Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for my Support Warrior build, please.

warrior build help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kabaksi

Kabaksi

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

Original post was in the wrong forum.

Hello all. I am looking to build my warrior as a banner-warhorn support primarily for use in dungeons or open-world exploration with a party. I dived into the web but came up short as far as what I am trying to achieve. So, I’m coming to you guys.

With that being said, my warrior will have a warhorn off-hand. The warrior will definitely be traited 30 in Tactics (Vitality and Boon duration) and will take the major traits of:
Inspiring Banners: Banners apply bonus to larger area. Banners recharge 20% faster.
Quick Breathing: Warhorn skills recharge 20% faster. Convert one cond into boon.
Inspiring Battle Standard: Banners grant regen to allies.

I want to be able to dish out a respectable amount of damage (as a support warrior) and draw a small amount of aggro, but still maintain a fair amount of survivability. This means nonexistent to very-low toughness attribute paired with a mid-to-high vitality attribute.

For now, I am looking to use Exotic-level gear only.

---

With that out of the way…
1-Where should my other 40 trait points go?
2-Mainhand? Axe (Direct Damage) or Sword (Damage over Time)
3-Alternate weapon set? (Preferably Rifle/Bow)
4-Equipment and trinkets? (Magi, Rampager, Carrion, et cetera)
5-Upgrade Components? (Sigils, Runes, Jewels)
->Remember, I am looking for decent survivability paired with decent damage output.
->Enhancements in the support aspect would be considered and appreciated as well.

---

My take on it...

The Damage Hybrid warrior with Banner and Warhorn support.

1a-Trait 15 in Defense (Toughness and Healing Power) to get the minor trait of Adrenal Health (Regenerate Health based on Adrenal level). Take major trait of Dogged March (-33% of slows. Grants regen upon receiving slows).
1b-Trait 25 in Arms (Precision and Condition Damage). Take major traits of Deep Cuts (+50% Bleed Duration) and Blademaster (+10% Crit-chance with sword).

2-Sword for reliable bleed application. Makes best use of minor trait of Attack of Oppurtunity in Arms trait line. Compliments Blade Master.

3-Rifle for those bosses that just need to be ranged. Deals bleeds better than the bow. Compared to bow, less AoE means better single target damage output. 5 skill is useful crowd control if needed.

4a-Full Magi armour (Healing Power, Precision, and Vitality) to compliment the Regen provided by the banners, the use of critical hits, and added health for survivability.
4b-Sword-Warhorn will be Giver's to have +20% Cond. Duration (I believe an Exotic Giver's weapon will give +10%, but it might be 5% [Not sure]) to compliment use of conditions. Also increases crit-chance and health pool
4c-Bow will be Rampager's (Precision, Power, and Condition Damage)
4d-Emerald Pendant (Vitality, Healing Power, and Condition Damage)
4e-Magi's (Healing Power, Precision, and Vitality) trinkets

5a-Sigil of Blood on the Sword to improve survivability as well as make use of criticals. Deals extra damage when activated.
5b-Sigil of Water on the Warhorn to support group with health. Makes use of criticals as well.
5c-Sigil of Rage on the Rifle to increase damage output on bosses.
5d-6x Rune of the Eagle for +165 Precision and +8% crit-damage.
5e-Sapphire upgrade (Healing Power, Toughness, Power) on all trinkets except the Emerald Pendant to compliment build.

The mathematical jargon of my suggestion of this build with Sword and Warhorn.
Toughness: 1256
Armor: 2467
Health: 27,712
Effective Power: 1489.56
Effective Health: 37,236
Critical Chance: 59.67%
Critical Damage: +8%
Damage bonus to bleeding targets: 20%
Condition duration: +20%
Condition damage: 314
Bleed damage: 58.2 per stack
Healing power: 947
Regen: 248.375 hp per sec
Adrenal Health minor trait: 502.05 hp per sec
Sigil of Blood: 547.7 hp upon activation
Sigil of Water: 464.7 hp upon activation

http://gw2buildcraft.com/calculator/warrior/?8.0|c.1m.0.g.1m.0|0.0.0.0.0.0|1a.7h.1a.7h.1a.7h.1a.7h.1a.7h.1a.7h|1d.68.1a.68.1a.68.1a.68.1a.68.1a.68|0.p08.f0.u000.0|0.0|0.0.0.0.0|e

Any input at all will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for you time.

