• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

[Looking Ahead Discussion] Crafting: Account Bound Materials & Level 500 & Legendaries/Precursors

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

In an effort to keep the noise down over discussing the various points hit upon by Colin's most recent post, I've taken the time to create different threads in the General Discussion forums to cover the different aspects.  The overall point is that there's just so many points he hit upon, it's very easy for the original news post to have several conversations going on about the different points.  This is for organizational purposes, as people will want to comment on each point and having an in-depth discussion and analysis will create Wall o' Texts.  The Magic Find changes were already posted and can be found here.

This covers the follow content in the post...

New Crafting Material Rewards

We’ll also add a new set of account-bound crafting materials to the game. You’ll receive these materials as guaranteed rewards once per day per unique location for completing content within a category of gameplay in Guild Wars 2.

For example, capturing camps, towers, and keeps in WvW will earn you these crafting materials. In the Living World, you can earn them for killing giant world bosses, defeating dungeons, completing jumping puzzles, completing mini-dungeons, finishing some types of guild missions, capturing temples in Orr, and other activities.

Mix it up and try your favorite mini-dungeons one day, your favorite jumping puzzles the next day, and on an another day capture supply camps in WvW instead to earn the crafting material. Or if you want to do all three in one day, the choice is yours! Players can earn each of these guaranteed reward crafting materials from a variety of content across both PvE and WvW to give players choice in what type of content they enjoy.

Crafting Taken to 500!

We’ll expand all crafting professions to allow them to reach a new milestone: 500 points!

At 500, crafters will be able to craft ascended weapons and armor. Once you reach 500, a new tier of crafting materials will be available to you; this new tier of materials will be made by combining lower tier materials. This tier is time-constrained, so each item can only be made once per day in order to help give high-level crafters their own economy of items to build and sell that retain their value and rarity.

This new tier of crafting material, along with the new guaranteed material rewards mentioned earlier and some other materials we’ll introduce will be used to craft ascended weapons, armor, and more. These weapons and armor will also be able to be found as rare drops from locations in the world. Ascended weapons and armor will remain account-bound like other ascended gear.

Legendary Gear and Precursors

We aren’t quite ready to go into all the details here, but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013. Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

In addition, we’ll also improve the functionality of legendaries, allowing you to set their stats when out of combat to any stat combo available, so you don’t need to transmute stat changes for legendaries. Legendary gear will remain with the same tier of stats as ascended gear and will not be made more powerful than other gear, it will simply be slightly more convenient since it will no longer need transmutations to change stats.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#2 jcwilsn1

jcwilsn1

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Both excited and a bit nervous about this discussion.

In the blog, Anet states:

"We’ve seen a lot of questions in regards to this after the release of ascended gear: What will the core reward system be for Guild Wars 2 in the future after ascended gear has all been released? We specifically said we don’t want to get caught up in the trap where every 3-6 months the game adds another tier of gear to the game; that invalidates all your hard work and the rewards you’ve earned."

Seems they like they are adding another tier of crafting to the game, which I think will have similar effects. Can't help but be interested in the crafting progression though.

#3 jcwilsn1

jcwilsn1

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

I like the changes they are making to legendaries and acquisition of precursor weapons. I think the addition of a new tier of materials is a bit questionable, but it might create more demand for lower tier materials which would be cool. Generally my issue with the traditional progression scale MMOs is that lower-level items become useless. By allowing the option of combining lower tier crafting materials into T6 mats, I think that might help alleviate the problem.

Edited by Archaes, 20 July 2013 - 08:03 PM.
Quote removed because original post was hidden

#4 ChuyDog08

ChuyDog08

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

I like the fact they seem to be listening to the complaints about RNG.

I wonder what this will do to the curent precursor market?  I have suspision that it will not have much of an effect.  There will always be people who want to buy their legendary weapon instead of make their own.  The way I read the article was: "you can make your own precursor but it will be account bound".  I think that is perfect.  If I make it, it is only mine to use.  If I get it with a drop, I can sell it.  However, if you can make your own there is less demand to use the MF to produce precursors for sale.  Less precursors on the market, the price may rise.  Less people need to buy them, and the price will drop.  I think the two will off set each other and the price will probably remain the same over time.

