Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Ascended Items: Not worth the hassle?


  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

I keep hearing over and over again that no one needs ascended items in the game, therefore any discussion about obtaining the items is not important because the items themselves are not important.

If this is the case, why are the developers of the game working so hard on an additional tier of items and spend so much time and resources to creating new and different ways to obtain them?

Edited by Archaes, 05 September 2013 - 11:17 PM.
Last two lines do not contribute. Your post is about discussing the worth of ascended items, not ArenaNet's content development strategies.


#2 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

It's both.

The increased stats are there such that anyone who wants BiS gear (regardless of whether or not it affects gameplay) will want it.

On the other hand, while the gear unbalances the playing field in WvWvW (especially in instances of roaming), the content in GW2 is so poorly designed that the the change in stats isn't an issue.  It does not further trivialize the content with the exception of making the boss die quicker.

That much is given, since GW2 does not address scaling with Engineer kits/turrets, Necromancer pets, Mesmer phantasms and Ranger pets when Ascended came out.  Those things scaled out to Exotic levels upon hitting 80, regardless of what you are wearing.

There was even a gripe thread on reddit about how kits were released with Ascended damage capabilities, and then hotfixed back down to Exotic levels.

The simple fact that scaling was not in there at launch, nor apparently a high priority, nor apparently fixed beyond patching out damage numbers when they apparently feel Engineer kits should do damage to keep up with a player base that is walking around in Ascended shows they don't believe the game is unplayable without Ascended stats.

So they added it for the people who chase BiS will keep playing this game, but from a game-play design perspective, its very irrelevant.  It is clearly there as a pull for people who want BiS gear and are willing to hack it out and keep playing.  The gear clearly could have just been gear with agony resistance and probably better looking than exotic skins, but numbers are cheaper than art assets and here we are.

Edited by MazingerZ, 05 September 2013 - 07:43 PM.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#3 Gerroh

Gerroh

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 572 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[Nope]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

They look pretty.
Good enough for me!

#4 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

This thread brings up a good point, with all the "get over it, you don't need ascended" comments (which I myself have contributed to) going around, why have ascended at all?
My view is that, as an MMO, GW2 is trying to cater to as a wide a variety of players as possible. MMOs are community based games, so they generally want to reach out and pull together as many different players as possible under one game. In order to achieve this, they have to deal with conflicting interests on many fronts. GW2 tries to offer a game that lets casual players participate in all, or as much as possible, of it's content without significant investment (though GW1 player would argue that leveling, amongst other things, are too long to truly achieve this when compared to GW1, a fair point). At the same time, they want to cater to the gear chaser crowd, which is incredibly prevalent in the genre. They want to provide tangible long term goals that anyone can fixate on (skins, being subjectively desirable, don't meet this requirement).
In a recent interview with Matt Visual, Colin said (and it's been mentioned before) that Ascended are there to fix a mistake they made with exotics. He said they missed the mark on many fronts with how hard exotics should have been to get. Getting them through drops is a just plain ridiculous idea, while getting them through crafting is easy. So ascended is there as a mid-term gearing objective that doesn't interfere with the players capacity to complete content (he then goes on to confirm that Ascended is the last tier of gear they will release).
This does create some problems of course, tuning encounters when you have such wishy-washy metrics for player power can really hurt the content. On the other hand, as someone who's primary MMO was WoW before GW2, I find wearing full ascended gear is comparable to completing the first boss of a raid when you've progressed to and are geared for the last boss of said raid (that is to say, I don't feel it's a problem). An advantage to this is that exotics are easy to get, which the player to easily swap builds, and exotics put you at a comfortable [power]level for running content (dungeons) at. My warrior actually has a Knight's, Berserker's and Soldier's set of armor(not jewelry or weapons) on him at all times.

#5 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

^^ I was waiting for this post, and I agree that it was their intention to do just that. However, they missed the other part of the equation - which is that you need to have something that makes it useful as well. I guess fractals may take that role, but I'm not convinced it is enough.

#6 ChuyDog08

ChuyDog08

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 186 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Ascended gear is not totally worthless, they just don't have any purpose right now other than to keep us busy.

I have criticized several of Anet decisions.  The one thing ascended gear made me realize is that I am most critical of the deployment of their decisions.  Anet is rolling out changes to the game as if they were pieces of the Living Story.  We get mysterious changes with little explanation and then a few months later the function comes out that uses the previous change.  However, we may never put two and two together because more changes have been deployed in the interum.  A clear example, the farming zerg fest of the last month.  The volumes of materials and money that we all earned so easily was Anets way of making up for the cost of ascended gear and Magic Find removal.  They may have not come straight out and said it, but I bet that they knew what they were doing.

