Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

Is this a good idea or ripe for abuse? I just saw this pop up in reddit. I know some players aren't coming back at all to the game for one thing or another but will this bring back the ones that wander to try different game or the one that simply inactive for one reason or another other then not hating the game. Should the time of being inactive be longer? Some will ask, "Why are we giving free gems to inactive playerss in the first place and why are they giving it or doing it in the first place. I've spent money on gems and they're giving away to these people, where are my free gems" It's not about greed is this good ploy or should they go back on the drawing board and try another tactic? I really hope this isn't a phishing attempt from bad websites.

Source:
http://www.reddit.co...ms_anyone_else/

Picture: Posted Image

Edited by Azure Skye, 11 November 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#2 Castaa

Castaa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

The best use for 400 gems is likely to convert it into gold.

Yay, inflation!

:zip:

#3 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:39 AM

View PostCastaa, on 11 November 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

The best use for 400 gems is likely to convert it into gold.

Yay, inflation!

:zip:
I agree on that, Oooo. I didnt think about that.

i know people will feel they got shafted after spending a lot of real life money and getting a kite and minis, i feel the pain but they arent the target audience of this at all, they're trying to bring back inactive players to play the game. I know, its a tactic/ ploy to bring back people to play.

Edited by Azure Skye, 11 November 2013 - 06:41 AM.

#4 RagiNagi

RagiNagi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

but thats good. hopefully they will sell all the gems to the store and then we will have cheaper gems whooray!

On the other hand, maybe there will be so much gems in players hands, that Anet will decide to rise the price of store merchandise. Although, they are probably not scheming and rooting against players that much.

And honestly, i don't get what is it good for to get back the inactive players. rather don't, They just cause lags on servers and don't bring any money anymore. Rather give 400gems to the new players. oO

Lastedit: if Anet actually follows this advice and starts giving gems to newcomers, i want the credit and peace of that cake. Roaarr

Edited by RagiNagi, 11 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#5 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

Seraph Guardian

• Content Writers
  • 1275 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

The best way to bring back inactive players would have been an expansion ;)

#6 Lady Rhonwyn

Lady Rhonwyn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWO]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

View Postshanaeri rynale, on 11 November 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

The best way to bring back inactive players would have been an expansion ;)

Then they'll finish that expension within 2 weeks and leave again....
Or they never really liked the game play of GW2 and won't come back for an expansion either...

There are a lot of reasons why people stop playing.  Maybe they're bored with the current content, or they didn't like to play a MMO at all, or the farming turned them off (it's one of the things I'm really starting to dislike: a lot of people only wanting to get as much money in as short a period of time).  Or the fact that all new armour/weapon skins are only in the gemstore (or in general, the RNG in the gemstore).  Or they simply always grow bored of a game after a few months and move on to the next one.

I don't think there's a single solution to bring players "back" to the game.   You might lure some people back, for a short while, by giving them some free gems, but I doubt they stay, if their original problem with the game wasn't removed.

#7 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Since the game has, Living Story wise, been in a full swing quality-limbo, setting the bar lower and lower with each instance of it (while some points of the game have gradually become less painful, I should add) - I doubt this will do anything to bind players.

Though I am sure a few gullible fools will take those 400 gems, see the new armour and throw another 10 €/$ down their maw to get it - then leave after another week, seeing the game has nothing to offer them, besides dazzling trinkets.

It certainly won't cost them much to do it though, so I guess it's a valid strategy to battle declining retention rates.

Addressing the flaws of the game would likely do a lot more, however and if I were them, I'd rather focus on retaining my customers (the collaborative development stunt was a good example for that) than worry about those who have gone - because it's very unlikely anyone who left, will come back just because you spam their email accounts with a trusty look.

And in regards to 400 gems and what to do with it: Why would you exchange them to gold now? Inflation is only bound to get worse, so your best bet would probably be to keep all those gems you get for free via achievements or those little gifts like that - because they are really the only assets that steadily adjusts to the inflation, aren't they?