#5 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

In the Living World, you can earn them for killing giant world bosses, defeating dungeons, completing jumping puzzles, completing mini-dungeons, finishing some types of guild missions, capturing temples in Orr, and other activities.

I take issue with the bolded parts.  Those bosses are already such a big and massive part of the Checklist Wars, adding even more incentive to do them despite the fact that they ARE NOT FUN to do on a daily basis chafes me.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#6 ChuyDog08

ChuyDog08

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

I take issue with the bolded parts.  Those bosses are already such a big and massive part of the Checklist Wars, adding even more incentive to do them despite the fact that they ARE NOT FUN to do on a daily basis chafes me.

Yeah, but they are making doing other things equal to world bosses.  Now you don't have to watch the overlay and run from boss to boss to get the daily fix.  You can play other aspects fo the game and get stuff equal to world bosses.

#7 jcwilsn1

jcwilsn1

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Are mini-dungeons active right now? I've heard that phrase used only recently and don't really know what they are.

#8 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3230 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

So, how many levels can I then craft instead of having to grind them?

#9 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostChuyDog08, on 18 July 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Yeah, but they are making doing other things equal to world bosses.  Now you don't have to watch the overlay and run from boss to boss to get the daily fix.  You can play other aspects fo the game and get stuff equal to world bosses.

Unless you get your daily (THROTTLING MECHANIC) allotted rewards from doing just one of those things, there's no reason to not try and get them from every aspect of the game you can.  It still amounts to Checklist Wars and another attempt to keep players from 'fading' from the game when they realize its not fun.  It's the Skinner Box.  Only it's the crappiest Skinner Box ever.

#10 jcwilsn1

jcwilsn1

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostRitualist, on 18 July 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

So, how many levels can I then craft instead of having to grind them?

My guess is 13 levels. Although you might have been asking a rhetorical question.

#11 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

View Postjcwilsn1, on 18 July 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

Are mini-dungeons active right now? I've heard that phrase used only recently and don't really know what they are.

http://wiki.guildwar...ki/Mini-dungeon

#12 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Legendary Gear and Precursors

Building your precursor will require a large amount of the new crafting material rewards listed above, 500 in crafting, and likely a combination of other items earned for completing more specific content in the game.

LOL. I bet you will be able to craft one componet per day and it will take you X number of days to do so. This is done only to prevent legendary precusrsors from flooding the market!

Edited by Zhaitan, 18 July 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#13 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostZhaitan, on 18 July 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

LOL. I bet you will be able to craft one componet per day and it will take you X number of days to do so. This is done only to prevent legendary precusrsors from flooding the market!

Probably not, I mean only one founder remains and he's pretty much just a CEO.  Colin runs the show.  There're a few places on the Internet that describe the company as being unrewarding to work for, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have very few industry vets working on core game mechanics.

#14 Saul Spotter

Saul Spotter

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1105 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

The way I read it, it sounded like you'd need to combine armor pieces to make the precursors.

#15 ChuyDog08

ChuyDog08

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

Unless you get your daily (THROTTLING MECHANIC) allotted rewards from doing just one of those things, there's no reason to not try and get them from every aspect of the game you can.  It still amounts to Checklist Wars and another attempt to keep players from 'fading' from the game when they realize its not fun.  It's the Skinner Box.  Only it's the crappiest Skinner Box ever.

Your right.  I have to agree.  I will probably be one of those caught in the treadmill in order to maximize what I can get.

Edited by ChuyDog08, 18 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#16 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

People are addicted to completion. They are just trying to exploit that. Once you embark on a journey to complete a legendary and know that you need 500 items. Every day you will log on to get 5 items and then log the ♥♥♥♥ off. It won't matter if the game is fun or not. You will do it. It's addiction. That's all they are banking on. This kind of hook is profitable when the game is pay by hour like Korea. But, when the game is F2P, its WTF.

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Probably not, I mean only one founder remains and he's pretty much just a CEO.  Colin runs the show.  There're a few places on the Internet that describe the company as being unrewarding to work for, so it wouldn't surprise me if they have very few industry vets working on core game mechanics.

I knew that but, typed it out of frustration and removed promptly. I don't believe Colin runs the show. Otherwise, he would not have eaten his own words and allowed the franchise to become the AIONclone. Cash shop manager signs off the design and then NC makes the call. All Collin does is say "yes" and checks monster.com in the men's room.

