Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

First Birthday Gift


  • Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Senatic

Senatic

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1913 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

So year one has passed and upon logging in this morning I received my 5 first birthday gifts on the characters I made on the 25th of august last year.

I wanted to get peoples opinion on their contents, for those of you who haven't yet recieved or opened your gifts they contain the following:
  • Mini Queen Jennah (account bound & can't be put in the mystic forge.)
  • Experience Scroll (Double-click to advance a character to level 20)
  • Birthday Booster (a 100% boost to magic find, WvW rank gain, PvP glory gain, experience from kills, and gold from kills.)
I'm fairly happy with the Experience Scrolls and the birthday booster, seeing as they last for 24 hours each, but I'm scratching my head over the fact that the mini is, once again, account bound. Although not unexpected I fail to see the reason for it. Why is ArenaNet so keen on keeping us from trading our minis? 90% of them that I have gotten over the year are account bound and I find myself never taking them out, they're just sitting in the bank completely forgotten.

Also the fact that everyone gets the same mini is a bit weird to me as a Guild Wars 1 veteran where the mini you got was a random out of a pool of minis specific to each year. So now I have 5 account bound Mini Queen Jennah.... What is the purpose of this?

Edited by Senatic, 25 August 2013 - 10:28 PM.


#2 Inraged Twitch

Inraged Twitch

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 412 posts
  • Location:T-Town WA
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[MGW]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

they gave us the min jennah because they released all the other minis either in achievements or from the mini pack in the store I assume.

This b-day was a major let down imo coming from a gw1 player.

Edited by Inraged Twitch, 25 August 2013 - 08:28 AM.


#3 iplayBANJO

iplayBANJO

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Do you actually get a gift for each character? Because my mail said:

Quote

Congratulations! It's the anniversary of your account activation, and in recognition of your last year of historic deeds in Tyria, here is a gift from us to you. Thanks for playing Guild Wars 2!

I only have one character that I made immediately so I can't verify, but it sounds like the gift is per account. Which would make sense as well base on the actual items inside the gift.

#4 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3263 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

The only thing I wish is that they'd finally implement a unified system for this kind of rewards: with the achievement points one being currently my favourite one. Achievements allow you to get as many skins as you want from any location in the world. That's followed by the HoM system which also allows you to get as many copies of an item as you want, but you need to visit a specific location to get them. And then there's the stupid DDE system where you only got one mini and that's it. I guess the birthday one is slightly better than the DDE system, but it's still miles behind AP/HoM.

I am perfectly fine with giving us one skin (as shitty as that woman is), I am perfectly fine with the item being account bound: I'd just like to see the ability to make an unlimited number of these items and that birthdays wouldn't be tied to a character, but rather the account creation.



EDIT:

View PostiplayBANJO, on 25 August 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Do you actually get a gift for each character?

Reddit says it's per character:
http://www.reddit.co..._birthday_gift/
http://www.reddit.co...resent_spoiler/

Edited by Baron von Scrufflebutt, 25 August 2013 - 09:09 AM.


#5 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

    Creative Quaggan

  • Members
  • 935 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Account mini I get it. But... 5 Queen Jennah's I do not. IF they already decided to make them account bound I have no idea why they didn't make a full batch/set of year-1 minis since they can't be TPable

#6 Ratzing

Ratzing

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

'Cause some people would get something that they feel is crappy, and they could get 3 of it due to RNG mechanics, and there would be nothing they could do about it.

And if it would be tradable, people would just trade them to make profit, and again, some people would be screwed over as they would get crap minis and get 5 gold from all of them, and other guy would get 50 gold from one.

Finally, getting finantial edge over other people just 'cause you mindlessly created 5 chars at once seems like a cheap blow.

BTW before someone tries with argument "why does it hurts you that someone will make money even if you didn't?" It would hurt me, as I play the TP to make money, and sudden influx of minis and people getting rich would possibly screw over few of the markets I use, or other people use.