I think we will get a clearer picture of what is to come for ascended gear closer to the end of the year.  Anet has a plan, but they have proven to be a horrible story teller (just play your personal story missions).

Also, some are saying ascended gear is useless because they have already mentioned legendary "gear" before the end of the year.  I'm too lazy to look up where  I read that, btu I think it was in a recent Collin interview.  If so, most people (including myself) will just wait until then to make major changes to my characters gear.  After all, the new stuff is not needed to breeze through PVE and most dungeones (fractals excluded).

#7 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

<3 waiting just for me?
And yea, I'd agree with that. For fFactals makes sense, it's supposed to be the 'hardcore' progression content, and the major benefit to ascended is the agony resistance which is specifically for fractals. But I would have preferred they just stick with exotics and made some special infusions slot that could be added to them for AR. Other then their use for fractals, ascended just ends up stratifying the player base through an extra power tier. Luckily, that extra power is light enough that it can, for the most part, be ignored.
Even though I doubt I'll make myself ascended weapons(unless I really want that green sword skin, or eventually find myself with an excess of mats with which to make one) I'm actually happy with the Ascended weapons since they drove exotics prices down XD

#8 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

If legendary is the same or better and can now use agony resistance as well, what's the point in ascended? Slightly less of a grind?

It just seems like they put it in the game to give the stat and carrot chasers something to do and make the game last longer...because some people like doing that I guess.

Personally I find it kinda pointless and a waste of resources. I tend to ask the question, what else could we have had in the game if they had not wasted time and resources on ascended in the game? That is what bothers me the most I guess, just a waste of time and resources that could of been used on something else more important to the game and more in line with Anet's original philosophy and manifesto.

Edited by Eon Lilu, 05 September 2013 - 09:47 PM.


#9 Syl

Syl

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

yep, ascended weapons are a gold sink, a new shiny collectible...

#10 Omega X

Omega X

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 293 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[OOM]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:08 PM

View PostChuyDog08, on 05 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

Ascended gear is not totally worthless, they just don't have any purpose right now other than to keep us busy.

That's right on the money. Just wait until those new fangled Fractals are released that destroys your group unless they have more enchanted ascended items equipped.

#11 Archaes

Archaes

    "Rks"

  • Moderators
  • 2229 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[TWIT]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Changed thread title to something more specific.

People interpret worth and worthlessness in different ways. Ascended weapons have stat customization and higher stats than exotics. In that sense, they have an appeal or "worth" to the player.

I feel like what you're really asking is if they're worth the time and resources. Right?
If you have a question about moderating issues or just want to talk, feel free to  PM me here. :)

#12 Bloggi

Bloggi

    Savant

  • Members
  • 857 posts
  • Location:Coastal
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostArewn, on 05 September 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

So ascended is there as a mid-term gearing objective that doesn't interfere with the players capacity to complete content (he then goes on to confirm that Ascended is the last tier of gear they will release).


In the past I remember seeing something along the lines that there will be no new gear tiers for the rest of 2013, but don't recall it being said that Ascended is the last tier of gear that will ever be released. Would you happen to have a reference to put up here that demonstrates that? Just curious actually, and I would be relieved if that were true, excluding for a moment, the possibility that there is a chance for raising of the level cap.

#13 Daesu

Daesu

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1344 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NPO]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

The best discussion, on this topic, that I have noticed comes from Reddit:

http://www.reddit.co...wer_creep_math/

Quote

I have seen A LOT of talk about how Ascended isn't that big a deal and how the increase is small. I have also seen MANY people point at how the increase is small relative to the total number of attributes available to a player from all sources. To finally put all this crap to rest, I decided to do some math.
If you only look at the Ascended rings (backpack is no good as we don't have a baseline exotic comparison), the increase is not huge: Ascended: 103 Power; 68 Toughness; Exotic: 92 Power; 63 Toughness
But this has to be looked at in terms of how the game actually works with these numbers. Damage done = (weapon damage) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor) This is the formula for damage, into which we plug in the numbers (base stats plus bonuses from rings only). We are essentially looking at two naked characters that are wearing only two rings and wielding a great-sword that gives them Toughness and Power, and looking at how the damage differs (I used a skill coefficient of 1 to simplify things, the percentages would remain unaffected regardless).
Thus we have: *Ascended: 1097 - 1212 (min-max) *Exotic: 1087 - 1202 (min-max)
The differences come from the Ascended guy having more Power and Toughness, meaning that he does more damage, and also takes less of it. But the difference is small, around 0.85%. Less than one percent is indeed insignificant, but when the patch went live, they also inadvertently boosted Legendary weapons to their Ascended stats, so we now know what those will be.
Now, if we give the guy with the ascended rings the Ascended great-sword, but leave the exotic guy with the exotic great-sword, the difference start becoming more pronounced.
Now we have: *Asceded: 1160 - 1282 *Exotic: 1082 - 1196
This brings the difference up to ~7.2%. Again, this is not HUGE, but we can already see it starting to add up. Between the rest of the gear and stats gained from the infusions themselves, we're probably looking at a 15%-20% increase at a minimum. Bear in mind, this only account for raw damage. In the case of some other attributes such as Critical damage, the difference becomes far more pronounced.

EDIT: To the people claiming my math is off... PROVE IT. Open up Excel or whatever, plug in base attributes for a level 80, add the bonuses from the gear I mentioned, and then run the damage formula. To the people asking me what I am trying to prove: NOTHING. This is a post about math, so we can stop with the silly numbers being thrown around.

Also:

Ksielvin said:

Yes, they're seriously trying to offer us this premise of "Yeah it's better but you don't need to get it." I don't think that's how players work, whether their motivation is competition with other players (pvp or indirect) or the satisfaction of completing/min-maxing something.
I haven't seen any game developer sell this idea to a player base. Yes individual players make the choice of not striving for goals they feel are unreasonable but the player base as a whole doesn't accept that you're supposed to stay at a disadvantage.
People also had horizontal goals like multiple equipments sets for different builds, gearing up multiple characters or some of the very expensive forged exotic cosmetics that turned out to be incompatible with the new takes-more-time gear rank.

THIS is exactly what I have always wanted to say about the topic.

Edited by Daesu, 05 September 2013 - 11:44 PM.


#14 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostBloggi, on 05 September 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

In the past I remember seeing something along the lines that there will be no new gear tiers for the rest of 2013, but don't recall it being said that Ascended is the last tier of gear that will ever be released. Would you happen to have a reference to put up here that demonstrates that? Just curious actually, and I would be relieved if that were true, excluding for a moment, the possibility that there is a chance for raising of the level cap.
Recent interview. Colin outright says there wont be.

Edited by Arewn, 05 September 2013 - 11:46 PM.


#15 Daesu

Daesu

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1344 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NPO]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

View PostArewn, on 05 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

<3 waiting just for me?
And yea, I'd agree with that. For fFactals makes sense, it's supposed to be the 'hardcore' progression content, and the major benefit to ascended is the agony resistance which is specifically for fractals. But I would have preferred they just stick with exotics and made some special infusions slot that could be added to them for AR. Other then their use for fractals, ascended just ends up stratifying the player base through an extra power tier. Luckily, that extra power is light enough that it can, for the most part, be ignored.
Even though I doubt I'll make myself ascended weapons(unless I really want that green sword skin, or eventually find myself with an excess of mats with which to make one) I'm actually happy with the Ascended weapons since they drove exotics prices down XD

Let's just consider the ascended greatsword.

http://www.reddit.co...eatsword_costs/

From Archangelus in Reddit:

What Little Jimmy Can Do With Two Infusions Slots:
By Archangelus
Add 8 Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing, Toughness, or Vitality for 10 Laurels with Basic Infusions.
Add 10 Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing, Toughness, or Vitality and +2% Damage to Guards and Lords or -2% Damage from Guards and Lords for 10 Laurels and 250 Badges of Honor with WvW Fine Infusions.
Add 10 Agony Resistance for 150 Fractal Relics with Simple Infusions.
Add 10 Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing, Toughness, or Vitality and 10 Agony Resistance for tons of gold with PvE Fine Infusions.
Wait for Masterwork Infusions to be released, or pray to the devs that Boon Duration and Agony Duration Reduction Infusions (already added in-game) are acquirable soon.
Basically, the Infusions Slots are the big deal here. They're the one thing that actually adds substantial permanent functionality in this update, and seems like a sign of things to come for Fractals of the Mists.


Edited by Daesu, 06 September 2013 - 12:05 AM.


