Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DnT]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:47 AM

Bammer, bammer, bammer

Hammer will essentially allow you to keep protection on everyone in your party, and using Mighty Blow in your Symbol of Protection will give everyone retaliation. This is pretty big if you have Warriors with Empowered in your group because it's a load of free damage. Playing with Lightning Hammer Elementalists calls for lots of Fire Fields, and Guardian can provide those through Consecrations. Very good synergy, and pretty cool DPS. You'll be seeing 12k Mighty Blows all day long with this build. Your Hammer's Symbol of Protection will apply Vulnerability to bosses / mobs providing you have 15 in Zeal. This is a pretty nice bonus, I'm definitely a fan of it.

This build will most likely be fun to you if you like playing with a Hammer, and it's a lot more involved than autoattacking with a Sword. I may still be changing some traits around in the next few days, and I'll update this guide as I go along.

As long as you place your fire fields before your Symbol of Protection is activated, you'll be giving might to your entire group. Keep this in mind. It will take some getting used to for sure, but practice it and master it.

Weapons
Spoiler

Virtue of Justice
Spoiler

Gear
Spoiler

Traits
Spoiler

Utilities
Spoiler

Consumables
Spoiler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGJCT3R154

Edited by BrazilTheHue, 15 August 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#2 master21

master21

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm still looking for some decent hammer build and for hammer zeal always looks better than radiance.
Still some problem/questions.

Why lack of symbol based traits from honor? Lasting longer symbols boost damage quite nice (and protection uptime), boosts vuln stacking too.
Also going 25 radiance (so you really get this 10% damage only, lack of quite good grandmasters) isn't just waste of points?

Standard 0/30/0/30/10 in hammer spec can
1) grandmaster in radiance boosts signets, SoJ and SoB
2) traits from honor boosts symbols. You can also get might on crit or just transfer those 10 points to zeal for 10% vs burn.
3) easy respec to standard 1h sword or scepter build which is more usefull on fotm.

Or maybe pure hammer build
25 zeal
30 honor
10 virtues
5 points whatever.

Which strangly can be changed into normal greasword build, or even scepter build with shouts.

#3 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'm still looking for some decent hammer build and for hammer zeal always looks better than radiance.
Still some problem/questions.

Why lack of symbol based traits from honor? Lasting longer symbols boost damage quite nice (and protection uptime), boosts vuln stacking too.
Also going 25 radiance (so you really get this 10% damage only, lack of quite good grandmasters) isn't just waste of points?

Standard 0/30/0/30/10 in hammer spec can
1) grandmaster in radiance boosts signets, SoJ and SoB
2) traits from honor boosts symbols. You can also get might on crit or just transfer those 10 points to zeal for 10% vs burn.
3) easy respec to standard 1h sword or scepter build which is more usefull on fotm.

Or maybe pure hammer build
25 zeal
30 honor
10 virtues
5 points whatever.

Which strangly can be changed into normal greasword build, or even scepter build with shouts.

I've been thinking about moving 5 points out of Radiance, but I'm not really willing to take any more than that out due to my crit chance going to hell. I'm mad about it being pretty low already. I may even take 5 out of Valor and put it into Radiance just for more Precision. I don't really care too much about the traits in Honor that affect symbols, because you've pretty much got constant protection as it is. I'm still messing around with it, though.

EDIT: With 20/30/10/0/10 I'm able to get to 60% crit chance without any buffs (Using Sigil of Accuracy, and it shows the bonus in your hero tab now. About time). I think I'm going to test this out, because I'm thinking this may be where I end up. I also changes some traits in Radiance (II, VI, IX) and grabbed Signet of Resolve over Shelter, since I'm able to freely take Signet Mastery now and lost out on condition removal. This seems pretty practical, and I like the number 60.

Edited by BrazilTheHue, 26 June 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#4 master21

master21

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

I've been thinking about moving 5 points out of Radiance, but I'm not really willing to take any more than that out due to my crit chance going to hell. I'm mad about it being pretty low already. I may even take 5 out of Valor and put it into Radiance just for more Precision. I don't really care too much about the traits in Honor that affect symbols, because you've pretty much got constant protection as it is. I'm still messing around with it, though.

EDIT: With 20/30/10/0/10 I'm able to get to 60% crit chance without any buffs (Using Sigil of Accuracy, and it shows the bonus in your hero tab now. About time). I think I'm going to test this out, because I'm thinking this may be where I end up. I also changes some traits in Radiance (II, VI, IX) and grabbed Signet of Resolve over Shelter, since I'm able to freely take Signet Mastery now and lost out on condition removal. This seems pretty practical, and I like the number 60.

traits in honor boost damage and vuln stacks too, 1 additional symbol tick every chain end.
minor 25 zeal boost symbol damage for 10%
5% thougness to prec gives you around 2% crit chance. not that much.

