• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kurzaiken

Kurzaiken

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi, I hope I don't come off as too rude in my simplistic title for this topic. I have been on a break for a long time in this game and recently came back. I am a true savant of game mechanics most of the time and I tried out every class in spvp, measuring dps against golems etc in the beginning. So I had a very solid understanding of each classes strength and weakness.

As I came back I have read some fleeting information about how, for example, Guardians one handed sword was nerfed at some point. I am finding myself wondering what exactly was nerfed about the one handed sword, was it the dps, or maybe the functioning of the blink-strike? Either way, if I was to find out I would be able to make some informed decisions on whether I'd like to continue playing my guardian, or maybe swap to warrior for better dps, etc.

If I had the patch notes containing only the changes made to abilities, traits etc, that would help me a lot. So if anyone know where I can find that, I would be grateful. Thanks in advance!

#2 Digilodger

Digilodger

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:21 PM

An overview of all releases: http://wiki.guildwar...ki/Game_release

And this is the one with major changes on traits and skills across all professions: [Gw2Guru], [Gw2Official], [Gw2Wiki]

View PostKurzaiken, on 29 August 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

As I came back I have read some fleeting information about how, for example, Guardians one handed sword was nerfed at some point. I am finding myself wondering what exactly was nerfed about the one handed sword, was it the dps, or maybe the functioning of the blink-strike? Either way, if I was to find out I would be able to make some informed decisions on whether I'd like to continue playing my guardian, or maybe swap to warrior for better dps, etc.

Guardian's sword/focus-greatsword sets are still the most popular among dps guardian.  They still play irreplacable roles in dungeons where projectile reflection/absorpsion, aegis, and stability are necessary.  In teams with Lightning hammer ele, they also provide extra firefield for blasting.

In organized teams, warrior has been de-throned as the dps king and has been push to the banner-spawning role.  The main dps and might+fury provider now falls upon the elementalist with some variation of the lightning hammer builds.

Lightning hammer ele has gain popularity among organized team lately due to the newly buffed Persisting Flame trait (fire field lasts longer and give 3 mights + fury upon blasting).  They're no longer a "leech" bulid that relies on other classes to deal high dmg; now they're the main source of the mights+fury, while still dealing more damage than warrior and cause vulnerability condition on enemies.  Warriors don't even need to carry For Great Justice any more in organized team with one or two lightning hammer ele.

Edited by Digilodger, 29 August 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#3 Kurzaiken

Kurzaiken

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

wow, thanks mate

#4 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2218 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

That's a bit of a stretch to say LH ele is meta now.  The blasts are useful sometimes but they're not as overpowering as you think they are, and there's a lot of stuff the ele needs to maintain that it can't do on its own (bleed, vul, full endurance, full health) to keep that damage high.  DPS-wise they are in about the same place as thieves; they can pump out big damage but it's not practical to try to stack a bunch of them.

I'm actually liking mesmers in terms of single-target DPS currently, although they go to shit when it comes to clearing large groups of trash.

#5 Digilodger

Digilodger

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostGuanglaiKangyi, on 31 August 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

That's a bit of a stretch to say LH ele is meta now.  The blasts are useful sometimes but they're not as overpowering as you think they are, and there's a lot of stuff the ele needs to maintain that it can't do on its own (bleed, vul, full endurance, full health) to keep that damage high.  DPS-wise they are in about the same place as thieves; they can pump out big damage but it's not practical to try to stack a bunch of them.

Agree on the note on it is impractical to stack a bunch of lightning-hammer ele in a team; they're far too fragile and lacking party supports.  However, one or two lightning-hammer would do well in a group, allowing more variations.

So let's supposed a group composition like this:
  • 1 guardian,
  • 1 warrior,
  • 1 elementalist
  • 1 mesmer
  • 5th member could be any (another guard/war/ele would work, or another class like thief, ranger, engineer would work, too)
would fair better than a group of 3 wars, 1 mez, 1 guard in general dungeons.  We actually could do away with mesmer and replace it with another class, like a 2nd ele, and still retain about the same dps. I believe we generally agree on this,.

Edited by Digilodger, 31 August 2013 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users