Edited by Zhaitan, 18 July 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#17 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostZhaitan, on 18 July 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

People are addicted to completion. They are just trying to exploit that. Once you embark on a journey to complete a legendary and know that you need 500 items. Every day you will log on to get 5 items and then log the ♥♥♥♥ off. It won't matter if the game is fun or not. You will do it. It's addiction. That's all they are banking on. This kind of hook is profitable when the game is pay by hour like Korea. But, when the game is F2P, its WTF.

Interesting opinion on this point:

http://www.gamasutra...rview_with_.php

I was talking yesterday with Phil Larsen of Halfbrick, in regard to energy systems, when there are some games that will just completely lock you out of playing it until you have paid a little bit, or you wait a long time. Some people don't seem to mind, and those people are traditionally thought of as being the folks who haven't played games really before. They are a new audience... they are the folks that haven't grown up with games. And this is really their first game experience.

JS: I think it's wrong to paint the picture that, "Oh, people are willing to tolerate this because they're naive." I think rather it's a question of how they want to play. It's hard for hardcore gamers to understand how more casual gamers want to play.

Sure.

JS: Hardcore gamers want to be like "I'm spending the weekend for 90 hours," right? Then it's like, "This is what I'm going to do." This idea of games being like, "Why don't you come back in 30 minutes?" it's repulsive to them.

But for a lot of people who are just like, "You know, I'm going to play a few minutes, I'm going to play a little bit here," and the game's like, "Hey, why don't you stop and come back later?"

That's there for two reasons. One is it's better for monetization in a free-to-play model to have people playing in little bits over a long period of time. The game wants to incentivize that. Secondly, for people who are playing kind of casually, they often appreciate it. They want a point where they can say, "oh, I should stop now. I shouldn't be doing too much of this anyway." Some people actually view it as a positive thing. They feel like it gives them a certain sense of completion. Right? "I couldn't play more now if I wanted to. And so, I'm completed. I'm stopped." But if you have the mindset that I'm going to grind through and bust this game, then it's frustrating.

The various dailies can be seen as an inverse of an energy system, where instead of stopping you from playing after X time, they just stop rewarding you. And it has a similar effect that it will make a good number of people play a little bit every day over many days. It's not quite as mild and "casual" as a 5 minute farmville session but the overall idea seems pretty similar; how to keep a more casual audience still playing your game a long time, so they are ready to pick up the new monetizations whenever they roll out.

#18 madmaxII

madmaxII

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Is quartz already one of those new materials? Would be great because at the moment its uses are very limited.

#19 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 18 July 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Interesting opinion on this point:

http://www.gamasutra...rview_with_.php

The various dailies can be seen as an inverse of an energy system, where instead of stopping you from playing after X time, they just stop rewarding you. And it has a similar effect that it will make a good number of people play a little bit every day over many days. It's not quite as mild and "casual" as a 5 minute farmville session but the overall idea seems pretty similar; how to keep a more casual audience still playing your game a long time, so they are ready to pick up the new monetizations whenever they roll out.

The problem is that they don't give you the same level of control.  WoW had a better system with the Badges Per Week.  So unless you were on vacation (at that point, you're effed whether daily or weekly), you could work your week around it.  Instead, now you feel obligated to login daily to maximize return.

#20 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

The problem is that they don't give you the same level of control.  WoW had a better system with the Badges Per Week.  So unless you were on vacation (at that point, you're effed whether daily or weekly), you could work your week around it.  Instead, now you feel obligated to login daily to maximize return.

Well it's like JS says, it's all about mindset. The player who wants to "bust" the game is going to be frustrated because GW2 is quite clearly the type of game that encourages a playstyle that puts an emphasis on variety. There's no room for variety in the mind of a player who wants to grind and grind and grind a certain aspect of the game to get to one goal.

To me, it all boils down to the impatience of the individual. This "I WANT IT NOW" thought process just ends up ticking them off and they blame the game for it.

I myself sold my precursor a few months ago for gold for gems to buy some of the limited gem store stuff. It's incredibly liberating to just say "F it" and let it ride and that I'll get my legendary when I get it.

What's interesting to think about is how many players complain about how grindy the game is yet are making the choice to do so (e.g. fractals for the back piece) so on a subconscious level, it's like they enjoy the grind because they'll enjoy the reward.  

