Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

The best part about The Nightmare Within...


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1118 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Guild Tag:[DPS]

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

...is how it ties in with your personal storyline.

Seriously, even though it was just a TINY fraction of this living world chapter, it made my character FEEL like a character.

If you haven't seen the part i'm talking about, it's when you go into a chamber and you see your old mentor(vigil, priory, or whispers), and have to fight him. In my case, it's Warmaster Forgal, who's a beasttt, wasn't expecting him at all. He even has his own dialogue and voice, thank god for that.

#2 Ibari

Ibari

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 930 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

Well, it's time they threw a bone for those who weren't with the Order of Whispers.

Undead Tybalt Leftpaw had his own event out in the wilderness.

#3 AKGeo

AKGeo

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

I haven't seen that one just yet...I've only gotten spider, Logan Thackeray, random toxic mobs, and one other but nobody named. I'll be finishing up that particular achievement tomorrow so maybe I'll see it. Fighting Sieran will be interesting, to say the least.

#4 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1195 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

That part was not bad but something else bothers me about that tower, it`s kind of silly that you need people to get trough tower but you can solo everything in those instanced zones (mini dungeons) ?
I mean wasn`t it more logic to walk/run alone and join others for instance ?

#5 Brandon the Don

Brandon the Don

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 296 posts
  • Location:Somewhere
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[TH]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostI, on 13 November 2013 - 06:07 AM, said:

...is how it ties in with your personal storyline.

Seriously, even though it was just a TINY fraction of this living world chapter, it made my character FEEL like a character.

If you haven't seen the part i'm talking about, it's when you go into a chamber and you see your old mentor(vigil, priory, or whispers), and have to fight him. In my case, it's Warmaster Forgal, who's a beasttt, wasn't expecting him at all. He even has his own dialogue and voice, thank god for that.

I heard about this... This actually got me intrigued... I might see if I can find old Tybalt lurking (even though it's a halucination)...

I am also glad Anet is starting to include your personal choices in the Living Story... It makes the living story more personal - I think something people were missing for a while...

#6 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

When we saw Tybalt as our opponent, my whole group was like "♥♥♥♥ that shit, I won't hurt him - coolest character in the game!" :D So that was rather nice.

Though it's a shame they made him some generic veteran mob who was dealt with rather quickly.

Though they aren't really including anything from YOUR personal story into it as far as I could tell, they simply put in random encounters of all the factions. I guess that's a bit like zodiac signs and the whole astrology shenanigan - it's so general that everyone feels it's tailored to their lives ;)

Edited by Illein, 13 November 2013 - 05:22 PM.


#7 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostIbari, on 13 November 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Well, it's time they threw a bone for those who weren't with the Order of Whispers.

Undead Tybalt Leftpaw had his own event out in the wilderness.

The same event (but with different characters) exist for the other Orders as well.

#8 zacharias

zacharias

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 14 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WwCd]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

The best part was the chance to finally kill Trahearne.

#9 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 493 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

With a group of 5, the balance between these final room encounters seems to be all over the place:
- Eir & Garm were a very tough pair to bring down
- Tybalt went down really fast
- Forgal was relatively easy
- Aetherblade group (IIRC 3 to 4 classes) was a good challenge, but not too hard
- Krait group (IIRC 3 to 4 mixed classes) was probably our hardest match-up.  One of the mobs jumps all over the place and can one-shot squishies.

I've only done about 8 chambers so far, so I haven't seen all the mob variations yet.

#10 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4913 posts
  • Location:ArenaNet's Pantry
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

I killed Trahearne :P

#11 Arrows Jack

Arrows Jack

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[ECTO]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

As for me.. Getting to fight Logan, I dont know why but I have been wanting to kill him this whole time.. I am human and I enjoy his character for the most part.. But that didnt change the fact that I had this weird desire to kill him.. xD
Also, it was nice the chambers were easily solo-able because during the times my friends/guildies weren't on I could still go into a chamber and finish it just as easy as if I were with 4 other players!

