Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * - - - 4 votes

Exotic Items MUST be modified to include Infusion Slots or..


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • Location:3rd rock from the sun
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

The whole concept of Ascended Gear is working counter-productive to the concept of using various stats combinations to counter different situations to the advantage of playerbase. With the advent of ascended gear, a player with full set of ascended gear (cost 500+ gold currently) is pretty much stuck with one set of gear. Hence, it's unrealistic to expect a player will carry more than 1 set of ascended armor to the battle.

I have 5 sets of exotic armors with different stats (Knights, zerk, magi, Soldier, cleric) on my guardian. I switch one set of these armors in favor of another depending on the dungeon, fractal or open world event/group. With ascended armor, I am pretty much stuck with 1 stat with 1 specific set of runes. Why should I be forced to use only one set of armor when there are many options? Or is it ANET's long term vision - One set of Armor, One set of Weapon and one set of skills to rule them all? Is it zerker or GTFO? If so, that's horribad.

My suggestion, introduce infusion slots in exotic armors so that people who don't want to grind can actually remain fairly competitive in higher level fractals. It is very important because with fractured update, number of players forming pugs for fractals have become lower than before. Just look at LFG and anyone can see how many groups are forming 30 or 40+. I highly doubt that people will invest in multiple ascended sets to grind up fractal levels. So, to keep a playerpool viable for fractals it will be essential that ANET rethinks their whole grind philosophy and does the right thing by introducing infusion slots in exotic items.

If that approach is impossible, make all Ascended items similar to legendaries with all the runes and sigils once purchased by a character unlocked for the character. This means one player can choose stats on ascended gear, specifically armor, and switch runes or sigils out of combat if those runes and sigils have already been purchased by the character.

I do not see how people can possibly grind thru 1000s of gold just to acquire an armorset for a dungeon that actually nets less than 2g on average for 60+ minutes of time investment - it beats common sense.

Edited by Zhaitan, 21 December 2013 - 10:35 PM.


#2 Epixors

Epixors

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LSL]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Would you mind telling me in what cases you use those armor sets? The only different armor set I'd ever carry with me is Knight's just to counter a boss with a very strong auto-attack but other than that I think it's just useless to change from my DPS setup.

#3 Jentari

Jentari

    Vanguard Scout

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 250 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

5 sets of armor!  How about you send some of that money to me.

Anyway I too fail to see a need to have 5 sets.  You can make do with 1 set maybe 2 under some circumstances.

#4 DennisChrDk

DennisChrDk

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 415 posts
  • Location:Denmark
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Why would you even want that much agony resistance? If you just have your accessories and weapons with max agony resistance you will have 55,. Which is more than enough to do lvl 49, since you will only take 1% damage an agony tick. The only place where more than 55 is needed is when you do lvl 50, which I doubt anyone do regularly (unless when they actually want to get lvl 50).

#5 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 369 posts
  • Location:3rd rock from the sun
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostJentari, on 21 December 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

You can make do with 1 set maybe 2 under some circumstances.

View PostEpixors, on 21 December 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

Would you mind telling me in what cases you use those armor sets?

This very specific mindset is the biggest failure of a game that has more than 1 armor stat options.

Anyhow, I do not believe this topic has anything to do with how many sets I have but, how many sets one can have and not how many one can live with.

Edited by Zhaitan, 22 December 2013 - 12:33 AM.


#6 Brandon the Don

Brandon the Don

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 296 posts
  • Location:Somewhere
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[TH]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

View PostZhaitan, on 22 December 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

This very specific mindset is the biggest failure of a game that has more than 1 armor stat options.

Anyhow, I do not believe this topic has anything to do with how many sets I have but, how many sets one can have and not one can live with.

Still, you would only need more AR in fractals above 50, if they come out... You are likely gonna plan and wager what is best for these fractals, and base your armour on that... That would most certainly not mean you need 5 sets now, do you?

I can be hella wrong though, but most I need is 2 armours tops... 1 for organized, and 1 for less organaized groups... Though imho, you should not go without an organized group in fractals 30 and beyond...

#7 Exo Dyo

Exo Dyo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[BONE]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostBrandon the Don, on 22 December 2013 - 12:35 AM, said:

Still, you would only need more AR in fractals above 50, if they come out...

Fractals goes until level 80?

#8 Kitanul

Kitanul

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

Wait for legendary armor, that will probably work the same way as the weapon, so wait and change ur stats however you like.

#9 Minion

Minion

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • Location:moi preciouss council house
  • Guild Tag:[Fäp]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

Swapping weapons all the time, yes. Swapping stats all the time- why would you? Unless you're not already using berserkers.

#10 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3974 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:08 AM

If you're willing to accept the stat drop to exotic, losing infusions by compare is irrelevant outside of fractals. And as far as armor goes, you won't need that outside of 50+ whenever that is available; and if you don't know why glass gear is the only choice in high fractals, you probably aren't playing anywhere near 50 anyway.

There's a discussion about whether ascended is good or bad, or how to offer more flexibility in stat choices, but this specific idea doesn't make much sense.

