Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

My Thoughts On Temp Content.


  • Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 ExplosivePinata

ExplosivePinata

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRA]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

I get the feeling outwith the RNG purchases that the actual in game content is so lacking in actual substance it's only put in as temporary not only to appease Miss Cox but that there is more chance of you having a better interaction with installing Steam than you will with GW2's temp content. Then after the fact, this half hearted, uninspired drivel will be gone so regular dissapointed players will have no frame of reference for their dissapointment and be pointed to the Wiki god and be disregarded as whiners when they try to relate it to new players. Hell, temp. content can't poison the excellent base content so we'll keep churning it out, recycling and deleting before the word spreads and the poison gets too deep.

I'm always wrong but it's how I feel.

#2 Desild

Desild

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Location:New Eden
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DKAL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

View PostExplosivePinata, on 02 July 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

I get the feeling outwith the RNG purchases that the actual in game content is so lacking in actual substance it's only put in as temporary not only to appease Miss Cox but that there is more chance of you having a better interaction with installing Steam than you will with GW2's temp content. Then after the fact, this half hearted, uninspired drivel will be gone so regular dissapointed players will have no frame of reference for their dissapointment and be pointed to the Wiki god and be disregarded as whiners when they try to relate it to new players. Hell, temp. content can't poison the excellent base content so we'll keep churning it out, recycling and deleting before the word spreads and the poison gets too deep.

I'm always wrong but it's how I feel.

I'd say you nailed it, but that would be the understatement of a lifetime. We need a new term for this: you Sledgehammered it. Noo... You Maslow-nated that point. Even ArenaNet felt that pyramid.

Ahem... I most certainly mirror your concerns in mine (heck, I've been at this for months, I hope I at least get an NPC in-game to honor my efforts and achievements in naysaying, even if just a fat norn named Erild Crudevoice that only utters nonsense).

Where was I... Oh yes! Cox Boxes are evil. Enough said.



#3 ExplosivePinata

ExplosivePinata

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRA]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostDesild, on 03 July 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Oh yes! Cox Boxes are evil. Enough said.

Saddest part is people are comparing leaving GW2 to NC Softs new game, what's it called? We are doomed! Frying pan and fire get left out of schools this year?

Edited by ExplosivePinata, 03 July 2013 - 01:29 AM.


#4 DeConstruct

DeConstruct

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

Heh that is quite an interesting standpoint, and I have to agree. I have to agree, because honestly I have not been able to think of a single valid reason for content like this to be temporary. So I'm gonna have to apply Occam's Razor and say, it's temporary because they want you to forget about it. Then when it all goes belly up a year or so down the line they can fall back on all the content they supposedly added and chalk people's disappointment up to subjectivity.

#5 lmaonade

lmaonade

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Location:That one place with the thing
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

my thoughts on temporary content: It's too temporary

#6 Omega X

Omega X

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[OOM]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostExplosivePinata, on 03 July 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Saddest part is people are comparing leaving GW2 to NC Softs new game, what's it called? We are doomed! Frying pan and fire get left out of schools this year?

There is no frying pan, just the fire. Its going from one burner to the next. This one don't burn evenly, the flame is too high on one side.

#7 DeConstruct

DeConstruct

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostExplosivePinata, on 03 July 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Saddest part is people are comparing leaving GW2 to NC Softs new game, what's it called? We are doomed! Frying pan and fire get left out of schools this year?
Thing is, Wildstar seems to have a lot more replay value than GW2, and a progressive item system to boot. Even if the core fundamentals are similar, it should provide a lot more intrinsic and extrinsic value. If GW2 had homes to build and adorn with trophies, guild versus guild (siege) combat as well as more carrots on sticks, we wouldnt be having threads like these.

#8 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostExplosivePinata, on 03 July 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Saddest part is people are comparing leaving GW2 to NC Softs new game, what's it called? We are doomed! Frying pan and fire get left out of schools this year?