PS First post on this site. Glad to be here. Cheers.

Original post was in the wrong forum.

#2 guanlongwucaii

guanlongwucaii

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[LOO]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

the way the PvE game is built is such that glass cannon builds are optimal, and that defensive builds of any kind are suboptimal, as most of the survivability in dungeons consists of damage mitigation and avoidance through LoS, reflects and blocks (from guardians), rather than sponging damage. this is especially so because many mobs and bosses in the tougher dungeons such as Arah and high level FOTM have oneshot attacks, so building for tankiness is useelss and will actually hinder your party by slowing down kills and increasing chances for screwups to happen.

secondly, aggro mechanics are screwed up. while Toughness is supposedly one of the major factors in determining aggro, proximity and damage, among others, also have an effect on determining aggro; for this reason, mobs will not always aggro to you even if you run Toughness.

thirdly, conditions and other DoT are fairly weak in PvE as compared to direct damage, because conditions are not boosted by quickness, cannot crit, and don't work against a number of bosses. with that being said, sword is probably viable if you cannot stand the axe playstyle of autoattacking all the time; otherwise, axe is definitely the better choice. also, only rarely is there a need to range bosses. it is better to just get a range swap when appropriate rather than having a useless weapon to swap to.

with that being said, I can definitely see the point of traiting for warhorn (if you don't run with PoV guardians). but I do think that the banner regen trait is a waste of trait points as regen isn't a very strong defensive boon (just leave defensive boons to other classes), and healing power is TERRIBLE on PvE warriors, as it's simply not worth the stats you lose. gear-wise, full berserker is your best bet. of course, if you want a little more survivability, swapping out some berserker gear for knight's (power precision toughness) gear is a good compromise between damage and survivability.

traits-wise, I find that taking more than 10 points in tactics and any points in defense are a waste. defense is a pretty terrible traitline, and you are missing out on a LOT of offensive support by not taking empowered allies in tactics. if you still want to go 30 deep into tactics, the best compromise would probably be a 30/0/0/30/10 or a 0/25/0/30/15 for a balance between damage and support (I'm not sure about the exact builds, but there are posts in this forum). but as you progress you will probably find that it's just better to take DPS focused builds and kill things faster.

good luck.

#3 DarkHorseKnight

DarkHorseKnight

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

Glass cannon build are optimal sure but, they are really only optimal when running with other glass cannons + a guardian. If things take too long to die, or you dont have a guardian you can run out of heals very quickly. If you run a lot of pugs your not always going to have a good makeup. A good support warrior can make a run a lot smoother in the absence of an optimal party makeup.

Normally I would agree that the regen and especially healing power is craptastic, however I have yet to see anyone post on how the boost to healing power in the latest warrior update plays out. It could now be a somewhat viable boon.

Id definitely nix the eagle runes, IDK what Id put instead but eagle runes are not very good IMO.

Also IMO toughness is > Vitality as long as you 20k+ on health. So long as your toughness is not through the roof, you wont grab noticeably more aggro then others.

#4 Sithicus Dias

Sithicus Dias

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TAC]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

The stickied thread called Warrior Guide Index has some links to support guides other posters have already done, perhaps you can find something useful there:

Find it here: http://www.guildwars...or-guide-index/

#5 Snake of Nemesis

Snake of Nemesis

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NR]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hello Kabaksi! Glad your looking into more options than the traditional DPS builds out there. I'll try my very best to help you with what your looking in to making. First off, it's very respectable that you are looking into getting banners to grant Regen. I have used it for some time and it actually can help out a bit. Right! Let's start with what you requested, decent to good damage, survivability. Survivability can easily come from your gear and even some traits. Let's begin with Weapon selection!