Giving gems to new-comers however, would be an even worse idea - I mean, they are supposed to be hot for the game any way, if they don't stick around for a while without those 400 gems to whet their appetites, it's safe to say you should have other problems to worry about. That said, I don't think that GW2 is particularly unappealing for new comers, it's quite the ride actually if you play it for the first time. We still got people applying for our guild who just started and are filled up to the brim with amazement - the issue just is, that that usually doesn't carry past max-level and people start to turn their backs for various reasons.

Edited by Illein, 11 November 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#8 Senatic

Senatic

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1913 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

View PostLady Rhonwyn, on 11 November 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

I don't think there's a single solution to bring players "back" to the game.   You might lure some people back, for a short while, by giving them some free gems, but I doubt they stay, if their original problem with the game wasn't removed.

Having some sort of real competitive end game might be a good start. Cus currently there is none and that is the main reason so many players left GW2 in my estimation. Casual direction less content only holds people so long.

I'm really starting to tire of the 2 week skinner box rotation myself. Grinding for better gear or grinding for meaningless achievement points every 2 weeks it's pretty much the exact same thing.

Edited by Senatic, 11 November 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#9 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

As an afterthought: Doling out 400 free gems, will probably make each person receiving that e-mail log in at least once to retrieve them. I mean it doesn't cost you any thing - if you still have even only a remote interest in the game, you're benefitting from it - so it's not too bad of a marketing move really.

#10 RagiNagi

RagiNagi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostIllein, on 11 November 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

As an afterthought: Doling out 400 free gems, will probably make each person receiving that e-mail log in at least once to retrieve them. I mean it doesn't cost you any thing - if you still have even only a remote interest in the game, you're benefitting from it - so it's not too bad of a marketing move really.
but whats the point really? The users that were not interested, will probably not get interested. its not that they left because of not achieving some mini's or armor skins. If they have decided to leave, it's their choice, rather get new players online.
///

Actually [...] this should change.

///

As I was writing an essay to tell you that there is no need to get the old players back, i realized that game has actually changed quite a bit in the last few months or so. And it is could invite players to hang on for some more time, with all the looking for party system, involving living story events (that are actually happening while you are just roaming around), nice loot from champs etc.
It has actually turned into a quite decent game. I remember quitting it few months ago, just because gw2 seemed too grindy and plain. But now i accidentally started it again, and it has turned into a gripping game. Why didnt I wait few months longer, i would have received 400gems just like that. in a blink of an eye.

Nonetheless, I still don't see the reason why Anet should focus on players that have already bought the game, instead of focusing on new players. The amount of newbies around (just go to any starter area - bunch of them) shows that the game is still in demand. Is Anet trying to be the good guy and trying to serve all its customers, even those that don't really matter?

P.s. And 400 gems are not all that much.. around 20g, so i wouldn't worry too much about drastic changes in the gem market

Edited by RagiNagi, 11 November 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#11 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

or give them an untradable precursor of their choice = grinding away for a long time to get legendary and will be enticed to purchase gems in order to speed up process = win!

Unless they have one already - then sure give em gems.
Besides they already gave away gems on a few months ago on some failed and exploited thing IRC.

I have been given free gems before and no I never claimed them.

Edited by nerfandderf, 11 November 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#12 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I can't think of a single thing I want from the gem store. I don't want gems. I don't need gems. OR money. I need a quality game.

#13 Faowri

Faowri

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1154 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

People who aren't playing the game would be better lured back by fixing the problems that caused them to stop logging in to begin with.

Meanwhile, the people who continue to play the game would probably respond better to the pat on the back that 400 gems could be.

#14 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostRagiNagi, on 11 November 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

but whats the point really? The users that were not interested, will probably not get interested. its not that they left because of not achieving some mini's or armor skins. If they have decided to leave, it's their choice, rather get new players online.
///

Actually [...] this should change.