I agree that it is disparaging to say the least. I Feel it and why I left a few weeks ago. They seem to push the gem store now further with the 2 week cadence which helps them but I think it will burn out the base way too fast.
Maybe not the casuals as much but daily people who keep the game going cant keep that kinda pace in $ flow going for all the shiny.
Then there is the content. What about real expansions which are never coming they said. No new races or professions or the like? No new massive areas to go get lost in.Just the continued lack luster content that keeps you occupied for 2 hours for achievements then log out for 2 weeks.

#9 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4912 posts
  • Location:ArenaNet's Pantry
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

This is my thoughts, at first everyone would be so happy to have new quests all the time, then, comes the time when its too much to handle, and players start complaining they couldn't complete quests in time that is given.... so now..

All we need now is a Quest Manager of which players can activate the temporary contents if they cannot get it done in time at a later date to be casually play by said player on their own chosen timing.  

I am just helping you here so you don't have to redo your contents later, because, after all, that is what Zynga has done to Farmville. yes farmville, they used to have temporary contents churn out on a daily basis, and millions of players complaint about it, and now they have Quest Manager.

Edit
I am using Farmville here as an example because I am not comparing the game, but the behavior of players towards something similar in a game they love.

#10 Craywulf

Craywulf

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5273 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Only reason there's complaints about temporary content is because of the rewards. There's simply not enough time for everyone to grind the content to gain every conceivable temporary reward offered. You want it all or don't want anything to do with it and dismissed it as drivel.

The logic that everyone deserves the same loot and the same experience is why MMOs are often considered stagnant. ArenaNet is attempting to change the perception of stagnation with temporary content. Yet nobody on the boards seem to want to acknowledge it. All I see is complaints about loot and their RNGs, which translates to me that you want more time so you can grind.

Edited by Craywulf, 04 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.


#11 Mastruq

Mastruq

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Living Story is there to sell RNG boxes, and its temporary so they can sell you new skins every month. They have several teams doing in order to churn out at last one batch of gem shop items per month. Of course you cannot write this into the news and explain it this ways in interviews. So instead the idea behind it is "removing the stagnancy and making the world feel alive".

Other additions are only done sparsely to avoid the impression that part of the game is abandoned by development.

Edited by Mastruq, 04 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.


#12 Jentari

Jentari

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 250 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostCraywulf, on 04 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Only reason there's complaints about temporary content is because of the rewards. There's simply not enough time for everyone to grind the content to gain every conceivable temporary reward offered. You want it all or don't want anything to do with it and dismissed it as drivel.

The logic that everyone deserves the same loot and the same experience is why MMOs are often considered stagnant. ArenaNet is attempting to change the perception of stagnation with temporary content. Yet nobody on the boards seem to want to acknowledge it. All I see is complaints about loot and their RNGs, which translates to me that you want more time so you can grind.

Craywulf, you are wrong at least for me.  I don't care about collecting the gear.  I don't like the temp content just because it is temp content.  It is content to be forgotten a month or two down the road and as such gives me no incentive to play it regardless of what goodies are offered.

#13 Phadde

Phadde

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[SWE]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postlmaonade, on 03 July 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

my thoughts on temporary content: It's too temporary

my thoughts on temporary content: Can't the time be spend improving the endgame?

#14 Fantasy Trope

Fantasy Trope

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 136 posts
  • Location:Sto-vo-kor
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[EZ]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostPhadde, on 04 July 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

my thoughts on temporary content: Can't the time be spend improving the endgame?

My fear is that there is no real way to monetize endgame improvements.  Given their development focus and recent box sale trends, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority (or almost all) of their current revenue comes from RNG boxes.

(It reminds me of capital campaigns--no one gets excited about fixing buildings or paying down debt, but everyone wants to give money to something new.)

