Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Frost and Flame Finale - Why 13 Days?


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Kymeric

Kymeric

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1925 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

So far we've had a month for each stage of FaF, and previous content rolled over into the next stage so it could be completed at a very leisurely pace.

One of the things GW2 fans were excited about before launch was the idea that the non-subscription financial model would relieve pressure to keep playing.  The idea was that you don't have a need to "get your money's worth" out of your monthly payment, so you could take a break from the game when RL or fatigue sets in, and then come back and not feel you lost something.

I know a lot of people have complained that FaF seems like little content spread over too much time.  Maybe having a dungeon only available for 13 days will make these people happy.  Personally, I like that I could continue doing non FaF things in game, and do FaF whenever I felt like it.  I'd much rather see small amounts of content added each month rather than it all give over one month and nothing for the next three.

I can think of pros and cons to this kind of limited content:

Pro: It creates some exclusivity.  Only a slice of the GW2's lifetime population will experience this dungeon and have the rewards from doing it.  This isn't a motivator for me, but it seems to be for other players dying to feel special and unique.

Pro: It feels (slightly) less theme parky if content is finished once and for all.  "I defeated the Molten Alliance" and four years later "Oh, I did that just last week" is the reply from someone who just joined.  Again, not too big a motivator for me, as I have pretty strong suspension of disbelief, but I get why people feel more immersed in one-time content.

Con: Somebody spent time creating this content, only to have it disappear after 13 days, presumably forever.  It's not doing anything for those people who come to GW2 and complain that it doesn't have the quantity and variety of content like a mature MMO.  After thirteen days Tyria is no larger or more diverse than it was back in April.

Con: The game starts to feel like a chore for some players.  I've got a really busy couple of weeks, say, but I better squeeze in some time to get in game so I don't miss out.

What other pros and cons are there to this kind of limited content?

Would it have been better for the Molten Alliance to become a permanent part of Tyria?

Or would a longer, but still limited time (say a month like all the other phases) be better for the players?

Or is even 13 days too long, and the finale should have been shortened and made a one time event like the Mad King or Karka finale?

#2 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2222 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Simple.  To create a sense of urgency so people who left will come back now, as opposed to waiting for either 1) the review fall out of the general populace and 2) pushing it off until the game gets meaty enough as a WHOLE to deserve their interest.

Thus you have people logging in and increasing your POTENTIAL GEM CUSTOMER BASE and your profits unless you're a total idiot at running the cash shop will get a bump of some sort.  This is probably their attempts to fight off attrition in a F2P game where people are free to come and go as they please.

Edited by MazingerZ, 01 May 2013 - 01:24 PM.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#3 kendro1200

kendro1200

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 213 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

The 13 day limit kinda pisses me off, because right now it's the last few weeks of school.  The event ends on the weekend before finals, and for the next week I'm having to play catch-up because of professors slacking off and procrastinating earlier in the semester.
I really wish this event had been 3 weeks, or at least a month like all of the others.

#4 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

pretty much what MazingerZ said.  It creates an artificial sense of urgency to finish the instance for your chance at a unique skin(s) and to force you to get FaF done if you want the gloves, and thus spend money in the gem store for stuff that will only be available for a short time.

#5 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3107 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Massively limiting the time frame the dungeon is available forces everyone to do it at the same time, allowing the remaining players to easily find a party for it.

#6 rukia

rukia

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 596 posts
  • Location:Oregon
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

The only logical reasoning I can come up with is that they want people to log back in and play, get hooked even though the new dungeon is the typical constant CC knockdown annoying bullshit we see everywhere else. +1 to the designers they are truly geniuses. I really don't see anything special about this that would take anyone from let's say world of warcraft. Sometimes GW2 pve reminds me of WoW pvp, I'm CC'd 90% of the time and I may as well just /afk if I can't play my character.

#7 Mr_Finesse

Mr_Finesse

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 300 posts
  • Location:Chicago, IL
  • Guild Tag:[WB]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Personally, I think it should be the whole month like SAB was.  There was way more opportunity to farm SAB and not go crazy and from what I experienced playing the FaF Dungeon last night, I won't be going back in that every night to farm specific things.  I'm already wondering what's coming afterwards...