In summary I'd say that I'd much rather have all people to be 'meh' about their gifts than x% of the playerbase gettin' lucky and having the times of their lives, x% being bummed out 'cause they got 8 charachters and got nothing of value. x% being bummed out 'cause they didn't rush out with creating ALL OF THE CHARACTERS, and x% not giving a f... care.

Edited by Ratzing, 25 August 2013 - 10:30 AM.


#7 dzanikken

dzanikken

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

It is a GIFT!! Why does everything have to have some purpose?! Why does it need to be discussed in great length, or even encourage heated debates?

It's a gift, you either like it or you don't, you move on. Period.

#8 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

Mini trading was a fun thing in GW1. I really don't know why anyone thinks that trading mini's in GW2 would be a bad thing. So far, they really serve no purpose. It's a shame that this is yet another thing that GW1 did well that GW2 decided to do poorly.

#9 Hybarf Tics

Hybarf Tics

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 1000 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

View Postdzanikken, on 25 August 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

It is a GIFT!! Why does everything have to have some purpose?! Why does it need to be discussed in great length, or even encourage heated debates?

It's a gift, you either like it or you don't, you move on. Period.

Then you haven't been part of GW 1 have you? The gifts back then were minis but out of a few dozens so you didn't know what you were gonna get. They all had different values on the game market. You could gift them or sell them. Now you can't do any of that not only that but everyone gets the same one. After one year they could have perhaps even thought carefully about what to put in. Didn't it even occur to them that maybe some of us all our characters are level 80 and all this becomes pointless as if we didn't get a thing.
For me and a lot of GW 1 player this birthday gift they could have kept because it's all going for trash.
Many of us don't collect minis anymore there's no point or even enjoyment out it. The minis are now only a cash cow consumer product for the main cash vault at Anet.

Did you say gift I thought you said waste basket. :zip:

Edited by Hybarf Tics, 25 August 2013 - 01:17 PM.


#10 Arfuriz

Arfuriz

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 45 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[CL]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostSenatic, on 25 August 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Well they can't profit off it, so I guess no point in putting much effort into it.

Out of topic:

This maybe shocking to you (or not if you're not naive) but every game and every gaming company needs to make a profit.


I really don't understand this notion that Arenanet and others like Blizzard or any other gaming company are just some greedy bastards because they try to have a profit or make the player spend money on a game.

For someone to spend money the developer needs to make a good product, this is true for every product be it a game, a car, a movie, whatever.


Now of course there are companys that don't care about making a quality product, they only care about making a quick profit with a bad product.

Saying or implying that Arenanet is one of them is to me profoundly unjust and hurtful to the developers dedication and shows a profoundly lack of knowledge of the game you're playing.


On topic:

I agree with dzanikken that sometimes people overthink this stuff too much.

The type of reward we received it's pretty much on par with other games out there.

It's a small vanity item. It's not the greatest thing in the world. It's symbolic. A token of appreciation for playing the game. That's all there is to it.

#11 purper dawn

purper dawn

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Location:in a cage made of kittens and lunacy
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[ANBU]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

to me it's like this:grandma hands you a fugly sweater for x-mass.you dont say what the fck is this sh*t?! but put it away and hope for something better next year.

about the purpose of mini's : mine's is to accompany me on my adventures and compliment my overall style.
it's what there ment for,nothing else.

#12 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3314 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postpurper dawn, on 25 August 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

to me it's like this:grandma hands you a fugly sweater for x-mass.you dont say what the fck is this sh*t?! but put it away and hope for something better next year.

about the purpose of mini's : mine's is to accompany me on my adventures and compliment my overall style.
it's what there ment for,nothing else.

But couldn't they give something better to do that?
I mean seriously, Queen Jennah? Howmuch did you seer or even hear her during this year? 20 lvls in human storyline and that's it...
Not to mention I'll have 11 of them in my bank this evening, which is simply retarted, it isn't hard to make a couple of em and let people choose which one they'd like...

#13 Senatic

Senatic

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1913 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostArfuriz, on 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Out of topic:

This maybe shocking to you (or not if you're not naive) but every game and every gaming company needs to make a profit.


It is not shocking to me, and as you know next to nothing about me I will excuse the assumption made about my mentality towards the cash shop, however misguided it was.

