Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Best path to exotic armor


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 simbola

simbola

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I want exotic armor on my level 80 guardian.. I think I'm mostly gonna be running builds similar to strife!a anchor build so with mostly berserker stats... I have about 45 gold and maybe another 25 gold in mats across my total of 2 charaxters, and I have basically no crafting stats (lvl 25 crafting of something)

Now in July of 2013, what are the best ways to obtain exotic armor quickly?

#2 Darkobra

Darkobra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1366 posts
  • Location:Scotland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Trading post. Crafting takes far more money if you're just looking for exotic armour. If you want crafting raised for unique crafting recipes, you're better off raising them anyway. But purely for just exotic armour, there are plenty of cheap pieces on trading post.

You can also hope the God temples are open and buy them with karma.

#3 Nyid

Nyid

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[HERO]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Run Citadel of Flames, paths 1 and 2 for exotic berserker armor. Buy exotic berserker trinkets from the TP. Alternatively, you could level a different character that is not level 80 by maxing jewelcrafting (one of the cheapest professions to level), and then create your own trinkets. This will be more expenisive, but if you're leveling them anyway it's something you'll probably end up doing eventually.

http://gw2crafts.net...craft_fast.html

#4 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Depending on how many Achievement point reward chests you've obtained, you may also have enough Badges of Honor to cheaply buy various Exotic armors from the Armor Master in WvW.

#5 turbo234

turbo234

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Location:Oak Creek, WI
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

you can buy a box of berserker's draconic armor for roughly 20gold on the tp.

#6 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

I just picked the best pieces from the Orr Karma Exotic merchants and purchased the rest from the trading post. Hardly an ideal configuration but I think the glass cannon builds aren't really worth it, in terms of margin of error and cost.

You should have more than enough gold to do that. :)

#7 turbo234

turbo234

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Location:Oak Creek, WI
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostCastaa, on 24 July 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I just picked the best pieces from the Orr Karma Exotic merchants and purchased the rest from the trading post. Hardly an ideal configuration but I think the glass cannon builds aren't really worth it, in terms of margin of error and cost.

You should have more than enough gold to do that. :)

You would think so until you actually run it.

#8 Calypso589

Calypso589

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postturbo234, on 24 July 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:



You would think so until you actually run it.

No need to.
Glass cannon is pretty self explanatory on its own. He's prob like me and not as comfortable with his ability to perform perfectly in every dungeon so that the DPS gained from sacrificing defense isn't wasted. I myself am a guardian and while it can be argued that they can do as much if not more dmg than a warrior, we have to work harder for it and is more demanding on the user. I don't see a point to that with all the defensive capabilities a guardian has. I run knights gear with zerker weapons and soldier runes. Gives me some nice defense without sacrificing too much offense so I'm useful to my group in either area. I can help keep the people doing the DPS lifting alive without slacking off on my own.

I would agree though that given the nature of the bosses, if you've got the mind and twitch for it, straight DPS is superior but not everyone is like that. ALOT of people aren't like that so its good to have an insurance policy for when the glass cannon in the group gets sneezed on: me. :)

But back on topic....

The slower but inexpensive route (to both gold and karma) is to run CoF P1 for the the gear/weapons you want. Hell, it could be done in blues. Lol

#9 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3314 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

View Postsimbola, on 24 July 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

I want exotic armor on my level 80 guardian.. I think I'm mostly gonna be running builds similar to strife!a anchor build so with mostly berserker stats... I have about 45 gold and maybe another 25 gold in mats across my total of 2 charaxters, and I have basically no crafting stats (lvl 25 crafting of something)

Now in July of 2013, what are the best ways to obtain exotic armor quickly?

Buying it straight is fastest, farming CoF is also very fast and you actually gain gold then instead of spending it.

