4 replies to this topic

#1 Xarahn

Xarahn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

Click the link below for a quick version of the build, but please read everything before commenting.
http://gw2skills.net...1YqSioavBRUNA-e

Summary:

This build is designed for people who PuG a lot. If you are in organized groups, I believe you are better off running Strife's Axe/Mace and Greatsword build because it outdamages this one. His build can be found here:
http://www.guildwars...-dungeon-build/

I personally find myself often playing with random people from gw2lfg.com, many of them being meh.

I decided to make this build for other people who PuG a lot in high level fractals mainly. I also made it because I find the Greatsword to be a boring Warrior weapon (although extremely strong in PvE).

The problem with PuGs is very often you won't be able to melee 100% of the time as a Warrior because your teammates will not provide the necessary utility for you to stay alive (timed reflections, positioning, buffs, symbol of protection etc...). Because of this, having a ranged weapon will often be needed.

Gear:

Weapons: Axe/Mace is the main weapon set in this build. I like using Longbow as my other weapon because with Fast Hands you can swap into Longbow F1+3 (which will help your PuGs stack might because of the huge fire field) and then almost immediately swap back into Axe/Mace. You can also run Greatsword for easy content as your second weapon but I would recommend traiting 20/25/0/10/15 for both Master traits that boost GS damage.

All weapons are Berserker stats, Axe with Sigil of Force, Mace with Sigil of Accuracy, Longbow can be either Force or Bloodlust. (If you can afford it, get a Longbow with Bloodlust and when your stacks are full swap to another LB with Force for maximum damage increase)

Armor: Full Berserker with Ruby Jewels,
Warriors have the highest base armor and health in the game (matching armor with Guardians and health with Necromancers), therefore running a full zerk Warrior is not so hard, unless you are very bad at dodging. You don't have heavy access to vigor but you should be fine.

You might want to use some Knight's pieces if you're having trouble staying alive, but I highly suggest that you do not use Soldier's gear.

Jewels: Full Berserker, see above.

Traits:

note: ALL TESTS were made in sPvP on a Heavy Golem with a Berserker Amulet and Scholar Runes over 2 Axe AA chains, always at full adrenaline and using rifle 1 to provide the bleeding for Attack of Opportunity (Arms 25) to work (before critizing the numbers please understand that in sPvP you cannot get the stats you can get in PvE and that my Warrior had no buffs at all).:

Main Build:
http://gw2skills.net...1YqSioavBRUNA-e

30 (V, VIII, X)
10 (V)
10 (VI)
20 (V, VI)

Damage: 18 633 over 12 hits, which is an average of 1552,75 damage per hit.
A 20-25-0-10-15 setup gave me an average of 1485 damage per hit.
This setup has lower precision though which can make crits unreliable but it still gave me the most damage during testing.

I didn't think not going 25 in Arms was going to work but since the 20 points Arms trait is almost wasted if you don't use a Greatsword I felt I might try to go for the Axe and Mace boosting traits in Strength.

Skill Bar:

Healing:

Healing Surge is the best choice in most cases. It gives the highest burst healing and doesn't have a cooldown much higher than your other choices. This skill is also good to fill your endurance bar at the beginning of fights to boost your damage if you know you won't need the healing in the next 30 seconds.

Mending is a good swap for condition heavy areas, otherwise stick with Healing Surge.

Utility:

"For Great Justice!" is a must, always take this skill for the might stacks and fury.

Banners: Banner of Strength and Banner of Discipline are 2 good things to have, try only using 1 at a time though and make sure you and other Warriors in your group don't use the same one.

"On My Mark!" can give a decent increase to your group's damage during boss fights if your party is not providing much Vulnerability stacks.

"Shake It Off!" can be used in condition heavy areas, much like Mending.

Endure Pain is a good alternative to Knight's gear, keep it off your bar though or it will become a crutch.

Balanced Stance is a situational skill you will want in annoying CC-plenty places. (e.g Harpy Fractal)

Frenzy is another situational skill for when quick burst is needed (Get a greatsword if you need burst, for example CoF p1's door controller).

Elite:

Signet of Rage: Nothing much to say, the buffs are good and we have Signet Mastery. The banner's buffs are horrible, the cooldown is horrible and I have only found myself saving a group with it a handful of times, if you see your PuG is really terrible and for some reason you don't feel like quitting and finding another one, you - could - use the banner.

Many people seem to underestime the Stability from Rampage, you can use it in Harpy Fractal for example, it is not a very useful skill otherwise, I don't recommend it.

Playstyle:

Because this build is tailored for unorganized groups, you will have to adapt your playstyle and skill rotation to what your group does and can do. What this means is you WILL have to swap to Longbow and back off to range a bit sometimes, even if it costs you DPS, a downed person not only puts his own damage output to 0, but he also puts the damage of the people rezzing him to 0, think about this before going Rambo.