View Postpurper dawn, on 25 August 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

to me it's like this:grandma hands you a fugly sweater for x-mass.you dont say what the fck is this sh*t?! but put it away and hope for something better next year.

Except in this case it is not your grandmum but a random stranger who you, or someone else, have paid real money towards for their production of said sweater. Your analogy is flawed as it assumes you have no right to complain, when in reality your and the community's money spent gives you every right to critisize.

Note that it doesn't give you the right to have your way every time as you are still part of a larger community, but you do have the right to voice your opinion.

Edited by Senatic, 25 August 2013 - 01:45 PM.


#14 Nyid

Nyid

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[HERO]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Anyone know if the Queen Jennah Minipet can be thrown in the Mystic Forge? That could end up being kinda alright. I found the experience scroll arrived much too late to be of any use. If somebody made 5 characters when the game first came out (I did it mostly to ensure I got the names I wanted) what are the odds that 1 year later they won't all be over level 20. Just a silly item really. Maybe if it could also award skill points at a similar quantity or some such thing. Then there's the birthday booster. I find these to be pretty awesome! 24 hours of great bonuses per booster will be very beneficial for pvp and wvw influence gain. I'll probably use mine on pvp, since it seems that the glory and birthday booster stack for +150% glory gain! Rediculous! That'll be 120 hours of +150% glory gain for me :D

#15 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4913 posts
  • Location:ArenaNet's Pantry
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

I am under the impression that all the first birthday mini will be Jenna??

I think this is a terrible idea, hence i am hoping it will be changed. so, i am not going to open the birthday gift yet, since i do not particularly like Queen Jenna Barefoot Pajama

#16 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 392 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SoDF]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

'Cause some people would get something that they feel is crappy, and they could get 3 of it due to RNG mechanics, and there would be nothing they could do about it.

And if it would be tradable, people would just trade them to make profit, and again, some people would be screwed over as they would get crap minis and get 5 gold from all of them, and other guy would get 50 gold from one.

Finally, getting finantial edge over other people just 'cause you mindlessly created 5 chars at once seems like a cheap blow.

BTW before someone tries with argument "why does it hurts you that someone will make money even if you didn't?" It would hurt me, as I play the TP to make money, and sudden influx of minis and people getting rich would possibly screw over few of the markets I use, or other people use.

In summary I'd say that I'd much rather have all people to be 'meh' about their gifts than x% of the playerbase gettin' lucky and having the times of their lives, x% being bummed out 'cause they got 8 charachters and got nothing of value. x% being bummed out 'cause they didn't rush out with creating ALL OF THE CHARACTERS, and x% not giving a f... care.

The problem with your argument is that... well... it just doesn't fit the facts.  Take a real world example if you'd like.  Suppose it was your ACTUAL birthday and your parents (or whatever) decided to get you a present.  Consider 2 scenarios.  1) They buy you 8 unused lottery tickets where one has a 100% chance of payout (even if it's small) and 2) They give you 8 used lottery tickets that are all losers, but they've written a nice (yet impersonal) note on one of them.  Ask yourself, and be honest here, which you would rather receive.  Then, since the choice is pretty obvious to just about anyone, ask yourself how you would feel if your parents got you the 2nd option and that was it.  Would you, perhaps, feel insulted? Would you, perhaps, feel that it almost would have been better if they just forgot your birthday all together instead of such a half-assed (and even insulting) gesture?  

There are plenty of things about my analogy that don't work, but its much closer to how people are reacting (and should react realistically) than anything you've said so far.

#17 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

    Creative Quaggan

  • Members
  • 935 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 10:29 AM, said:

'Cause some people would get something that they feel is crappy, and they could get 3 of it due to RNG mechanics, and there would be nothing they could do about it.

And if it would be tradable, people would just trade them to make profit, and again, some people would be screwed over as they would get crap minis and get 5 gold from all of them, and other guy would get 50 gold from one.

Finally, getting finantial edge over other people just 'cause you mindlessly created 5 chars at once seems like a cheap blow.