#5 TheKnox

TheKnox

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Not putting the 20 points in honor for writ of persistence is about a 25% dps loss. If you want to do damage with the hammer, you need to take this trait.

#6 Nikephoros

Nikephoros

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1156 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Fire fields >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Light fields in the prescience of a LH ele.

#7 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Not putting the 20 points in honor for writ of persistence is about a 25% dps loss. If you want to do damage with the hammer, you need to take this trait.

Not critting is also going to be a pretty big DPS loss.

#8 TheKnox

TheKnox

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

Not critting is also going to be a pretty big DPS loss.

So you're saying that the 3% critical chance and the 10% crit damage from Valor and the 3.2 stacks of vulnerability from the 2nd Zeal major trait (1.6 on bosses) is better than the 25% damage increase from the symbol traits?

You'll do about 13% more damage going 15/25/0/20/10 while also having access to the shout cooldown or massive AoE damage increase from the 10 point honor trait.

#9 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

So you're saying that the 3% critical chance and the 10% crit damage from Valor and the 3.2 stacks of vulnerability from the 2nd Zeal major trait (1.6 on bosses) is better than the 25% damage increase from the symbol traits?

You'll do about 13% more damage going 15/25/0/20/10 while also having access to the shout cooldown or massive AoE damage increase from the 10 point honor trait.

You lose 10% crit damage, 5% crit chance, and you run the risk of having your light fields more easily get in the way of your fire fields. Shout cooldown isn't really a priority, since the priority is on fire fields. If your symbol isn't too big and doesn't stay around for too long, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That being said, I'll try and play with both of these setups tonight when I have groups to test them with.

#10 Rennalt

Rennalt

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

I don't even come for the builds anymore, just the fabulous tags and quality lolz.

#11 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

You lose 10% crit damage, 5% crit chance, and you run the risk of having your light fields more easily get in the way of your fire fields. Shout cooldown isn't really a priority, since the priority is on fire fields. If your symbol isn't too big and doesn't stay around for too long, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

That being said, I'll try and play with both of these setups tonight when I have groups to test them with.

If your goal is to get might stacks with an LH ele, you absolutely should not be running hammer. That's just silly, even without Persistence and Exaltation that hammer symbol is still going to overlap with the fire field.

If you're going to run hammer you should definitely focus on DPS and protection stacking, and that means bigger, longer symbols.

#12 master21

master21

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

So you should use 1h sword or gs really, because from my personal experience it won't work that good.
Without larger symbols you need to stand on boss to be in symbol radius. aoe is very small and is centered on target so sometimes even guardian does not stand in it.
Ele LH blast is centered on target. On target there is your symbol.
You blast finisher is centered on you location before this "leap". With good movement you can blast easly fire fields.
Ele with scepter / dagger could blast fire fields easly even with hammer guard on, but with LH there will be constant overlapping problems, and it will be quite random at most which boons you get.

#13 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

It doesn't appear that theorycrafting alone at 4AM is such a good idea. I'll probably just continue playing Sword and not bother with Hammer. Focus 5 is even a blast finisher and I didn't even think about that. YOLO I guess.

#14 XRay

XRay

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[TBF]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

ps. seems that the 'new' elem trait only applies fury when they are the ones casting the fire field, so it won't apply to guardian's.

*if you already mentioned this I apologize, I'm prolly as sleepy as Brazil*

#15 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

ps. seems that the 'new' elem trait only applies fury when they are the ones casting the fire field, so it won't apply to guardian's.

*if you already mentioned this I apologize, I'm prolly as sleepy as Brazil*

I haven't even looked at that trait yet, I just heard that they get fury and fire fields.

#16 XRay

XRay

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[TBF]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

it's pretty amazing on s/d and decent on d/d. on s/d in one fire field u can get 50 seconds fury just in one rotation, and keep perma fury up for the entirety of the encounter.

#17 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

WAIT A SECOND. It seems that the blast finisher applies to which field was down first, so if I put a fire field down and autoattack in it, the light field won't overwrite it. I tried it with and without larger and longer symbols, and the same seems to be true both ways. It would probably be pretty easy to play this build with LH Eles.