If anybody truly hated the grind as much as they say then they'd just split up their time completing activities in the game but then we come back to this "I WANT IT NOW" mentality.

The game can't win against that. lol

#21 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostCalypso589, on 18 July 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Well it's like JS says, it's all about mindset. The player who wants to "bust" the game is going to be frustrated because GW2 is quite clearly the type of game that encourages a playstyle that puts an emphasis on variety. There's no room for variety in the mind of a player who wants to grind and grind and grind a certain aspect of the game to get to one goal.

To me, it all boils down to the impatience of the individual. This "I WANT IT NOW" thought process just ends up ticking them off and they blame the game for it.

I myself sold my precursor a few months ago for gold for gems to buy some of the limited gem store stuff. It's incredibly liberating to just say "F it" and let it ride and that I'll get my legendary when I get it.

What's interesting to think about is how many players complain about how grindy the game is yet are making the choice to do so (e.g. fractals for the back piece) so on a subconscious level, it's like they enjoy the grind because they'll enjoy the reward.  

If anybody truly hated the grind as much as they say then they'd just split up their time completing activities in the game but then we come back to this "I WANT IT NOW" mentality.

The game can't win against that. lol

The Claw of Jormag, Shatterer, Mega Destroyer, Fire Elemental, Great Jungle Wurm, Shadow Behemoth, Tequatl the Sunless and their daily chests would like to talk to you about variety and the nature of Checklist Wars.

To me, it boils down to getting it done when you can get it done.  That's not impatience, that is efficiency, and some of us can spare more hours in one day than we can in the next, so any attempts to throttle us when we can find the time is abhorrent.

Their issue is that there are paths of least resistance in the game, and players who have an objective are going to follow those paths.  And ultimately the least resistance for them is the least grind, so I'm not sure how they can't 'truly hate grind' if they're willing to pursue the activity that's going to give them the most return.

Any good game can better obfuscate the connection between gameplay and reward.  For instance, Batman: Arkham City did a much better job hiding the Riddler trophies and making them accessible through the course of the game, unlike the first Arkham game, which had me crawling back through quiet and dead areas just to find those things.  Only when you ultimately complete the game's story and go back to gather the rest does it feel in any way grindy to do so.

Much like in this game, when I need to get X number of Tier X mats, I don't go play the game look in my bag later and go 'oh that's nice, I have this.'  I go 'why the hell do I only have one of X!?' And then look up drop rates, drop areas and determine whether it would be easier to grind the gold or farm an area for them.  The game doesn't seamlessly reward anyone for playing it.  It uses those rewards to keep people playing so that their attention is on the game when the new items get thrown up on the gem shop.

You assume a lot about other people.

Edited by MazingerZ, 18 July 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#22 Malganis

Malganis

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[XIII]

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

At 500, crafters will be able to craft ascended weapons and armor. Once you reach 500, a new tier of crafting materials will be available to you; this new tier of materials will be made by combining lower tier materials. This tier is time-constrained, so each item can only be made once per day in order to help give high-level crafters their own economy of items to build and sell that retain their value and rarity.

This new tier of crafting material, along with the new guaranteed material rewards mentioned earlier and some other materials we’ll introduce will be used to craft ascended weapons, armor, and more. These weapons and armor will also be able to be found as rare drops from locations in the world. Ascended weapons and armor will remain account-bound like other ascended gear.

How can high-level crafters have their own economy of items to build and sell if the new tier of items and materials are account bound?

#23 Omega X

Omega X

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[OOM]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:55 PM

I noticed that no one is scoffing at the Legendary Armor mention. I remember a while back that people hated the gear creep and Ascended was supposed to be the last tier?

#24 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

View PostOmega X, on 18 July 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

I noticed that no one is scoffing at the Legendary Armor mention. I remember a while back that people hated the gear creep and Ascended was supposed to be the last tier?

Because Legendary stats are fluid.  They basically comprise of whatever the highest tier in the game is (Ascended, in this case)... if Ascended hadn't been released, Legendary Armor would have the same stats as Exotic armor.  Legendary is pure cosmetics.

#25 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

Wait a sec...so I wasted my dungeon tokens and crafting mats getting a bunch of exotic armor and weapons for my toon 2 days ago? It'd be nice to provide a means to upgrade exotic gear to ascended gear.

