• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ppaladin123

ppaladin123

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

I have a level 80 mesmer I use mainly for PVE open world and dungeons and I currently run the standard 20/20/0/0/30 shatter build. I'm using a greatsword and staff and am loving the damage. Still, I have a couple of problems with the build:

1. My condition removal is pretty poor. I use mantra of resolve but often forget to charge it when zoning and in condition heavy fights it is insufficient and anyway I have to drop dps while recharging it. With this trait set up null field and arcane thievery have very long cool downs (and arcane thievery needs a target and has a spotty track record even when I have an enemy targetted so it often leaves me to bleed to death). I don't have access to mender's purity or the condition clense on shatter. Illusionary disenchanter spawns on top of the targetted enemy, never seems to actually send a clense my way, and gets shattered along with my clones fairly quickly anyway so it is pretty much useless. I've taken to using Superior Sigil of Purity on both weapons to mitigate this problem.

(I know I can eat lemongrass soup to help with conditions but I really don't want to give up the Orian Stew and its 40% endurance recharge bonus; that is darn useful given how heavily shatter builds rely on deceptive evasion.)

2. I want to play the mesmer as a purely ranged class since I am playing my guardian as mainly melee and my ranger as a ranged/melee mix. Unfortunately the greatsword looks a bit silly as a caster weapon, doesn't produce many visually appealing effects, and is not particularly interesting as a weapon beyond the berserker (which is still bugged). I love the staff though!

So I have a thought that is probably crazy:

I'll keep my trait distribution and use the staff as a main weapon. I'll substitute in the scepter and torch as a secondary weapon set and switch out Greatsword Training for Cleansing Conflagration.

I'm thinking that the torch would significantly bolster my condition removal, that the prestige is a nice escape mechanism (and looks cool), and that the illusionary mage sucks but it doesn't matter because I am just going to shatter it at the first opportunity anyway. The scepter is the other ranged weapon (our only ranged mainhand weapon sadly) and has decent clone generation even if the confusion beam is fairly worthless.

Has anyone experimented with alternate weapon sets for this kind of shatter build? Any advice on condition clensing? I may have to start thinking about a phantasm build otherwise...

#2 ppaladin123

ppaladin123

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

Update: the scepter is really bad! I may have to think up another strategy...

#3 thewindwaker

thewindwaker

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

Update: the scepter is really bad! I may have to think up another strategy...

the problem, as with all range weapons the mesmer possess is that they do (compared to the mesmer's one-hand sword, which is incredibly strong) a LOT less dps.
p.s.: scepter really does suck, a lot.

staff is, really, really, incredibly bad. the support aspect is just 'okay' and the damage is just terrible!

with blurred frenzy and 100% vigor uptime it would be such a waste to choose range over melee. not even mentioning the boon striping the sword provides. and the focus offhand is something that just every mesmer should use, due to the absorbtion (or when traited accordinly reflection) of projectiles by the warden (focus 5) and temporal curtain (focus 4).

the dmg as a mesmer, even full zerk, which everyone should go for, is mediocre, even when played perfectly as full melee. when choosing range over melee the dmg drops even more.
the main thing about the mesmer is their ability to reflect stuff. which u won't be able to do with GS or staff.

there are rarly conditions which will kill u in a matter of seconds, so I use null field (mainly for boon striping and rarly as condition removal) for that.

if u're interested in a melee mesmer build that provides a lot of reflect have a look at the build I currently run in fractals (48):
http://en.gw2skills....ER1GxFRrOIgyB-e

Edited by thewindwaker, 09 June 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#4 ppaladin123

ppaladin123

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

So how does this play? It looks like you keep your phantasms/clones up based on your traits. I have tried melee as a mesmer. It is fine in open world play but during big events (dragons) or dungeons I tend to die very quickly since it is impossible to dodge or pop a defensive ability at the right time all the time given the enormous amount of visual clutter/particle effects/etc. and mesmers really can't take a hit like my guardian can. Also, my clones/phantasms are destroyed fairly quickly in melee so it seemed like melee could only work with a shatter build where you don't expect them to survive for long anyway.

#5 thewindwaker

thewindwaker

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

it plays very well :P I'm doing mainly fractals, but haven't had any problems in dungeons yet either.
u do have have to learn 'more' boss attacks and animations opposed to being ranged, no argument there. but it is that much more rewarding to dodge at exactly the right moment. the 'problem' with a pure shatter build is that u loose warden's feedback which takes away 2/3 of your ability to reflect. Of corse, phantasms die quite frequenly when fighting bosses, but after having done their initial burst their purpose is usually fulfilled and I shatter them - but only when I know or see there's a boss attack coming up that will kill them anyway. u can change the -20% glamour skills to vigorous revelation (give allies vigor when u shatter) which can be very good and 6 seconds longer feedback CD is negligible.

sometimes u have to 'save' your blurred frenzy for a few seconds instead of activating it on cooldown. dont worry about it, just by meleeing with auto attack you're exceeding what u would've done with ranged. 2 seconds of distortion is rather long, so until u're used to certain boss attack, just safe blurred frenzy for moments when u suspect something might be happening.

lets take for example the first boss in the harpy fractal. by using warden, curtain and feedback u and your grp will be able to melee the shaman the majority of the time instead of ranging him, which takes way longer.

the last boss in cof p1 does one big red AOE thingy which does nothing to u really when wearing zerker gear, but it will kill your phantasms and clones. so every time he's doing it, it's shatter time :P

the particle clutter thingy is a problem every melee has in this game, and thats probably part of the reason why melee is superior, because of the higher risk to take. but once u get the hang of it and u switch back to range u're gonna be bored to death for nothing is happening :D

keep me posted on how u're doing =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users