Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Why am I a sylvari?!


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Tony

Tony

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

As sad as it sounds, I made a level 80 sylvari and realized all the armor doesn't look all that fantastic while the human cultural armor tier 2 looks fabulous for only 8 gold.

Should I reroll another warrior and become a human? Or, should I make a human thief or something, but what would my sylvari warrior be for?

I really need some advice please and thanks!

#2 Favriel

Favriel

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lite]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostTony, on 13 April 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

As sad as it sounds, I made a level 80 sylvari and realized all the armor doesn't look all that fantastic while the human cultural armor tier 2 looks fabulous for only 8 gold.

Should I reroll another warrior and become a human? Or, should I make a human thief or something, but what would my sylvari warrior be for?

I really need some advice please and thanks!

Get a mixture of t2 and t3 cultural armor for your Sylvari. With the right dye combination, your character will look badass. I do recommend t2 leggings and chestpiece since your Sylvari's glow is also shown on the armor.

#3 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Have you gone to the heart of the mists and looked at the armor in the PVP lockers? you might find something suitable, armor can pretty much completely hide the fact that you are even Sylvari.

#4 ThiaTheMuse

ThiaTheMuse

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 117 posts
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
  • Guild Tag:[Slam]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:53 AM

Yeah, but why even BE Sylvari if you are going to wear armor that covers that up? OP, have you checked out the Twilight Arbor set? It's what I use for my Thief.

#5 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3266 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

The elves have the T3 headpiece which is amazing.
Having said that, keep the warrior alive and run boss chests and CoF with him daily. Even if you don't have much time to waste on the game, a single P1 run can be done easily in some 20 minutes by newcomers, with the better boss-chests adding a few more minutes (you don't need to do all of them (Shatterer and Fire Ele are the ones you should focus on, while completely forgetting that the Wurm, Jormag and Maw exist) and constantly farm CoF), but they should bring in around a gold per day! Plus tokens you can then use for exotic armour for your alts! The rares you get this way, you can either sell, salvage for ecto or keep to equip your alts. Hell, you could even just park your guy at a boss and just do that if you don't feel like you have enough time for CoF.

And then, after you build up a new army of characters, delete the elf.
There's no point in keeping a character, that you don't care for, around. The only exception to that is when the character in question is your only lvl 80. Rewards at 80 at select locations are the only rewards in this game worth getting, so if you confine your guy to those locations, even if he's an elf, him being alive is better than you deleting him.

#6 two maces

two maces

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 625 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CCTV]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

You're kidding, right? Sylvari T3 heavy helm is the coolest looking thing in the game.

#7 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

im finding that the only armor that looks good for the sylvari are sylvari cultural and TA set.  and vice versa for other races.  i see humans in TA set all the time and im like, why didnt you just roll sylvari?

#8 Cube

Cube

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 564 posts
  • Location:A Web of Lies
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

You obviously hate it. Delete the character or let it be, level a human.

#9 Sordus456

Sordus456

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[OAK]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

http://www.gw2armor....splay_looks.php

Have you looked at all the different sets? This site shows how all armor looks. Sylvari is pretty cool i think. But everyone has thier own tastes. My sylvari uses 3 different dungeon sets. Gonna change over to CoE pants once i do the dungeon a few more times.


Attached File  gw010.jpg   125.53K   126 downloads

#10 cobalt

cobalt

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:26 PM

I find this site is better for looking at all the armor.. http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery/

#11 Bonana

Bonana

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:57 PM

I re-rolled my lvl 80 asuran guardian. Which also had 100% map completion, 400 armour, and 400 jewellery.

I wanted a big Norn Guardian instead. It took a few weeks, but I got everything back. Go for it mate~

Edited by Bonana, 14 April 2013 - 01:37 AM.


#12 Sacred Gee

Sacred Gee

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 126 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lgnd]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postcobalt, on 13 April 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

I find this site is better for looking at all the armor.. http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery/

OMFG! Thank you for that link! :D

#13 NuclearDonut

NuclearDonut

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostDasryn, on 13 April 2013 - 07:48 AM, said:

im finding that the only armor that looks good for the sylvari are sylvari cultural and TA set.  and vice versa for other races.  i see humans in TA set all the time and im like, why didnt you just roll sylvari?

So much this. I feel forced to wear Cultural armor on my Sylvari, all the "race-neutral" armor just looks awkward and bent when compared to Humans wearing the same armor.

#14 Bonana

Bonana

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Location:Brooklyn, NY

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:36 AM

derp*

wish there were a way to change your race. But doesn't look like anet will do that anytime soon.

Edited by Bonana, 14 April 2013 - 01:37 AM.


#15 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4913 posts
  • Location:ArenaNet's Pantry
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

start another one. Because you will discover later that they all are unique, and character slots can be bought.

#16 Xephyr

Xephyr

    Fashion Addict

  • Members
  • 428 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[Syn]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

make a human guardian and get the T2 set :P keep your sylvari.


also, male sylvari T2 and female sylvari T3 looks awesome ^^

#17 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostNuclearDonut, on 14 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

So much this. I feel forced to wear Cultural armor on my Sylvari, all the "race-neutral" armor just looks awkward and bent when compared to Humans wearing the same armor.

dont feel too bad though, asura heavy wearerrs are pretty forced and so are charr

go figure, all the non human races. . .

#18 Curunen

Curunen

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostBonana, on 13 April 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

I re-rolled my lvl 80 asuran guardian. Which also had 100% map completion, 400 armour, and 400 jewellery.

I wanted a big Norn Guardian instead. It took a few weeks, but I got everything back. Go for it mate~
Ouch, and I thought it was hard deciding whether to reroll a L47 asura thief to an elementalist...

