• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 G I R

G I R

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

I was cleaning out my hard drive and I noticed that GW2 had created 4 folders in my appdata\local\temp folder that each contained a copy of the Gw2Stream.dat file that was 10.9 GB in size. :o!!

The folders are completely redundant and I was wondering why the game creates multiple copies of the same file without removing or replacing the existing .dat. I'm just wondering if someone could shed a little light on this issue. I mean after I deleted those temp folders I started GW2 and it seemed to loaded faster than it had in weeks. :P

#2 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

this is serious business, i mean 100gb tied up?  i dont think i have that problem but im not on my home computer.  what is the path to those .dat files?

#3 G I R

G I R

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

The path is C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp. The only thing I can guess is that these folders were duplicated when the game patched or something along those lines. They didn't seem to do a lot of good for squatting on 50 Gigs though.

#4 Sandpit

Sandpit

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I have a 70MB gw2cache folder and a 22MB Gw2.exe file there. So definitely worth checking, especially if you are running this on an SSD. Have confirmed they are safe to delete? (I would be very surprised if they are needed, but then again they shouldn't even be there!)

#5 dannywolt

dannywolt

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ProT]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostG I R, on 13 April 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

I was cleaning out my hard drive and I noticed that GW2 had created 4 folders in my appdata\local\temp folder that each contained a copy of the Gw2Stream.dat file that was 10.9 GB in size. :o!!

The folders are completely redundant and I was wondering why the game creates multiple copies of the same file without removing or replacing the existing .dat. I'm just wondering if someone could shed a little light on this issue. I mean after I deleted those temp folders I started GW2 and it seemed to loaded faster than it had in weeks. :P

Gw2Stream.dat is part of the current patching system and should be automatically removed when the patching process is complete. Have you ever interrupted or restarted the loader while it was patching? That could potentially cause it.

EDIT: After further checking, Gw2Stream.dat may be from an old patching system. I remember it being used during the beta period. I will need to check whether it is still created when the next patch hits.

View PostSandpit, on 13 April 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

I have a 70MB gw2cache folder and a 22MB Gw2.exe file there. So definitely worth checking, especially if you are running this on an SSD. Have confirmed they are safe to delete? (I would be very surprised if they are needed, but then again they shouldn't even be there!)

The gw2cache folder is normal and contains files that are unpacked from the Gw2.dat file while playing. You can delete it if you want but it will be recreated when you next play GW2. Deleting it may speed up/slow down the loading of the game (further tests needed).

If you have Gw2.exe, Gw2.dat, or Gw2.tmp in the Temp folder, they can be safely deleted assuming you didn't install the game to the Temp folder. This was a possibility back at launch, but was fixed with a new GW2 installer a month or two later.

Edited by dannywolt, 14 April 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#6 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3243 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

My guess would be that it's a permissions issue - GW2 can't delete the temp files because it doesn't have permission to. Why that would happen, I don't really know, but it may be tied to installing GW2 in "Program Files" rather than some separate folder.

There should be no problem with deleting any of the temp files.

Edited by Quaker, 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users