#26 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:04 AM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 July 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

The Claw of Jormag, Shatterer, Mega Destroyer, Fire Elemental, Great Jungle Wurm, Shadow Behemoth, Tequatl the Sunless and their daily chests would like to talk to you about variety and the nature of Checklist Wars.

To me, it boils down to getting it done when you can get it done.  That's not impatience, that is efficiency, and some of us can spare more hours in one day than we can in the next, so any attempts to throttle us when we can find the time is abhorrent.

Their issue is that there are paths of least resistance in the game, and players who have an objective are going to follow those paths.  And ultimately the least resistance for them is the least grind, so I'm not sure how they can't 'truly hate grind' if they're willing to pursue the activity that's going to give them the most return.

Any good game can better obfuscate the connection between gameplay and reward.  For instance, Batman: Arkham City did a much better job hiding the Riddler trophies and making them accessible through the course of the game, unlike the first Arkham game, which had me crawling back through quiet and dead areas just to find those things.  Only when you ultimately complete the game's story and go back to gather the rest does it feel in any way grindy to do so.

Much like in this game, when I need to get X number of Tier X mats, I don't go play the game look in my bag later and go 'oh that's nice, I have this.'  I go 'why the hell do I only have one of X!?' And then look up drop rates, drop areas and determine whether it would be easier to grind the gold or farm an area for them.  The game doesn't seamlessly reward anyone for playing it.  It uses those rewards to keep people playing so that their attention is on the game when the new items get thrown up on the gem shop.

You assume a lot about other people.

Aaaaand you assume alot about games.

But then your answer would be the same as mine in response to that which is,

I only go off of what I see.

Why is anything done in the most efficient way possible?

To get it done faster.

And when the name of the game is the shiny at the end...........I call that impatience.

Efficiency and gaming don't really go well together.

Who do you think has more fun in Skyrim for example?
The guy who spends all his time just farming materials to make daedric armor, or the guy who just says screw it and heads in the general direction of where he thinks some guy in a hut might have one daedra heart but then finds a cave with a long lost scroll that leads to a bandit camp containing rare loot that leads to a quest that........etc.

You get the point.

You're meant to have fun in games. You're meant to get lost in them.

My question to you is why do you have to be efficient? Are you late for something? Are you being judged?

That's why I think it all just boils down to impatience because at the end of the day this game has no sub fee and beyond the release of the remaining ascended pieces, we're looking at some pretty straight forward horizontal progression in the form of traits and skills.

So what's with the rush to the shiny?

I mean you're criticizing the variety in this game but look at how many open world bosses you just named. There's seven of em! I mean sure they get repetitive if you're doing every single one every day in the name of efficiency but what should you do when they start to get repetitive?

Stop doing them.

Go away for a while. Do something else in the game.

Besides, you're kind of contradicting yourself when you insult the game by calling it "checklist wars" whilst at the same time arguing for completing a goal in the most efficient way possible.

Because how do you efficiently reach a goal you've set for yourself?

You make a checklist. ;)

Drop the checklist. Go have fun. It's very liberating. Trust me. The game won't seem like it's trying to fight you anymore.

If it ever seemed that way, consider it the game's way of telling you "HEY, quit treating me like a second job."

Edited by Calypso589, 19 July 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#27 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

View PostCalypso589, on 19 July 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

snip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

"Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction."

http://www.thefreedi....com/impatience

"intolerance of or irritability with anything that impedes or delays; intolerance of anything that thwarts, delays, or hinders."

Wanting to get to the end isn't impatience.  Not wanting to be forcibly held back by a developer's artificial throttling is impatience.

By your definition, anyone who strives to achieve something is impatient.  Anyone with a sense of determination to accomplish is impatient.

And the world bosses aren't variety.  They are the same zerg, with varying chances of being knocked down.  They drop the same random stuff, and the mechanics employed to bring them down never change.  They have no AI.  They employ no strategy, nor do they require any.  And they can only be done once a day, so for anyone striving with determination, not impatience, has to log in once a day and kill them all.

I really like how your entire response is about me and lacking in any real analysis of the game.  This isn't a philosophical discussion on how to enjoy GW2.

It's a discussion on their upcoming changes and in this particular instance, how throttling the acquisition of material is limited by the developers, adding to the overall grinding nature of the game by requiring you to log in daily to maximize your ability to get crafting done with these new daily limitations.