I don't like P2P, but if this is what B2P naturally reduces to, I'd rather pay a subscription for polished content than pay nothing for excuses to pump out RNG boxes while persistent issues languish in some development blackhole.

#15 lmaonade

lmaonade

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Location:That one place with the thing
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostPhadde, on 04 July 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

my thoughts on temporary content: Can't the time be spend improving the endgame?

Sadly, these 2 week cycle living story updates is what Arenanet is reportedly focusing on now, they've "restructured the company" and so and so just to do so (though I'm sure that all the fluff was just for PR, the main point is that now they're working full time on the Living Story)

they could improve end game with the Living Story updates, it just depends on how they use it and what they develop (and how permanent the developed content is)

#16 SZSSZS

SZSSZS

    Branded One

  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Location:Palestine
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[ToA]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

View PostCraywulf, on 04 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

The logic that everyone deserves the same loot and the same experience is why MMOs are often considered stagnant.

Speaking strictly about loot, don't most MMO's already create enough barriers around loot? Extremely low drop rates on rare items already reserve them only for those willing to grind countless hours away. Legendaries for instance, are pretty much walled off for myself and many others (though I've clocked plenty of hours).

So I can't agree that MMO's really bear the logic of everyone deserving the same loot. If you're referring to the perspective of gamers', as plenty do desire the loot divide to be bridged, I'd have to say that MMO's have been pretty resistant to doing so.

Guaranteed items, like Mini Horrik, are at least within reach, even if you're game time is limited. Now mixing RNG with temproray content, that's when things become a bit unviable.

Edited by SZSSZS, 04 July 2013 - 05:02 PM.


#17 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1180 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

Living Story is a good as idea but problem with this is much deeper then it looks, for one you simply cannot expand game (like GW2) in this way, there is no development team on this planet earth that can deliver "content" that will keep people occupied for longer time in this short amount of time !

Second by focusing on one aspect you sacrifice everything else, in this particular case Anet showed us how months of "living story" development yielded barely a DAY OF GAMEPLAY !!!

Now i play MMO`s for years now, maybe little less experienced players and time limited players will take longer to do certain things but in any case their "updates" don`t even look close to impressive, fresh, and MMO frenzy friendly !

It all boils to this, they put up "new patch" i visit dulfy.net (TY Dulfy whoever you are) and hour and a half later i finished (sometimes takes few days when quests are "date of arrival" bound ???). So you see i don`t even emerge in story, i don`t care what is it and once i chew it i just spit it out and don`t care anymore !

If anyone wonders why i do it like that answer is rather simple, GW2 maybe has a good story on a paper but it was lost "somwhere in translation" in other words who ever directed it failed miserably, game story is mediocre at best, and fun factor never lifts of the ground throwing random stuff on top of that doesn`t fix the problem, unfortunately creates even bigger mess !!!

To cut things short, whoever created GW1 never had anything to do with GW2 that is very clear, is it fixable ? I believe so, but it needs someone who really knows what hes doing !!!

#18 Serris

Serris

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

View Postnerfandderf, on 04 July 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I agree that it is disparaging to say the least. I Feel it and why I left a few weeks ago. They seem to push the gem store now further with the 2 week cadence which helps them but I think it will burn out the base way too fast.
Maybe not the casuals as much but daily people who keep the game going cant keep that kinda pace in $ flow going for all the shiny.
Then there is the content. What about real expansions which are never coming they said. No new races or professions or the like? No new massive areas to go get lost in.Just the continued lack luster content that keeps you occupied for 2 hours for achievements then log out for 2 weeks.

i think they'll be releasing new races and areas with the living story. no expansion doesn't mean you won't see any of that stuff.

that said, i'm so stupidly tired of their retarded rare skins that you have a "chance" for in their gem boxes. recently the new icons for the  next patch were datamined, it also had 2 boxes in them. i won't be surprised to see the same dragon bash bullshit in the four winds living story.