Edited by FoxBat, 22 December 2013 - 02:17 AM.


#11 Epixors

Epixors

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LSL]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostZhaitan, on 22 December 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

This very specific mindset is the biggest failure of a game that has more than 1 armor stat options.

Anyhow, I do not believe this topic has anything to do with how many sets I have but, how many sets one can have and not how many one can live with.

Seriously I am genuinely curious under what circumstances you use those sets, I mean you're probably dragging your group down by using them due to slower kill times so I really want to know under what circumstances you use them.

#12 konsta_hoptrop

konsta_hoptrop

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

so if exotic armor receive infusion slots too... ascended armor would be almost worthless. Ugly as hell especially heavy-medium set. Light set isnt that bad; and slight stats difference.... whole set of ascended armor costs 500 gold and full exotic set cost  5-10 gold... About the 5 armor sets... you really dont need more then 1 full zerk and 1 soldier set. For dungeons and wvw or organised groups. If you can dodge and use the proper skills you can run all dungeon explorable modes with full zerk gear. Especially with guardian / warrior. May be only high level fractals need more balanced stats.

#13 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostKitanul, on 22 December 2013 - 01:15 AM, said:

Wait for legendary armor, that will probably work the same way as the weapon, so wait and change ur stats however you like.

Doubt there will ever be legendary armor at this point. Because they wouldn't increase the grind for people who got it, once they introduce new ascended tiers and increase the level cap, with it.

Mark my words.

And I usually carry at least 3 Sets with me too. And would probably carry a lot more with me, if I could.

Take the set I just built myself - 3 pieces Assassin, 3 Berserker for max dps - of course there's Scholar in it, but I'd not mind to get another identical set with Melandru runes and after I tested out Runes of Vampirism, for a squishy WvW build with high dps - I'd probably grab one of those too.

Then you've got various PVT and Knights pieces you want to swap out in WvW for the standard Hammer/S+WH build with Soldier runes and another with Melandru runes.

There are PLENTY of times I'd want more armors with me for higher flexibility, of course you could say you don't need them all to be ascended (and I will most likely test the Vampirism one with exotics first) but the gist of the matter is, they are Best-in-Slot, so if you want to be the most effective you can be in WvW i.e. - you'll still want them, period.

I don't think that exotics should have infusion slots however, because let's face it, you only really run DPS in Fractals any way, but I'd not mind the ascended pieces to be a little less mats-heavy. The lower tier cloth pieces will probably break people's neck at one point.

#14 Feliponius

Feliponius

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostIllein, on 22 December 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Doubt there will ever be legendary armor at this point. Because they wouldn't increase the grind for people who got it, once they introduce new ascended tiers and increase the level cap, with it.

Mark my words.

And I usually carry at least 3 Sets with me too. And would probably carry a lot more with me, if I could.

Take the set I just built myself - 3 pieces Assassin, 3 Berserker for max dps - of course there's Scholar in it, but I'd not mind to get another identical set with Melandru runes and after I tested out Runes of Vampirism, for a squishy WvW build with high dps - I'd probably grab one of those too.

Then you've got various PVT and Knights pieces you want to swap out in WvW for the standard Hammer/S+WH build with Soldier runes and another with Melandru runes.

There are PLENTY of times I'd want more armors with me for higher flexibility, of course you could say you don't need them all to be ascended (and I will most likely test the Vampirism one with exotics first) but the gist of the matter is, they are Best-in-Slot, so if you want to be the most effective you can be in WvW i.e. - you'll still want them, period.

I don't think that exotics should have infusion slots however, because let's face it, you only really run DPS in Fractals any way, but I'd not mind the ascended pieces to be a little less mats-heavy. The lower tier cloth pieces will probably break people's neck at one point.

The only problem with your best-in-slot argument is that they're only marginally best in slot. They are intended to be better in slot, but not so much better than you'd be able to steamroll people with out it. According to http://dulfy.net/201...ed-armor-stats/ it's only a 5% +/- stat increase at that. I think I noticed 30 points difference in power when I was determining if I wanted to grind to get ascended armor....Nah!

If you want to be able to swap stats then you will need to wait for the legendary versions of that armor. Ascended armor is intended to be the grind for those who want to grind. I have never felt at a disadvantage by not having ascended armor. Ascended trinkets is another story, somewhat, as I've lusted over those things like rock candy, but even then, I don't feel I have to have them for anything other than fractals. And I most certainly never run 5 armor sets :P Wouldn't want to develop carpal tunnel or something!

#15 Echou

Echou

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:Finland
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[ESP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Why just exotic? It would be unfair for rare, masterworks and fines not having infusion slots.

#16 Andemius

Andemius

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 663 posts
  • Guild Tag:[herd]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Just... no.

The only place you need AR is obviously fractals, and if you don't know which set is best for that yet, well there's not much hope for you. I have 2 sets and 3 sets on my primary fractal characters. 3 of these 5 are zerker, the other 2 are condi sets (for wvw roaming or something, I've not used one set in ages).

