• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kuskah

Kuskah

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

First of all, what is your take on having all races living in a friendly, co-operational environment?

On one hand, it's cool from the world event perspective and whatnot, that everyone can help and work together. On the other hand though, I really miss the thrill of going through a zone, not knowing if there's an enemy stalking me, ready to make a move and attack. I'm talking about open-world PvP, of course. I miss the need to gear up not only to kill monsters easier, but also fend of potential player attacks.

"But open-world PvP surely can't work in GW2, because of the way races are..." you say. You are partially right. But only partially, because while we couldn't really make races fight each other without greatly messing with the lore & the game as a whole, each race in GW2 has it's evil branch. The Charr have Flame legion, the Asura have the Inquest, the Norn have Sons of Svanir, the Sylvari have the Nightmare court and Humans have... bandits I guess (or am I not remembering something?). So theoretically, players could be given a choice to join those. Obviously, with this in game, the personal story would need to be remade but other than that, no real harm would be done.

EDIT: Actually, the PS wouldn't even need to be remade. One scenario could be that after you defeat Zhaitan, an anonymous person sends you mail to meet them somewhere and then they invite you to join their faction. Each race would be contacted by their "evil faction" of course.

What would this result in though?
1. Players having to be cautious in open world. (capital cities + certain outposts in the world could be marked as "non-PvP zones")
2. Factions would fight over who's gonna kill & get the rewards from world bosses / who's gonna enter uncontested dungeons (chances are there would be some cross-faction agreements though)
3. The need to take other than full Zerker equipment into PvE maps
4. Faction benefits

What is your take on this? Would you like to see open-world PvP and/or faction diversity or do you prefer the game as it is?

Edited by Kuskah, 26 August 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Moharis Frostreign

Moharis Frostreign

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[AI]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

I really can't stand player-kill. Open world PvP would probably cause me to quit the game entirely.

#3 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3228 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

Personally, I find that WvW was already insanely hurt by including PvE elements: or better yet, by including PvE elements to the degree we see in it.
What open world PvP would do is introduce even MORE PvE elements into this form of PvP and that's just something I can not get behind. WvW is already an abysmal form of PvP and this would be even worse.

#4 Kamatsu

Kamatsu

G'day Mate

• Moderators
  • 1452 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:50 PM

In most other games I've played that had open-world PvP all it ended up being was "Gank the lowbie" and "gank the solo player". It never actually ended up being fights between similar leveled people - it was generally always high level players ganking low level players, or groups of gankers targeting people trying to quest solo or in a small group (smaller than the size of the gankers group). I never found open world pvp to actually encourage actual decent pvp - it was more of a scurry around while leveling to avoid the high level gankers, and then when max level it was a scurry to avoid the groups of gankers that would flit around.

Personally I'd not play on a server that allows open world pvp - been there, done that already and didnb't like the experience (I played on it because I had RL friends there.. it was great playing with them but terrible when they were not online). And if the only option was open world pvp then I'd quit the game entirely and never come back.

Have a moderation related issue? Send me a PM

#5 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors
  • 8113 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

Good heavens no!

1.  You cannot play a "bad" character in GW2, or a character that is viewed to be bad by other players.

2.  The whole game is designed to eliminate griefing whenever possible.

3.  Servers are account bound, so you would ALWAYS be on a PvP or PvE server.  I assume guesting would be eliminated to try and keep PvP somewhat fair?

4.  PvP not needed in open world...  that's what WvW is for.

In other words:  it will never happen, not based on the core design of cooperative play of GW2.

#6 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:46 AM

No to world pvp, but I think it would be interesting if you could queue for a "free for all pvp map". Perhaps they could make a rotation of PVE maps, changing each day, where you could queue into a "free for all pvp" overflow version of that map.
For example, today you could select to queue into "PvP Lornar's Pass", and every player in that instance of Lornar's pass would be hostile (perhaps party members could be friendly or something). The next day, it might instead be Metrica Province. The day after that, Fireheart Rise. Heck they could even do major cities, I think it'd be awesome to pvp in Lion's Arch.

#7 Simon1812

Simon1812

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[HATE]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

GW2 offers, PVP, PVE and WVW, if none of those suit your taste u r looking for another game.

I pretty much feel the same way as Kamatsu and Baron Von Scrufflebutt.

#8 Conkers

Conkers

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

View PostKuskah, on 26 August 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

What is your take on this? Would you like to see open-world PvP and/or faction diversity or do you prefer the game as it is?

Open world PvP simply does not work in games that are not explicitly designed around it, for example EVE Online is how to do open world PvP right, the entire economy, resources, crafting, etc are all designed to encourage / require PvP, where as WoW, Rift,SWTOR, etc are simply how not to do it, including having set in stone factions, which just leads to one faction outnumbering the other in most games, resulting in crappy open world PvP.

Don't get me wrong I agree going through a PvP zone is much more exciting (especially given how lame and faceroll they make open world PvE in most games these days), I'd go as far to say PvP in an MMO actually lives up to the name "massively multiplayer" unlike PvE, these days (bring back difficult open world PvE, non-instanced dungeons and large 40+ player raids) as people need to co-operate / work together than rather anonymous / shallow level needed for open world PvE or instanced dungeons which are just a co-op.

I'd also add having a class that can stealth->big burst->re-stealth and on top of that has the best mobility in the game is just a recipe for bad open world PvP and will act like neon sign for the sort of lamers that go around ganking lowbies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users