#28 sfbrh

sfbrh

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:40 AM

On topic, I am somewhat annoyed about Ascended gear, due to the cosmetic nature of the endgame with the current system. If I want a different look I need to either completely destroy my last look, or get another ascended piece which is more grind so not that happy about that. If they sort out a skin locker then I would be happier about it, but it does somewhat annoy me as it is just more grind.

Otherwise I like their solutions, and am very excited about the game going forward. I like the crafting to 500, but again wish it wasn't for a different stat tier, but rather more cosmetic items.

Edited by Archaes, 19 July 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#29 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostMazingerZ, on 19 July 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

"Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction."

http://www.thefreedi....com/impatience

"intolerance of or irritability with anything that impedes or delays; intolerance of anything that thwarts, delays, or hinders."

Wanting to get to the end isn't impatience.  Not wanting to be forcibly held back by a developer's artificial throttling is impatience.

By your definition, anyone who strives to achieve something is impatient.  Anyone with a sense of determination to accomplish is impatient.

And the world bosses aren't variety.  They are the same zerg, with varying chances of being knocked down.  They drop the same random stuff, and the mechanics employed to bring them down never change.  They have no AI.  They employ no strategy, nor do they require any.  And they can only be done once a day, so for anyone striving with determination, not impatience, has to log in once a day and kill them all.

I really like how your entire response is about me and lacking in any real analysis of the game.  This isn't a philosophical discussion on how to enjoy GW2.

It's a discussion on their upcoming changes and in this particular instance, how throttling the acquisition of material is limited by the developers, adding to the overall grinding nature of the game by requiring you to log in daily to maximize your ability to get crafting done with these new daily limitations.

Well this entire post has been full of YOUR opinions so naturally i'm going to tell YOU why YOUR "determination" (nice word to hide behind) is making you so batty at the game.

"requiring you to log in daily to maximize your ability to get crafting done"

Sure if you want to maximize you ability you might feel obligated to log in every day.

But then that's my whole argument.

You're not required to do anything.

So I'll say it again, quit playing this game like it's a second job since most likely you'll get things done quickly and complain that there's nothing left to do. Same old story.

And there's plenty of variety in the open world bosses.

You just choose to do all of them all day every day.

quit it.

View Postsfbrh, on 19 July 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

MazingerZ making it his job to add nothing but negativity once again.

On topic, I am somewhat annoyed about Ascended gear, due to the cosmetic nature of the endgame with the current system. If I want a different look I need to either completely destroy my last look, or get another ascended piece which is more grind so not that happy about that. If they sort out a skin locker then I would be happier about it, but it does somewhat annoy me as it is just more grind.

Otherwise I like their solutions, and am very excited about the game going forward. I like the crafting to 500, but again wish it wasn't for a different stat tier, but rather more cosmetic items.

Do it like I will.

when the rest of ascended comes out make that set your end all be all. Something easily capable in all forms of gameplay. Something that's easy to tweak if need be.

After that if you want anything else just use exotics. Moreso for aesthetics when running around doing whatever. For when you just want to look different.

The way I see it ignorance is bliss and you can't tell who's wearing what in WvW so just run on about in your exotic gear on that day you want to look different and you'll do fine. lol

No sense trying to beat yourself up farming up gear after gear after gear just so you can be on par with someone whom you can't even tell if you're statistically better or not. lol

I say just make that first set your go to.

#30 sfbrh

sfbrh

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

Do it like I will.

when the rest of ascended comes out make that set your end all be all. Something easily capable in all forms of gameplay. Something that's easy to tweak if need be.

After that if you want anything else just use exotics. Moreso for aesthetics when running around doing whatever. For when you just want to look different.

The way I see it ignorance is bliss and you can't tell who's wearing what in WvW so just run on about in your exotic gear on that day you want to look different and you'll do fine. lol

No sense trying to beat yourself up farming up gear after gear after gear just so you can be on par with someone whom you can't even tell if you're statistically better or not. lol

I say just make that first set your go to.

Yea fair enough. That will be what I do. This is an imperfect solution to a dodgy design though. If they just add a skin locker (requiring one trans crystal to save a skin which can be drawn out unlimited times (aka achievement rewards) for that character only) then this issue goes away. Shouldn't be too hard really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users