#8 BartenderMan

BartenderMan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GP]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

I believe it's not just a matter of urgency, but also a matter of getting people to actually care about the content.

So far every living story update has been a complete disappointment with horrible rewards and a 'meh' story. The reason it feels like this (I believe) is because the content is far too spread apart to actually leave a good impression on anyone. By moving the event at a faster pace they should be able to catch the interest of those of us who honestly couldn't care less about the living story at the moment.

The current patch was a step in the right direction (kinda) with an interesting dungeon and actual rewards (not the best rewards considering the time spent doing the dungeon, but still better than just karma). I hope they build off this and move forward with more interesting content and better rewards (like the Karka event, but make it less of a lag-fest).

#9 Xunlai Agent

Xunlai Agent

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 540 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

By putting pressure on the playerbase they hope to have more people return and engage in the content. In a sense I cannot blame them and I see the logic given this is supposed to be an ongoing and organic process which is supposed to leave a lasting effect on the world of Tyria.

#10 Millimidget

Millimidget

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostXunlai Agent, on 01 May 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

By putting pressure on the playerbase they hope to have more people return and engage in the content.
At the same time, they run the risk of pressuring players to not return at all.

View PostRitualist, on 01 May 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

allowing the remaining players to easily find a party for it.
Isn't that what gw2lfg.com is for? Why are they so reluctant to provide the functionality gw2lfg.com offers, if facilitating group formation is such a high priority?

#11 ShezuTsukai

ShezuTsukai

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 481 posts
  • Location:Coast of Nebraska
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Soul]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

I think the 13 days is a direct response to the questionnaire they sent out a while back. The length is a compromise between being unique/special like the Karka event was meant to be and humdrum, plenty of time like Halloween.

There is a sense of urgency but most players will have a chance to experience it with a little planning. And at the same time very few will be able to farm the dungeon.

Personally I missed the Karka finally and chance at a precursor simply because it was only on a Sunday. Should never have to compromise RL for a game.

#12 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2222 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostShezuTsukai, on 01 May 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

I think the 13 days is a direct response to the questionnaire they sent out a while back. The length is a compromise between being unique/special like the Karka event was meant to be and humdrum, plenty of time like Halloween.

There is a sense of urgency but most players will have a chance to experience it with a little planning. And at the same time very few will be able to farm the dungeon.

Personally I missed the Karka finally and chance at a precursor simply because it was only on a Sunday. Should never have to compromise RL for a game.

There is nothing to farm. I got a Rare Inscription for one particular stat type, Sentinel, the new type and some greens.  That was it.  The content while lagging in some areas, the fights were leagues more rewarding and engaging than most of their current permanent content.

Edited by MazingerZ, 01 May 2013 - 04:47 PM.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#13 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1094 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[DPS]

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

log on, ran the dungeon with some guildies, logged off

I think it's safe to say, that was the first decent dungeon they've ever developed in the history of GW2.(Every other dungeon in GW2 is complete garbage.) Also, the most intense boss fight moment so far, by a long shot.

#14 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2222 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostI, on 01 May 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

log on, ran the dungeon with some guildies, logged off

I think it's safe to say, that was the first decent dungeon they've ever developed in the history of GW2.(Every other dungeon in GW2 is complete garbage.) Also, the most intense boss fight moment so far, by a long shot.

Intense, but survivable.  Everyone went down a few times, but we managed to get back up.  The only WTF moment was when the stupid Guardian I was running with would engage everything in the Effigy room.

Half the encounters in the garbage dungeons don't give people the breath to help rez you and you can't heal yourself fast enough.

Edited by MazingerZ, 01 May 2013 - 05:02 PM.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#15 Zylo

Zylo

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

I would love if FaF was a much longer story that lasted, say, 3 months. It would go something along the lines of there being a story quest you had to finish once every week or two, and if you missed it, then you can't finish the story until the next FaF. Then after that 3 months, maybe with a month or two break, the story started from the beginning. That way you could see the thing through from beginning to end, but in no point in your GW2 career could you just say "I feel like ironing out FaF this weekend, let's get me a gauntlet."