BTW before someone tries with argument "why does it hurts you that someone will make money even if you didn't?" It would hurt me, as I play the TP to make money, and sudden influx of minis and people getting rich would possibly screw over few of the markets I use, or other people use.

In summary I'd say that I'd much rather have all people to be 'meh' about their gifts than x% of the playerbase gettin' lucky and having the times of their lives, x% being bummed out 'cause they got 8 charachters and got nothing of value. x% being bummed out 'cause they didn't rush out with creating ALL OF THE CHARACTERS, and x% not giving a f... care.

If we actually think about it... they could just give us a 1st-Birthday Ticket so we could choose which ones we like. There's so much more creativity they could've done...

To me, this reminds me of a dying game that I played where in the last months of it they just added day-by-day new stuff in their stores and deafen themselves from the community. I just quitit. Later I found out that they closed the servers after squizing whatever they could.
Not saying GW2 is dying but priorities that they had in GW1 have shifted by 160 degrees. And basically I guess we all, as GW1 vets gotta accept that.

We just gotta accept that there's someone else pulling all the strings now and that GW2 has become a serious business model

EDIT: In case they have some special unrevealed plans for the 28th (when it's the actual 1-st Birthday of GW2) I will gladly retreat everything I said. This lack of euphoria from ANet is really suspicious imo. So I still think a lot is yet to come.

Edited by Nabuko Darayon, 25 August 2013 - 03:20 PM.


#18 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 392 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SoDF]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostArfuriz, on 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

This maybe shocking to you (or not if you're not naive) but every game and every gaming company needs to make a profit.

I really don't understand this notion that Arenanet and others like Blizzard or any other gaming company are just some greedy bastards because they try to have a profit or make the player spend money on a game.

For someone to spend money the developer needs to make a good product, this is true for every product be it a game, a car, a movie, whatever.

Now of course there are companys that don't care about making a quality product, they only care about making a quick profit with a bad product.

Saying or implying that Arenanet is one of them is to me profoundly unjust and hurtful to the developers dedication and shows a profoundly lack of knowledge of the game you're playing.

The some subtlety to issues like that that is easily lost.  Not every company is concerned with getting THE MOST profit they can.  In other words, while some/many in the business community are concerned with maximization, even at the expense of their reputations/quality/etc. others are content with a decent profit margin and higher overall quality.  I think that in many ways your views on which type of company Anet is are outdated.  If you had said what you said about them during the GW1 era, I would have heartily agreed with you.  Now, its a different company with different goals and different/lacking leadership.  The compromises to design for the sake of increased revenue are readily apparent; character unlocked dyes (out of literally hundred of different dyes), unlimited gathering tools for gems, the general scarcity of unique looking skins outside the gem shop, Free XP scrolls that many players can't even use without spending more gems, paid server transfers to milk the players who chose poorly initially or whose server's population dies off, the general "need" for magic find with the best magic find boosts coming from the gem shop, temporary content to keep feeding the addiction, a plethora of useless junk items that can't be sold and currencies, many of which are not included in the account wallet, a legendary item system so absurd that it literally fosters people buying gems to have enough to acquire them,; the list goes on.

In short, Anet is no longer the company whose sole goal is to make a great game, incorporating player feedback at every opportunity.  Go over to the offical forums and see how many of the "suggestion" posts get any response from anet, or how many of them are implemented.  How often do Anet officials post (or for we know even read) these message boards anymore, other than to perhaps accept reported bugs (that they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix).  Today Anet is far more like Turbine than the Anet of old: unresponsive, slow, bloated, stubborn and greedy.


View PostArfuriz, on 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

The type of reward we received it's pretty much on par with other games out there.

It's a small vanity item. It's not the greatest thing in the world. It's symbolic. A token of appreciation for playing the game. That's all there is to it.