Edited by Feathermoore, 14 November 2013 - 05:45 PM.
removed deleted content


#12 StormDragonZ

StormDragonZ

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 396 posts
  • Location:Syracuse
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[MAGI]
  • Server:Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Scarlet made fun of my Val-A Golem.

I also fought Zojja and Mr.Sparkles.

#13 cobalt

cobalt

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

I took Tybalt down twice... actually said sorry Tybalt but gotta do this.. .cool stuff.

#14 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3314 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Don't forget how Scarlet sometimes say something about your background that you chose in character creation, mine was human and my sister was dead or something, and Scarlet said something along "shame that your sister isn't here to see you"..

Was fun to finally see some of those things tie in, the chambers itself were boring though..

#15 Little Bird

Little Bird

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 438 posts
  • Location:Canada
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

I love the tower except when you DC and you get stuck in an overflow and can't join your friends because they are in an instance. =(

#16 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2918 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I honestly don't see the attraction to this tower or the instances. It was basically a rush through the levels and then into a chamber to free some prisoners. What about destroying the tower? What about killing scarlet? It took me about 15 minutes to go through this and there's literally nothing interesting, aside from the achievements but I don't really stick around for those anyway.

Am I missing something? lol

#17 Reason on Cooldown

Reason on Cooldown

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 404 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostAlex Dimitri, on 13 November 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

That part was not bad but something else bothers me about that tower, it`s kind of silly that you need people to get trough tower but you can solo everything in those instanced zones (mini dungeons) ?
I mean wasn`t it more logic to walk/run alone and join others for instance ?

I saw people yelling at others not to go into instances but to stay with the zerg.  Odd mechanic, and a bit presumptuous.  People have every right to run the instances.

But I think I got gypped.  Other than Logan, I've only seen spiders, a molten brawler, and I think a twisted nightmare.  I certainly don't remember anyone special, and I've finished the achievement, so I've run it a few times.

View PostRobsy128, on 16 November 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

I honestly don't see the attraction to this tower or the instances. It was basically a rush through the levels and then into a chamber to free some prisoners. What about destroying the tower? What about killing scarlet? It took me about 15 minutes to go through this and there's literally nothing interesting, aside from the achievements but I don't really stick around for those anyway.

Am I missing something? lol

Have you made it to the top of the towers?  That's where the boss instance is, and where you contribute to destroying the tower.

#18 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2918 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostReason on Cooldown, on 16 November 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:


Have you made it to the top of the towers?  That's where the boss instance is, and where you contribute to destroying the tower.

I got to the instance on the third level? I couldn't see a way of progressing further to be honest :/

#19 AKGeo

AKGeo

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostIllein, on 13 November 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

When we saw Tybalt as our opponent, my whole group was like "♥♥♥♥ that shit, I won't hurt him - coolest character in the game!" :D So that was rather nice.

Though it's a shame they made him some generic veteran mob who was dealt with rather quickly.

Though they aren't really including anything from YOUR personal story into it as far as I could tell, they simply put in random encounters of all the factions. I guess that's a bit like zodiac signs and the whole astrology shenanigan - it's so general that everyone feels it's tailored to their lives ;)

It's the mentor of the character who opened the instance. I've done it a few times on my warrior, a member of the vigil. Every time I enter the instance it's Forgal I end up fighting. If I'm with a guildie who is of another order and they enter the instance, it's their mentor.

View PostRobsy128, on 16 November 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

I got to the instance on the third level? I couldn't see a way of progressing further to be honest :/

If you fought more than three groups of enemies, including AoEs caused by pink lasers and molten portals, plus a champion boss that dives into the ground....

Let's be real here: you'd know if you fought the guy. so yes, you could have gone further.

#20 Reason on Cooldown

Reason on Cooldown

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 404 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostRobsy128, on 16 November 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

I got to the instance on the third level? I couldn't see a way of progressing further to be honest :/

There are actually 3 instances per level.  They're just not always open.  But you'd know if you were at the final instance, because the entrance is on a small rickety platform high above the pool at the base of the tower.

The best way to prgress if you cannot find your own way is to move with the zerg....or wait for one if it hasn't formed yet.