#16 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2222 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostZylo, on 01 May 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

I would love if FaF was a much longer story that lasted, say, 3 months. It would go something along the lines of there being a story quest you had to finish once every week or two, and if you missed it, then you can't finish the story until the next FaF. Then after that 3 months, maybe with a month or two break, the story started from the beginning. That way you could see the thing through from beginning to end, but in no point in your GW2 career could you just say "I feel like ironing out FaF this weekend, let's get me a gauntlet."

You mean like the lore that WoW's pumping out?  And they basically went full theme park with pandas and pokemon.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#17 Snapalope

Snapalope

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ornstein and Smough was pretty original.

#18 Zylo

Zylo

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 01 May 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

You mean like the lore that WoW's pumping out?  And they basically went full theme park with pandas and pokemon.

I'm not sure, I've never known anything about WoW other than what I've seen on their TV commercials, which is to say, I know nothing about WoW.

#19 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3925 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Limited time dungeon is only one of a long series of limited time content they've had. They do it to entice people to log on NOW before stuff vanishes, which can bring back lapsed players. A portion of those people will be enticed by the new shines in the gem store, particularly since many of these are buy-now-or-never. Clearly it's working for them or they would have changed tracks after over half a year of this.

They've tried the quality long-term content approach as well (Fractals), but clearly the shallow one-shots are making more money for them than adding a few fractals would. In a world without subs, fairweather player's wallets are just as desirable as anyone else's.

Edited by FoxBat, 01 May 2013 - 11:12 PM.


#20 Dasviidonja

Dasviidonja

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostKymeric, on 01 May 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

So far we've had a month for each stage of FaF, and previous content rolled over into the next stage so it could be completed at a very leisurely pace.

One of the things GW2 fans were excited about before launch was the idea that the non-subscription financial model would relieve pressure to keep playing.  The idea was that you don't have a need to "get your money's worth" out of your monthly payment, so you could take a break from the game when RL or fatigue sets in, and then come back and not feel you lost something.

I know a lot of people have complained that FaF seems like little content spread over too much time.  Maybe having a dungeon only available for 13 days will make these people happy.  Personally, I like that I could continue doing non FaF things in game, and do FaF whenever I felt like it.  I'd much rather see small amounts of content added each month rather than it all give over one month and nothing for the next three.

I can think of pros and cons to this kind of limited content:

Pro: It creates some exclusivity.  Only a slice of the GW2's lifetime population will experience this dungeon and have the rewards from doing it.  This isn't a motivator for me, but it seems to be for other players dying to feel special and unique.

Pro: It feels (slightly) less theme parky if content is finished once and for all.  "I defeated the Molten Alliance" and four years later "Oh, I did that just last week" is the reply from someone who just joined.  Again, not too big a motivator for me, as I have pretty strong suspension of disbelief, but I get why people feel more immersed in one-time content.

Con: Somebody spent time creating this content, only to have it disappear after 13 days, presumably forever.  It's not doing anything for those people who come to GW2 and complain that it doesn't have the quantity and variety of content like a mature MMO.  After thirteen days Tyria is no larger or more diverse than it was back in April.

Con: The game starts to feel like a chore for some players.  I've got a really busy couple of weeks, say, but I better squeeze in some time to get in game so I don't miss out.

What other pros and cons are there to this kind of limited content?

Would it have been better for the Molten Alliance to become a permanent part of Tyria?

Or would a longer, but still limited time (say a month like all the other phases) be better for the players?

Or is even 13 days too long, and the finale should have been shortened and made a one time event like the Mad King or Karka finale?

All the holiday events are the same way and nobody complains about those they'll come around again just like this. Play what you got, eat what's on yer plate, love the one you're with and enjoy the ride quit complaining about the food. :{P

#21 Soki

Soki

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 827 posts
  • Location:My own little world \~w~/
  • Guild Tag:[Bern]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:06 AM

View PostMazingerZ, on 01 May 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

You mean like the lore that WoW's pumping out?  And they basically went full theme park with pandas and pokemon.
With PvE content far superior to GW2's in every way; and PvP that's actually more dynamic than GW2's.