Sword and Warhorn work quite well, but I would actually think about bringing the Axe along, the ability to stick on some vulnerability will help your group out, as well as having a good source of damage through auto-attacks. The only thing about both sword and axe would be the option of using your F1 skill. Sword is arguably worthless, and axe is very nice, yet can hinder you in regards to your healing skill (Healing Surge). Now for your alternate weapon, well thats a bit of a personal choice and how well it may or may not work for you. Most would say longbow or rifle, I would actually reccomend the greatsword. With the greatsword you could easily throw down hundred blades, and then swap back to offer your horn converts and good auto attack dps off the axe. This in a way falls in line with the current meta, so in that respect, you would actually be a reflection in the lines of how others also operate. I don't know if I would reccomend anything else, but I do know that Mace mainhand and such works quite well for keeping yourself alive. In the end, your choice would be based off of how much damage you think you would like to be doing, and also how often you see yourself going down to take a dirt nap. Obviously you would need some ranged on certain fights so just keep one handy :)

Traits a fun thing. I know now that people will go CRAZY with my reccomendations here but hell, why not see if it works for you. First off, the 30 in Tactics is cool. The only thing you 'could' change to maybe help other peoples dps is to replace the radius of banners (which is actually already quite large) for Empower Allies. That is of coarse a consideration if the group your in stays very near you :)

Now, this is where the complications and hardest choices come.

The standard response would be to sink 30 points into Strength for Berserker's Power, with the consideration that you will rarely if at all use your F1. With those 30 points you could also choose either Slashing Power, for a stronger Hundred Blades (if you went with greatsword) or Axe Mastery (if you find yourself using the axe very often). The 'adept' trait, well thats a difficult one, becuase if you were using the warhorn and greatsword, you wouldn't have any use for 'dual wielding'. I myself am drawn to Great Fortitude, so ok it's not amazing, but why not grab more tasty hp. If anyone else can think of better, knock yourselves out. If you decided to grab the 30 in Strength, you have 10 points left, which most people would probably go with Discipline. An extra 10% crit damage is always nice, plus again, the axe mastery let's say. As for your critical chance - well to be honest warriors have the easiest way to maintain at LEAST 20% extra through perma fury. That is not including a banner, which you could easily bring along Banner of Discipline to add about 8% more. With Gear and such you could easily get 75%+.

Now, the second option, with a bit less damage, but more survivability is to put 15 points in Defense of all things. This gives you Adrenal Health, which when paired with the regen from banners, food, and sigils... well you should be very tanky. Will you stand up all the time, maybe not, but it does all add up! That leaves you with 25 trait points, which would be useless in Strength or Discipline, well if your aim was to get the grandmaster trait. Instead one could perhaps put them into Arms. You would get 10% extra damage against bleeding foes, which in groups should be everything. Thats not 15% like the grandmaster, and you wont get the power from the strength tree, but it's still something. Add in Forceful Greatsword, which means every time you crit, especially with how high your crit chance should be, you will be getting some extra easily obtainable might stacks to further buff up your auto attack's with Axe. The Adept trait is questionable, I would personally go with vulnerability on crits, I like extra damage for myself and others. Now again, your damage won't be as high with this set up, but you will get some extra regen. A quick glance - Regen from Banner, Health from Adrenal Health which is not part of regen, Omnomberry pie which with the amount of crits you'll be getting should net you some extra easy health, and you could use healing signet if you really want even more regen. Most people dislike it considerably, but again, dat incoming hp. In the end, it's your choice on what exactly you want, warrior who really never has to worry about going down... or the possibility you may need to worry but more damage output.

Gear is a fun little thing as well. I would always choose full zerker JEWELS, if not jewelry as well. You mentioned you did not want a great deal of toughness, yet the more toughness you have, the more chance you may have to draw things attention, making you more likely to be tanking things. For this reason, and please I don't recall at all where I got that from, it was an older post on Vitality vs. Toughness or so, anyway, with that in mind... Knights armor is highly reccomended. PVT stuff is also excellent. I will post the Second set up with what I believe would suit what your looking for in stats and the like with gear reccomendations. All that's left is sigils and your utility skills. Utility skills, well I firmly believe that every build should have:
'For Great Justice', Banner of Discipline, Signet of Rage. With those you will give people regen, perma I believe, and have an EASILY maintainable perma fury as well as 8% (roughly) extra critical chance. Not to mention 15% critical damage too, yay! You still have a third utility, and thats all you my friend. Some form of stun break is always useful.