#16 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2089 posts
  • Location:(づ。*◕__◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧・。*。✧ Magic!
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:27 AM

Why do you think its pointless? It seem that you're fishing for the answers then telling us what is wrong with it but i can be wrong.

#17 Bloggi

Bloggi

    Savant

  • Members
  • 857 posts
  • Location:Coastal
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

View PostArewn, on 05 September 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Recent interview. Colin outright says there wont be.

Thanks for the link. Hope nobody blames me however, for thinking that Colin's words are not all that reassuring in this regard. Words such as "I really hope not", "I don't want to promise we'll never do it", "This should be it" and "I don't see any need any time in the near future" are hardly concrete indicators that ascended is the last tier we'd ever see. Also, Colin says that exotic gear was the planned 'middle ground'. Middle ground of what exactly? A middle ground of stats between rare and legendary? Nonsense. Legendary gear had exotic stats up till recently. Or is it middle ground in terms of aesthetics or cosmetics? In that case it is subjective.

Now I'm not even going to get into the discussion of whether it is right or wrong that exotic gear was easy to get, but IMHO, there is nothing wrong with hitting the power cap easily in a game. There must be more creative means to provide fun for players other than through progression in gear stats.

#18 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

View PostAzure Skye, on 06 September 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Why do you think its pointless? It seem that you're fishing for the answers then telling us what is wrong with it but i can be wrong.

If the original post was still in it's original form, you could read it for yourself.

Basically, what's the point of adding another tier of gear to a game that doesn't do anything and then spend countless man hours and updates supporting that worthless tier of gear with untradeable currencies and methods of crafting?

If ascended gear is not going to help you do any content better ( and lets face it, without infusions ascended gear is worthless in fractals) then there is no point to continue to support it's existence. Instead, ANet continues to make it irrelevant (at least according to many posters) while spending countless hours continuing to build upon it's existence in the game.

So, is it something that people don't need in the game, and doesn't contribute to being more effective in the game and therefore a useless addition to the game -- or is it worthwhile which makes the counter argument that it isn't necessary when discussing potentially bad mechanics for obtaining the gear an irrelevant argument?

Edited by Mhenlo, 06 September 2013 - 12:37 AM.


#19 carnifex2005

carnifex2005

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostMhenlo, on 06 September 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

If the original post was still in it's original form, you could read it for yourself.

Basically, what's the point of adding another tier of gear to a game that doesn't do anything and then spend countless man hours and updates supporting that worthless tier of gear with untradeable currencies and methods of crafting?

If ascended gear is not going to help you do any content better ( and lets face it, without infusions ascended gear is worthless in fractals) then there is no point to continue to support it's existence. Instead, ANet continues to make it irrelevant (at least according to many posters) while spending countless hours continuing to build upon it's existence in the game.

So, is it something that people don't need in the game, and doesn't contribute to being more effective in the game and therefore a useless addition to the game -- or is it worthwhile which makes the counter argument that it isn't necessary when discussing potentially bad mechanics for obtaining the gear an irrelevant argument?

Or C) it is like the fractals, a way to shut up the progression, progression, progression nerds for a few months. I like ANet's strategy. Let's just say, I'm not afraid of going up against someone in WvW in full ascended gear. I doubt I'll have any problem with them in my exotics and if I lose it's because they are more skilled than I was or I made a dumb mistake.

#20 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

View PostDaesu, on 06 September 2013 - 12:04 AM, said:

Let's just consider the ascended greatsword.

http://www.reddit.co...eatsword_costs/

From Archangelus in Reddit:

What Little Jimmy Can Do With Two Infusions Slots:
By Archangelus
Add 8 Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing, Toughness, or Vitality for 10 Laurels with Basic Infusions.
Add 10 Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing, Toughness, or Vitality and +2% Damage to Guards and Lords or -2% Damage from Guards and Lords for 10 Laurels and 250 Badges of Honor with WvW Fine Infusions.
Add 10 Agony Resistance for 150 Fractal Relics with Simple Infusions.
Add 10 Power, Precision, Condition Damage, Healing, Toughness, or Vitality and 10 Agony Resistance for tons of gold with PvE Fine Infusions.
Wait for Masterwork Infusions to be released, or pray to the devs that Boon Duration and Agony Duration Reduction Infusions (already added in-game) are acquirable soon.
Basically, the Infusions Slots are the big deal here. They're the one thing that actually adds substantial permanent functionality in this update, and seems like a sign of things to come for Fractals of the Mists.
Good points, in the interview I linked above, Colin also mentioned expanding FOTM functionality soon, so I'm sure that will come in to play as you mentioned.
I maintain the idea that ascended aren't required though. Casual and don't want to/cant get ascended? well you're good to go, because you are perfectly viable to comfortably do nearly all the game's content with exotics.
Like I was trying to explain above, MMOs are large multifaceted beasts, ascended isn't ideal, but it's a (arguably) necessary compromise.