If you're going to even touch that god-forsaken subject (comparing the two games), you should at least avoid going full-strawman with WoW.

Edited by Soki, 02 May 2013 - 01:07 AM.


#22 The Shadow

The Shadow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 811 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

I was taking a break from GW2. Didn't log in for roughly 2 months.

I read about the event, logged in, tried it out. Didn't particularly enjoy it that much (bit too easy and couldn't get immersed)

However, it reminded me of what I love about GW2, the community, the guilds, the TS conversations, the social/ competitive PvP sides. All that cause of a meh-PvE-event being posted about on Guru.

If and when I take my next break. I'll keep my eyes open for another similar meh-PvE-event in the hopes that it will re-ignite the things that I like about GW2. Because of that, I kinda like the system and how it pans out.

#23 zwei2stein

zwei2stein

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1002 posts
  • Location:Yurop
  • Guild Tag:[RA]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:22 AM

View PostFoxBat, on 01 May 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Limited time dungeon is only one of a long series of limited time content they've had. They do it to entice people to log on NOW before stuff vanishes, which can bring back lapsed players. A portion of those people will be enticed by the new shines in the gem store, particularly since many of these are buy-now-or-never. Clearly it's working for them or they would have changed tracks after over half a year of this.

I find this reasoning flawed.

Lets say I quit game after fist month. When I log in at 13th, what content will there be for me that is new?

Fractals, one explorable that has no "point" to it and some jumping puzzles.

There are new reward mechanics, but they dont change base game under them they rely on.

Game would feel unenvolved. It would not feel like MMO that was in existence for nearly one year - but rather as MMO where developers added some stuff and called it a day for rest of year.

I, for example, love new events relating to molten aliance in open world - they actually add enough event "meat" to make explorables feel right. When they are gone, exploables would feel a lot less intense... emptied a bit.

They seem to fond of throwing away stuff.

#24 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 319 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[SoF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostSoki, on 02 May 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

With PvE content far superior to GW2's in every way; and PvP that's actually more dynamic than GW2's.

I'll grant you that raids are better in that they have a deeper strategic element to them in order to succeed. PvP is better because it has had years to develop, however go on to the WoW PvP forums and you'll see relatively the same amount of QQing as you do here.

The rest of the PvE content? Combat is a static affair where you stand still and spam buttons until mobs die (there is an optimal rotation but you hardly need it outside of raids). "Heroic" dungeons are roflstompable in greens. Quests are over the top theme-parkish where for half of them you have to control something so you're not actually playing your character (and it usually has bad animations like your character flying off in ridiculous arcs) and the other half are boring fetch quests or kill 10 rats. At no point do you actually have to put in any effort or skill to get anything done. Dailies are just more of the same quests but now you get to repeat them, yay. Lore has gotten convoluted to the point of it just being an excuse to throw more excessive content at the player.

So PvE content far superior in every way? No, not really.

Edited by Swoopeh, 02 May 2013 - 07:29 AM.


#25 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostFoxBat, on 01 May 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Limited time dungeon is only one of a long series of limited time content they've had. They do it to entice people to log on NOW before stuff vanishes, which can bring back lapsed players. A portion of those people will be enticed by the new shines in the gem store, particularly since many of these are buy-now-or-never. Clearly it's working for them or they would have changed tracks after over half a year of this.

They've tried the quality long-term content approach as well (Fractals), but clearly the shallow one-shots are making more money for them than adding a few fractals would. In a world without subs, fairweather player's wallets are just as desirable as anyone else's.

It's the future. Limited this and that while monetize everything. Throw in some casino gambling every now and again. People are stupid enough to fall for it and that is why games keep doing it.

Have you seen the posts on official forums?

"Can I have a refund please I spent 400 dollars on black lion keys and didn't get the skin I wanted"...

