#1 Moxtidus

Moxtidus

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:25 PM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=F7MN2j-CRdc

WoW.  

Did someone actually had the balls to cross the line ?

Do not post this on gw2 official forum, mods are a bit nervous atm.

Edited by Moxtidus, 12 September 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#2 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

This in a nice start, but despite the video being one hour long he still only managed to cover about 25% of all of the problems the game has been having ever since open tests.

#3 Featherman

Featherman

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

So ANet was trying to emulate LoL? Well I don't think that turned out too well. SPvP is nothing like LoL, not in terms of accessibility nor depth.

#4 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:21 AM

Well, no GvG. Figures. It seems more and more like this dev team doesn't want anything to do with GW1. It's a shame that they can't even build upon what it did well. Like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

#5 turbo234

turbo234

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:53 AM

So I was a little confused by the multiple links in the video description, but if I read that right are they finally implementing more game modes?

http://imgur.com/5Bu8XGg

Edited by turbo234, 13 September 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#6 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Any footnotes? I'm not spending an hour on a guy talking about something he can wrap up in 5 minutes.

#7 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

He missed several problems with the game entirely, and then blew up several not so important problems as if they were a big deal.
There was a few good points in there, but that video was over an hour long....
It was a bit funny just how colored his opinion was on many subjects.

He also seemed... misinformed on a few things. In particular the things pertaining to the upcoming bloodlust "new orb" stuff in WvW. The video was posted today so i don't see why he's talking as if it hasn't been revealed to us already. There's a video of a dev showing step by step every facet of the upcoming WvW changes.

And anyone know who he is? I'm not one for keeping track of "gaming celebs", and his youtube channel doesn't have much on it... Is this just a guy with an hour long rant on things he doesn't like, or is he a prominent member of the PvP scene? Or perhaps an alpha tester? he kept mentioning that.

#8 Bronxbob

Bronxbob

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GODS]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostArewn, on 13 September 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

And anyone know who he is? I'm not one for keeping track of "gaming celebs", and his youtube channel doesn't have much on it... Is this just a guy with an hour long rant on things he doesn't like, or is he a prominent member of the PvP scene? Or perhaps an alpha tester? he kept mentioning that.

He was a very good and infamous WvW player who ran the best WvW guild in the game.

He was the first person to reach 250k kills in WvW, and played Alpha for a long time.

He knows the game inside and out.

I'm guessing you don't play much WvW eh?

Edited by Bronxbob, 13 September 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#9 Fantasy Trope

Fantasy Trope

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[EZ]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

View PostArewn, on 13 September 2013 - 01:48 AM, said:

Yeah, he was an alpha tester, booted from beta (?) because of his attitude.  (From the video: he had "shouting match" arguments with Jon Peters, claiming he saw problems that would cripple PvP.)

He's also quite prominent in the WvW scene.  He was world first Ultimate Dominator [edit: Realm Avenger, sorry!], (250,000 kills):

https://forum-en.gui...mate-Dominator/

He also led what was considered by many (some?) the best WvW guild, Red Guard.

As for the video, it was basically a long: "I told you so" about the failure of the ESports (4k viewers at PAX = fail) and PvP portions of the game (capture mode = bad idea), with some leaked info supporting some of his arguments (most important being a dev post saying GvG wasn't a development priority).  It seems like someone frustrated that he was ultimately ignored by the devs during key stages of development, where he saw problems that could have been headed off.  (At least that's what I got out of it.)

In some ways, he's right, although the video could have been much shorter and seems to come from a place of frustration, even anger, more than anything else.

Edited by Fantasy Trope, 13 September 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#10 Dakkaface

Dakkaface

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[HoS]

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:06 AM

View PostMoxtidus, on 12 September 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Someone give me the cliff-notes, a summary or an essay format version of this because I let this fool waste 3 and a half minutes rambling and didn't hear so much as a thesis statement out of him.  I'm not wasting an hour listening to him talk in circles to find out what he's trying to say.