Rotation:

Your skill rotation will be very situational. What this means is you don't want to spam Mace 4 on cooldown if you have a Grenade Engi capping Vulnerability on everything, for example.

- Use Signet of Rage and FGJ on cooldown before and during fights, same with banners if you use them.

- I like to open fights with Healing Surge if I know my group is decent for full adrenaline's damage increase.

- For AoE and trash mobs:
Start with Mace 5 since it has 1200 range, you can then use Axe 3 if you are still not in melee range. From there use Mace 4 for the vulnerability and then spam Axe AA chains, using Axe 2 on cooldown. If your health bar is still doing good, I like swapping into Longbow, using F1+Healing Surge+3 (to maximize 3's damage), then going back into Axe/Mace. Note that this will NOT give you a big damage increase, but the Fire Field you provide will be very useful if your group isn't keeping high Might stacks on everyone, also providing 3 stacks yourself.

- On single targets (most bosses):
Open the same way, Mace 5 into Axe 3 into Mace 4 into Axe AA chains, now it gets very situational. There are 3 ways you can go from here.

1. Keep spamming Axe AA chains, using Mace 4 if your group isn't capping Vuln, Axe 2 is also a way of applying it.

2. Do the Longbow F1+HS+3 trick to up group damage with might. (ONLY do this if all your party members are within range to receive Might stacks, if your whole group is spread around Mossman at 1200 range, do not do this).

3. You can use Axe F1 followed by Healing Surge for a good burst (Again, remember HS will be on CD for 30 seconds after doing this).

These are all best-case scenarios, remember to use reactive thinking and adapt yourself to groups and situations.

Edited by Xarahn, 19 June 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#2 Decollete

Decollete

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

Build looks really nice, thanks for posting. I can't remember the original Strife build before the crit food nerf but I think it's similar but I don't think it's still archived anywhere.

Also I have some questions:
1) Rotation
What is the max DPS rotation for this build, is it Axe 1 repeat, Mace 4 on cooldown?
Do you run eviscerate Axe F1 on cooldown or on Healing Surge cooldown?

2) Sigils
With lower precision from this build, does Sigil of Perception win over Sigil of Bloodlust?

Also, how important is Sigil of Accuracy on Mace compared to having another damage sigil?
(Like in night theme dungeon, if I'm already wearing Sigil of Night, is it better to have Sigil of Force or Sigil of Accuracy)?

Edited by Decollete, 19 June 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#3 Xarahn

Xarahn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Build looks really nice, thanks for posting. I can't remember the original Strife build before the crit food nerf but I think it's similar but I don't think it's still archived anywhere.

Also I have some questions:
1) Rotation
What is the max DPS rotation for this build, is it Axe 1 repeat, Mace 4 on cooldown?
Do you run eviscerate Axe F1 on cooldown or on Healing Surge cooldown?

2) Sigils
With lower precision from this build, does Sigil of Perception win over Sigil of Bloodlust?

Also, how important is Sigil of Accuracy on Mace compared to having another damage sigil?
(Like in night theme dungeon, if I'm already wearing Sigil of Night, is it better to have Sigil of Force or Sigil of Accuracy)?

^ May or may not look bad, first time I quote someone on these forums.

I remember his build was Axe/Axe to use Axe 5 as a burst healing skill.

1) Rotation is a bit tricky because it's very situational but I will edit it into the original post so everyone can see it while reading, thanks for pointing that out.

2) With Fury (which you should always have from Signet of Rage and FGJ), the crit chance is going to be above 80% because of Heightened Focus, even more if you use consumables, so I am not sure if Perception would improve your damage more than Bloodlust, would be interesting to test though, results could be surprising.

If you use Sigil of the Night, I would probably keep Accuracy because I find that a balance of offensive stats is better than stacking one, basicly having any of the 3 Berserker stats low will hurt your DPS a lot. Connecting this to point 2) I would think Night/Accuracy + Bloodlust would be the best combination if you want to use Night.

EDIT: Figures quotes are cake.

Edited by Xarahn, 19 June 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#4 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Here is my general opinion on warriors in pug groups.

As I've stated multiple times and which people should be used to hearing by now, the base DPS on warriors actually isn't that high. A warrior with any number of buffs, i.e. might, fury, vulnerability, banners, frost spirit, etc. will actually hit for less than a guardian, ranger, or thief with the same buffs (Engineers are a bit more iffy due to the condition damage split not helping fury as much). The reason you get good damage numbers regardless is primarily due to the fact that you are able to spam a load of boons, not just on yourself but on your entire party. What this means in practice is that in a pug setting, you will actually contribute more in terms of group support than you will in personal DPS

What I am getting at with this is basically:

1) As a general rule, buffing yourself at the expense of the party is a bad idea. This may come as a surprise to a lot of people, but because of the warrior's relatively low base DPS, your support buffs actually affect other classes more than they affect you.