///

As I was writing an essay to tell you that there is no need to get the old players back, i realized that game has actually changed quite a bit in the last few months or so. And it is could invite players to hang on for some more time, with all the looking for party system, involving living story events (that are actually happening while you are just roaming around), nice loot from champs etc.
It has actually turned into a quite decent game. I remember quitting it few months ago, just because gw2 seemed too grindy and plain. But now i accidentally started it again, and it has turned into a gripping game. Why didnt I wait few months longer, i would have received 400gems just like that. in a blink of an eye.

Nonetheless, I still don't see the reason why Anet should focus on players that have already bought the game, instead of focusing on new players. The amount of newbies around (just go to any starter area - bunch of them) shows that the game is still in demand. Is Anet trying to be the good guy and trying to serve all its customers, even those that don't really matter?

P.s. And 400 gems are not all that much.. around 20g, so i wouldn't worry too much about drastic changes in the gem market

Companies usually have a vested interest in players who already have their game, as they are more easily lured back into playing their game, I'd imagine. I know Blizzard has a very strict Current Players > Former Players > New Players philosophy which they adhere to, but then again - World of Warcraft is 9 years old and if you haven't checked it out yet (ever), chances are you never will - so might be a different situation to be in.

And while I agree that new players are more important for Guild Wars 2 as a B2P game - to think that new customers are potentially more important than those who have a vested interest in the game already and spend(/t) good money on it, is short sighted. Those who played the game actively for well over a year now, usually have some ongoing ties already with friendships inside and outside the game and if they stuck through this barren wasteland of content, they can only be positively surprised, no?

Yet, they wouldn't need to bribe players (new or old) into playing their game, if they just revitalized it properly. At this point I don't trust them to be able to do it outside of a boxed expansion though as there seems to be zero obligation to deliver play worthy content to their playerbase as long as people put up with crap being shovelled at them. As long as they still buy those armor skins and dye packs, they probably consider the game a great success while a lot of players would beg to differ.

Competition is ramping up over the next 6 months. I do hope that forces ANet to think outside of the box again and maybe come up with something compelling or see their active logins dramatically decrease.

#15 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

• Site Contributors
  • 4913 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

you can't buy anything worthwhile with 400 gems! i would login,  get the 400 gems and then wait for another 400 gems giveaway :P this is such a wrong move!!

It would be better to give the 400 gems to active players ! because then, we/I would have to buy another 400 so that one can actually get something from the gem store.

#16 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

Seraph Guardian

• Content Writers
  • 1275 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

You can buy a lot with 400 Gems ;) For example
2 X black lion keys and a toxic dye kit
1 whole toxic glove set
1 Toxic mantle set
1 mask of the crown
1 Communal Boost bonfire and a swim speed boost

Yeah you're right :D

#17 RagiNagi

RagiNagi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

View PostIllein, on 11 November 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

Companies usually have a vested interest in players who already have their game, as they are more easily lured back into playing their game, I'd imagine. I know Blizzard has a very strict Current Players > Former Players > New Players philosophy which they adhere to, but then again - World of Warcraft is 9 years old and if you haven't checked it out yet (ever), chances are you never will - so might be a different situation to be in.

And while I agree that new players are more important for Guild Wars 2 as a B2P game - to think that new customers are potentially more important than those who have a vested interest in the game already and spend(/t) good money on it, is short sighted. Those who played the game actively for well over a year now, usually have some ongoing ties already with friendships inside and outside the game and if they stuck through this barren wasteland of content, they can only be positively surprised, no?

Yet, they wouldn't need to bribe players (new or old) into playing their game, if they just revitalized it properly. At this point I don't trust them to be able to do it outside of a boxed expansion though as there seems to be zero obligation to deliver play worthy content to their playerbase as long as people put up with crap being shovelled at them. As long as they still buy those armor skins and dye packs, they probably consider the game a great success while a lot of players would beg to differ.