Sigils are always funny things. Let's assume you use the greatsword for HB spamming in between your axe/warhorn auto-attacking. Well the one downside to it is your rooted in place, meaning you more than likely will be getting hit. For that reason, I would go with the Sigil of Blood, to allow you to stand there through the full animation and with the extra incoming health give you more chance of completing the whole thing. When you switch to your warhorn and axe, which ok will take about 10 seconds or so but fair enough, it would be nice to help your damage some more, Sigil of Battle on the horn would fulfill that. And of coarse you could carry a second horn to give you stacks of power or precision if desired. On the axe itself, well that again is down to how you feel you are doing as far as staying alive, if you want more heals coming in, another blood. If you want more damage, Force baby! Anyway, time for me to link the builds, please keep in mind this is what I find to be helpful in respect to what I think you were wanting, if I am way off, please forgive me :)

Build Set up 1 - (30 Strength) -- *78% Crit chance with fury and banner* About 9% extra Critical Damage here. Near enough the same survivability.
http://gw2skills.net...Ut3oIa1CBUeBA-e

Build set up 2 - (25 Arms) -- *80% Crit chance with fury and banner*
http://gw2skills.net...Ut3oIa1CBUeBA-e

Must also apologize for such a massive post, but I feel supportive roles for warrior is drastically over-looked. Ok ok, they do the best damage arguably, but some people want different things from it, which in the end - experimenting and looking for more ways is never bad, just different! Please let me know what you think of it all though, and best of luck!

Edited by Snake of Nemesis, 15 August 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#6 thefairman

thefairman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

if you want to play a Support Warrior, roll a Guardian instead.

Support Warriors are outclassed fully by Guardians and don't fill the niche that only a Warrior can provide (extreme offensive support) and what makes them the best PvE class in the game.

Edited by thefairman, 16 August 2013 - 12:20 AM.

#7 DarkHorseKnight

DarkHorseKnight

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:25 AM

Generally you will find the attitude on guru to essentially reflect the above sentiment. In many cases this is in fact true that DPS or GTFO will get you through a dungeon in the least amount of time possible.

However while still knowing this is true and having played full zerk for a long time. If you run with PuGs and/or other people who are not full Zerker, you will find a support build quite enjoyable. I play a support build as a break from my zerker build and also usually when I pug, especially in certain dungeons. It can be quite effective at propping up a group that does not very good damage or giving a buffer to group who does not know fights very well.

That said a DPS and GTFO group will clear content as much as 2-3 times faster.

Edited by Ship Soo, 17 August 2013 - 12:05 PM.
removed quoted comment

#8 Tarug

Tarug

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[NP]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

However while still knowing this is true and having played full zerk for a long time. If you run with PuGs and/or other people who are not full Zerker, you will find a support build quite enjoyable. I play a support build as a break from my zerker build and also usually when I pug, especially in certain dungeons. It can be quite effective at propping up a group that does not very good damage or giving a buffer to group who does not know fights very well.

While I see your point, the first thing I want to point out is that there should be no zerker x support debate. A warrior in full zerker can still support very well. And, since there's no tanking in GW2, even if you chose to play any kind of support warrior, there's very little reason to use something else rather than zerker gear.

Also, I think the best way to help a group with low damage is to increase their damage (not only through Empowered Allies, banners and FGJ, but also through your own high DPS, might and vulnerability stacks etc.), so fights can resolve quickly and they have less time to screw up and die. Usually, the little regen you could get from banners just prolongs the ordeal, specially if players are not very good, have no idea what they are doing or have very little DPS, as they won't be benefiting much from the extra few seconds of life you're giving them.

Finally, imo the best buffer you can give to groups that don't know fights very well is to explain these fights and teach what they should expect and how to react. Yesterday a guildie and I were helping 2 pugs through their first time in AC story - one of them with less than 1k AP. By explaining how the fights work, where to LOS and how to avoid damage, the run was super smooth with zero deaths and everyone had lots of fun. Sure, it's a very easy dungeon, but new players can have a lot of trouble there if they have no clue on what to do. The other best buff I could give as an ele to that LB ranger in the group? Heals? Regen? Nope - lots of might stacks and my 2nd lighting hammer/FGS. He took them all the time, actually did real damage, blinded mobs and meleed the fights! Fast, easy and clean!