#11 Fantasy Trope

Fantasy Trope

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[EZ]

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:08 AM

Okay, here's a better summary than mine:

http://www.reddit.co...d_wvw_a/cc77nz5

#12 Dakkaface

Dakkaface

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[HoS]

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostFantasy Trope, on 13 September 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Okay, here's a better summary than mine:

http://www.reddit.co...d_wvw_a/cc77nz5

Awesome.  That saves me wasting an hour to find out he doesn't make a single point about anything I care about.

#13 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostBronxbob, on 13 September 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

He was a very good and infamous WvW player who ran the best WvW guild in the game.

He was the first person to reach 250k kills in WvW, and played Alpha for a long time.

He knows the game inside and out.

I'm guessing you don't play much WvW eh?

View PostFantasy Trope, on 13 September 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Yeah, he was an alpha tester, booted from beta (?) because of his attitude.  (From the video: he had "shouting match" arguments with Jon Peters, claiming he saw problems that would cripple PvP.)

He's also quite prominent in the WvW scene.  He was world first Ultimate Dominator [edit: Realm Avenger, sorry!], (250,000 kills):

https://forum-en.gui...mate-Dominator/

He also led what was considered by many (some?) the best WvW guild, Red Guard.

As for the video, it was basically a long: "I told you so" about the failure of the ESports (4k viewers at PAX = fail) and PvP portions of the game (capture mode = bad idea), with some leaked info supporting some of his arguments (most important being a dev post saying GvG wasn't a development priority).  It seems like someone frustrated that he was ultimately ignored by the devs during key stages of development, where he saw problems that could have been headed off.  (At least that's what I got out of it.)

In some ways, he's right, although the video could have been much shorter and seems to come from a place of frustration, even anger, more than anything else.
Thanks for the info, this makes the difference between "some random guy with a biased rant" and "valuable information from an experienced individual". His format was terrible though, a disjointed rant where he randomly cut in things he forgot or figured out later, stuffed into an hour long video. And unfortunately anything of value he had to say was lost as a result, the video coming off as little more then a "I know better even though there's no proof my concept would have worked better, and also GvG NAO" (I'm not saying that's actually the case, just that the format and poor communication resulted in it appearing that way).

And not a whole lot of WvW no, I'll pop on every now and again and join in on BG's TS3.

#14 Featherman

Featherman

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Oh so this video is really about lack of GvG due to development issues? I gave up after the 10 minute mark, so I thought it was a rant on ANet's eSports goals for sPvP, which is like beating a dead horse at this point.
To be perfectly fair, support GvG was never promised so it's not fair to really rant about ANet ruining the improvised GvG in WvW. However, I can see where he's coming from because there's currently no out let for such game modes at the moment. If players are willing to go out of the way to play GvG, maybe that's something ANet should deliver on. Even if it's initially slapped together using pre-existing resources (which is really what King of the hill and Deathmatch seem to be right now) it'll be better than what these GvGers currently have.

#15 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

View PostFeatherman, on 13 September 2013 - 02:42 AM, said:

Oh so this video is really about lack of GvG due to development issues? I gave up after the 10 minute mark, so I thought it was a rant on ANet's eSports goals for sPvP, which is like beating a dead horse at this point.
To be perfectly fair, support GvG was never promised so it's not fair to really rant about ANet ruining the improvised GvG in WvW. However, I can see where he's coming from because there's currently no out let for such game modes at the moment. If players are willing to go out of the way to play GvG, maybe that's something ANet should deliver on. Even if it's initially slapped together using pre-existing resources (which is really what King of the hill and Deathmatch seem to be right now) it'll be better than what these GvGers currently have.
Pretty much yes, most of what he says ties back into "oh and GvG... etc". That's what gave my original impression of "his views seem very colored", because he kept bringing up and tying everything into GvG when GvG doesn't even exist in this game. Constantly talking about the alpha, which was over a year ago, didn't help either.

#16 Neo Nugget

Neo Nugget

Quaggan Hipster

• Administrators
  • 2948 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[TWIT]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:59 AM

We don't need to start a giant thread on five+ different topics when there are plenty of existing threads available. This is also a fantastic way to start rumors and spread false information. Move along, folks.

Thanks.

"The only difference, Connor - the only difference between myself and those you aid is that I do not feign affection."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users