• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 P4ndora

P4ndora

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

...is it me, or there are more negative posts on official forums than here nowadays? :o I checked the first page of General GW2 Discussion and most of the threads were complaints. Which is kinda strange.

Sadly, anet already started censoring. There was a thread that got deleted after a few hours, it had around 4-5 pages and filled with a lot of valid concerns about ascended crafting.

#2 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

There always have been. Just that devs before were heavy handed in their moderation. It doesn't make people stop talking out about issues in the game. Issues that at least need acknowledged.

I reported a typo with Rune of the Eagle back in January. Then again in August. Still there. It's a ten second fix to change one letter.

No mail to say they got my report. 9 months ago. No mail to say it's on their to-do list. Just ignored. My next step is going to be the forum. It's just bad form to leave any flaw alone, especially when their attention has been drawn to it.

#3 DukeW

DukeW

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yeah there was quite a fiasco about a month ago when the PvP forums went mental and since then the moderators have been fluxing between being overly harsh and then not harsh enough. I mean, if ArenaNet have given up in thinking that the forum can be a place for productive discussion, then they should just remove the purely disruptive posts - not just any post they don't agree with. That strategy would just be fighting a flood they can't turn back.

#4 Featherman

Featherman

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

I've noticed that the mods are somewhat selective in their moderation. Some threads get closed while others get outright deleted. This seductiveness in moderations sparked somewhat a of a riot a few days on the sPvP forums when Xeph, one of the members of Team Curse, posted his criticisms of the game and a mdoerator outright deleted the thread.

Edited by Featherman, 08 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#5 Fantasy Trope

Fantasy Trope

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[EZ]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

I think the release of more ascended gear is reopening old wounds.  Some people have in the back of their minds this quote from Colin:

Colin Johanson: Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It's all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions - a lot of that is still up in the air and we'll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons - the raids.

I'm not interested in complaining for the sake of complaining.   This question has been asked in various ways by various people, but I would like to revisit it.  How is it possible to return to horizontal, cosmetic based progression?

Let's take a hypothetical: ArenaNet observes the massive number of complaints and is genuinely worried that stat creep was a mistake.  The devs would like a way out.

My suggestion is austere, but I think it is necessary at this stage: make a video that announces ascended was the wrong direction and plans are in place to drastically reduce the amount of time and resources necessary to obtain "the best statistical loot in the game."  This video contain the following:
  • A promise that ascended is the final tier (and the final increase in stats).
  • Plans to design better cosmetic rewards--armors and everlasting tonics, for example.
  • Develop systems for these rewards that tie them to feats of skill (speed clearing a difficult dungeon, clearing a dungeon without any party downs, defeating a set number of monsters in an instanced encounter, etc.) rather than RNG boxes or excessive material grinds.
  • Provide players who have already obtained ascended gear the option of turning in their old ascended for an equitable amount of materials and/or gold.  They can keep their current gear if they prefer, of course.
  • Explain the reasons ascended was introduced in the first place: not the marketing "reasons," but the serious ones, such as a concern about losing player retention or a change in philosophy of the developers.  Public relations personnel should not be allowed to edit or critique this part; it needs to be as honest and open as possible.
  • Plans for a new activity: The Skill Hunt.  (This could coincide with a larger, much needed revamp of the skill system.)  Horizontal progression can be maintained by hunting elite and powerful bosses, whose skills must be captured after they are defeated, much in the spirit of GW1.
At least that's how I would go about it.

#6 davadude

davadude

Seraph Guardian

• News Correspondents
  • 1342 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostDarkobra, on 08 September 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

No mail to say they got my report. 9 months ago. No mail to say it's on their to-do list. Just ignored. My next step is going to be the forum. It's just bad form to leave any flaw alone, especially when their attention has been drawn to it.

Arenanet specifically states in the /bug menu that they "do not report, comment, or update on any bug fixes sent."  I had the same thing with a problem preventing me from seeing my story in the hero panel.  It took them 5 months, but they did fix it.  Text edits are commonly ranked... low...

View PostP4ndora, on 08 September 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Sadly, anet already started censoring. There was a thread that got deleted after a few hours, it had around 4-5 pages and filled with a lot of valid concerns about ascended crafting.

There is still a master thread.  It all got mixed into one thread.  Try again.
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#7 Skyward

Skyward

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Changing the rules will Always cause people to complain. And I notice lots of players finally want to PLAY the game instead of being forced to participate in an increasing amount of events. Not that Anet forces them to do so, but its all about farming and achiefments, and the feeling to miss something.

#8 ErickAlastor

ErickAlastor

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[EL]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostFantasy Trope, on 08 September 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

I think the release of more ascended gear is reopening old wounds. [...]

Imo pretty unrealistic, but I like it.
For me a clear communication and the courage to say "we are sorry" would totally redeem them.
Even if they would not change a single thing in the game.
Ok I will leave, but if anyone (that doesn't care about grinding) searching for a new mmorpg to play would ask me "can you suggest me an mmorpg?" I will say for sure "GW2".

Edited by ErickAlastor, 08 September 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#9 Ruby

Ruby

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Guild Wars 2 is shrinking in North American and Europe. Although gem sales are apparently strong; revenue minus cost of operations are probably below NCsoft's expectations. I think this will have an impact on Arenanet's funding in future projects. I'm expecting lower quality going forward.

It also appears that Arenanet is preparing for the Asian market.

The grindfest that is the Sept 3rd patch for Ascended weapons is indicative of their intended business strategy. The Asian market responds favorably to grinding. Apparently the Asian gaming population prefer grinding. Developing a grinding game is more cost effective and profitable than producing complex, challenging, problem solving content.

I think the negativity on the official forums is normal and to be expected. The North American and European markets don't respond very well to grinding.

#10 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostP4ndora, on 08 September 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

...is it me, or there are more negative posts on official forums than here nowadays? :o

Forums are always a magnet for complaints. Its even worse for MMO's, even worse for games with a competitive component, and even worse when the game is a sequel to another game that had a substantial following who felt said sequel should have been the same game over again. GW2 is all of those.

Its not just the official forums, by the way.

View PostRuby, on 08 September 2013 - 08:06 PM, said:

Guild Wars 2 is shrinking in North American and Europe. Although gem sales are apparently strong; revenue minus cost of operations are probably below NCsoft's expectations. I think this will have an impact on Arenanet's funding in future projects. I'm expecting lower quality going forward.

I'd be curious to see a source on this info, if you happen to have it handy.

#11 Ruby

Ruby

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

View Posttypographie, on 08 September 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I'd be curious to see a source on this info, if you happen to have it handy.

Download NCsoft's financial report for Q2 2013 and analyse the 5th page.

http://www.ncsoft.ne...r/earnings.aspx

You'll notice that their sales revenue in North American and Europe (excluding royalties) is shrinking. I would expect expansions for GW2. Sales are far too weak to sustain the business via the gem store.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that resources may have shifted towards the creation of an expansion pack. Ascended weapons and armor may be a necessary grind to buy time and raise funds.

Edited by Ruby, 08 September 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#12 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators
  • 2951 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[TWIT]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

Any topic focusing on "negativity" is really tough to keep around on any forum. Yes, there are possible answers present on both sides of the argument, but, considering negativity is an opinion, most of it is difficult to support. The idea is not completely off the table, though.

You're free to pop into, say, a thread about ascended weapons and discuss how players are responding to them (so as long as it's constructive).

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users