MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2275 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Just a heads up to users here, in case anyone notices it and doesn't question it.  It is considered an exploit and there's been some recommendation to not 'over craft' or whatever in case you red flag on ArenaNet.  Given their overall response to the Asura jumping puzzle bug that got several people wrongfully banned for apparent teleport hacking, it's probably not advised to test your luck.  This post is not intended to promote exploitation, merely to inform issues with the game through normal gameplay that have been construed as exploitation by the ArenaNet.

Okay, basically there's an issue where crafting level 400 stuff still grants XP...

The original thread was removed, but did have a dev response prior to that.

But the Internet never forgets.

reddit link

Josh Davis, a dev, commented on the post prior to its removal, sourced from reddit

This is not intended behavior. We should have a fix coming out soon to correct the issue. In the meantime, I would avoid continued exploitation of this bug.

Obviously, there are some issues with this, as it is apparently easy to use to grind XP with cheap 400 recipes for levels, which translate into skill points, which are character-bound currency for purchasing things for the Legendary and usage of the Mystic Forge.

Response from Chris Cleary in the reddit thread

The post on the forum was removed because advertising or talking about exploitation is strictly forbidden on the official forums. While the issue at hand is a game bug, and is being addressed, it should be noted that abusing a game bug for gain is considered an exploit. I also understand that most users are going to run into this during normal gameplay, and I am fully taking this into account when investigating players abusing this bug for significant gain.

Edited by MazingerZ, 06 September 2013 - 09:13 PM.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#2 ObscureThreat

ObscureThreat

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

Well good to know. Though I guess I should stop crafting some 400 lvl recipies for profit till this is fixed.

#3 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Damn. I wonder who even thought of doing that. Most of us would just go "It's grey, leave it."

I was going to stock up on materials and refine as far as I could go while still gaining experience, leaving the bigger ones for another day. I think I'll steer clear of that while this gets fixed.

#4 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SoDF]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

There are exploits in the game that are very damaging to the game's economy of function, then there are "exploits" (I'm kinda surprised they would even use this term since it's not really something players can control in any way other than to simply not use an in game system) that matter very little.  I firmly put this "getting extra XP for crafting" one (exploit or not) in the latter category.  If anyone gets banned for this, it would be a serious outrage.

View PostDarkobra, on 06 September 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

Damn. I wonder who even thought of doing that. Most of us would just go "It's grey, leave it."

I was going to stock up on materials and refine as far as I could go while still gaining experience, leaving the bigger ones for another day. I think I'll steer clear of that while this gets fixed.

Hmmm maybe I misunderstood.  Can you get XP from crafting greyed out items?  I thought the issue was that if you already got your 10 lvls of XP from crafting to lvl 400, that you weren't supposed to get any more from crafting to lvl 500.  I know I got more XP when crafting, but my options were to simply not attempt to lvl my crafting up at all or grudgingly accept the bonus XP.

#5 Daesu

Daesu

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1344 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NPO]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:21 PM

Actually I saw that on the night of the patch on my chef after crafting some level 400 food to sell.  Apparently my program, which was doing crafting analysis based on current prices, was telling me to craft Omnomberry Pies to sell and I did craft some.  I was surprised that I gained XP quickly but chose not to exploit it and only crafted what I needed to sell.  I only sold 40 of them as I couldn't be bothered to make too many of them.  I could have sold a lot more for more profit.

You can see that price trend here lol.

Edited by Daesu, 06 September 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#6 Castaa

Castaa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Is this for those that are 400 in crafting and not yet level 80?

#7 Daesu

Daesu

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1344 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NPO]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostCastaa, on 06 September 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

Is this for those that are 400 in crafting and not yet level 80?

I think even for level 80, you can level up and gain skill points which can be used for a number of things.  So it is for crafting disciplines that are maxed at 400 (i.e. cooking, jeweler, armorsmith, leatherworker, tailor), regardless of your character level.

By the way new build is coming up soon to fix this.  Woot!  :)

http://www.reddit.co..._or_two_962013/

Edited by Daesu, 06 September 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#8 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Fixed a bug that allowed players to continue to gain experience while crafting in the Armorsmith, Chef, Jeweler, Leatherworker, and Tailor disciplines after reaching level 400
i think its fixed.
https://forum-en.gui...rst#post2789817

#9 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Why doesn't Guru ever update their patch note thread for all the extra releases anymore? There's a lot more there than I've read here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users