I disagree.  Other games I've played that did birthday presents never deliberately gave you something you couldn't use without first going to the cash shop, or items that did nothing but take up space.  Anyone with more than one character created a year ago received multiple Mini Jenna that have no purpose; they received XP scrolls that most one year old characters have absolutely no use for and they received a temporary boost (that is currently bugged to be for 2 hours rather than the advertised 24, at least for some players) that offers less in the way of boosts than some of the in-game boosts that were already there (remember the southsun cove boost for 200% magic find that you could use whenever you wanted?)  In short the gifts are terrible and, depending on your level of patience, insulting.

#19 Ratzing

Ratzing

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostCaptain Bulldozer, on 25 August 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

The problem with your argument is that... well... it just doesn't fit the facts.  Take a real world example if you'd like.  Suppose it was your ACTUAL birthday and your parents (or whatever) decided to get you a present.  Consider 2 scenarios.  1) They buy you 8 unused lottery tickets where one has a 100% chance of payout (even if it's small) and 2) They give you 8 used lottery tickets that are all losers, but they've written a nice (yet impersonal) note on one of them.  Ask yourself, and be honest here, which you would rather receive.  Then, since the choice is pretty obvious to just about anyone, ask yourself how you would feel if your parents got you the 2nd option and that was it.  Would you, perhaps, feel insulted? Would you, perhaps, feel that it almost would have been better if they just forgot your birthday all together instead of such a half-assed (and even insulting) gesture?  

There are plenty of things about my analogy that don't work, but its much closer to how people are reacting (and should react realistically) than anything you've said so far.

Okay, let me put that in words that will be clear to ya:

Consider family of 4 - two parents and 2 children. There are two gifting options - first: parent's buy each children the same thing, like a little plushie that's pretty bland, and some candies. Second: parents choose randomly which children gets better gift, and which gets basically worthless stuff. I mean, like full lego set and some action figure for one boy and a lolipop and socks for the other.

In first scenario maybe both kids will be dissapointed, as the gift isn't all that well thought out or exciting. Maybe one will be indifferent, and there's a small chance that both won't be ingratefull, demanding shits and be thankful for the thought. But they won't be, will they? Anyway, it could be a lot better, but the maximum potential damage done is minimal IMO.

In second case scenario one kid is really friggin' happy - he got GREAT stuff. No complains from him, no serrie. What about the other? Well he got crap. If he doesn't mind the birthday gifts, it's okay with him, maybe he really needed that socks. But if he's anything like a real human being, he'll be dissapointed, and I mean big time. What the hell? Why is he worse? 'Cause parents rolled the dice and the fate has decided? That's bullshit.

And I've got to tell you, as a person with 8 chars that through 3 years of active playing in GW1 NEVER got any mini of value, I was the second kid, I felt screwed over. There were people that were able to afford FoW sets from their friggin' gifts alone, and all I could do was to stash them away, 'cause minis are terrible anyway. Yea, there was excitment when I was opening them, but nothing much after. Yaay for me. Thankfully I was able to put them in HoM at least and get some points. Now? I've got a shitty Jennah mini. Boo ♥♥♥♥ing whoo. At least no one will get rich just 'cause his jenna got differently coloured name.

View PostCaptain Bulldozer, on 25 August 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

I disagree.  Other games I've played that did birthday presents never deliberately gave you something you couldn't use without first going to the cash shop, or items that did nothing but take up space.  Anyone with more than one character created a year ago received multiple Mini Jenna that have no purpose; they received XP scrolls that most one year old characters have absolutely no use for and they received a temporary boost (that is currently bugged to be for 2 hours rather than the advertised 24, at least for some players) that offers less in the way of boosts than some of the in-game boosts that were already there (remember the southsun cove boost for 200% magic find that you could use whenever you wanted?)  In short the gifts are terrible and, depending on your level of patience, insulting.

I have use of 20lvl scroll. I will have use of second 20lvl scroll. I don't feel insulted, I feel indifferent. How are they insulting? Someone gives you candy you don't like, you just say you don't like the candy. If he put it in your mailbox, just throw it away. You don't go under his windows and shout what a bastard he is for giving shitty gifts.