View PostBloggi, on 06 September 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

Thanks for the link. Hope nobody blames me however, for thinking that Colin's words are not all that reassuring in this regard. Words such as "I really hope not", "I don't want to promise we'll never do it", "This should be it" and "I don't see any need any time in the near future" are hardly concrete indicators that ascended is the last tier we'd ever see. Also, Colin says that exotic gear was the planned 'middle ground'. Middle ground of what exactly? A middle ground of stats between rare and legendary? Nonsense. Legendary gear had exotic stats up till recently. Or is it middle ground in terms of aesthetics or cosmetics? In that case it is subjective.

Now I'm not even going to get into the discussion of whether it is right or wrong that exotic gear was easy to get, but IMHO, there is nothing wrong with hitting the power cap easily in a game. There must be more creative means to provide fun for players other than through progression in gear stats.
Middle grounds in terms of acquisition difficulty/time.
And I don't blame you for your caution, in fact I think it's quiet a good idea.
Of note: He also says "if SEVEN years in the future" and "if someone else takes over the company". Pretty extreme situations, he's basically just covering his bases since... well the internet. People will rabidly jump on everything and anything with foaming mouths just to tear it apart. He wants to avoid some idiot kids on the internet making an uproar on the forums and calling the company "liars" with tears in their eyes because of unforeseen circumstances that are out of his control.

#21 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

View Postcarnifex2005, on 06 September 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:



Or C) it is like the fractals, a way to shut up the progression, progression, progression nerds for a few months. I like ANet's strategy. Let's just say, I'm not afraid of going up against someone in WvW in full ascended gear. I doubt I'll have any problem with them in my exotics and if I lose it's because they are more skilled than I was or I made a dumb mistake.

Except I think Fractals is more than doable with ascended trinkets, and since there is no other area in the game that makes ascended gear worthwhile, why is it necessary to keep adding it? Even the progression people have to realize that there isn't anything that is beneficial to the ascended gear, so there is no real progression. At least in a normal vertical profession, new gear tiers give you access to new areas and challenges.

#22 StormDragonZ

StormDragonZ

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 396 posts
  • Location:Syracuse
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[MAGI]
  • Server:Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:41 AM

If you want to be considered one of the best people in the entire game and be recognized by ArenaNet as being the end all of end all super godly champion of superiority and absolute mastery, you better get them.

Otherwise, continue being not the best person in the entire game, totally ignored by ArenaNet and ultimately a cold, broken shell of a worthless form of misery, coated with bad luck and grand misfortune that will infest your pathetic soul for all eternity.

Super godly champion, or worthless form of misery? I don't think it's a difficult decision.

#23 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

    Underdog

  • Super Moderators
  • 3826 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AWWW]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

View PostMhenlo, on 06 September 2013 - 01:21 AM, said:

Except I think Fractals is more than doable with ascended trinkets, and since there is no other area in the game that makes ascended gear worthwhile, why is it necessary to keep adding it? Even the progression people have to realize that there isn't anything that is beneficial to the ascended gear, so there is no real progression. At least in a normal vertical profession, new gear tiers give you access to new areas and challenges.

More fractals are being added in the future, and increased agony resistance will allow players to go higher in levels. You know, things hard core players care about.

Unless ascended weapons don't have agony resist? I don't really read the stats much, shows that I am pretty darn casual in this game.

Little Mabel won't be able to be here it's our worst fear. She's busy working on her garden that she's growing up in space.


Why hello there forumite. Would you like me to review some moderation you did not agree with? Never fear! PM is here! Want to be a better poster? Check on this link! And this one!


#24 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostFeathermoore, on 06 September 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

More fractals are being added in the future, and increased agony resistance will allow players to go higher in levels. You know, things hard core players care about.

Unless ascended weapons don't have agony resist? I don't really read the stats much, shows that I am pretty darn casual in this game.