These people are the one's that have ruined the MMO genre and why we have a huge increase in monetizing, facebook style easy mode casual game, increasing grind and restrictions like DR, more games allowing you to buy in game currency, aiming towards players who never used to play games and aiming for the ultra casual crowd, limiting content in small patches to entice players with limited time offers, quick short term burst profits instead of looking ahead at long term, unfinished content never completed...

I could list things for hours and the effects it has had but I will still be told im talking rubbish and the silly people ( I have other names for them ) will still throw money at Anet for doing the bare minimum while putting up artificial walls here there and everywhere with a main focus on the gem store every month.

This is the future of gaming. Actually scratch that it's the "present" of gaming as it's happening in ton's of games right now. Come back in a few years and tell me it isn't so.

Edited by Eon Lilu, 02 May 2013 - 11:47 AM.


#26 Dasviidonja

Dasviidonja

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

The problem with GW2 to begin with is it had no real purpose other than leveling to 80. Just like in GW1 once you had max gear everything else really just turned into a grind or just something to waste time on. Really nowadays all MMO's have turned into this. I remember my first MMO was Everquest and to this day I haven't seen another MMO other than Star Wars Galaxies that gave me that "can't wait to get home to play it" feeling. I swear I musta spent every waking hour playing Everquest (my wife too) and when Star Wars Galaxies came along before the NGE that game sucked me right in as well.

Everquest had a real story and lore that drew you in from one side of the world to the other. I spent hours just reading things. The different Factions they had that you had to become friendly with to get new quests or enemies to fulfill quests was just great. I drank a lot of bottles of milk getting one faction up....GOT MILK faction I think it was or something like that. lol

Games today don't have any real lore or anything worth reading. Just jump in level to max in a week and then bitch about it the rest of your days. lol Hack n slash at the most, hack here, hack there, oh and gather these things collect me 10 x and craft x items and I'll give you a pretty prize. lol that's not adventure or real questing.

I want some REAL quests like the Prayer Shawl Quest in EQ. that thing took a lifetime to complete and sent you all over the world to get the resources and do good deeds etc to get. Things like EPIC weapon for each CLASS and that too also took you all over the world to get everything you needed and things you needed to do. These Legendary weapons in GW2 are a joke compared to Everquests quests for epics and epic equipment.

But, this is what happens when you take away "vertical progression", games get stale and boring. because you end up doing the same things everyday with no improvements to your character or stats. Just plink plink plink here's your prize and rince and repeat the next day. Boooorrrrring!

#27 Soki

Soki

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 827 posts
  • Location:My own little world \~w~/
  • Guild Tag:[Bern]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostSwoopeh, on 02 May 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

I'll grant you that raids are better in that they have a deeper strategic element to them in order to succeed. PvP is better because it has had years to develop, however go on to the WoW PvP forums and you'll see relatively the same amount of QQing as you do here.

The rest of the PvE content? Combat is a static affair where you stand still and spam buttons until mobs die (there is an optimal rotation but you hardly need it outside of raids). "Heroic" dungeons are roflstompable in greens. Quests are over the top theme-parkish where for half of them you have to control something so you're not actually playing your character (and it usually has bad animations like your character flying off in ridiculous arcs) and the other half are boring fetch quests or kill 10 rats. At no point do you actually have to put in any effort or skill to get anything done. Dailies are just more of the same quests but now you get to repeat them, yay. Lore has gotten convoluted to the point of it just being an excuse to throw more excessive content at the player.

So PvE content far superior in every way? No, not really.
WoW's questing is bland - but so are GW2's "dynamic" events.

At least with WoW's questing you're told the zone's story in a coherrant fashion - rather than in a slapdash random way.
I don't know how you can say "boring fetch-quests" about WoW; with how GW2's DEs are effectively the exact same thing - with even less variety than WoW's quests.
If you're going to try comparing the Personal Story with WoW's quest system, just don't bother. GW2's story is over-the-top hammy and overdone, the characters are simply unlikeable, and the entire affair is just a poorly-written jumble of cringe-inducing line delivery and execution.
The gameplay in the Personal Story is comparable to WoW's questing in every way - but way more bug-prone and less polished.