#10 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3260 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostCalypso589, on 25 July 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

No need to.
Glass cannon is pretty self explanatory on its own. He's prob like me and not as comfortable with his ability to perform perfectly in every dungeon so that the DPS gained from sacrificing defense isn't wasted. I myself am a guardian and while it can be argued that they can do as much if not more dmg than a warrior, we have to work harder for it and is more demanding on the user. I don't see a point to that with all the defensive capabilities a guardian has. I run knights gear with zerker weapons and soldier runes. Gives me some nice defense without sacrificing too much offense so I'm useful to my group in either area. I can help keep the people doing the DPS lifting alive without slacking off on my own.

I would agree though that given the nature of the bosses, if you've got the mind and twitch for it, straight DPS is superior but not everyone is like that. ALOT of people aren't like that so its good to have an insurance policy for when the glass cannon in the group gets sneezed on: me. :)

In which case you don't buy exotics. If you don't feel comfortable with pure offence (for the locations where pure offence is sufficient), then you simply run defensive rares. And once you get better, you salvage said rares and buy the exotics you'll actually use.
No point in getting temporary exotics.


Slightly more on-topic:
Any reason why you actually want exotics? Rares are completely sufficient for the huge majority of content and we are, most likely, only a few months away from ascended gear so ...
Honestly, unless you are doing content where you get exotics as "rewards" (such as dungeons or WvW), I do not see the point in getting them now. And even if you are doing the above content, it might make sense to wait and see if they'll update that gear also.

#11 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Just to clarify my previous post, if you have reached at least 3000 Achievement points on your account, your reward chests will have given you 1100 Badges of Honor from the Achievement chests.  Using those, you can cheaply buy armor from the WvW vendor.  A full set (6 pieces) of exotic armor will cost only 5 gold 44 silver plus 950 badges.

I think this is the fastest and cheapest route to buy a full set of level 80 exotic armor, provided you've been playing long enough to amass 3000 APs.

Edited by kalendraf, 25 July 2013 - 02:39 PM.


#12 DarkGhostGizmoXx

DarkGhostGizmoXx

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Location:England
  • Server:Ruins of Surmia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Either buy it with gold from TP, or buy it from orr with karma.
Farming CoF is good if you can wait, because you get money as well as tokens.

For orr temples, decide which armor you want, then guest to a server with that temple open. (Use http://gw2state.com/temples.html to check for open temple)

#13 Calypso589

Calypso589

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostRitualist, on 25 July 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:



In which case you don't buy exotics. If you don't feel comfortable with pure offence (for the locations where pure offence is sufficient), then you simply run defensive rares. And once you get better, you salvage said rares and buy the exotics you'll actually use.
No point in getting temporary exotics.


Slightly more on-topic:
Any reason why you actually want exotics? Rares are completely sufficient for the huge majority of content and we are, most likely, only a few months away from ascended gear so ...
Honestly, unless you are doing content where you get exotics as "rewards" (such as dungeons or WvW), I do not see the point in getting them now. And even if you are doing the above content, it might make sense to wait and see if they'll update that gear also.

Well my point is that it wouldn't be temporary. Least not on my case. I just don't run full offense. Lol

As far as why he wants exotics, id say its 25% utility and 75% something to play for.
Your recommendation is sound but it'll just get boring if you stick with the wait and see approach all the time. You'll forget to actually play.

That said, the difference in power between rates and exotics should be greater and the utility of the latter should be more mandatory in higher level dungeons than it currently is.

#14 Kymeric

Kymeric

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1981 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

For what it's worth, there's a nice page on the wiki for planning out the best path to your exotics.

I usually find I have a mix of karma, badges, and gold ready for my characters when they hit 80, and end up getting the items a la cart from various areas depending on my currency mix.

#15 lmaonade

lmaonade

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Location:That one place with the thing
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

if you're willing to do dungeons, dungeons. assuming 3 paths a day for 180 (+extras) tokens a day, you can finish a set of exotics in a week, if you do multiple dungeons, even faster.

if you're more of a solo player, achievement points, go achievement hunting and reap the obnoxious amounts of Badges of Honor they give out, I've gotten like 500 so far I think and I'm only up to the 2.5k chest.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users