I'm not sure where the casual thing keeps coming from. What does that matter? Furthermore, the stat increase doesn't matter, so the only thing that matters is the agony infusion, not the ascended weapons themselves, which still leads to the original question: why bother taking the immense amoun of time and resources to continue to add them and mechanics to obtain them if the stats are useless and there is no content that matters in relation to the stat increases?

Really, I would love someone to prove that there is a need for ascended gear. However, I doubt that will happen; which means it is a waste of time from a development standpoint.

#25 LOCOMOFO

LOCOMOFO

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 442 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[GLTY]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

I remember the increased stats on ascended trinkets being questioned when ascended gear was first introduced.  I don't think we got a reasonable answer way back then either.

#26 Mhenlo

Mhenlo

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

View PostLOCOMOFO, on 06 September 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

I remember the increased stats on ascended trinkets being questioned when ascended gear was first introduced.  I don't think we got a reasonable answer way back then either.

Exactly. If ascended gear only had infusions and not a stat increase it would make much more sense, but would still raise questions about the need to spend all this time developing new methods to obtain gear only useful in one small part of the game that affects a negligible portion of the population.

#27 Redhawk2007

Redhawk2007

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostMhenlo, on 05 September 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

I keep hearing over and over again that no one needs ascended items in the game, therefore any discussion about obtaining the items is not important because the items themselves are not important.

If this is the case, why are the developers of the game working so hard on an additional tier of items and spend so much time and resources to creating new and different ways to obtain them?

I think the ascended stuff is unnecessary and largely not worth it for a pure PVEer. But for WvW these items have introduced an arms race of sorts where the guy who has all ascended weapons and trinkets has a big advantage over you, all things being equal. I like to take all my alts into WvW to mix things up when things get boring so I will likely always be running toons that are undergeared compared to those players who focus on having one uber-geared WvW toon.

It sucks, but it doesn't take the prophet Daniel to read the writing on Anet's wall and see where all this is going.

#28 TGIFrisbie

TGIFrisbie

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostArewn, on 05 September 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Recent interview. Colin outright says there wont be.


This is the same guy, you can go find the video, that stated before launch there would be no gear tread mill.  In the video link you supplied he clearly states at launch Exotic was the end-game gear planned.  Later, it became clear it was easier to obtain than they wanted, so Ascended has been and is being added.  At some point you might find this person conflicted.  Oh yeah, he also said at some point just after Ascended was being added to the game they had planned to have it in before launch......I see a dog chasing it's tail.

#29 Arewn

Arewn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:26 AM

View PostTGIFrisbie, on 06 September 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

This is the same guy, you can go find the video, that stated before launch there would be no gear tread mill.  In the video link you supplied he clearly states at launch Exotic was the end-game gear planned.  Later, it became clear it was easier to obtain than they wanted, so Ascended has been and is being added.  At some point you might find this person conflicted.  Oh yeah, he also said at some point just after Ascended was being added to the game they had planned to have it in before launch......I see a dog chasing it's tail.
There is no gear treadmill in gw2. And, like I just said above, having caution and not waiting on everything a game dev says as some unchangeable law is probably a good idea. Shit happens, things change. Does that excuse wishy-washy development practices? no. Does it excuse the addition of a single corrective tier with concise reasoning behind its addition, which an arguably large number of players are actually excited about and actively taking part in thus at least in part validating their decision to add it? probably.
It's funny how people hold devs so strictly to anything they let out, finding any deviation from it to be unforgivable, but then complain when devs dodge questions and give blanket answers in interviews (like he did many times in the above interview). I suppose it's hard to accept that those deviations and design changes are a natural part of development when they change an idea you were previously happy with.
I'm actually not entirely sure I understood what your point was in your post, but I'm guess you were trying to extrapolate that colin is not to be trusted or something along those lines. That's fine, but those who feel that way should probably stop looking at dev info prior to the related pieces being released.

(I feel the tone of this post is more aggressive then I intended it to be.. I don't mean for it to come off that way x.x)

Edited by Arewn, 06 September 2013 - 03:30 AM.


#30 Bloggi

Bloggi

    Savant

  • Members
  • 857 posts
  • Location:Coastal
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:29 AM

View PostRedhawk2007, on 06 September 2013 - 02:39 AM, said:


It sucks, but it doesn't take the prophet Daniel to read the writing on Anet's wall and see where all this is going.

Well yes, I think they're encouraging us to have a 'main' rather than to have alts. And I take three toons into WvW on a regular basis. That's a bit unfortunate. But whatever. *shrugs* Maybe I just need to develop some discipline and use one toon for everything.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users