WoW's solo-pve and GW2's solo-pve aare both equally easy. If you find solo pve in GW2 dynamic and engaging, you're just plain wrong. It's the same static affair of WoW's. I'd say it's less engaging because there's far less skill variety.
Some people would say it's subjective - but when you're making the comparison between WoW's and GW2's solo-PvE, they're just too similar to say either is better than the other - and if you're still saying GW2's solo-PvE is better than WoW's,I think you're just stuck in a confirmation bias.


And finally--players complaining on forums isn't indicative of a game's quality. It's forums lacking players complaining where you see that a game has issues.
GW2guru and official GW2 forums used to have a -lot- more forum activity than they do now, didn't they?

Edited by Soki, 02 May 2013 - 02:24 PM.


#28 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2222 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostSoki, on 02 May 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

GW2guru and official GW2 forums used to have a -lot- more forum activity than they do now, didn't they?

GW2's official forums are all fluffers.  People who show up to complain are moderated into oblivion and the worse thing you can do is outright ignore the complaining customers.  Here, as I said in another post, when I took a break in January and came back in like... April?  March?  Who knows...  a lot of people who liked my posts during the Karka and Ascended debates had up and left.  I know of a few people who've also decided to leave.

The game is ultimate going to be rife with poor consumers and in general human beings.  Too much time and too little sense and too much money.  The kind of people who we derided 5 years ago for not spending their money wisely or living within their means, but apparently its fine for companies to take advantage of it and turn things into a hellish landscape of attempts to get people to open their wallets at a spur of the moment.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#29 Kymeric

Kymeric

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1925 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostDasviidonja, on 02 May 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

All the holiday events are the same way and nobody complains about those they'll come around again just like this. Play what you got, eat what's on yer plate, love the one you're with and enjoy the ride quit complaining about the food. :{P

I must have missed the three month incremental story lead-up to the holiday events.

This is a forum for discussing the game.  Things we like, things we don't like.  Eat what's on the plate, love the one you're with, and quit complaining about complaints. ;)

Or the lack of vertical progression...

Edited by Kymeric, 02 May 2013 - 06:10 PM.


#30 Wonsavage

Wonsavage

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostEon Lilu, on 02 May 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

It's the future. Limited this and that while monetize everything. Throw in some casino gambling every now and again. People are stupid enough to fall for it and that is why games keep doing it.

Have you seen the posts on official forums?

"Can I have a refund please I spent 400 dollars on black lion keys and didn't get the skin I wanted"...

These people are the one's that have ruined the MMO genre and why we have a huge increase in monetizing, facebook style easy mode casual game, increasing grind and restrictions like DR, more games allowing you to buy in game currency, aiming towards players who never used to play games and aiming for the ultra casual crowd, limiting content in small patches to entice players with limited time offers, quick short term burst profits instead of looking ahead at long term, unfinished content never completed...

I could list things for hours and the effects it has had but I will still be told im talking rubbish and the silly people ( I have other names for them ) will still throw money at Anet for doing the bare minimum while putting up artificial walls here there and everywhere with a main focus on the gem store every month.

This is the future of gaming. Actually scratch that it's the "present" of gaming as it's happening in ton's of games right now. Come back in a few years and tell me it isn't so.

It's really unfortunate that it's the case, but you're right.  GW2 initially started with a traditional cash shop full of convenience items and item skins that you could specifically choose and purchase.  But they quickly found they could make a ton more money dumping new stuff into the RNG gambling chests, or special "limited time only" purchases.  Obviously, they're just doing what makes them the most money. If ♥♥♥♥ing idiots would stop buying the damn things, Anet would probably move away from the gem gambling and add more reasonable options in the gem store.  And if the gem store itself wasn't making them enough money, maybe they'd actually look into real meaningful expansions.  As of now though, I don't see any reason why Anet would stop doing this monthly content (with limited time gem store products) since it's apparently working for them. As with any business, the way you sway them is with your wallet.  No amount of bitching on the forums is going to make them change something that's proven to make them money.  If you don't like it, don't buy it. Don't keep dumping your money into it hoping it'll be different (and then bitching about it).  It won't be different until it stops making them money.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users