of the most useful members in the group? Steeper learning curve is great once you've gotten to the top, but only if I'm rewarded with great performance.

honestly, have you played engineer? everything you say here is completely based in either having never played the class or never have actually tried to build the class.

engineer depends completely on changing to fight your specific targets knowing their weaknesses and altering your utility skills to overcome them. i change my utility skills in almost every situation on a minute by minute basis. you can't successfully play engineer as you would play a banner warrior, you HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR TRAITS. not how fair into each tree, but alter the numbers in them. for example if you are playing WvW in a Zerg situation you are going to trait for some kind of trait AoE damage and recharge, however using that same distance into the trees you can retrait for AoE condition removal, physical damage, or CC.

its all about know which skills to use when and where to use them. if you truely learn to play engineer you will dominate in PvE, and be one of the most valued members in many dungeons especially since you have a greater rez power (without any form of HP) than a guardian fully built for HP. likewise in WvW you will be impossible to gank and near impossible to kill in open field or siege until the last few deaths.

View Postmatsif, on 11 April 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

I bring up rampager grenade engy when you are in a party where no one else is applying a lot of bleeds.  potential dps is right up there with the heavy hitters (guardian and warrior), from 1500 range and all aoe.  Has a bit of a ramp-up time because of the bleed stacking, but you also put out 20+ vuln stacks that increase the dps of your warriors by 20%, the best CC in the game with freeze, blind on the trash mobs, and poison on self-healing mobs/bosses with 100% uptime easily.

Engy is solidly the best long range dps in the game right now if you bother to play it.  Bombs can also put out some big numbers in close.

Really your whole post is pretty awful and shows that you have never been able to full grasp engineer.  

Gadgets - rocket boots is a wonderful "oh shi-" button if you need to get out of an area and don't mind the knockdown time.  2 of them provide blast finishers (mine and rocket boots) which is probably the best finisher in the game given a fire or water field (might stacks/heal).  the other 2 are gimmicky but have their uses.

Turrets - still kinda bad but some of the toolbelt skills are nice.  Net turret is awesome CC and provides a net on the toolbelt, the toolbelt rocket has pretty good spike damage to end off a combo.  Not the best options engy has, but they aren't entirely horrible in non-dungeon PvE either.  And no one is saying you have to take tool kit to use turrets either.

Elites - you have a point, but supply drop can work wonders when timed right. Mortar is fun in WvW.  Elixir X I don't like either due to it's randomness, but can still have its uses if you don't want supply drop for whatever reason.

Build Viability - grenades are top tier, sure, but I've been entirely viable in dungeons with a might stacking flamethrower/e-gun build, bomb heals, static discharge rifle, and other things.  If anything, engy has the most viable builds in the game from my experience.  You can use every weapon and kit they offer and make something effective at what it needs to do.  I can't say the same for mesmer's scepter or torch, warrior mace main hand or either ranged option, any bow on ranger, etc.

#17 Kurosov

Kurosov

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 593 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TAC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

It can be hard to write a guide for engineer as the best builds tend to swap out traits and skills constantly. More than any other class an engineer can and should swap out traits and utilities.

If you're running elixir traits you can swap them all out for other traits and then swap out the elixirs for other things. Gadgets in pve are situationaly good but with all the cc reistance they are no where near the pvp level.

Elixir R is the best elixir by far, and the others are mostly great too.

Net turret is the best turret in the game for pve, flame turret can be useful in an all melee team. If you have absolutely no need for another skill in utility3 (which is quite a stretch) and are using static discharge then rifle turret works if only for the fast recharge toolbelt skill.

The most common setup will be kit of choice, elixir r and then free slot that can be changed every 5 mins. If your kit of choice is flamethrower or elixir gun then the free slot is usually the other one however as the synergy between the two is hard to pass up. elixir s is handy if you're running bombs for the combo field and as help if you cant take the heat in melee.

#18 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

here's my basic build that i start with everyday then alter it as need be.

http://www.gw2build....neer-10348.html

YOU WILL CHANGE YOUR TRAITS AN OBSCENE AMOUNT.

ill provide more info when i have a chance

#19 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostThirstyturtle, on 12 April 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

So you use your WvW build in all PVE as well?

#20 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

i start with that base yes, then alter traits and utilities depending on what im doing

obviously drop mortar for supply crate

#21 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostThirstyturtle, on 12 April 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

i start with that base yes, then alter traits and utilities depending on what im doing

obviously drop mortar for supply crate

You're not willing to share anything on soloing dungeons/fractals you mentioned earlier?

#22 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

No I definitely will, just really busy right now/last couple days, ill post a more detailed explanation once I get an hour or so free

#23 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostThirstyturtle, on 12 April 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

No I definitely will, just really busy right now/last couple days, ill post a more detailed explanation once I get an hour or so free

No problem it just got me really excited, but I would understand if you weren't willing to share as well.

#24 coglin

coglin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

View PostThirstyturtle, on 12 April 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

Why do you call this a "support" build? How does this build offer group support?

#25 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

View Postcoglin, on 13 April 2013 - 12:18 AM, said:

Why do you call this a "support" build? How does this build offer group support?

note, i do not call it a support build, i call it a vulnerability support build. the idea is that you stack vulnerability (while dealing a moderate amount of damage) on the baddies which then supports the zerg that pushes out with might stacked. however this is not the way to play in dungeons.

