voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[OOE]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

Hey all, was talking to a friend yesterday who suggested I carry a mace/shield combo for dungeons for a more "tanky" style.I have never used that combo, I like Hammer/Staff or Greatsword/staff, but want to give it a go. All my other weapons are Pearl Exotics so far, and Claw of Jormag happened to drop an exotic Mace upon death earlier today. So I need a good shield to go with it now. Now so far I have Berserker hammer and Greatsword, Droknars Forgehammer(mace w/ Vitality/Healing/Cond and Superior Sigil of Agony- bleeding) ) and a Clerics Staff of Force. I am thinking I should go clerics on the shield, with Healing/ power/ toughness, but also thought possibly Knights (Tough/power/precision), or Apothecary (Healing/Tough/condition) I figured I would put this out there for some feedback as to what to make. Just looking to have better survivability/defense for certain runs and also want my AH(Altruistic Healing) to be at a good level to sustain the group. I will be working on my other armor also as at the time I made what exotics i could,,,,, Heavy Boots, Explorers legs, Explorers Gloves,Guild Chest so I forget the base, Clerics shoulders, and Explorers Helm.. So I need to change a few things there.. Thanks in advance!

GM of [OOE] Order of Explorers on Tarnished Coast server.

For info, contact me on Voltorsfury.3791

http://ooexplorers.shivtr.com

#2 Epixors

Epixors

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LSL]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Apothecary: Guardian has terrible scaling for healing power and no condition damage.
Knights: Good enough if you can't manage to run berserker's, or if you want to be tanky (which you shouldn't really want because you'll be tanky enough if you equip a hammer or focus).

Overall I have no idea on what basis you pick your gear, in a dungeon you just want to do as much DPS as possible :\ If you do want to be tanky however I suggest taking a look at: http://www.guildwars...n-anchor-build/

They aren't the greatest builds, but they are tankier than most and will do far more damage than what you are currently trying.

#3 voltorsfury

voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks! I will look when I get home. Tbh when I setup my guardians gear, I wasn't sure of too many things. Have learnef a few since then. I want to maximize power and dps while being able to get in close and withstand a few hits. I hear people talking 20k to even 30k hp, and from memory I think I'm around 15-17. I just don't feel as "tough" as I should. Hope this makes sense. I am replying on my phone, lol Can do a little more once back home. Thank again!

#4 AMonkeyCourier

AMonkeyCourier

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Just run full berserker. Don't aim to be a bad player.

#5 voltorsfury

voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

To the first reply, I looked over the post you sent me, thanks for that! A lot of good info. I am going to try out a few things in this for sure! I do mostly play hammer now so it won't be too much of a change. I appreciate the positive feedback!

#6 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

I hear people talking 20k to even 30k hp, and from memory I think I'm around 15-17.

Guardians have low base health, the lowest in the game along with thieves and eles. Gearing 100% for vitality as a guardian probably still wouldn't get you to 30k, and you'd utterly annihilate your DPS in the process.

15k is reasonable for a guardian, and berserker armor is fine. Guardians have access to AOE blinds, Aegis, Protection, reflects and perma-vigor. They can also do great DPS and are a huge asset to a dungeon run with some precision and crit damage.

#7 voltorsfury

voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Thanks! I tried a few small changes after reading what the first poster replied. Made some sense and learned a bit. I didn't realize base health was so low on Guardians, but do realize their potential! I appreciate the tip!

#8 Beefjus

Beefjus

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Gearing full soldiers will only net you around 23k max HP...I've done this...you do not want this... Sure, you can take hits like nobodies business, but you're also pulling down the group's DPS.

You can craft a Mystic Shield and give it a different skin, it's what I did . haha!

#9 voltorsfury

voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

I am currently sitting at 15-16k HP, and Attack power is 2966, my gear is good enough for now, and I can work on the runes, as they are mix and matched.. I went with a cleric shield, but need to learn the abiliies still. I currently go hammer/staff and really like it, just really wanted to try out a Mace/Shield combo for when I need to be more defensive.(like the only heavy in a pug of ranged or something like that) I appreciate all the feedback. The guide the first poster gave me has been a nice help! Going to look at it again now for more ideas on tweaks.

#10 AMonkeyCourier

AMonkeyCourier

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Shield is one of the least "defensive" options you could pick. It doesn't have the on-demand blocks and blinds of the focus, the range of the torch or the perma protection from the hammer. The mace provides minimal protection when being swarmed by multiple targets as the sole melee on a team and functions as more of a duelling weapon for PvP. For fighting swarms, the AOE blinds on the sword and greatsword will be what provides defense, not a paltry heal and a single block.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's a shield. The thing is useless for keeping yourself alive in most situations.

Edited by AMonkeyCourier, 25 October 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#11 voltorsfury

voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

Yeah I know exactly what you are referring to with not judging a piece of equipment by what it is physically in this game. A few combos have surprised me in the time I have been playing now, about 16 months. A friend of mine from Wow, Rift etc. recently came over here and loves the game. But she was a little taken aback when I said I see a lot of rangers going greatsword. LOL perfectly viable in game, just not how some people imagine their ranger when creating it. Back to the matter at hand. I carry a Greatsword exotic, Hammer exotic, and Staff exotic in my bags atm. I am really starting to like the weapon swap to staff more and more as i get more comfortable doing it. Currently I am working on making Zojja's Warhammer and am just about finished. Looking forward to it! http://wiki.guildwar...jja's_Warhammer

#12 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Assassin's Sword/Shield, scepter, PvT Staff
Berserker Trinkets

Based on my groups' composition and experience, I use the following for armors:

Berserker (Ruby orbs)
Knights ( w/ Lyssa)
Knights (w/Soldiers)
PvT ( w/ Lyssa)
Magi (w/ boon duration increase setup)

#13 voltorsfury

voltorsfury

Fahrar Cub

• Curse Premium
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

Based on my groups' composition and experience, I use the following for armors:

Thanks for sharing. I am with a smaller guild, and we are working towards a group to do runs with. Mostly in guild pick ups, partial pugs atm. So I don't really know what sets i should setup for that situation yet. We are getting there though. I am pretty happy with current gearing but could still be improved upon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gw 2, craft, guardian, shield, dungeon, toughness, healing, guild wars 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users