#18 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

WAIT A SECOND. It seems that the blast finisher applies to which field was down first, so if I put a fire field down and autoattack in it, the light field won't overwrite it. I tried it with and without larger and longer symbols, and the same seems to be true both ways. It would probably be pretty easy to play this build with LH Eles.

That's how it's supposed to work but it's not always that easy. You'll probably be seeing a lot of retaliation blasts even if you put the fire field down first.

#19 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:14 PM

That's how it's supposed to work but it's not always that easy. You'll probably be seeing a lot of retaliation blasts even if you put the fire field down first.

NO! I refuse to listen to you. My 5 minutes of testing on Lion's Arch dummies completely discredits your statement. I'm also having trouble actually testing this in a group because not enough people in my guild understand class variety or don't have an Ele.

If I can consistently get the fire fields to work properly and no one reports problems with them, I think I may start using a build like this. Just for some variety and because I find Hammer to be fun.

Now I sound like a damn casual.

#20 Rennalt

Rennalt

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

not enough people in my guild understand class variety

Lolol this guy here...got me 7 Guardians with dat T3 Cultural Armor.

Damn casuals these days, and that song...I don't even...

Edited by Rennalt, 26 June 2013 - 11:53 PM.

#21 arekkusuro

arekkusuro

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:41 AM

lolol i do quite enjoy these threads.

interesting theory Brazil, so ignor emy question about hammer play in your perfect DPS thread. and thanks for answering the questions re: Ele. i guess i'm one of those.. i only have Guard, leveling necro and warr. now to read them ele notes....

gotta test this more too then.

#22 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

lolol i do quite enjoy these threads.

interesting theory Brazil, so ignor emy question about hammer play in your perfect DPS thread. and thanks for answering the questions re: Ele. i guess i'm one of those.. i only have Guard, leveling necro and warr. now to read them ele notes....

gotta test this more too then.

I think I ignored it on accident, but then I read this reply and I felt alright about it. I'm about to do some extensive testing with this Hammer build (probably getting drunk and doing 1 CoE run), so I'll make changes accordingly if something needs to change.

#23 arekkusuro

arekkusuro

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

I think I ignored it on accident, but then I read this reply and I felt alright about it. I'm about to do some extensive testing with this Hammer build (probably getting drunk and doing 1 CoE run), so I'll make changes accordingly if something needs to change.

lol it all works out. ; ))

nice, i'll be keeping and eye on this then and doing some of my own testing too. for drunken runs!!
i agree, hammer is easily one of the most fun Guardian weapons for me.

#24 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:38 AM

Updated, changed some things around. Probably not quite as good of a build as Sword / Focus, but it's more involved and probably a bit more fun to play.

#25 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Added video guide.

#26 George3009

George3009

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hi Brazil, great guide and build. It is working great on the dungeons I'm running. Just one question, you said that with it we would be hitting 12k with mighty blow, but I'm using full zerker gear and the closest I got was 7k on a crit. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, so if you could tell me how to hit so hard with MB it would be great (I'm using ruby orbs atm cause I can't afford scholar runes atm and). Once more thanks for the great guide, was looking for a hammer dmg build for some time.

#27 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:39 AM

so even without RHS, sword will still outdamage other alternatives in an auto attack race?

#28 BrazilTheHue

BrazilTheHue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

Hi Brazil, great guide and build. It is working great on the dungeons I'm running. Just one question, you said that with it we would be hitting 12k with mighty blow, but I'm using full zerker gear and the closest I got was 7k on a crit. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, so if you could tell me how to hit so hard with MB it would be great (I'm using ruby orbs atm cause I can't afford scholar runes atm and). Once more thanks for the great guide, was looking for a hammer dmg build for some time.

It's dependent on Might and Vulnerability stacks too. I think a better trait setup would be 15/15/0/20/20, though. I need to get around to updating this but I've been pretty busy.

#29 Khadroth

Khadroth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Guild Tag:[vox]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

It's dependent on Might and Vulnerability stacks too. I think a better trait setup would be 15/15/0/20/20, though. I need to get around to updating this but I've been pretty busy.

Please do! I generally dungeon on my LH ele, and a guy I normally run with has gotten his guardian to 80 and is expressing interest in both playing with the hammer and providing fire fields. The slot skill choices are obvious, it's just the traits (and maybe even weapon loadouts) that are up in the air.

#30 pullinside

pullinside

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

20 in vitues for level up virtues like VIII IX and X ?
brazil please find time XD yeah thanks + +

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: soulja boy, speakers going hammer, hammer, dps, brazil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users