#19 Xunlai Agent

Xunlai Agent

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

Keep the Sylvari Warrior and roll a Human Guardian, problem solved!

#20 NuclearDonut

NuclearDonut

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostDasryn, on 14 April 2013 - 03:32 AM, said:

dont feel too bad though, asura heavy wearerrs are pretty forced and so are charr

go figure, all the non human races. . .

I managed to make my Charr Warrior and my brother's Asura Warrior look decent without using all cultural, but I cannot find a good look for Sylvari on any armor type (light, medium, heavy) without using 5/6 pieces cultural. I agree though, the race neutral gear looks best on Human and stretched out for the other races.

#21 Dasryn

Dasryn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Location:USA (GMT -5)
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:06 AM

well the problem lies in design.  the devs designed these other races to be completely and utterly unique from anything seen in the fantasy genre.  thing about sylvari is this is the first time an all plant humanoid has been created, so getting the aesthetics right is going to be awkward naturally.

i personally like the TA and cultural armor the best anyway because according to lore, Sylvari *CAN* but not have to, grow their own clothes.  so cultural andTA armor look the most natural imho.  and it fits the lore.

#22 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:38 AM

putting cloth/leather/steel on a tree looks silly and out of place.  With the glow and bark/leaf skin texture, matching it to other materials was extremely difficult to me, and as such I did not make a sylvari because I didn't want to be pidgeonholed into 4 sets of armor (cultural and TA).

I view charr and asura the same way.  Armors outside of cultural and the respective dungeons (CoF and CoE) don't look good on them because it was originally modeled for humans.  And because of norn essentially being just large-scale humans, all the armors generally work on them (although some do look pretty stretched out).

Essentially, it's just an armor problem in that Anet cut time off of production by putting all classes into 3 categories, only making armor for the categories instead of the classes, making all the armor for humans, and then just changing numbers to scale/strech/shrink armors to fit on the non-human races for all non-cultural armors and some of the dungeon armors.  Had they actually spent time on making the armors for each race and class, it probably would have not seemed as bad as it is.  The main reason 7/8 characters are norn is because for me personally I liked how armors overall looked on them the best, and the other is human because I wanted one of their cultural options a lot.  I had planned on making at least 1 character of each race, but I ended up not bothering because of how horrible the armor options were for all but norn and human.

#23 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1119 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[DPS]

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:46 AM

The tier 2 cultural sylvari armor is pretty cool with the right dyes.

#24 The_Kaizz

The_Kaizz

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[YUM]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Why are you a Sylvari? Because a man has no fear of rabbits!

No seriously, I feel the same about my 80 Asura Guardian. It was fun when I started, and I still love it, but when I started working on my legendary, I realized I hated he way it would look. A Scepter, sword, really any 1H weapon or offhand just looks silly and pointless on him. So when I came back a few weeks ago, I made my Human Guardian. Mind you, I kept my Asura, he's 400 WS/AS and is my oldest toon, but aesthetically it just stopped being pleasing.

#25 NuclearDonut

NuclearDonut

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postmatsif, on 15 April 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

putting cloth/leather/steel on a tree looks silly and out of place.  With the glow and bark/leaf skin texture, matching it to other materials was extremely difficult to me, and as such I did not make a sylvari because I didn't want to be pidgeonholed into 4 sets of armor (cultural and TA).

I view charr and asura the same way.  Armors outside of cultural and the respective dungeons (CoF and CoE) don't look good on them because it was originally modeled for humans.  And because of norn essentially being just large-scale humans, all the armors generally work on them (although some do look pretty stretched out).

Essentially, it's just an armor problem in that Anet cut time off of production by putting all classes into 3 categories, only making armor for the categories instead of the classes, making all the armor for humans, and then just changing numbers to scale/strech/shrink armors to fit on the non-human races for all non-cultural armors and some of the dungeon armors.  Had they actually spent time on making the armors for each race and class, it probably would have not seemed as bad as it is.  The main reason 7/8 characters are norn is because for me personally I liked how armors overall looked on them the best, and the other is human because I wanted one of their cultural options a lot.  I had planned on making at least 1 character of each race, but I ended up not bothering because of how horrible the armor options were for all but norn and human.

This pretty much sums the armor issue up.

#26 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Location:Wisconsin, USA
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

I don't see the standard armor as looking that weird on the sylvari.  Maybe I just don't see them as 'tree-hugging druid' as many of the other posters here do...

Here's mine, not wearing any plant armor  (old picture, though):
Posted Image

I actually don't like the look of human T2 heavy armor at all.  =/

Edited by Beta Sprite, 18 April 2013 - 04:11 PM.


#27 NuclearDonut

NuclearDonut

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 684 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostBeta Sprite, on 18 April 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

I don't see the standard armor as looking that weird on the sylvari.  Maybe I just don't see them as 'tree-hugging druid' as many of the other posters here do...

Here's mine, not wearing any plant armor  (old picture, though):
Posted Image

I actually don't like the look of human T2 heavy armor at all.  =/

It's not nearly as bad on females but I don't play females. My complaints are exclusively with males.

#28 Haggus

Haggus

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostNuclearDonut, on 18 April 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

It's not nearly as bad on females but I don't play females. My complaints are exclusively with males.
You hit another issue with the armor in this game: the fact that most male armor(or physiques/faces/hair, for that matter) just look bad or off-putting.  All my chars are female not because I like the half-boob T3 armor(really guys, couldn't add a few pixels of coverage?), but because of how crappy male chars look.   Add pauldrons, and fugedaboudit!  They look like cheesy Korean grind warriors.

#29 clankeroo

clankeroo

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image


I don't know about you but I think my sylvari has some pretty cool armor. Wanting to get a couple Honor of the wave pieces.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users