Of the six things listed there, most of them actually aren't that bad.
1. Not entirely relevant. You can still do higher fractals as long as someone else in the group has a high enough fractal level to start it; the only thing that will matter is your infusions. You're still the same player, with the same skill and competence. Besides, AFAIK, ascended trinkets are account bound until you equip them, so you can get them with your "main" fractal character and soulbind them to an alt.
2. I kind of understand this gripe, but really, ascended trinkets are only superior to exotic by a very small margin. Assuming you're using berzerker's trinkets and back piece, all exotic and with exquisite ruby jewels, switching each of those to ascended will net you a grand total of... 62 power, 30 precision, and 8 crit damage. Those stats will make a difference in your damage output, sure, but it's not like you're going to be horribly crippled by not having ascended gear.
3. The bonus chest makes sense, imo, since it deters you from spending a significant portion of your playtime doing mind-numbingly easy events to farm rares. Not to mention, having such an easy method of getting so many rares would cheapen their value. (And on a somewhat related note, you'd end up with an even bigger price gap between rares and exotics [concerning gear that can be bought with gold, not tokens, of course].)
4. Having WvW ranks for each individual character kind of makes sense. After all, you'd probably want to play one character differently from how you would another. For example, I might want to make a thief focusing on guard damage and defense for taking supply camps, whereas I'd have my warrior or someone else focused on running to and from a supply camp to build up siege at a keep. However, I do think WvW rank should be account wide, but WvW upgrades (as in the combination of upgrades you take) should be per character. The same amount of world ability points for all characters on your account, just different allocations of those points across your characters.
5. ..I actually have nothing to say about this, as I have no idea what these crystals are.
6. I don't like this either. The update to dungeon rewards severely cuts into how players can "play their way," as ANet has touted their game to be friendly towards. It's especially foolish, considering AC rewards more than more difficult dungeons like CM, TA, and SE.
But for the most part, I don't think GW2 is that unfriendly towards alts. I think the main problem is really just in exotic gear being so expensive in the first place.
Side note, I definitely agree that legendaries should be account bound. Working on my Juggernaut right now, and having a really tough time deciding if I should give it to my main (a warrior, who wouldn't be using it that often), or my guardian alt.
Arewn, on 13 August 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:
Ah~ I remember playing other MMOs, where any form of progress was bound to a single character, no exception. Gear, rep, dungeon progress, achievements, pets, mounts, everything, yet alts were/are still widely popular. Now people complain about the speed-bump character bound progression that was introduced in GW2 due to the game's lack of means to feel invested in a particular character.
Oh but wait, GW1 purest know the true form of gaming, and anything different is the work of the devil, and only they can dictate how people "should" play the game (after all, anyone else saying it is just a fanboy). So never mind, bar what I said before, almost forgot about that.
..uhh, so you're saying GW2 players that haven't had a lot of MMO experience should be fine with grinding lots of stuff for every alt, because you had to do it back in the day?
That's like saying children today shouldn't have the luxury of air conditioning because their parents/grandparents didn't have it.
If you want to grind to invest in an alt, then by all means, grind for a shiny weapon skin or some cultural armor for that alt. I don't understand why you'd be upset when people object to having their play style restricted.
Edited by ben911993, 13 August 2013 - 10:51 PM.