#26 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

in MOST dungeons you will drop the elixer S for elixer R, C, U or B depending on which dungeon it is. (AC requires lots of dodges so R it also requires condition removal  early on so use C till after spider, CoF requires speed kills so use U, elixer B can be used whenever you dont require U or R) the way i play dungeons i rely heavily on Condition damage and duration. with a mix of survivability. using the Medkit+supply crate should keep you alive indefinitely without any issues assuming you use your dodges well. your main source of damage will come from a 2,3,4,5 rainbow of bomb kit skills followed immediately by your grenade kit F# skill then a rainbow of grenade kit skills 2,3,4,5 concluding with a 2,3,4 rainbow of dual pistols. any target still alive after this is a boss, which means you need to be more tactiful as it will start hurting you pretty quickly. watch for signs of attack, use your dodges remember you should never be at more than 90% dodge. use the empowering adrenaline trait in explosives slot 1, you can switch to protective shield in firearms 1 but i usually dont, only switch for boss/aoe fights. blood injection can be swapped for self-regulating defenses just remember you will get wont have that added protection.

use CD, T, V gear (condition damage toughness vitality), runes dont matter much run what works for you. i run MF runes just because im so used to the build. to get used to it use either CD runes or toughness/HP runes. sigil of energy or sigil of stamina, i recommend energy. energy is a must in my opinion (superior) which will give you 50% endurance every kit switch (9 second cool down or something) then i use either a sigil of restoration (if im using energy) or a sigil of blood (if using stamina).

with that weapon and armor set-up and well timed dodges and trait flips you shouldnt have much, if any issues soloing most dungeons.

#27 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostPhineas_Poe, on 11 April 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I really have to disagree with this. Specializing around the Bomb Kit or Grenade Kit, your DPS will be more than satisfactory if not better than most. The only class that will consistently outdamage an Engineer regardless of what you do is the Axe/Mace + GS Warrior. Which also outdamages everybody else, and is why you see CoF p1 runs focusing on 4 Warriors with 1 Mesmer.

When specialized for it, we offer top-tier AoE DPS. To the point where Retaliation can kill us alone in WvW.

I actually think Engineer and Warrior DPS are relatively equal in terms of solo damage ouput.  It's primarily because Engineers are able to stack so much vulnerability and might by themselves, and they get the advantage of having burning and poison counting towards overall damage while running solo.  This means their potential max DPS is a bit lower than a guardian's or warrior's, though, because they have a relatively low base damage to begin with.

The ability to stack might and vulnerability for the whole group still makes them pretty much essential for group play, though.

#28 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

View PostGuanglaiKangyi, on 15 April 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

I actually think Engineer and Warrior DPS are relatively equal in terms of solo damage ouput.  It's primarily because Engineers are able to stack so much vulnerability and might by themselves, and they get the advantage of having burning and poison counting towards overall damage while running solo.  This means their potential max DPS is a bit lower than a guardian's or warrior's, though, because they have a relatively low base damage to begin with.

The ability to stack might and vulnerability for the whole group still makes them pretty much essential for group play, though.

Yea having 1 less zerker for a grenadier that manages 25 stacks of invulnerability and some might alone seems like a great trade as a grenadier still does very good damage as well.

View PostThirstyturtle, on 15 April 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

in MOST dungeons you will drop the elixer S for elixer R, C, U or B depending on which dungeon it is. (AC requires lots of dodges so R it also requires condition removal  early on so use C till after spider, CoF requires speed kills so use U, elixer B can be used whenever you dont require U or R) the way i play dungeons i rely heavily on Condition damage and duration. with a mix of survivability. using the Medkit+supply crate should keep you alive indefinitely without any issues assuming you use your dodges well. your main source of damage will come from a 2,3,4,5 rainbow of bomb kit skills followed immediately by your grenade kit F# skill then a rainbow of grenade kit skills 2,3,4,5 concluding with a 2,3,4 rainbow of dual pistols. any target still alive after this is a boss, which means you need to be more tactiful as it will start hurting you pretty quickly. watch for signs of attack, use your dodges remember you should never be at more than 90% dodge. use the empowering adrenaline trait in explosives slot 1, you can switch to protective shield in firearms 1 but i usually dont, only switch for boss/aoe fights. blood injection can be swapped for self-regulating defenses just remember you will get wont have that added protection.

use CD, T, V gear (condition damage toughness vitality), runes dont matter much run what works for you. i run MF runes just because im so used to the build. to get used to it use either CD runes or toughness/HP runes. sigil of energy or sigil of stamina, i recommend energy. energy is a must in my opinion (superior) which will give you 50% endurance every kit switch (9 second cool down or something) then i use either a sigil of restoration (if im using energy) or a sigil of blood (if using stamina).

with that weapon and armor set-up and well timed dodges and trait flips you shouldnt have much, if any issues soloing most dungeons.

I'm quite excited to give it a shot, I'll have to get some CDTV gear though.
Thanks for posting this :)

EDIT: can't find any CDTV gear at all

Edited by RuBarBz, 16 April 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#29 Thirstyturtle

Thirstyturtle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

apologies, the exact armor CDTV doesnt exist, you have to run a combo of Carrion - Power, Condition Damage, Vitality, Cleric's - Power, Healing, Toughness

sorry i always for get to mention that.

#30 RuBarBz

RuBarBz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostThirstyturtle, on 16 April 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

apologies, the exact armor CDTV doesnt exist, you have to run a combo of Carrion - Power, Condition Damage, Vitality, Cleric's - Power, Healing, Toughness

sorry i always for get to mention that.

Really? Clerics? Does it pay of with that med pack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users