#9 Snake of Nemesis

Snake of Nemesis

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NR]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hello all. I am looking to build my warrior as a banner-warhorn support primarily for use in dungeons or open-world exploration with a party.

I would first like to start by humbly pointing out the OP's build goal. I myself do not use such a set up, and find myself much more inclined to put emphasis on damage. But regardless of what I or anyone else does, the OP came here for our help, specifically and in regards to a banner/warhorn support type build. Again! Whether 99% of the people who post on these forums agree that this goal is any good or not is completely irrilevant and should be put into the back seat in favor of actually giving the OP the knowledge and our combined experience in hindsight of his request, not our own way of playing. Of coarse our own playstyle and experience does play a massive role when factored into each of our individual responses, and I am not implying it is a P*ssing contest, quite the contrary, with our combined knowledge and experience, we had d*mn well be able to think outside of our own methods to aid and assist the OP in his inquiry. In that respect I can only hope some of us can accept the idea that while one way works the best, it will never be the only way. The OP wants a banner based, warhorn (convert conditions to be assumed) support type build. Unfortunately most if not all responses drastically deviate from helping the OP in finding the best way to make the build he wants to use work.

One could have simply told the OP, while they wouldn't suggest using such a build for reasons x,y and z, that the OP could still put 'x' gear on and make the best of it.

To continue just a bit more, I AM GLAD, Nike and whomever may ask, that he is interested in something different. Does it make the build he is interested in any worse or better, no, the build is what it is. Am I saying sprinkle enough diamonds over poo and expect it to smell any different?(childish in sorts, i do apolgise, the idea is sprinkle enough of any good thing over something inherently bad, it will still be bad) No, the disadvantages to any build should always be pointed out, and I completely respect the idea of giving the OP more options to look through. But what so many have seemingly forgotten is that not every player wants to play the way we all do. They find enjoyment in what we may see as a waste of time. And they are entitled to that, it is a game and there for enjoyment. If the OP put down he wanted a top line build, or wanted to know how to shift his gameplay style to something that did far better, he would have asked. But as quoted, he simply wants to know if what he is interested in can be improved upon, within the context that it is still what he is either comfortable with or enjoys. OP wants a support build, for better or worse, we need to swallow our pride or whatever it is that makes us feel the need to tell him it's not good, and just help him with it. The OP will come to find that yes, as he groups more and more with more experienced players, support and tanking will take a lesser role, or not even reall exist, but for now, to suit their request and not our own, we as a community should be able to provide what they have requested. I think that's about it. No need to start a dps or gtfo war, no need to slander people down a few notches becuase of how they enjoy their game, they ask for information, we should be able to help them out as much as possible in that. Kabaski, I can only hope that you will be returning to not only this thread but also the forums and not feel as though your desire to improve upon what you find most fun was chastised too harshly. Apologies for spelling mistakes. ^_^

Edited by Snake of Nemesis, 17 August 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#10 Ship Soo

Ship Soo

Ship Sooey

• Moderators
  • 471 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[ZPM]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would first like to start by humbly pointing out the OP's build goal. I myself do not use such a set up, and find myself much more inclined to put emphasis on damage. But regardless of what I or anyone else does, the OP came here for our help, specifically and in regards to a banner/warhorn support type build. Again! Whether 99% of the people who post on these forums agree that this goal is any good or not is completely irrilevant and should be put into the back seat in favor of actually giving the OP the knowledge and our combined experience in hindsight of his request, not our own way of playing.

I agree with this statement. The OP specifically asked for banner/support builds.

You can give your opinion 'that is krap; run DPS' but leave it at that. There will be no shouting down of other's opinions here.

As for the OP:

You are going to be losing some damage traits. I'd say compensate by taking full zeker gear.

Also, 30 in strength then seems mandatory. The remaining 10 could go in discipline for signet cooldown.

I'd take empower allies in Tactics; it's real good. That will likely be better than banner radius boost.

The warhorn trait can be very useful (and immensely powerful in Arah for skipping).