You can get 70AR from full asc gear minimum. Plus whatever Agony Infusions you can get your hands on. Thats enough for L50, by the time the cap is increased, a fractal player probably will have amassed enough to have that AR hit 100.

#17 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostFeliponius, on 22 December 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

The only problem with your best-in-slot argument is that they're only marginally best in slot. They are intended to be better in slot, but not so much better than you'd be able to steamroll people with out it. According to http://dulfy.net/201...ed-armor-stats/ it's only a 5% +/- stat increase at that. I think I noticed 30 points difference in power when I was determining if I wanted to grind to get ascended armor....Nah!

If you want to be able to swap stats then you will need to wait for the legendary versions of that armor. Ascended armor is intended to be the grind for those who want to grind. I have never felt at a disadvantage by not having ascended armor. Ascended trinkets is another story, somewhat, as I've lusted over those things like rock candy, but even then, I don't feel I have to have them for anything other than fractals. And I most certainly never run 5 armor sets :P Wouldn't want to develop carpal tunnel or something!

That's not a problem in my argument. BiS is BiS, whether it's 1 stat or 100 - doesn't matter to the people who value efficiency or want to be at the highest possible power plateau.

Someone just recently did the maths that it's something a  ~15% increase in damage output from full exotic to full ascended, that's not really 'nothing' either, so while it won't be the single cause of someone steamrolling or getting steamrolled, it certainly tips the scale in either case and when I am in WvW it's not a 1 vs 1 either, it's usually many vs many, so I'll take any +stats I can get my filthy paws on in order to be as efficient as I possibly can ;)

#18 StormDragonZ

StormDragonZ

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 396 posts
  • Location:Syracuse
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[MAGI]
  • Server:Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

I must be playing this game wrong if I use only one set of armor for everything.

#19 davadude

davadude

    Seraph Guardian

  • News Correspondents
  • 1319 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostStormDragonZ, on 23 December 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

I must be playing this game wrong if I use only one set of armor for everything.

No worries, most people clearly do.  I've never met anyone in game that uses more than two sets (some have armor sets based around extra healing power for boss encounters, and zerkers).
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#20 Lady Rhonwyn

Lady Rhonwyn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1067 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GWO]

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostStormDragonZ, on 23 December 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

I must be playing this game wrong if I use only one set of armor for everything.
And I must be playing it doubly so as I don't even have a beserker armour!

#21 Jazebel

Jazebel

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 23 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:32 AM

I actually got 4 armor sets on my guardian. 1 is full berserker for dungeons, 1 is full knights for WvW zerging, 1 is full PVT with soldier runes for more support in WvW zerging, and the last one Cleric for more healing in WvW zerging :)

I'm only going for Ascended on my necro and that will be my FoTM main.

My ranger has two sets, 1 for WvW roaming and 1 for WvW zerging :).

And as alot of people already said, you only need AR in fractals, so I'm sticking to exotic armor for dungeons and WvW where I won't get hit with a AR gearcheck when I enter the enemies keep.

#22 rukia

rukia

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 601 posts
  • Location:Oregon
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

Zerker since release, my build has hardly ever changed nor has my gear.

I guess the only other set you could want is for condition builds but let's be honest that shit is useless in a pve setting.

#23 ObscureThreat

ObscureThreat

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:30 AM

I just have a mix of knights and zerkers gear which I switch between WvWvW and dungeons/fractals. Honestly, since only zerkers is required for dungeons/fractals you don't need AR on other sets. You should be complaining about how ascended armor being so grindy to get, makes it impossible to have more than one set for PVP.

#24 typographie

typographie

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1974 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostZhaitan, on 22 December 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

This very specific mindset is the biggest failure of a game that has more than 1 armor stat options.

Its not a "mindset," its the reality of the game mechanics. I think you'd have an excellent point here, if there was a real, tangible reason in the game to have multiple armor sets for different situations. From what I can tell, one has to put together quite a contrivance to even justify having a second set in PvE most of the time.

For the record, that's not how I'd prefer the game to work either, but its the way it does work. I'd like them to fix that first, imo.

Edited by typographie, 30 December 2013 - 11:17 PM.


#25 Epixors

Epixors

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LSL]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

View Posttypographie, on 30 December 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Its not a "mindset," its the reality of the game mechanics. I think you'd have an excellent point here, if there was a real, tangible reason in the game to have multiple armor sets for different situations. From what I can tell, one has to put together quite a contrivance to even justify having a second set in PvE most of the time.

For the record, that's not how I'd prefer the game to work either, but its the way it does work. I'd like them to fix that first, imo.

Honestly I would hate to have multiple sets, first of all just for the cost but really in a game I feel like 1 armor set should be enough for a particular area in the game (PvE, WvW zerg, WvW roaming, PvP, etc), swapping constantly would just annoy me. What you change should be your utilities as they are the things giving you flexibility, they should work on more/better utilities instead of forcing everyone to bring their Cleric's gear to a dungeon or something.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users