Anet always claimed that endgame was all about getting rare skins.
then they start releasing new skins, almost none are obtainable through skill. they're all through ridiculous low RNG and gem store boxes.
so endgame in their eyes is you playing the same stuff you've been playing for months, doing the new achievement checklist and then spending all your money on gems.

#19 DeConstruct

DeConstruct

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostSZSSZS, on 04 July 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Speaking strictly about loot, don't most MMO's already create enough barriers around loot? Extremely low drop rates on rare items already reserve them only for those willing to grind countless hours away. Legendaries for instance, are pretty much walled off for myself and many others (though I've clocked plenty of hours).

So I can't agree that MMO's really bear the logic of everyone deserving the same loot. If you're referring to the perspective of gamers', as plenty do desire the loot divide to be bridged, I'd have to say that MMO's have been pretty resistant to doing so.

Guaranteed items, like Mini Horrik, are at least within reach, even if you're game time is limited. Now mixing RNG with temproray content, that's when things become a bit unviable.
Thing is everyone in an MMO deserves the same CHANCE at content. Be it loot or whatever. The person you quoted conveniently disregards this. MMO's intentionally equalize the playing field. An hour's worth of time investment should always provide the same experience for everyone. Whether you're an American investment banker who makes 500 bucks an hour or a Chinese factory worker making 2 cents an hour. You get what you put in.

Practices like "You should be there when Arenanet tells you to play this content" are getting awfully close to "Can you afford to play the game on a whim or otherwise miss out?" Someone at home on welfare might say yes, someone drilling for oil on an offshore platform might say no. Arenanet intends to disturb the equilibrium.

#20 ExplosivePinata

ExplosivePinata

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRA]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

View PostDeConstruct, on 04 July 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Practices like "You should be there when Arenanet tells you to play this content" are getting awfully close to "Can you afford to play the game on a whim or otherwise miss out?" Someone at home on welfare might say yes, someone drilling for oil on an offshore platform might say no. Arenanet intends to disturb the equilibrium.

Painful truth!

LS just annoys me so because there are no repercussions, no commitment, only the people that were there remember it (outwith wiki) and who the hell is going to wiki past events? They should focus on good full time content instead of the too easy to wipe the slate clean temporary stuff.

Edited by ExplosivePinata, 05 July 2013 - 02:45 AM.


#21 scaur

scaur

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

Think of GW2 as a water sink. The water is draining instead of put a plug in it , Anet choose to stuff it with toilet papers.

#22 Phadde

Phadde

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[SWE]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 04 July 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Sadly, these 2 week cycle living story updates is what Arenanet is reportedly focusing on now, they've "restructured the company" and so and so just to do so (though I'm sure that all the fluff was just for PR, the main point is that now they're working full time on the Living Story)

they could improve end game with the Living Story updates, it just depends on how they use it and what they develop (and how permanent the developed content is)


I could not get any less enjoyment out of the Living Story. The LS should be implemented when that could actually be considered a valid priority.

Right now I'm baffled that they've spent time on the LS instead of improving the game - Which is not only needed, it should be their top priority. There is so much things to be done that would improve this game immensely and it feels like they're spending their time on temporally content - and that could be a good idea when the game barely needs any improvements at that time

#23 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostSerris, on 04 July 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

i think they'll be releasing new races and areas with the living story. no expansion doesn't mean you won't see any of that stuff.

that said, i'm so stupidly tired of their retarded rare skins that you have a "chance" for in their gem boxes. recently the new icons for the  next patch were datamined, it also had 2 boxes in them. i won't be surprised to see the same dragon bash bullshit in the four winds living story.

Anet always claimed that endgame was all about getting rare skins.
then they start releasing new skins, almost none are obtainable through skill. they're all through ridiculous low RNG and gem store boxes.
so endgame in their eyes is you playing the same stuff you've been playing for months, doing the new achievement checklist and then spending all your money on gems.


