26 replies to this topic

#1 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

Characters that are one year old will receive a Mini Queen Jennah, a 24-hour Birthday Booster, and a Scroll of Experience.

13 characters hitting 1 year mark, 13 Jennahs??

If one can't be innovative, at least have a few Minis in the pool of rewards and let people get one randomly from a birthday gift box like GW1.

Also, what are the other two items? Scrolls for Alts is not a bad idea.

But, what's a 24 hour birthday booster? Why not offer like 1 free bank or inventory tab?

ANET be creative!

Love the artworks. My Desktop theme gets enriched with every Living Story addition. Love it!!!

Again, ANET if you wanna put RNG in the game, put it here. <lol>

#2 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

But, what's a 24 hour birthday booster? Why not offer like 1 free bank or inventory tab?

Because a new bank tab is 5$, and a 'birthday booster' is worthless crap nobody will ever buy.

#3 malevolence

malevolence

Vanguard Scout

• Community Contributors
  • 422 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LMBO]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

View PostZhaitan, on 13 August 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

If one can't be innovative, at least have a few Minis in the pool of rewards and let people get one randomly from a birthday gift box like GW1.

ANET be creative!

Love the artworks. My Desktop theme gets enriched with every Living Story addition. Love it!!!

If it was RNG, then people will complain that it is RNG. But I have a better solution. Make Mini Queen Jennah account bound so you receive only 1 per account, and for each character birthday give a RNG box for minis (like in BLC). I think this would be fair. I get your point, why I want to have duplicate minis, it doesn't make sense at all, unless it counts points for the achievements but I doubt it will.

EDIT: About the bd booster, it can be that the booster give you 200% MF, +% of gold drops etc, but we don't know yet what exactly it is.

Edited by malevolence, 13 August 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#4 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostZhaitan, on 13 August 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

ANET be creative!

What just like Guild War 1 birthday presents? http://wiki.guildwar...irthday_Present

#5 turbo234

turbo234

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostAzure Skye, on 13 August 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

What just like Guild War 1 birthday presents? http://wiki.guildwar...irthday_Present

I'm..not sure what you're getting at. That's what he just said.

#6 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Postturbo234, on 13 August 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

I'm..not sure what you're getting at. That's what he just said.
i read it half way thru (my bad) but they arent a lot of character models most of them are on the Trading Post or achievement rewards. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mini

Edited by Azure Skye, 13 August 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#7 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors
  • 8118 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yep...  when it was mentioned by a dev a long time ago that there would probably be birthday gifts in GW2, I knew I was going to buy a bunch of character slots right away.

Now, I understand I took a risk, and apparently it did not pay off, but if the plan was always to make all BDay gifts the same, I wish they would have said that earlier.

Edited by Mordakai, 13 August 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#8 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

Creative Quaggan

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Now I understand why they could care elss about the character slot bugs at the release. ha in our face!

#9 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Birthday gift is meh to me. I wasn't exactly expecting a legendary in my mail box.

However I think a unique title, a new one with every year spent on that toon, would have been better than a booster.

Any dumb fack can join a guild and get whatever boosts he/she needs so the booster is just meh, unless the boost itself is like....ruh-tard strength activated. lol

Yeah gimme a title. Something like "I surivived..."

And what is the obsession with minis anyway?

NOONE uses them and they're too damn small to be worth showing off anyway (prob the reason noone uses them lol).

I look at a mini queen jennah and i'm like "what am i supposed to do with that? That's not worth squat."

It's boring.

To each their own I guess. A collector will waste (in my opinion) countless dollars to obtain a unique figure that barely stands above his toon's ankles.

They'd be more fun if you didn't have to spend money on em whatsoever. Some of those explorer achievements would benefit from a guaranteed mini of some sort. Make em more enticing to do. Make JPs have a rare chance of dropping one.

Buying them?

PASS.

Birthday Gift Grade: Roseanne Barr singing the national anthem but you have earplugs in so it's not all that bad.

Edited by Calypso589, 13 August 2013 - 08:42 PM.

#10 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostMordakai, on 13 August 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

Yep...  when it was mentioned by a dev a long time ago that there would probably be birthday gifts in GW2, I knew I was going to buy a bunch of character slots right away.

