Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

So I will say that I have never seen such a tightly controlled message as I have this week.

An interview embargo that just released Wednesday/Tuesday in the first week of July, with the ArenaNet Community Member Mike Zadorojny granting access to such outlets like Eurogamer, Gamerzines and Digital Connect World.

As stated, the thing they seem to be crying from all the rooftops is their new content release cycle, which they've been harangued about by the player base on many occassions.  The fact that they aren't doing an expansion seems to be something Eurogamer managed to get incidentally.

Add that to Colin's recent blog post, the announcement adding incentive to achievement points, the Facebook Like campaign... The latter can be part and parcel of your standard PR push, but coming 10-11 months following launch seems like there is either a new director of PR in house or there is a sudden and dire need to get the attention of people.  Tho this could also be the push to stave off the summer attrition that occurs when people go on vacation...

Thoughts?  It does seem a little heavy handed for so much to be flying out in a single week, especially when its a tightly controlled interview embargo that has to be released from several outlets all on the same day.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#2 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3975 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:59 AM

The achievement overhaul is exactly the time to try and grab the attention of  lapsed players, hoping they come for the new content, and stay for the grind plus bi-weekly updates. When you put in big new shit, you advertise it.

#3 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

Pretty sure GW2 will be the only MMO on the western market with such frequent patches, so I assume PR took that and decided it would be good fuel for the summer and went forward with a PR campaign.
For those not on vacation, the prospect of "new content every two weeks" would be fairly appealing.

Not just GW2 or MMOs, but the gaming industry in general has been reaching out to the casual market a lot in recent years. An easy example is League of Legends with its free Facebook skin. While I find it silly, the facebook thing doesn't surprise me, it's easy and cheap to make use of and has a wide reach. Twitter is quiet popular for devs/companies as well, I'm surprised they didn't do something there too.

#4 Featherman

Featherman

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

The facebook campaign is to raise awareness not just for existing players but for new ones as well. When a person "likes" their friends will be able to see that like as well. It's a timed so that awareness is high right when there's an influx of "free" content patch info.

#5 sitkaz

sitkaz

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 7 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

It's also a great time to snag MMO players because school and university holidays are on, people are burning out on wow (Pandaria), Neverwinter's beta is coming to an end, um--I'm sure there are others. For whatever reason I have a good bunch of friends looking for a new MMO.

#6 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

This started a while ago with snowcrash in ealy June
Trying to raise the consciousness and stop the bleeding of players and maybe wrangle a few to come back
It is a serious effort to try and stabilize the population from further decline

#7 davadude

davadude

Seraph Guardian

• News Correspondents
  • 1396 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostArewn, on 04 July 2013 - 02:03 AM, said:

For those not on vacation, the prospect of "new content every two weeks" would be fairly appealing.

This is probably the reason.  Makes people interested.
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#8 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3300 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Advertising the game is good.
Now they just need to maker a game that is worth advertising for.

#9 Locuz

Locuz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

The sad part is that PR departments in MMOs still use traditional marketing strategies, while missing huge oppertunities to get their "point across".

A lot of people will see this PR storm as a desperate measure from a team behind a "failed game". As an example id like to bring up what one of my wow friends said to me when i told him about the two weekly updates  "It doesnt matter how much content they release if the game sucks".

What really bothers me personally is how people, including people who have been playing this game for a while, often misunderstand or overlook the games unique compelling features / what makes this gaming so freaking amazing.

Thats exactly what i would focus on if i was in charge of PR at Arenanet and treat all the extra additions for what they are, cherries on the cake. Improvements to an allready succesfull concept.

So what happens if someone is in doubt wether or not to buy this game? In my case i would look at streams and player created youtube content, And thats something that is missed by a lot of marketing departments, I would focus heavily on facilitating the current youtubers and streamers or maybe even hire people to create or stream amazing content for you.

Edited by Locuz, 06 July 2013 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users