I want to make one thing clear - I too think that gifts are shitty. I just thing that playerbase could be mature enough to not throw tantrums over it 'cause it's friggin' silly. It's like a parent that has no idea what his own children likes gives him some crap, and the child starts crying and moping for two days. ANet is the crappy parent, having no clue what the hell would the average player like. Seriously, they would just give people 200 gems and 90% wouldn't cry (I'm an optimist, there would be ton of posts that he's entitled to 300 so he can buy himself a pet pack). And we, the playerbase as the collective, are the crying little entitled children, that doesn't like his gifts. Boo-hoo.

And still I think we're better off with bad gift that is equal for everyone, instead of bad gift for x% of the playerbase, and great gift gor X% of the playerbase. That's my line of thinking.

Edited by Ratzing, 25 August 2013 - 04:29 PM.


#20 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostMhenlo, on 25 August 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

Mini trading was a fun thing in GW1. I really don't know why anyone thinks that trading mini's in GW2 would be a bad thing. So far, they really serve no purpose. It's a shame that this is yet another thing that GW1 did well that GW2 decided to do poorly.

Pretty much this.

Mini's in GW2 have not been as popular, not even close as they took off in GW1, mini's themselves have proved to be useless, as well as polymock and the mini pet mini games STILL not in the game after 12 months...even though they marketed the game on both of those..

It all comes down to the gem store, rng gambling again. I have said it before but I honestly believe the gem store and gems to gold with the combination of a full global trading outpost and heavy rng gambling has seriously negatively effected the outcome, design and players of GW2 in the short and long term, that's just how I see it and feel about it.

The birthdays and mini's and old stuff returning to the store after Anet pretty much saying "BUY NOW ITS LIMITED" but will probably come back again soon! but we will tell you its limited again so you buy more!! This is all just the latest of a long line and list of examples and proof of what we have been saying all along that can't be denied anymore, even by the biggest Anet suppoter on the planet, not unless they are deluding themselves any way.

FTP and BTP can be better than subscription models "IF" it is done right and implemented in the right way. The way NCSoft, Anet have handled is well, *fights rage mode* I don't even want to bother thinking up names for it because I would not be on these forums afterwards if you get what I mean.

I can understand completely why people have been discouraged away from the BTP/FTP models in games lately and in the past few years, is probably why ESO and Wildstar and other future games online are going to have subscriptions while maybe another business model attached to them. I am just hoping myself Star Citizen doesn't take the GW2 route and learns from Anet's mistakes.

The birthday's are disappointing in GW2.

View PostNabuko Darayon, on 25 August 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

If we actually think about it... they could just give us a 1st-Birthday Ticket so we could choose which ones we like. There's so much more creativity they could've done...

They would lose money if they did that, don't be silly, creativity and expanding on already proven things from the past? What game have you been playing, now go do some more gambling for your mini pets in the gem store please. Then for the harder to get one's go use the gambling mystic toilet at a small chance of getting the one you want....just because having double and triple RNG gambling is awesome and makes us even more money.

Go make Anet some more money how dare you even criticize them! Happy ♥♥♥♥ing birthday!

Edited by Eon Lilu, 25 August 2013 - 05:08 PM.


#21 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 392 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SoDF]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Okay, let me put that in words that will be clear to ya:

Consider family of 4 - two parents and 2 children. There are two gifting options - first: parent's buy each children the same thing, like a little plushie that's pretty bland, and some candies. Second: parents choose randomly which children gets better gift, and which gets basically worthless stuff. I mean, like full lego set and some action figure for one boy and a lolipop and socks for the other.

In GW1, when the presents came out, none of them were worthless.  Even the common ones would go for 80-100k when they first came out.  More than that, your analogy is flawed.  Anet gave every person the same gift: a birthday present.  It wasn't randomly choosing who gets what, as the players were free to even sell their unopened presents.  That's why the lottery ticket analogy is much better.


View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

In first scenario maybe both kids will be dissapointed, as the gift isn't all that well thought out or exciting. Maybe one will be indifferent, and there's a small chance that both won't be ingratefull, demanding shits and be thankful for the thought. But they won't be, will they? Anyway, it could be a lot better, but the maximum potential damage done is minimal IMO.