Now, I understand I took a risk, and apparently it did not pay off, but if the plan was always to make all BDay gifts the same, I wish they would have said that earlier.
Because you thought you or people thought were going to get rich from waiting and putting the mini in storage and let them be your rain day fund later when people are slowly leaving the game. Yea, i know what guild wars 1 minis did to the economy there, the people that were here first in game got rich from selling their mini first as year progressed with each correlating year as game got older in spamadan to get a lot of gold when the game got older and rarer from each character they created from beta or headstart as people wanted to spend money to get them first and show that they can buy it, wealth status and veteran to the game?

New game, new rules as people said from the from the people from beta and head start. We dont know, if they are account bound/character bound or not. People took chances to gamble on it,we should find out soon, if it was bust or not, time will tell.

Edited by Azure Skye, 13 August 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#11 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostAzure Skye, on 13 August 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Because you thought you or people thought were going to get rich from waiting and putting the mini in storage and let them be your rain day fund later when people are slowly leaving the game. Yea, i know what guild wars 1 minis did to the economy there, the people that were here first in game got rich from selling their mini first as year progressed with each correlating year as game got older in spamadan to get a lot of gold when the game got older and rarer from each character they created from beta or headstart as people wanted to spend money to get them first and show that they can buy it, wealth status and veteran to the game?

New game, new rules as people said from the from the people from beta and head start. We dont know, if they are account bound/character bound or not. People took chances to gamble on it,we should find out soon, if it was bust or not, time will tell.

make it varied AND account bound then, that way people can get different minis without destroying the economy, or hell, for those who care about the collector title, either have it not count towards the title or allow people to choose their minis from a list

#12 Opportuniste

Opportuniste

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[DC]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

I liked how the original Guild Wars handled birthdays for each character in the game. Does it really bother people if not everyone receives the same thing? It'd be lame to get the amount of characters you have in Queen Jennah in a mini-form.

#13 Gecko

Gecko

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I guess I will wait and see how this turns out, before I rant away on some forum.

#14 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors
  • 8118 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I really don't see the point of character birthdays if the gifts are the same.

Might as well be account bound gifts for all your characters when your account turns a year old.  That way people who deleted characters aren't screwed.

#15 Castaa

Castaa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

I've never quite understood people's fascination with minis.  I don't even see people using them game.

But I agree, it's silly to have the same reward for all characters.  Maybe just do it by account date.

#16 Traveller

Traveller

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

I have Chauncey von Snuffles III, I don't need any more minis. Give me gems or something.

#17 christiansoldier

christiansoldier

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

I think what they wanted to do was avoid the birthday controversy from gw1.  I remember a lot of people posting on forums that it was unfair that some people would get windfall gains because they created their characters earlier.  They would receive their minis before others and sell them for huge gains.  1 year later when someone else get the same mini it sells for a fraction of the amount.  They probably knew that a lot of people prepared for this scenario in GW2 and bought a lot of character slots hoping to profit from new players or people joining late.  By giving everyone an account bound identical mini is one form of fairness.  It wouldn't be my first choice but I can see what the motivation is.

#18 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Account bound? Fine. I can agree with that. The exact same mini? Nope. Not buying it. I don't want 8 Jenna. Hell I don't even want ONE!

#19 christiansoldier

christiansoldier

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostDarkobra, on 14 August 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

Account bound? Fine. I can agree with that. The exact same mini? Nope. Not buying it. I don't want 8 Jenna. Hell I don't even want ONE!

How would you reconcile the problem of not being able to get all of the minis if they are account bound and non tradable?  Lets assume there a 10 minis, (A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J).  Let say someone with 10 slots gets 3As, 2Ds, 1E, 1F, 2Hs and 1J.  Since they are account bound you could not buy the missing minis.  All you could do is buy more char slots and hope to get the missing one 1 year later and not get more duplicates.  I think if Areanet did this the forum would explode with complaints.

#20 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:42 PM

I sure as hell didn't get every single mini in GW1 and had no problems with it. I did have a few duplicates that I just gave away instead of selling so friends could fill their HoM.

