• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

New Celestial Armor: Does it work with the Engineer?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3974 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Sorry you wasted your money. Comparing celestial + scholar vs. zerk + altruism was wrong from the start. Yes scholar is a huge selfish DPS boost that can even make up the celestial/zerk divide, but the point of altruism was to be a *group DPS boost* which is much larger if you don't already have perma fury in the party. Regardless the two rune sets are basically independent of the gear stats and should be evaluated as such; celestial + selfish vs. zerk + selfless is not a valid comparison. Even worse is that the condi damage on flamethrower is tiny (and the "math" above does nothing to explain this) and the situation is even worse on rampagers which does not have the crit damage% of celestial. Even if you want survival you should be looking at soldiers/sentinels or knights so you aren't wasting stats on condition damage and healing power.

I do like rampagers/celestial for grenade or maybe pistol-based builds but that is because of the conditions involved. It's just a waste on things with minimal condi damage like bombs or flamethrowers.

Edited by FoxBat, 15 September 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#32 pachua

pachua

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

how about full celestial gear (armor,weapon,trinkets) with the new traveler rune? have anyone tried it? is it good for wvw ?
i dont know much about engineer, make one to 80 but never delve deeper into its core. from common perspective engineer seems to need all status to be an effective unit in wvw.
searched this entire forum and no one ever mention about full celestial gear engineer.

if you have one can you share the build?

thank you

#33 Plyte

Plyte

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

View Postpachua, on 13 October 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

how about full celestial gear (armor,weapon,trinkets) with the new traveler rune? have anyone tried it? is it good for wvw ?
i dont know much about engineer, make one to 80 but never delve deeper into its core. from common perspective engineer seems to need all status to be an effective unit in wvw.
searched this entire forum and no one ever mention about full celestial gear engineer.

thank you

I would never recommend full celestial gear;  you simply lose too much precision.  I ran celestial trinkets+ rampager's armor for months and maintained a decent enough crit, but I couldn't imagine losing another 3% crit switching out armors.  

We'll see if they tweak any numbers tomorrow.

#34 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1178 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

View Postpachua, on 13 October 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

thank you

Sorry if there's a lack of information out there. The general response of this thread was overwhelmingly negative, so I kind of just kept things about Celestial gear to myself.

I wear Celestial armor and jewelry in World vs. World. I'd probably wield Celestial weapons too, but I never bothered to make them. If I ever get around to making Ascended weapons, I'll probably make those Celestial.

Even in PvE, I think the days of glass cannons are numbered. They made it to where Tequatl cannot be crit. And the new TA Aetherpath is definitely sub-optimal if everyone wears Zerker/Scholar gear. Content ArenaNet puts out is just more challenging than the base content in this game. And while you can probably still glass cannon things up after running the Aetherpath multiple times, on first go-around you're just a detriment to your team.

But in WvW especially, I wear my Celestial all the time. I have the survivability and healing stats to provide ample support in zergs with my Healing Turret and Elixir Gun, and I have the damage to still kill most people I come across when 1v1 or doing small-group guild roams with my Flamethrower or Bomb Kit.

Edited by Phineas Poe, 14 October 2013 - 10:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users