----

I think the thing to keep in mind, is it only costs 3.5 silver to retrait. Gear is also relatively cheap these days considering exotics only.
Misses the Dervish in the Worst Way

Want to chat or have a question? Feel free to PM me.

#11 guanlongwucaii

guanlongwucaii

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:33 AM

+1, if you want to support as warrior you MUST trait for warhorn. it's too good not to have, especially considering the fact that it's bugged right now and removes 2 (converts 1, cleanses 1) conditions per use. it's really strong, but the only problem is making space for it. assuming 30 in strength your trait setup is probably best to be 30/20/0/20/0 (which lacks crit dmg and weapon swapping) or 30/0/0/20/20 (which has crap crit%), though you can probably reach ~70% crit chance in organised groups which have good fury uptime along with food and banners.

#12 Sithicus Dias

Sithicus Dias

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

+1, if you want to support as warrior you MUST trait for warhorn. it's too good not to have, especially considering the fact that it's bugged right now and removes 2 (converts 1, cleanses 1) conditions per use. it's really strong, but the only problem is making space for it. assuming 30 in strength your trait setup is probably best to be 30/20/0/20/0 (which lacks crit dmg and weapon swapping) or 30/0/0/20/20 (which has crap crit%), though you can probably reach ~70% crit chance in organised groups which have good fury uptime along with food and banners.

This is probably more or less the best idea to play around with here. I would suggest however that the OP tries 30/0/0/20/20. Even with less Precision, you'll still be very viable. The Disc trait for quicker weapon swap cooldown is simply invaluable, almost no build should be without it. Plus the On Weapon Swap sigils are some of the most powerful in the game, such as Battle for more long duration Might stacks, or Energy for more endurance regeneration. Given the cooldown on Warhorn skills, you of course don't need to have it equipped all the time, so weapon swapping is ideal to allow you to do something else while you wait for the skills again. In a way, you could basically a run a watered-down version of the maximum DPS build in the game right now, and emulate the weapon sets, so Greatsword and Axe/Warhorn instead of Axe/Mace.

The posters above however are all correct in that you should just give things a go. Make sure also that with traits etc, you don't just try a single dungeon, give it time so you can get used to the build and give it your own personal touch when you start to get really confident with it.

Edited by Sithicus Dias, 18 August 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#13 Ship Soo

Ship Soo

Ship Sooey

• Moderators
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Speaking of warhorn, it's true value is only realized in condition heavy environments. From experience:

All of Orr with its perma chill, cripple, immobilize, bleed, weakness, burning. Heck, I take warhorn there when I am not even specced for it.

Grawl Shaman with its perma burning. Burning converts to Aegis...which is arguably the best boon to have, especially versus his agony arrow

Old Tom with his long lasting poison. Swiftness is also very nice in that whole dungeon.

Lupicus with his poison and the dire need for party wide vigor

I could go on, but there are area where it really shines.

You have to realize what you are giving up though, namely 15% critical chance and 10% crit damage. You can off set this when not using warhorn by taking empowered, which would give back 3 (always) and up to 5% damage (often times in parties). Is 5% damage better than 10% crit/15% crit chance? I dunno. Got to be close.

Hmm, you're making me want to try it again. I ran a 20 tactics build before this last patch; maybe I try it again.

#14 guanlongwucaii

guanlongwucaii

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

I think poison from Lupicus bolts is the least of your concerns, considering the fact that the attack already does like 10k damage... Warhorn is really good against Subject Alpha in groups where the fight is longer. Constant conversion of burning + vigour for the whole group which is excellent in P2/3. I don't actually run traited warhorn, but from my experience running PoV guardian in various dungeons condition conversion is very strong in many dungeons (also consider AC spider queen). The only dungeon where I see next to no need for condition removal is HOTW, but who cares about HOTW?

When not using warhorn you could trait for banner AOE and CD, but that trait isn't very useful (most big fights have long enough spaces between them and you should be meleeing so the increased range is useless). Desperate Power could be really strong but very difficult to maintain.