Competition is ramping up over the next 6 months. I do hope that forces ANet to think outside of the box again and maybe come up with something compelling or see their active logins dramatically decrease.

Yeah, i get the thing about having more respect towards elite players (current players) when the monthly or any kind of fee is involved. But somehow, it seems useless in the case of GW2. Unless Anet is planning to release an expansion set soon, which will bring the inactive to the climax of their wet dreams.

Actually the concept of the game is the thing that brings so much players here. You buy it and you have freedom of choice afterwards. let it rust in the dark corners of your pc or cd-case, and come back in a while. Its all free of charge, just the one purchase of the game-key, you don't have to pay real money for nothing. In this sequel even the stuff at the store is sold for ig money.

What I want to say is that the game is so forgiving to the players who decide to leave and then come back that there is no point of helping them even further. Rather get the new players want to play and join more. Say, give the 1st char some xp boost, or skill point boost or something.

again my peace of cake ^^

Edited by RagiNagi, 11 November 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#18 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

If all the game offers are achievement points and every once in a while a unique one-time reward (however shitty it might be) you miss basically EVERYTHING the game has to offer, if you don't play.

There is not much beyond that, there just isn't. So either you stay in the game and do your routine achievement hunt every 2 to 4 weeks, or you hop off the train and likely never look back again unless the entire way content was delivered for well over a year now - radically changes. Especially as you can't ever catch up again in GW 2.

So yeah, in my opinion - it's not as forgiving for people who take a break, than the payment model might lead you to believe.

#19 RagiNagi

RagiNagi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

All those events of living world are just a matter of title/gear hunting. If a person does not like the items presented at the end, there is no point of doing these. It probably differs from person to person, what do they want from the game. But i know quite a lot of people, who are not at all interested in the living story or whatever, they are just doing the quests for exp and items to sell off later on. Sure by being away you miss some info about lore and history of the game, but those things are trivial. and you can catch up with everything - skill changes, market changes, map changes etc. Basically once, you reach lvl 80, all the doors are opened for you anytime - events, dungeons, activities. And no matter what comes up - you can come back and continue with your char and participate in whatever you want.

Anet is doing a great favor for the type of gamers that are playing this game periodically, which is nice, cuz probably they will be always happy to come back after longer or shorter breaks. Although their main focus should be either the newcomers or the active players, since they are the game changers of this whole thing.

#20 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2249 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I think this just reemphasizes the entire design philosophy of GW2. The game is more about extrinsic rewards than intrinsic rewards. Instead of trying to lure back customers with new campaigns, classes, or new lands to discover - they are relying on gems. Which also reemphasizes the laziness behind these decisions. New content takes time and resources to create. Gems are free to give out.

#21 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 419 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Bone]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

I pretty much stopped playing after a few weeks and long before I got a char to level 80.  I played GW for 6 years.  I have a guild who are very loyal, very helpful and I love them dearly and miss playing with them.

I am not sure what was so magical about GW and why it is missing in GW2 but for me GW was fun all the way (except the solo missions they introduced near the end) and GW2 felt like a grind from the start.

Would gems bring me back? nope, I don't want stuff, I want fun gameplay with my friends.  
Would new content bring me back? nope, never got far with the old content ^^

I have no idea what, if anything, would bring me back to GW2 but all it would take to bring me back to GW is for my friends to start playing again.

Anita Sarkeesian at TEDxWomen 2012

Moderation related questions, or any query just contact me here

(I won’t do your maths homework!)

#22 Miragee

Miragee

Sylvari Specialist

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postpumpkin pie, on 11 November 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

you can't buy anything worthwhile with 400 gems! i would login,  get the 400 gems and then wait for another 400 gems giveaway :P this is such a wrong move!!

It would be better to give the 400 gems to active players ! because then, we/I would have to buy another 400 so that one can actually get something from the gem store.

The thought behind this is: To get something worthwhile from the shop you need to invest extra money. Now you have a start-capital so that amount you are paying to get something isn't as high. Imho, psychologically, this works even better than reduced prices because you actually have the gem's which make you feel they are wasted if you don't by anything and let them rot on your account.