In second case scenario one kid is really friggin' happy - he got GREAT stuff. No complains from him, no serrie. What about the other? Well he got crap. If he doesn't mind the birthday gifts, it's okay with him, maybe he really needed that socks. But if he's anything like a real human being, he'll be dissapointed, and I mean big time. What the hell? Why is he worse? 'Cause parents rolled the dice and the fate has decided? That's bullshit.

And I've got to tell you, as a person with 8 chars that through 3 years of active playing in GW1 NEVER got any mini of value, I was the second kid, I felt screwed over. There were people that were able to afford FoW sets from their friggin' gifts alone, and all I could do was to stash them away, 'cause minis are terrible anyway. Yea, there was excitment when I was opening them, but nothing much after. Yaay for me. Thankfully I was able to put them in HoM at least and get some points. Now? I've got a shitty Jennah mini. Boo ♥♥♥♥ing whoo. At least no one will get rich just 'cause his jenna got differently coloured name.

I don't think you understand human nature very well at all.  Most people (and there are countless scientific studies that back this up) would rather have a CHANCE at something good, even knowing that they might get noting at all, than a 100% of something mediocre.  Why do you think gambling is so popular the world over? Whether or not it makes sense to you personally (or whwther you agree with it) is not the point.  The point is that many MANY people feel that way, and some studies even suggest its a sizable majority of people who would not take your side.

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I have use of 20lvl scroll. I will have use of second 20lvl scroll. I don't feel insulted, I feel indifferent. How are they insulting? Someone gives you candy you don't like, you just say you don't like the candy. If he put it in your mailbox, just throw it away. You don't go under his windows and shout what a bastard he is for giving shitty gifts.

Just because some people will be able to use them does not excuse the fact that it is an extremely obvious "buy character slots" tactic that many players are simply too smart to fall for.  More than that, for many more players, the ONLY way those scrolls could currently be useful is if they buy an extra character slot, or delete a character and start over.  It would be like giving someone a coupon for their birthday that said, "10% off your purchase of $20 or more" except that in the case of the coupon (which we all routinely get for free from many stores anyway, not as "special" once a year rewards) it actually saves you money.  The scrolls encourage you to spend money with no discount, and offer something that's extremely easy to accomplish in the first place, since the first 15 levels are actually quicker to acquire than any other levels in the game by design (as it it takes proportionally much less work to achieve them than later levels, not to mention the fact that low level zones are generally more heavily populated).

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I want to make one thing clear - I too think that gifts are shitty. I just thing that playerbase could be mature enough to not throw tantrums over it 'cause it's friggin' silly. It's like a parent that has no idea what his own children likes gives him some crap, and the child starts crying and moping for two days. ANet is the crappy parent, having no clue what the hell would the average player like. Seriously, they would just give people 200 gems and 90% wouldn't cry (I'm an optimist, there would be ton of posts that he's entitled to 300 so he can buy himself a pet pack). And we, the playerbase as the collective, are the crying little entitled children, that doesn't like his gifts. Boo-hoo.

Except in that case the children aren't PAYING their parents for services.  Whether they like it or not, Anet's has expectations leveled against them by their customers (in part due to their promises and prior norms that they established).  Some of those expectations are clearly exaggerated, while others (like birthday presents) are really not unreasonable.  I don't see more than a tiny fraction of those complaining asking for massive unreasonable rewards; I see people asking for things they could use or things not unlike what Anet has delivered in the past during the GW1 years.  

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

And still I think we're better off with bad gift that is equal for everyone, instead of bad gift for x% of the playerbase, and great gift gor X% of the playerbase. That's my line of thinking.

There are lessons the world knows very clearly in some cases.  Why has virtually every true attempt at communism failed spectacularly?  Because when it comes right down to it, very few people are content to by exactly equal with everyone else.  When everyone has the same item, there is no value to that item.  The economy of GW2 is capitalist (which is still not a perfect system by a long shot), so why does Anet think that giving out equal rewards would go over well?  Almost no one really wants that, even if you personally are satisfied by it.  What I don't understand is why you personally seem to be so rude in your posts here just because you happen to disagree with a certain viewpoint that clearly a large percentage of people are taking... but hey I guess its the internet, so what else should I expect?