2) You are basically dropping points in other lines to go 30 into Strength for what are honestly very meh traits. I should also note that since you tested in sPvP, your results are a bit skewed; you get more benefit from Arms' precision in PvE because you have a higher crit damage multipler. I can't remember the math offhand but I believe that going 10/25 will give you more, if not at least equivalent, DPS as 30/10, even if you limit yourself to the axe. The former also gives you more freedom to swap weapons as needed, while the latter basically pigeonholes you into Axe + Mace/Sword/Axe. The offhand restriction is actually a problem because it prevents you from using a Warhorn, which will apply vigor and swiftness for an additional +4% damage from Empowered.

3) Back on the support versus personal DPS point, I am basically of the opinion that you should always take Empower Allies unless it would be an unreasonable tradeoff. The trait looks very meh at first but then you realize that 70 power is worth about 3% marginal damage even when you're in full berserker gear, and since, again, your own base DPS is low, 3% marginal damage will actually be worth more for your allies than for yourself. In your case, you only need 10 more points in Tactics to get Empower Allies, and like I said before the Strength traits you are taking are pretty lackluster, so the tradeoff works pretty well in Tactics' favor.

4) Signet of Rage is pretty meh in a party situation compared to Battle Standard. Battle Standard gives 3 stacks of might and fury to the entire party; Signet of Rage gives you 5 stacks and fury. Unless your party is really derping around with regards to DPS, 15 stacks of might tends to be better than 5. For the same reason, you really don't want to be traiting for signets just to improve your might uptime. Again, support vs. personal DPS.

Personally, I tend to run 10/25/0/20/15 using the axe/GS swap rotation and three banners plus FGJ. I just took a very inexperienced lowbie group (all 30s) through AC story with it and we were melting everything faster than most level 80 groups I see do it. Then again, that works with a might stack engineer or guardian too, but you get my drift.

#5 Xarahn

Xarahn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Here is my general opinion on warriors in pug groups.

As I've stated multiple times and which people should be used to hearing by now, the base DPS on warriors actually isn't that high. A warrior with any number of buffs, i.e. might, fury, vulnerability, banners, frost spirit, etc. will actually hit for less than a guardian, ranger, or thief with the same buffs (Engineers are a bit more iffy due to the condition damage split not helping fury as much). The reason you get good damage numbers regardless is primarily due to the fact that you are able to spam a load of boons, not just on yourself but on your entire party. What this means in practice is that in a pug setting, you will actually contribute more in terms of group support than you will in personal DPS

What I am getting at with this is basically:

1) As a general rule, buffing yourself at the expense of the party is a bad idea. This may come as a surprise to a lot of people, but because of the warrior's relatively low base DPS, your support buffs actually affect other classes more than they affect you.

2) You are basically dropping points in other lines to go 30 into Strength for what are honestly very meh traits. I should also note that since you tested in sPvP, your results are a bit skewed; you get more benefit from Arms' precision in PvE because you have a higher crit damage multipler. I can't remember the math offhand but I believe that going 10/25 will give you more, if not at least equivalent, DPS as 30/10, even if you limit yourself to the axe. The former also gives you more freedom to swap weapons as needed, while the latter basically pigeonholes you into Axe + Mace/Sword/Axe. The offhand restriction is actually a problem because it prevents you from using a Warhorn, which will apply vigor and swiftness for an additional +4% damage from Empowered.

3) Back on the support versus personal DPS point, I am basically of the opinion that you should always take Empower Allies unless it would be an unreasonable tradeoff. The trait looks very meh at first but then you realize that 70 power is worth about 3% marginal damage even when you're in full berserker gear, and since, again, your own base DPS is low, 3% marginal damage will actually be worth more for your allies than for yourself. In your case, you only need 10 more points in Tactics to get Empower Allies, and like I said before the Strength traits you are taking are pretty lackluster, so the tradeoff works pretty well in Tactics' favor.

4) Signet of Rage is pretty meh in a party situation compared to Battle Standard. Battle Standard gives 3 stacks of might and fury to the entire party; Signet of Rage gives you 5 stacks and fury. Unless your party is really derping around with regards to DPS, 15 stacks of might tends to be better than 5. For the same reason, you really don't want to be traiting for signets just to improve your might uptime. Again, support vs. personal DPS.

Personally, I tend to run 10/25/0/20/15 using the axe/GS swap rotation and three banners plus FGJ. I just took a very inexperienced lowbie group (all 30s) through AC story with it and we were melting everything faster than most level 80 groups I see do it. Then again, that works with a might stack engineer or guardian too, but you get my drift.

Thanks for your feedback, I will possibly do a review of the build tomorrow taking your suggestions in consideration, I'll also test the actual outcome in a real group.

EDIT: I can't find Empower Allies' range, do you have any idea what it might be?

RE-EDIT: Gonna wait for the 25th's update. If the leaked notes are true, Empower Allies is definitly a huge must now.

Edited by Xarahn, 22 June 2013 - 01:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users