Anyways, I don't want anything in the shop by now.

I also agree that they should make a quality game instead of some loose lure every 2 weeks (after reading again, that's quite ambiguous..). I also hate to say it, but they I dislike systems where the loyal playerbase gets nothing while those who jump around get one candy after another to win them back. A company should, if anything, reward the loyal playerbase.

#23 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostMiragee, on 11 November 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

The thought behind this is: To get something worthwhile from the shop you need to invest extra money. Now you have a start-capital so that amount you are paying to get something isn't as high. Imho, psychologically, this works even better than reduced prices because you actually have the gem's which make you feel they are wasted if you don't by anything and let them rot on your account.

Anyways, I don't want anything in the shop by now.

I also agree that they should make a quality game instead of some loose lure every 2 weeks (after reading again, that's quite ambiguous..). I also hate to say it, but they I dislike systems where the loyal playerbase gets nothing while those who jump around get one candy after another to win them back. A company should, if anything, reward the loyal playerbase.

Hey, you got a kite for the Queen's Gambit for being loyal, you ungrateful tit! :D

If anything, I am sincerely surprised they didn't put that damn kite up in the gem store for a staggering amount of gems just so people would say: "Hey, I bought gems once and I got that prestigious monkey-demon of a kite as a thank you. If you want it, you gotta dole out some 90.000 gems. Pays off to be loyal, fellas!" :D

Edited by Illein, 11 November 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#24 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostRagiNagi, on 11 November 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

Yeah, i get the thing about having more respect towards elite players (current players) when the monthly or any kind of fee is involved. But somehow, it seems useless in the case of GW2. Unless Anet is planning to release an expansion set soon, which will bring the inactive to the climax of their wet dreams.

Actually the concept of the game is the thing that brings so much players here. You buy it and you have freedom of choice afterwards. let it rust in the dark corners of your pc or cd-case, and come back in a while. Its all free of charge, just the one purchase of the game-key, you don't have to pay real money for nothing. In this sequel even the stuff at the store is sold for ig money.

What I want to say is that the game is so forgiving to the players who decide to leave and then come back that there is no point of helping them even further. Rather get the new players want to play and join more. Say, give the 1st char some xp boost, or skill point boost or something.

again my peace of cake ^^

But they threw that concept out the window 3 months in and people are still very very bitter. Especially how Anet forged ahead with the LS content when the large majority isnt really in favour of it.

I agree that those of whom left that didnt do it ideological reason (VP) that a revamp of the game and fixing a lot of the issue would go a long way to enticing a lot of the players back. But really what will they expect?

Without expansion and only minor updates and content people burn out on Anet seem lost. That revamp will only hold players for a small amount of time if nothing really new is added and with the competition coming why bother?
In the end would people check it out? I expect they would but would they stay and spend $?

The game isnt kind to those that leave. They fall behind on whatever new gear grind anet adds. At this time it is ascend. That is basically hidden behind a time wall. 1/day to obtain material.
SO if you like WvW but been away for 6 months - you are not only at a statistical disadvantage but the grind to get the gear is hidden behind grind for mats and a timegate for a specific material.
That material alone could take months to obtain - all the while at a disadvantage.

Edited by nerfandderf, 11 November 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#25 RagiNagi

RagiNagi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

View PostAero, on 11 November 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

I pretty much stopped playing after a few weeks and long before I got a char to level 80.  I played GW for 6 years.  I have a guild who are very loyal, very helpful and I love them dearly and miss playing with them.

I am not sure what was so magical about GW and why it is missing in GW2 but for me GW was fun all the way (except the solo missions they introduced near the end) and GW2 felt like a grind from the start.