#22 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

View PostArfuriz, on 25 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Out of topic:

This maybe shocking to you (or not if you're not naive) but every game and every gaming company needs to make a profit.


I really don't understand this notion that Arenanet and others like Blizzard or any other gaming company are just some greedy bastards because they try to have a profit or make the player spend money on a game.

For someone to spend money the developer needs to make a good product, this is true for every product be it a game, a car, a movie, whatever.

While your quote is true, it has nothing to do with the quote you posted which basically stated that unless ANet can make something profitable, they don't put any effort into it.

So, while companies do need to make a profit, there is tons of room in an MMO to do things well even though it isn't necessarily a direct tie to revenue.

View PostRatzing, on 25 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I want to make one thing clear - I too think that gifts are shitty. I just thing that playerbase could be mature enough to not throw tantrums over it 'cause it's friggin' silly.

So starting a thread about the dissatisfaction of something we paid for is analogous to being a kid throwing a tantrum about not getting a gift for their birthday?

I don't follow that logic at all... :huh:

#23 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8115 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

So here's the 100 gold question:

Do I bother hanging on to any year one characters besides 1?

Will this be the future, or will next year give random minis you can sell?

#24 FrogKnight87

FrogKnight87

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 747 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm totally disapointed. I now have 12 Experience Scroll sitting on my bank and no use for them, 12 mini queen jennah on my bank and I couldn't care less for her and 12 boosters that... I'll use but that I find are not usefull

Edited by FrogKnight87, 25 August 2013 - 07:10 PM.


#25 prince vingador

prince vingador

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 496 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

well i was expecting to be able to trade or sell or gift the items, and i dont get it, why everybody gets the same items? I came from gw1 and i must say  i would rather risk getting a crap mini than knowing already whats inside and even worse ,knowing that everybody gets the same.

#26 Ratzing

Ratzing

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Spoiler

Edited by Feathermoore, 26 August 2013 - 02:29 PM.
Do Not Quote Wars.


#27 aspi

aspi

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 905 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Server:Fissure of Woe

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

I liked the rng in gw1 better, chance for a good and/or nice mini. This seems underwhelming. But the big birhtday update will fix it all right? Something big....

#28 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostRatzing, on 26 August 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Analogous to being a kid  throwing a tantrum about getting crappy gift for their birthday! Major difference, right there. I kid though.

I, for one, didn't pay for birthday gift receiver simulator. I was under the impression that they wanted to do something extra (that they did it very clumsily is another story). So when I didn't like it, I was indifferent, it's not like I was expecting awesome gifts after one year from purchase, nor did anyone tell me I would receive them. That's why I'm kinda amazed that so many people feel so hurt by ANets stupid birthday gift.

I don't call people demanding more between class balancing or wanting permanent content. I paid for a game that was supposed to be suited to PvP, so it's reasonable to demand more work on classes balance. I paid for a game that was supposed to have tons of things to do and changing world, which isn't really the case right now, so I'm not telling people that they should shut up and enjoy what they have.

And this... This is such a minor thing.

It is a minor thing, but it still continues to show that ANet learned nothing from GW1 and continues to make rookie mistakes. How do you expect them to balance PvP or do anything else well when they can't even continue to do the things they did well in GW1?

I think that's the point for a lot of people. It is just another sign of laziness and uncaring from the development team.

#29 aspi

aspi

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 905 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Server:Fissure of Woe

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostMhenlo, on 26 August 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

It is a minor thing, but it still continues to show that ANet learned nothing from GW1 and continues to make rookie mistakes. How do you expect them to balance PvP or do anything else well when they can't even continue to do the things they did well in GW1?

I think that's the point for a lot of people. It is just another sign of laziness and uncaring from the development team.
It kinda makes me wonder who from the gw1 team is still working on the game :/

#30 quantum712

quantum712

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 158 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

The amount of moaning about this is astounding.

There is always the option of them doing NOTHING for character birthdays like the vast majority of games out there.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users