#21 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2918 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostReason on Cooldown, on 17 November 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

There are actually 3 instances per level.  They're just not always open.  But you'd know if you were at the final instance, because the entrance is on a small rickety platform high above the pool at the base of the tower.

The best way to prgress if you cannot find your own way is to move with the zerg....or wait for one if it hasn't formed yet.

The way you describe it... yeah, that is where I got to. I didn't realize there were other instances, though! I might play through it again later and see where I end up :)

#22 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

View PostReason on Cooldown, on 17 November 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

There are actually 3 instances per level.  They're just not always open.  But you'd know if you were at the final instance, because the entrance is on a small rickety platform high above the pool at the base of the tower.

The best way to prgress if you cannot find your own way is to move with the zerg....or wait for one if it hasn't formed yet.

There are 3 chambers in level 1, 2 in level 2 and 4 in level 3 plus the final instance boss fight near the key chest at the very top.

3 chambers are active at any one time and open and close randomly.

Each section/level can be locked by a boss fight or event.  So if you run across an event, good chance you are going to be required to clear it to continue forward.

Posted Image

Edited by Castaa, 17 November 2013 - 07:08 PM.


#23 Reason on Cooldown

Reason on Cooldown

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 404 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostCastaa, on 17 November 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

There are 3 chambers in level 1, 2 in level 2 and 4 in level 3 plus the final instance boss fight near the key chest at the very top.

3 chambers are active at any one time and open and close randomly.

Each section/level can be locked by a boss fight or event.  So if you run across an event, good chance you are going to be required to clear it to continue forward.

Now THAT'S helpful.  Although I think #6 is considered part of level 2 not level 3.  It may not matter, but I think it affects what color key can drop from it.  I tried to use it to farm elusive pink keys, and I got green....or blue.......well, NOT pink is the point. lol  Just need one more pink key to finish the final achievement.  Fortunately you can buy them (once per day).

Now I just have to decide what to do with all my spore samples.  Not sure what--if any--recipes are worth buying.  And I suspect I'll only be able to afford one before the event ends (two on the outside).  And spore samples aren't as cheap as all the other event-specific material drops (i.e. candy corn).

#24 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:51 AM

Spores will likely rise in price significantly after the chapter is complete.  The question is, where is the low point.

#25 Lady Rhonwyn

Lady Rhonwyn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWO]

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

Got Tybalt this weekend, as opponent.  I just couldn't get myself to finish him (luckily, my partner in crime didn't have that problem :P)

And I loved a piece of conversation between Marjory and Rox, where Marjory thinks Rox isn't a very scary hallucination.

#26 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2247 posts
  • Location:Anywhere I can find loot.
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:20 AM

View PostIbari, on 13 November 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Well, it's time they threw a bone for those who weren't with the Order of Whispers.

Undead Tybalt Leftpaw had his own event out in the wilderness.

WHAT?! I must know more about this. Like now. Please?

#27 guanlongwucaii

guanlongwucaii

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 265 posts
  • Location:Singapore
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[LOO]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

Bloodtide Coast, Whisperwill Bogs. It randomly spawns in the area if you finished Claw Island. I'm fairly sure there is also a corresponding event for Vigil/Priory. My Vigil character encountered a bunch of renegades seeking revenge, although I haven't seen/don't remember anything about an undead Forgal event.

#28 AKGeo

AKGeo

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

I definitely had a veteran risen wizard spawn saying something Exorcist-esque about Seiran being with them in the hive mind or some such thing, but I didn't fight Seiran herself. I also remember something quite recently about Forgal but since the shock of Seiran's encounter already happened, the exact dialogue of Forgal's thing has skipped my mind.

#29 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostAKGeo, on 20 November 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

I definitely had a veteran risen wizard spawn saying something Exorcist-esque about Seiran being with them in the hive mind or some such thing, but I didn't fight Seiran herself. I also remember something quite recently about Forgal but since the shock of Seiran's encounter already happened, the exact dialogue of Forgal's thing has skipped my mind.

Aye, that is most likely due to the fact that Sylvari can't be corrupted ^^




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users