I understand that frustration and kinda why I gave up. They killed the open world farming so you cant make gold ->gems for the boxes. I dont like dungeons a whole lot so COF is out of the question and it seemsto me the only viable way they make $ is in the gamble boxes.
It is a sad pattern to say the least but there is nothing that can be done until people stop gambling and say  let me buy the skin! But they dont so anet has no reason to change the meta.
what skins are released for non gamblers havent been to my taste and I find it chasing that and grinding achievements to be unfulfilling. I use to play the TP but again that was a job and not fun-the joy I got was from giving it all away to guildies and strangers. At the end of the day for me it became a chore with the dailies, the bad grinding, the TP, and the meta of boss, and skin acquisition all added up to say no more. Not to mention the reliance of RNG on everything and 0 reward for skill.
The goal seems to be remove as much money from the player before they quit the game for the least amount of dev time and use the variety option via the 2 week cadence to appeal to even more people - all the while burning them out. Once the casuals give up on it then maybe things will change but they may just like it - I dont know.

Edited by nerfandderf, 05 July 2013 - 11:00 AM.


#24 Phadde

Phadde

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[SWE]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

"The goal seems to be remove as much money from the player before they quit the game for the least amount of dev time and use the variety option via the 2 week cadence to appeal to even more people - all the while burning them out. Once the casuals give up on it then maybe things will change but they may just like it - I dont know."

It may seem like it, but I'm confident that their focus lies on improving the game for the players. I don't think that they're doing it in a smart way though

I hate the living story, because I think that they're wasting very precious time that should be spent on better things. We're longing for  permanent content in may different forms.

Edited by Phadde, 05 July 2013 - 11:17 AM.


#25 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

View PostCraywulf, on 04 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Only reason there's complaints about temporary content is because of the rewards.

Lol at really bad blanket statement that isn't true.

That is NOT the reason people don't like temporary content.

#26 ExplosivePinata

ExplosivePinata

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRA]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostMhenlo, on 05 July 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

Lol at really bad blanket statement that isn't true.

That is NOT the reason people don't like temporary content.

Not sure it is such a blanket statement. My biggest problem with login in is the reason that I never feel rewarded for anything I do. Why in the name of all that is holy should I even bother? In games like Borderlands 2 or Torchlight 2, I kill that boss or tough enemy I get rewarded for my trouble. In GW2, the enemies/bosses that should make me feel rewarded when I kill them are just fluff that have no real point, christ the fact that they are champions and veterans instead of named bosses like we had in GW1 says it all and makes them have zero personality (production line).

When I chat to other gamers in game, will they remember the tmp. content that I've achieved by paying lots of cash, will it make me a more recogniseable trust worth and reliable player that they want to party with or will I just be some bozo that pressed the interact key hundreds of times?

Edited by ExplosivePinata, 06 July 2013 - 01:48 AM.


#27 turtledragon

turtledragon

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

The only temporary content I want to see is Holiday events.

#28 Desild

Desild

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Location:New Eden
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DKAL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postturtledragon, on 07 July 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

The only temporary content I want to see is Holiday events.

Even that is a lie, since the benefit of Holiday events is that they eventually cycle back. Temporary content on the other hand? Not so much.

#29 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

I'd post a sincere comment about it but since I haven't played the game in 3 weeks cause I got tired of the RNG bs I guess my opinion is moot.

#30 Elk

Elk

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1769 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Guild Tag:[Pink]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

kinda glad I'm not the only one here, never found all of this temporary content too interesting. It is possible that I should've just gone on wiki and followed the events more closely, but I kept finding the whole thing lacking such  a bold direction. I wouldn't have had any problem with this, apart from the fact that the content's integration can sometimes give it the impression of the next big step in the storyline, which it kind of isn't because of its temporary-ness (yeah I said that).

anywho my opinion is probably void due to lack of dedicated playtime, so yeah.

Edited by Elk, 08 July 2013 - 09:53 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users