#15 Ship Soo

Ship Soo

Ship Sooey

• Moderators
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

For Lupi, I meant to say the high party vigor uptime is more important

#16 Kabaksi

Kabaksi

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

Greetings, everybody! I would like to first thank each and every one of you for your input. I am entirely grateful for your interest (and concerns) of my interest. I should add a small bit of context information to justify my reason to construct such a build as well as other miscellaneous, related information. I would like to start off by stating that I do have a traditional, cookie-cutter dps warrior alt. I am interested in this build primarily because my wife has picked up the game as well, and we play it for recreation whenever. She used to play WoW, but her control over her character in GW2 is still somewhat mediocre, possibly due to the initial learning curve of the controls as well as her slightly questionable platform. She loves GW2, especially exploration, and I hope to bring her into my dungeon runs (which is what I find most fun) in the future.

The primary goal of this build is to dish out some heals as well as take off conditions from her as she develops her reflexes to the game. You can argue that guardian can do this much better, but I do not have a max-level guardian that I can play around with. I was originally going for a shout-build, but I wanted to be able to grant perma-vigor for her to get used to dodging, and regen to have healing that was there, but not too paramount so she can make use of her #6 skill.

This build is also here for pug runs if need be, because we all know the varying effectiveness of a random pug group. I find my build (alterations later in this post) to be enough.

I have made many amends to my build, and you may hear it if you wish.

Traits:
Arms: 30; III, V, XI
+300 Precision, +300 Condition Damage
Minor: 33% to cause bleed on crit, burst skills have +10% crit chance, +10% damage to foes with bleed.
Major: +50 Bleeding Duration, 33% to cause vuln on crit, Critical Hits grant Triple Adrenaline
Reasons: These are the traits that I use to build my damage. Damaging conditions of bleeding and burning are made to use, and bleeding augments direct damage. Minor traits allow application of bleeds even when not using a sword (more on this later).

Tactics: 30; V, IX, XI Variation #1
+300 Vitality, +30% Boon duration
Minor: Augmented revival ability. Helps for what I am trying to accomplish.
Major: Banners apply bonuses to larger area, +20% recharge rate for banners. Warhorn convert cond into boons, +20% recharge rate for warhorn. Banners grant regen.
Reasons: This is the primary support traits used to accomplish my main reason for making this build. It grants perma-vigor, perma-regen, perma-swiftness. As well as one condition removal per 12 AND 16 seconds. Helps tremendously and is quite effective in supporting my wife, and arguably even small children (that I sometimes find myself with in pugs).

Tactics: 30; II, VI/IX, X Variation #2
+300 Vitality, +30% Boon duration
Minor: Augmented revival ability. There when you need it.
Major: +150 power to nearby allies, (+1% damage for every boon on you or warhorn trait), +10% damage to burning foes.
Reasons: This variation is used for exceptionally skilled pugs. Adds a helpful pad of damage with the damage rotation I am taking advantage of. Alternate between VI or IX depending on how much survivability needed.

Discipline: 10; VI
+10% Crit damage, +10% burst recharge
Minor: Grant 5 strikes of adrenaline
Major: Signets recharge 20% faster.
Reason: Helps tremendously with damage rotation utilized with variation #2 of tactics. Is an otherwise loose appendage of traits with variation #1.

Utility Skills
Healing Surge.
Banner of X and Y. I find Tactics useful for variation #1. Strength or FGJ for variation #2. Discipline on at all times.
Signet of Accuracy. Increased Precision. Active: Grant full adrenaline.
Signet of Fury. The magic starts here.

Equipment:
Full Rampager's (+Precision, +Power, +Cond. Dmg.) gear. This is used to further augment what this build is capable of damage-wise.
2 Superior Rune of the Monk, 2 Superior Rune of the Water, 2 Major Rune of the Water. This grants a total of +40% Boon Duration, more on this later. A small amount of healing power is there (whoopee).
T6 Snowflake trinkets. +10% Boon Duration.
Magi Spineguard. Well...
Weapons:
Rampager Sword with Sigil of Earth. Leap skill. Bleeds, bleeds, and bleeds. And a final thrust.
Rampager Warhorn with Sigil of Accuracy/Corruption/Force. Accuracy to increase precision; used when in skilled/organized groups. Corruption for increased condition damage; used at 20 stacks of corruption or in a slightly skilled/organized groups. Force for increased direct damage for the groups that are just plain bad.
Rampager Longbow with Sigil of Flame. Chance to cause AoE damage and burning. Compliments warrior bow perfectly.