Would gems bring me back? nope, I don't want stuff, I want fun gameplay with my friends.  
Would new content bring me back? nope, never got far with the old content ^^

I have no idea what, if anything, would bring me back to GW2 but all it would take to bring me back to GW is for my friends to start playing again.
The magic of GW1 was that it had only 20 levels, early on you could get the max armor, weapons and just do the missions, quests or whatever as good as your friends/others. There were no level restrictions or anything.

As for gw2, I also quit the game 2 times before i got my first char to lvl 80. Now it is a nice routine game. When there is nothing to do, you can easily join high end areas, craft stuff and earn gold :ph34r:.

View Postnerfandderf, on 11 November 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

But they threw that concept out the window 3 months in and people are still very very bitter. Especially how Anet forged ahead with the LS content when the large majority isnt really in favour of it.

Without expansion and only minor updates and content people burn out on Anet seem lost. That revamp will only hold players for a small amount of time if nothing really new is added and with the competition coming why bother?
In the end would people check it out? I expect they would but would they stay and spend $?

What is wrong with living story? why are people so dissatisfied with it?
And to those who find the game boring or anything, I'm not sure, maybe it is just me, but almost every day I find something new in the game - guild puzzles, races, jumping stuff, pvp arenas. I think the problem lays in the fact that people/players cant accept the change from gw1 to gw2. I really believe that most of the players just feel overwhelmed with stuff to do in the game, that they don't see the point of the game (and most likely there is none, just setting your own individual goals). Here I'm not talking about people, who already has bunch of achievement points, but about people who haven't even tried half of what this game has to offer.

And it is really nice that Anet is giving these free gems to long gone players. Cuz I started to play again after 4 months of not playing, because i got bored one day and ran the game. And i was so gladly surprised that the game actually rewards me for stuff that i have done. With the chests about my achievements and stuff like that. The game setting is turned in totally different light than it was before ( half a year ago ). If you have played constantly, you probably don't notice the changes that are around you, but as a retired player, you get bombs of updates and stuff, it makes you intrigued.  And I believe that people who will follow this lure and try out the game another time will stay here for longer. Nonetheless, I really don't get why is Anet focusing on players that have forgotten the thing rather than trying to seduce new players.

#26 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostRagiNagi, on 11 November 2013 - 05:45 PM, said:

Nonetheless, I really don't get why is Anet focusing on players that have forgotten the thing rather than trying to seduce new players.

Because it is easier to try and get someone who already paid for the game interested by buying that interest with 400 gems for free than trying to sell someone who hasn't bought the game yet to spend $30-$50 to buy a game that, at this point, doesn't have nearly the same hype it did before it was launched.

#27 Castaa

Castaa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

400 Gems is a sweetener to cover the fact they are spamming former customers (players).

On Anet's part, it's a good idea.  Even if only 5% come back and start playing again, that's 1000's of additional customers.

#28 El Duderino

El Duderino

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2249 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostCastaa, on 11 November 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

400 Gems is a sweetener to cover the fact they are spamming former customers (players).

On Anet's part, it's a good idea.  Even if only 5% come back and start playing again, that's 1000's of additional customers.

It may be 1,000s of additional customers, but do they pay? How long do they stick around?

It's only a good plan if they come back and spend money or continue to play and add more people to play with. Unfortunately, we will never know if that is really happening - and if the underlying causes of them leaving in the first place haven't been fixed, why would the second time around be so much different for them to stay?

What they should do is make an expansion and give those people a free 7 day trial to the expansion.

#29 RagiNagi

RagiNagi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

now, that's pure speculation - players will come back and buy gems for real money! How many people do you know actually buying gems. I sincerely doubt people paying 10 moneys (Euro or Dollars) for a game they don't play. Especially, if the gems don't bring anything added to the game play or mechanics. All of the stuff there is purely cosmetic.

Not sure if I would stay in a the game and buy gems just because I can afford sailors hat now ;).

#30 ChuyDog08

ChuyDog08

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 11 November 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

What they should do is make an expansion and give those people a free 7 day trial to the expansion.

This is the best idea I have heard to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users