Variety is a good thing. You get more excited when you get one you didn't have. This is just like "Everyone gets a medal for showing up and there are no real winners!"

#21 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostTevesh, on 13 August 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Because a new bank tab is 5$, and a 'birthday booster' is worthless crap nobody will ever buy.
Being somewhat less cynical, additional storage is possibly the only thing in the gem store that has a cost per unit to the company (everything else has a development cost, but once it's developed it doesn't cost them much more to spawn ten million of a particular item than one).

As Mordakai said, though... there's not really a lot of point to having it be character-based if the rewards are all the same. The birthday booster, maybe... but there's going to be little point to having multiple Jennahs when everyone is going to have them a year after they've started. And when it comes to the scrolls - sooner or later, even the most obsessive altaholic just isn't going to have any more characters to instantly level to 20, and some of us have already got all the characters we're going to want, short of new professions and/or races being introduced, to higher than level 20.

One thing that might help is if it turns out the gift is set by the calendar year, not by the age of the character - so that, say, every character hitting their birthday in the next year gets a Jennah, but after August 25th 2014, characters begin receiving the new miniature regardless of whether they're one year old or two. This would allow the glut of Jennahs to have an opportunity to be redistributed to newer players.

Without that, or if they're account-bound, though... most Jennahs are just going to end up in the trash.
Got any comments or queries about moderation in one of my spheres of responsibility? Make sure I get the message!

#22 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

In an effort to make sure that there are no special snowflakes in this game, this is not an unexpected turn of events. The whole philosophical idea behind much of GW2's design is that no one should be any more efficient, better, important or lucky than anyone else for anything. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that there would be absolutely no chance for getting something of different value or rarity in the form of birthday presents. And the only way someone as unimaginative and unoriginal as the ANet devs could do this was to make one present for everyone.

If you want something special - you need to make sure you put in your daily grind of tokens/currencies so that everyone can be completely equal - much like a very good short story called "Harrison Bergeron" by famed author Kurt Vonnegut. I'm sure someone might be able to appreciate the similarities between the story and this game.

Edited by Kattar, 19 August 2013 - 08:19 PM.
We do not discuss mod actions in public.

#23 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors
  • 8118 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Mhenlo:  except weapon skins and minis do drop in the game rarely, so only a few get them.

Thus the title of the thread:  RNG only where we don't want it.

#24 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:54 AM

View PostMordakai, on 19 August 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Mhenlo:  except weapon skins and minis do drop in the game rarely, so only a few get them.

Thus the title of the thread:  RNG only where we don't want it.

I would be willing to that they would take away those drops too if they could. Although, considering I have over 700 hours logged and never even sniffed an exotic drop or mini, I am willing to bet that those drop rates are so low you could effectively say you have 0% chance of getting those drops.

Anyways, it doesn't change the reasons why you will see less RNG where you want it unless you are willing to spend money or grind your face off - because that, in ANet's eyes, seems to be the only fair and profitable way of doing things to ensure no one gets "lucky" enough to be better than anyone else.

#25 Lady Rhonwyn

Lady Rhonwyn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWO]

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

View Postdraxynnic, on 15 August 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Without that, or if they're account-bound, though... most Jennahs are just going to end up in the trash.

With trash you mean the mystic toilet?  Because that's where mine will go if I get more than 1...  First, I don't really care for human-minis (I prefer beastly minis), and I most certainly don't need 16 of them...  (over the course of a year...)  And about that scroll... I simply do not see any use for that.  Yes, maybe the first one, you might still have a less than lvl20 around.  But once that one reaches 1, will he also get one of those scrolls?

#26 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

Would gladly play the Mystic Forge if it made a mini-Jenna that danced in a bikini.

/sexism
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#27 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostMhenlo, on 19 August 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

The whole philosophical idea behind much of GW2's design is that no one should be any more efficient, better, important or lucky than anyone else for anything.

What is this? A Communist Manifesto? <lol>

I have decided to wait and see how this thing eventually rolls out. A lot can get lost because of multiple communication channels and interpretation. ANET folks are not that dumb to instigate a Jennah protest at LA with everyone w/ a Jennah mini rolling it out near the Trade Forum Waypoint. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users