Something that absolutely needs to be pointed out.
71% crit chance (perma-fury counted and without stacks of accuracy)
+80% Boon duration.

Damage-rotation
Primarily used to deal an exceptional amount of damage, and best used with Variation #2.
Activate Signet of Fury (if not in cd). You have your 54sec. fury, 54sec. 3 stacks of might, and 54sec. swiftness boons. IMPORTANT: On a skill that has a 48sec cooldown (thanks to traits).
Get three bars of adrenaline with longbow equipped. This can be done with activating Signet of Accuracy, healing with Healing Surge, or spamming longbow's AoE #2 and #4 skill into a mob.
At full adrenaline, use F1's burst primarily to set up fire field. Three bars is necessary to effectively utilize what comes next.
Fire Longbow's #3 blast finisher into firefield. Area Might (3) for 36secs.
Deploy banner (if not in cd) into fire field. Blast Finishers. Area Might (3) for 36secs. You should be gaining adrenaline during this time thanks to longbow's F1 and #3.
FGJ if you have it on. Gives Fury and Might (3) for 45secs to party.
Switch to Swordhorn. Use Warhorn #5. Blast Finisher. Area Might (3) for 40secs.
Use Sword #2. Leap Finisher. Self-Firefield. Will grant self might every time when struck. This will be your marker if you have timed everything right.
Spam #1 and throw in a #3 if target has less then 50% health until three bars of adrenaline are achieved.
Burst Sword F1. A great move within this build. Immob is very resourceful for AI that is seeking to get in range of target. Stops them completely if they are not able to do so. If you are target, walk through the monster and then activate. I often find that the monster will be stuck looking away if you time it right and you are behind them.
Rinse and repeat.
Horn #4 is purely there to survive. Condition rinse every 12 secs.

The magic of this build:
So.. what? What makes this build different? Why does Kabaksi like this build so much?
The answer is simple. The versatility is phenomenal. You can switch between a damage-support build to an augmented damage-lessened support build by rearranging three traits. On. The. Fly. This is a pretty big deal if you find yourself switching between two fairly different play-styles without character swapping or retraiting all the time. You can drop a competent warrior of this build anywhere, and he'll have his place. He's effective at skipping segments (Perma-Vigor and Perma-Swiftness for the entire team? Come on. This is good for the team that needs a little more survivability during fights, like Lupi, too). He is effective at condition removal. He is effective at fiving your small child regen. Perma-Fury is also there. Did I mention perma-vigor? There is a certain luxurious feel to having the ability to dodge every five seconds. This build can give the party 12 stacks of might during the first damage rotation. And bring it up to 21 stacks of might for the party. You can maintain ~15-20+ party might by yourself depending on what scenario you find yourself in. Fire field and signet of fury pretty much guarantees that you can have 25 stacks of might at all times. If you got a party that knows that putting blast finishers into your fire field is a win. Game. I am stacking-sigil confident of this build, even for pugging. This warrior build demonstrates a fair amount of damage, and well as exceptional team support. And best of all, I find it fun to use.

Until next time.

Edited by Kabaksi, 21 August 2013 - 04:05 AM.
removed double post

#17 Sithicus Dias

Sithicus Dias

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Well, I don't think the OP needs help anymore ;)

Also, you seem to have double posted your last post in the same post.

One thing I do like to point out to people when they finalize a new build is to have a plan with what to do next. One of the reasons my interest in this game keeps being renewed is because I enjoy playing around with builds. Admittedly I think once you become confident enough to successfully pull of a build that is min/max'd for damage (like the 30/0/0/10/30 Warrior Zerker meta), I think that's sort of the Apex for a Warrior, as a result I tend to Main on my Ranger now. Eventually you'll feel less and less need for support, and you'll be able to efficiently burn through things.

However, until everyone reaches their own personal glass ceiling for Warriors, I think it's important to plan what direction you want the build to go in. I presume gradually you'd like to move away from support slightly, and instead of things like perma-vigor, you can seek to amplify party and personal DPS. Go have fun, and keep thinking of ideas! :)

Edited by Sithicus Dias, 20 August 2013 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users